CONTRARIAN was right: BB made OCHO IRRELEVANT, should he have asked for his release months ago?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

CONTRARIAN was right: BB made OCHO IRRELEVANT, should he have asked for his release months ago?

if i'm advising ocho objectively, the writing's on the wall. time to politely meet with bb and request your walking papers. he is still useful and can help a number of contending teams as a guaranteed relevant #3 receiver at the least. heck, he has more left than Moss and he is a #2 starter in san fran. i think its almost disgraceful what bb is doing to ocho. if you were not sold on the man, just tell him you want to cut him but with the least salary cap hit as possible and be a gentleman about it. its almost like we are rubbing his nose in the dirt.

he wasnt a bad guy and really doesnt deserve this. lets see, with gaffney back in the mix along with branch and lloyd all ahead of him on the depth chart at his position, i dont care if he's the star of practice everyday and dominates in the preseason (if he gets the opportunity), its a CLIQUE. despite the PR BS about going to whoever's open, tb will be targeting his BOYS no matter what and lobbying for their playing times. heck, lloyd may be the odd guy out. gaffney if not mistaken dominated in denver as well. josh likes and trusts him more than lloyd. so our starting core will be herny-gronk-jabar and wes with lloyd as the all-purpose 5th wheel. branch will be inactive or relegated to the ocho role of last year (no way he's getting cut barring injury). the game has been fixed.

even stevie wonder can see that stallworth has no shot at making this team barring injury and the 7th rounder will be on the practice squad regardless of production. barring injury, if ocho does somehow make the team, 15 catches and 276 yards will seem like great production in comparison. he'll be lucky to see the field or the gameday roster. plus he doesnt play special teams like branch but  unlike slater and edelman.

i just dont see the point or a role for ocho. he is better elsewhere at this point as we are likewise without him. sometimes things just dont work out. y postpone the inevitable misery for all sides?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

Re: OCHO is IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release?

In Response to OCHO is IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release?:
     if i'm advising ocho objectively, the writing's on the wall. time to politely meet with bb and request your walking papers. he is still useful and can help a number of contending teams as a guaranteed relevant #3 receiver at the least. heck, he has more left than Moss and he is a #2 starter in san fran. i think its almost disgraceful what bb is doing to ocho. if you were not sold on the man, just tell him you want to cut him but with the least salary cap hit as possible and be a gentleman about it. its almost like we are rubbing his nose in the dirt. he wasnt a bad guy and really doesnt deserve this. lets see, with gaffney back in the mix along with branch and lloyd all ahead of him on the depth chart at his position, i dont care if he's the star of practice everyday and dominates in the preseason (if he gets the opportunity), its a CLIQUE. despite the PR BS about going to whoever's open, tb will be targeting his BOYS no matter what and lobbying for their playing times. heck, lloyd may be the odd guy out. gaffney if not mistaken dominated in denver as well. josh likes and trusts him more than lloyd. so our starting core will be herny-gronk-jabar and wes with lloyd as the all-purpose 5th wheel. branch will be inactive or relegated to the ocho role of last year (no way he's getting cut barring injury). the game has been fixed. even stevie wonder can see that stallworth has no shot at making this team barring injury and the 7th rounder will be on the practice squad regardless of production. barring injury, if ocho does somehow make the team, 15 catches and 276 yards will seem like great production in comparison. he'll be lucky to see the field or the gameday roster. plus he doesnt play special teams like branch but  unlike slater and edelman. i just dont see the point or a role for ocho. he is better elsewhere at this point as we are likewise without him. sometimes things just dont work out. y postpone the inevitable misery for all sides?
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

