Conspiracies against BB!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Conspiracies against BB!

Our resident escapee from the psycho ward (Crazy Rusty) has hurled the accusation that the football world has conspired against our beloved HC.

Let's examine his charges.

1. The league offices conspire against BB.

Goodell has a bias and from spygate to game officiating he has had it out for BB.

2. The media conspires against BB.

Hordes of media and especially many in the Boston media have it out for BB.

3. Brady, and offensive coaches have conspired against BB.

Despite BB having a reputation for being a stern taskmaster, somehow Brady and his coaches have undermined BB's desires on the field.

Do you support any of his claims?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Conspiracies against BB!

1. The league in collusion with Bob Kraft agreed to "punish" the Patriots for something that was a league wide issue with all teams breaking what had always been a rule but wasn't enforced, thus taking away a 1st round pick from a team that had just gone back to back as champions and could afford to take the punishment with two #1 picks.

2. The media dislikes Belichick since his days in Cleveland for being bland, disingenuous, misleading and generally unhelpful in their attempt to gain information about his teams.  In his defense he does it to the betterment of his team.

3. The Patriot's are the most poached team in terms of both coaching and player talent, it has been the biggest deterrent in their quest for their next Super Bowl.

Rusty has all sorts of wild theories, the most ridiculous is that it's Brady's fault they can't win another Super Bowl, as dumb as that sounds it's not any more ridiculous than your notion that BB owes all his success to Brady.  

Football is the ultimate team sport, from owner, to coach, to player all the way down to the strength coaches and water boys.  It has rosters that when you include practice squad players range up to 60+ players, when you include the rest of the staff you're talking management and payroll for hundreds of people.

Winning a Super Bowl is not easy, even if Belichick has made it seem easy and spoiled a hanful of fans here.  

All the nitpicking and sniping amongst "fans" here would be funny if it weren't so pathetic, try to remember the 80's the next time you decide to knock our coaches or players.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Our resident escapee from the psycho ward (Crazy Rusty) has hurled the accusation that the football world has conspired against our beloved HC.

Let's examine his charges.

1. The league offices conspire against BB.

Goodell has a bias and from spygate to game officiating he has had it out for BB.

2. The media conspires against BB.

Hordes of media and especially many in the Boston media have it out for BB.

3. Brady, and offensive coaches have conspired against BB.

Despite BB having a reputation for being a stern taskmaster, somehow Brady and his coaches have undermined BB's desires on the field.

Do you support any of his claims?

of course not!  this is just Rusty's combination of arrogance/self-importance, paranoia and general silliness and some -not all, not you- Pats fans classless sore losing

then again it is true that Bellichick taught Knute Rockne and Vince Lombardi everything they knew and that every other coach and GM in the NFL follow Bellichick's every move like clueless children so maybe he has a point!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

1. The league in collusion with Bob Kraft agreed to "punish" the Patriots for something that was a league wide issue with all teams breaking what had always been a rule but wasn't enforced, thus taking away a 1st round pick from a team that had just gone back to back as champions and could afford to take the punishment with two #1 picks.

2. The media dislikes Belichick since his days in Cleveland for being bland, disingenuous, misleading and generally unhelpful in their attempt to gain information about his teams.  In his defense he does it to the betterment of his team.

3. The Patriot's are the most poached team in terms of both coaching and player talent, it has been the biggest deterrent in their quest for their next Super Bowl.

Rusty has all sorts of wild theories, the most ridiculous is that it's Brady's fault they can't win another Super Bowl, as dumb as that sounds it's not any more ridiculous than your notion that BB owes all his success to Brady.  

Football is the ultimate team sport, from owner, to coach, to player all the way down to the strength coaches and water boys.  It has rosters that when you include practice squad players range up to 60+ players, when you include the rest of the staff you're talking management and payroll for hundreds of people.

Winning a Super Bowl is not easy, even if Belichick has made it seem easy and spoiled a hanful of fans here.  

All the nitpicking and sniping amongst "fans" here would be funny if it weren't so pathetic, try to remember the 80's the next time you decide to knock our coaches or players.

It's a ridiclous "theory", that, factually, Brady has underperformed in the postseason since 2007?