How in the world do you know that BB wants to cut him? for all you know he might be our best or 2nd best receiver out of camp. I just think if BB wanted to cut him without giving him a second shot, it would of been done by now. He wouldnt of restructured his contract. Just wait and see what happens, ppl on these boards like to act like they know whats really going on but has NO CLUE!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: OCHO is IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release?:
    In Response to OCHO is IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release? : How in the world do you know that BB wants to cut him? for all you know he might be our best or 2nd best receiver out of camp. I just think if BB wanted to cut him without giving him a second shot, it would of been done by now. He wouldnt of restructured his contract. Just wait and see what happens, ppl on these boards like to act like they know whats really going on but has NO CLUE!!!
    Posted by 81patsfan
    look, when my wife tells me she's going to vegas for a week with an ex-byfriend who is single and she has often talked about being the best sexx she ever had, i'm sorry but i'm going to suspect some hanky panky. likewise with ocho. its clear bb has him around strictly as injury insurance. he has been neutered. its better for the ocho brand that he is relevant but stinking rather than be totally irrelevant. he doesnt play special teams to justify contributing there, as a flanker no way he's playing ahead of gaffney, lloyd or even branch. if all are healthy, he will either be cut or be way down on the bench or simply inactive. do you see bb bringing in loads of tight ends? do you see him going after peyton manning or bringing in every free agent qb? dont be a moron.. if bb had any confidence whatsoever in ocho being a star receiver, he would not have ELEVEN receivers on the roster, 6 of whom have credibility. everyone knows that wes is going to sign prior to pre-season games, so that cant be it. again, THE WRITING is on the wall. not about bb, about life. if your boss keeps loading up on your position, it should be a hint!

if your girlfriend keeps wanting to date other people and have "competition", that should also be a hint! called LIFE!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I know that I am in the minority here but I feel that he still has something left. A guy like him doesn't drop off that dramatically in just one year. He may have lost some but not that much. 

Last year was tough for him but I think he bounces back next season. He was getting open the few times he was out there but the ball wasn't going his way very much and other times the throw was off target.. He caught everything but the really bad drop against the bills. In the super bowl he had the biggest gain of the day then went back to  the bench. I think a lot of it was that he just wasn't getting on page with Brady and the offense. If he can get it down this season he bounces back, imo.

Like 81patsfan said, we have no idea what BB is thinking. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

In Response to Re: OCHO is IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release? : look, when my wife tells me she's going to vegas for a week with an ex-byfriend who is single and she has often talked about being the best sexx she ever had, i'm sorry but i'm going to suspect some hanky panky. likewise with ocho. its clear bb has him around strictly as injury insurance. he has been neutered. its better for the ocho brand that he is relevant but stinking rather than be totally irrelevant. he doesnt play special teams to justify contributing there, as a flanker no way he's playing ahead of gaffney, lloyd or even branch. if all are healthy, he will either be cut or be way down on the bench or simply inactive. do you see bb bringing in loads of tight ends? do you see him going after peyton manning or bringing in every free agent qb? dont be a moron.. if bb had any confidence whatsoever in ocho being a star receiver, he would not have ELEVEN receivers on the roster, 6 of whom have credibility. everyone knows that wes is going to sign prior to pre-season games, so that cant be it. again, THE WRITING is on the wall. not about bb, about life. if your boss keeps loading up on your position, it should be a hint! if your girlfriend keeps wanting to date other people and have "competition", that should also be a hint! called LIFE!

You make all good valid points but what your missing is that BB brings in "competition" every year to push his players to be better so that they dont become comfortable. Every reciever on our roster should be worried cause BB will cut anyone he feels isnt goin to mesh well in the locker room and contribute. Hes not looking for a superstar receiver, "maybe one reason randy isnt here anymore" he's looking for contributors who can be productive the way he wants, BB clearly said that "He's not trying to collect a bunch of talent but trying to build a team, you cant do that with every player crying for the ball and "superstar players" sometimes if not most of the times do that.  For all we know they could carry 8 receivers Josh McD loves his 3 n 4 sets. Hey he might get cut but i dont see it before training camp and unless he just cant "get it" i dont see it after either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I don't think they would have bothered to restrucure his contract if he not wanted back in camp and if he did not want back in.

That said didn't we hear some rumour that Ocho was affected in part by being in O'Brien's dog house? That perhaps with McDaniels there will be a better chemistry?