How can a fact be a theory? That makes no sense.  Either state how he has played up to par or explain how a fact is a "theory".

Meanwhile, BB has been brilliant as GM and coach since 2010. I am not sure Brady wins that MVP in 2010 if BB doesn't draft the TEs and deal Moss, while reqcuiring Moss. He also promoted BJGE who ran for 1000 yards as lead back in only 12 games.

I am very confident in my factual and objective analysis and I am the one who keeps telling Babe and his trolls that you need to appreciate this NOW because we are witnessing the greatest run of any NFL team in the history of the game because of the cap.

The spoiled fans are the ones who blame BB because they take the anti-BB media bait.

Truth.

It's used in two forms:

1.  For the rest of NFL fans to enjoy BB being slammed.

2. To hide Brady's subpar play and pin it on BB, exlclusively.

Talk to any non Pats fan outside NE and it's one statement or another:

1. I hate them and I am jealous of them, but respect them.

2. I hate them, they cheat and I am so jealous I cannot respect them.

You find the latter usually with AFC fanbases and the former with NFC fanbases.

Maybe if Babe left his bubble, he'd realize BB is the one that provides this for us, not Brady.

I am a huge BB fan. However don't you have to admit he has struggled nightly with the defense over the last 3 years from both coaching and the Front Office? Granted the d's looks like it is turning around but let's be honest it cost them a Superbowl.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

It's a ridiclous "theory", that, factually, Brady has underperformed in the postseason since 2007?

[QUOTE]

I just got finished saying football is a team sport.  Brady didn't underperform in the playoffs, the Patriot's offense did.     And your general hating on Brady is about as equally ridiculous as Babe's hating on Belichick, both are unfounded and examples of entitled fandom run amok.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I just got finished saying football is a team sport.  Brady didn't underperform in the playoffs, the Patriot's offense did.     And your general hating on Brady is about as equally ridiculous as Babe's hating on Belichick, both are unfounded and examples of entitled fandom run amok.

well remember woz it's also far easier for Rusty to crap on brady relentlessly than to actually give an opponent any credit...obviously the pats played themselves anytime they lose because in rusty's twisted mind the Pats are never beaten-they beat themselves and/or the other team was "lucky

i for one am amazed how bad brady has been considering there is no one is playing defense against him

btw was I right about ur daughters ages?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I am a huge BB fan. However don't you have to admit he has struggled nightly with the defense over the last 3 years from both coaching and the Front Office? Granted the d's looks like it is turning around but let's be honest it cost them a Superbowl.

My take is this.  We had statistically one of the better defenses in the NFL from 2000-2009.  It couldn't go on forever.  Guys get old.  Look at the 2007 defense which was the last one of those defenses that we went to the SB with.  Wilfork is still on the team and with the exception of Samuel and Seymour literally every single other guy on that roster is out of the league (and Seymour could be done now).  Having to turn over that many guys is hard, particularly since the Pats have continued to win at such a high clip that they get hurt in terms of draft position.  Maybe the transition could have been a bit smoother if a few more draft picks panned out, but despite the bumps I think we have a nice core of young guys on D and we were a few plays away from winning another SB.  I think we have things pretty good all things considered.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

How is Brady's poor play that I am watching "unfounded"? Stop using words that don't apply to what you're attempting to say.

Me admitting we aren't going anywhere without better QB play is not "unfounded". It's the truth.

Ravens D allowed plenty of points (21 in Denver), 31 in the SB, and why did they win? Flacco's play.

It is a QB/Offensive league.

Who is our QB?   It's not like the talent around him isn't any good, the O Line is bad or Brady prefers being under Center.

Do you really enjoy watching him play like crap in that shotgun, dude?  2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.

And, I'll give him a pass in 2009, but that's 4 postseasons where his preference isn't the answer.

Do you think Eli Manning tells Tom Coughlin what he prefers, or does he just realize he needs a run game to help him out? 

I am well aware it's a team sport, but BB is not responsible for inept play on offense, including Brady.

He's not a player. He can't throw the ball, catch it, run with it or block.

If BB is pulling Grady Little moves in these games, then fine. Blame it on BB the coach, but this isn't what is happening.

Admit if an move and stop spinning. We don't win another SB without Tom Brady improving his abilities at QB.

Thanks for explaining to me what I was really attempting to say.  

You say Brady is the problem, Babe says Belichick is the problem, I suggest that winning isn't as easy as a better draft pick, Brady playing a smidgen better or "not insisting that he play in shotgun" (WHICH YOU HAVE NO PROOF OF BY THE WAY) which makes it an unfounded opinion because you have no proof this is so.

They haven't won because a whole range of things went wrong; injuries, poor play calling, loss of momentum, fumbles, missed assignments and not the least of which is the team opposite them. Jints might be a troll from another team but the fact remains those defenders on the other side of the ball get paid to stop you, they deserve some credit while we're at it.  

You guys are always looking for the black cat hiding around the corner as to why we didn't a ring, the answer is simple, 32 teams are trying to accomplish the same thing and the team standing at the end had the right amount of luck, health and good play to accomplish this.  It isn't simply that we were talent deficient from poor drafts (dumb premise) or that Brady is a malcontent selfish superstar (equally as dumb). 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=lundblad_jeremy&id=6022843

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

That was one of many that pulled up on google, when you have hundreds of opinions than opinions will vary.  Belichick said it best when asked why they couldn't run the ball in the post season, and I'm paraphrasing but he said "we couldn't run the ball, but we couldn't pass the ball either."

Theres 11 guys on the field at one time, it takes everybody doing their job to make it work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

They haven't won because a whole range of things went wrong; injuries, poor play calling, loss of momentum, fumbles, missed assignments and not the least of which is the team opposite them. Jints might be a troll from another team but the fact remains those defenders on the other side of the ball get paid to stop you, they deserve some credit while were at it.  

You guys are always looking for the black cat hiding around the corner as to why we didn't a ring, the answer is simple, 32 teams are trying to accomplish the same thing and the team standing at the end had the right amount of luck, health and good play to accomplish this.  It isn't simply that we were talent deficient from poor drafts (dumb premise) or that Brady is a malcontent selfish superstar (equally as dumb). 

Yes, this can't be said enough. It's about peaking in the postseason. Look at nearly every SB winner (and some that came up just short, like Arizona a few years ago), they weren't the best teams, they didn't have the best personnel or any of that, they didn't even necessarily have the best health. They just caught fire at the exact right time, they got some breaks (e.g., Rahim Moore losing his grip on reality vs. Jacoby Jones) and they capitalized.

The Pats caught some lousy breaks the last few years (Gronk, for example), made uncharacteristic mistakes (e.g., Welker) and simply weren't playing their best football in the playoffs. 

It's not complicated, and it's simply wrong to say that if they had signed Dashon Goldson or drafted somebody other than Tavon Wilson or Ron Brace, that they'd have won more SBs. There's just no evidence of that, whatsoever.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Why is anyone even paying attention to Rusty anymore??

All Rusty does is sell wolf ticket here.

You can't believe anything he says nor should you... He has an agenda here.

BTW, what user name is he posting uner these days?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

C'mon Russ, not again With this Brady stuff...sure. He and everyone else could have played better..I don't think both SB loses are solely on him.

like you said, if Gronk is healthy, different outcome. The 1st SB loss against the gints was a collective meltdown led by Dante's army. How many sacks , pressures and hits did they give up? The giants d line was both very talented and playing out of their minds. We were over matched on the line. 

all roads do not lead back to Brady. Yes he assumes part of the loss, but as Wozz said, its a team game. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Further, I'd like to point out, the column that is well sourced (the one Wozzy posts above), only has 6 total comments in the comments section.

Why?

The teenie bopper kidlings who post over there are all BBWs. Keep in mind, this was actually written before his last two postseasons and poor AFC title games. I fully realize other players on offense are also responsible, but the QB is the most important position.

Tom Terrific? Not recently in playoffs With 12 picks in last eight playoff games, Brady just might have something to prove Updated: January 16, 2011, 5:08 PM ET By Jeremy Lundblad | ESPNBoston.com

No one can question Tom Brady's playoff credentials, but he nevertheless has something to prove on Sunday against the New York Jets.