Personally I am not holding my breath. Certainly I hope he rebounds. But I do expect him in camp. Nonetheless, he is no lock to make the team. Everyone in camp will have a contract. Most of the receivers will be in stiff competition. I only see Welker and Lloyd as looking like locks. Some others more likely than some to stick. Underwood is one I think will not be here. Gonzalez will depend in large part on how far back he has come by the time BB needs to make up his mind on him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

I don't think they would have bothered to restrucure his contract if he not wanted back in camp and if he did not want back in. That said didn't we hear some rumour that Ocho was affected in part by being in O'Brien's dog house? That perhaps with McDaniels there will be a better chemistry? Personally I am not holding my breath. Certainly I hope he rebounds. But I do expect him in camp. Nonetheless, he is no lock to make the team. Everyone in camp will have a contract. Most of the receivers will be in stiff competition. I only see Welker and Lloyd as looking like locks. Some others more likely than some to stick. Underwood is one I think will not be here. Gonzalez will depend in large part on how far back he has come by the time BB needs to make up his mind on him.
    Posted by portfolio1
    i have no doubt ocho can still pay. thats not the issue. fact is not about bb cutting him, its about him being smart enough to read the tea leaves. even if he makes the team, he will a mr. irrelevant. frankly he deserves better and should want better for he can still be a star in this league. seau didnt play much but he contributed in every game he was healthy and on the active roster, ditto with haynesworth and even gerard warren.

my point is ocho should want to be a RELEVANT contributor at this stage. he's not dougie flutie at the end. you think flutie would have settled for that role at age 33? you have limited contributiry elite years, y keep WASTING it? AGAIN, the real issue with ocho, gonzo, branch, stall, herny, lloyd, and gaff is that NONE of them play special teams. you cant have that many guys on your active roster esp at the back end who do not play special teams. herny, lloyd and gaff are LOCKS to contribute and make the team. bla bla and bla, the other 4 guys are just extra fodder meat. they will not be playing relevant minutes even if they make it or even be locks to make the gameday rosters. edelman and slater will be available to take all extra reps the regulars don't or can't.

lastly, its a total myth to say bb always has competition or that he wouldnt have restructured  ocho's deal if he were going to cut him. bb is just protecting bb in case  there's an injury. ocho has fallen out of favor, regardless of the bs bb or tb may throw out there. he will not get a real second look barring those 3-4 guys ahead of him get injured. where's the competition for gronk or tb or wilfork? he ONLY brings competition for areas he inherently isnt comfortable with. 10 guys at a position means he doesnt want the previous guy to be trusted.. ever! ocho should beat tb and bb to the punch to max out his options and not get suckered into the inevitable bs, regardless of how well he plays. with 2 positions available, i'm betting tb and bb lean toward old reliable branch and gonzo (he can play some special teams, he used to in his early indy days). its SEE YA OCHO!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I've been touting the 6× Pro Bowler since he got here.
    He's making me look bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

In Response to OCHO is IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release?:
     if i'm advising ocho objectively, the writing's on the wall. time to politely meet with bb and request your walking papers. he is still useful and can help a number of contending teams as a guaranteed relevant #3 receiver at the least. heck, he has more left than Moss and he is a #2 starter in san fran. i think its almost disgraceful what bb is doing to ocho. if you were not sold on the man, just tell him you want to cut him but with the least salary cap hit as possible and be a gentleman about it. its almost like we are rubbing his nose in the dirt. he wasnt a bad guy and really doesnt deserve this. lets see, with gaffney back in the mix along with branch and lloyd all ahead of him on the depth chart at his position, i dont care if he's the star of practice everyday and dominates in the preseason (if he gets the opportunity), its a CLIQUE. despite the PR BS about going to whoever's open, tb will be targeting his BOYS no matter what and lobbying for their playing times. heck, lloyd may be the odd guy out. gaffney if not mistaken dominated in denver as well. josh likes and trusts him more than lloyd. so our starting core will be herny-gronk-jabar and wes with lloyd as the all-purpose 5th wheel. branch will be inactive or relegated to the ocho role of last year (no way he's getting cut barring injury). the game has been fixed. even stevie wonder can see that stallworth has no shot at making this team barring injury and the 7th rounder will be on the practice squad regardless of production. barring injury, if ocho does somehow make the team, 15 catches and 276 yards will seem like great production in comparison. he'll be lucky to see the field or the gameday roster. plus he doesnt play special teams like branch but  unlike slater and edelman. i just dont see the point or a role for ocho. he is better elsewhere at this point as we are likewise without him. sometimes things just dont work out. y postpone the inevitable misery for all sides?