Only Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana have won more Super Bowl titles at quarterback. Brady set the NFL record for consecutive postseason wins with 10 -- and that was to start his career. Sunday, he could break a tie with Bradshaw and John Elway for the second-most playoff wins in NFL history, and he's just two wins shy of Montana's record.

So what could he possibly have left to prove?

Quite simply that he still has that playoff magic.

In the glow of another MVP season, it's hard to remember that Brady has been just average in the postseason since the New England Patriots' last Super Bowl title six years ago. In that span, Brady has the same number of playoff wins (five) as Matt Hasselbeck.

It's not just a reflection of the team surrounding him.

Tom Brady, Postseason Career  1st 10 GamesLast 8 Games W-L 10-0 4-4 TD-Int 14-3 14-12 Int pct 0.9 3.9 Passer rating 91.1 79.4

Before he started breaking passing records, Brady found success through mistake-free football. In winning his first 10 playoff starts, he tossed 14 touchdowns to only three interceptions. But in the last eight postseason games, Brady has thrown 12 picks and the Patriots are 4-4.

There's no clearer example than last year's playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens. Recall how the first four Patriots possessions ended: Brady fumble, 3-and-out, interception, interception.

It's the only time Brady has ever thrown two first-quarter picks in his NFL career. The Patriots had zero net passing yards in the quarter.

In the end, Brady threw three interceptions -- one fewer than he had in 16 games this season. He finished the game with a 49.1 passer rating, his lowest ever in a postseason game and lowest in any game since 2006. His 3.67 yards per attempt were his fourth-fewest in 161 career starts.

Plenty of other things went wrong that day -- namely a run defense that allowed 111 yards in the first quarter and 234 in total. However, Brady's sloppy game stands out as almost unfathomable, given his play in 2010.

One poor playoff performance could be written off, but that was just the latest rough outing.

[+] EnlargeTom Brady Jim Rogash/Getty ImagesThe only time in his career that Tom Brady has thrown two first-quarter interceptions was in last year's playoff loss to the Ravens.

In Super Bowl XLII, Brady only had one turnover (a lost fumble) but struggled to find any rhythm. He had just 23 passing yards through the first quarter and only 82 at halftime. In a 16-0 season in which 13 of his touchdown passes were thrown more than 20 yards, Brady finished that Super Bowl 0-for-8 on long balls -- all against a Giants defense he torched for 356 yards less than six weeks before.

To get to that game, Brady had to get bailed out by his defense after throwing three interceptions in the AFC Championship Game against the San Diego Chargers, who were essentially without LaDainian Tomlinson.

Put together, Brady has eight turnovers (six interceptions, two lost fumbles) in his past three postseason games. That's the same number of turnovers he has in his last 20 regular-season games. The same quarterback who hasn't been picked off in 335 attempts has six in his last 118 postseason passes.

Brady has gone 57 straight regular-season games without throwing three or more interceptions. Yet, he's thrown three in two of his last three (and three of his last six) playoff games.

This isn't to say Brady has been all bad. He's sprinkled in brilliance amid mediocrity. Three years ago against Jacksonville, Brady set records by completing his first 16 passes and connecting on 92.9 percent of his total attempts. However, looking at his performances as a whole, Brady hasn't approached the level he set before turning 28 years old.

The 2010 Patriots are built on protecting the football, setting a modern NFL record with only 10 turnovers. But their recent postseason history calls into question whether that will continue.

Patriots in Postseason Games Under Bill Belichick  GmsTurnoversW-L '00-04 9 6 9-0 '05-Now 9 18 5-4

Can New England return to mistake-free postseason football? It's the same formula that brought home three titles courtesy of only six turnovers in nine playoff games. Since 2005, the Patriots have 18 turnovers in nine games, including 11 in their four playoff losses.

If turnovers don't get to the Patriots, sluggish starts might.

New England is scoreless in the first quarter in each of its last three playoff games. Over the last eight postseason games combined, the Patriots have scored a total of 24 first-quarter points.

Here again, Brady deserves some of the blame.

Tom Brady in First Quarter, Postseason Career  1st 10 GamesLast 8 Games Comp pct 62.2 52.9 Pass yds 534 314 TD-Int 3-0 1-3 Passer rating 93.2 52.0

He's thrown one first-quarter touchdown pass in his last eight postseason games. Add to that three interceptions and a 52.9 completion percentage, and Brady has a 52.0 passer rating in the first quarter during this stretch, according to STATS LLC.

That includes his perfect 7 for 7 performance against Jacksonville three years ago. Take out that game, and Brady's completion percentage in the first quarter drops to 47.5. His passer rating plummets to 37.1.

Of course, a strong start is indirectly tied to playing mistake free. The offense inevitably takes more gambles when playing from behind. Consider that Brady has thrown only five interceptions in 431 postseason passes while tied or with the lead. But when trailing, Brady has 10 picks in 206 attempts. That's more than four times as frequently.

The Patriots only trailed in four of Brady's first 10 postseason games, but they've played from behind at some point in each of their last eight.

This is another area New England's recent postseason struggles differ starkly from its 2010 season.

Patriots Blog

Reiss Mike Reiss (pictured), Mike Rodak and Field Yates have you covered throughout the season. Blog.
    • Send mailbag question
    • ESPNBoston.com
    • AFC East blog

During their current eight-game win streak, the Patriots have scored 72 points in the first quarter. That's 10 more than any other team and three times as many as they've scored in the first quarter of their last eight playoff games.

In this regard, the Patriots have the advantage of facing the Jets, a team that last scored an offensive touchdown in the first quarter in Week 4. Including last week against the Colts, the Jets have scored 19 first-quarter points in their last 13 games.

While Mark Sanchez threw one first-quarter touchdown pass in 2010, Brady was masterful early in games. He finished second in the NFL with eight first-quarter touchdowns, while not throwing a single interception.

With historically low turnovers and strong first quarters during the regular season, Brady found success where he's recently failed in the postseason. Will it carry over to Sunday?

Brady will undoubtedly go down as one of the greatest postseason quarterbacks in NFL history.

Now, he can begin proving there's still history to be written.

Jeremy Lundblad is a researcher with ESPN Stats & Information. He provides statistical analysis for ESPNBoston.com.

Good read, but don't forget how that ravens game started. We got in a hole fast...welker was out...Brady's receivers were moss and Edelman...no te's, no running game. The pats o wasn't built to withstand a personnel loss...this year they should be able to absorb it better with a deeper roster..,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

C'mon Russ, not again With this Brady stuff...sure. He and everyone else could have played better..I don't think both SB loses are solely on him.

like you said, if Gronk is healthy, different outcome. The 1st SB loss against the gints was a collective meltdown led by Dante's army. How many sacks , pressures and hits did they give up? The giants d line was both very talented and playing out of their minds. We were over matched on the line. 

all roads do not lead back to Brady. Yes he assumes part of the loss, but as Wozz said, its a team game. 

Just defending myself.  Babe is trolling and called me out.  I have a right to state facts and realities next to my opinion.

To deny BB takes all the heat for our best offensive players not executing in big games is outrageous.

His GM work, coaching, the team trending up at the end of the year, every year, ready to make a run is all because of him. He doesn't let them get to far ahead, he gets to work as a team, etc.

A dropped ball or a high throw is not on him.  

I know Russ. Bb is a masterful coach and great gm.

be careful here..if you hang a loss on Brady, then you have to hang a win on him as well. Given it usually takes the defense until November to start clicking, the offense gets them into the postseason...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Until you stand in the pocket , seeing things collapse on you and at he same time  recievers with barely any separation, needing to make the decision in a fraction of a second  to throw the ball away, take a sack or fire it to someone think is about to get open then it is difficult to talk about under/overperforming.

My take is the 2 SBs and some of the recent playoff losses Brady had very little margin in time or space for much of those games. Things were congested around the line of scrimmage and those were very active defenses makeing big plays. Brady plays on the edge in his ability to process defenses, I think with a little less time he gets into the not humanly possible realm.

My take is it has not been Bradys fault as much as the way the offense has been set up. They are set up to either score at will or be nearly shut down...is where I agree with Rusty..the under center based O will be more consistent.

Also don't know why it needs to be Brady or BB that should get he credit for the sucess here. If you have one great player OR a great coach it does not give you a 12 year run of winnig the division and making the playoffs nearly every year...you need both a HOF QB and HOF  coach.

Sections
Shortcuts