How much time does it take you to think about idiotic posts like this? I mean you must be a freaking genious, because I couldn't think of so many dumb ideas and have enough time to post them daily... just saying.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Branch has a gimpy leg, Welker may hold out and Ocho might be the biggest bargain #4 or #5 WR in the NFL at 925K.

If BB was going to cut him, he would have already done it.  Good to hear he and Lloyd in early working with Brady. Those two are really the keys to Brady getting back to working the flanks again AND looking to each side as a deep threat, v.s. HOPING for one deep threat on just the one side (Branch).  Branch is the best at it, but no one respects his deep stuff, so they play in on Branch a lot.

Anyone looking to dump a valued commodity like Ocho doesn't get it.  I, for one, am looking forward to his preseason after his first full camp. And, besides, he can learn some pointers from Lloyd, a guy who is technically knew taking balls from Brady anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Branch has a gimpy leg, Welker may hold out and Ocho might be the biggest bargain #4 or #5 WR in the NFL at 925K. If BB was going to cut him, he would have already done it.  Good to hear he and Lloyd in early working with Brady. Those two are really the keys to Brady getting back to working the flanks again AND looking to each side as a deep threat, v.s. HOPING for one deep threat on just the one side (Branch).  Branch is the best at it, but no one respects his deep stuff, so they play in on Branch a lot. Anyone looking to dump a valued commodity like Ocho doesn't get it.  I, for one, am looking forward to his preseason after his first full camp. And, besides, he can learn some pointers from Lloyd, a guy who is technically knew taking balls from Brady anyway.
    Posted by BassFishing
    u forgot about gaffney comrade. how many balls can brady throw to the flank when there are FOUR established and very competent guys out there potentially. i dont want bb to cut ocho, i want ocho to cut ocho ! what's in it for him? how does he win in this deal? he has been grossly disrespected professionally. what competition? this competition  is RIGGED against ocho. unless branch's leg has fallen off, tb behind closed doors will vouch for him over ocho every day and twice on sunday. u think he or josh will bat for ocho over their boy GAF? ocho has no biys on that offense.. NONE! even stallworth, has boys. he's been to dc with gaf, he already has a rapport with josh and tb and welk. seriously, dont you guys get this? i dont care what the plan is or what bb BSed to ocho, the circumstances dictate the reality and how thigs willl gravitate. OCHO is the odd guy out my friends!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Ocho needs to play it out here and the team needs him as well. I respect him for what he has done in coming here and being quiet even though few balls came his way.  He needs to stay on plan and make it work for his career and his integrity. He has already put in a lot of work here and he needs to follow it up so it bears fruit. I sense it will happen (unless he is injured). Best to Ocho!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I have to agree with Rusty on this.  I am as big of a Deion Branch fan as you will find.  I just love the way the guy plays, and he obviously has built a remarkable chemistry with Brady over the years.  Great reciever in his prime, but unfortunately Deion's prime is a few years in the rear-view at this point.  He barely made it through last season, and I have some serious doubts about his ability to stay healthy and contribute at a high level this upcoming season.  At this point I would pick Ocho to make the roster over Deion.  One positive about his lack of playing time last year is that he should be 100% healthy going into this season.  With a year in the Patriot's system under his belt, I'm sure Ocho will be much more confident and comfortable going into camp this year.  I'm sure BB, Brady, and the rest of the NE organization are looking forward to a much improved Ocho this year.  Hate to say it, but we may have seen the last of Branch in NE.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-Fan-In-Oz. Show Pats-Fan-In-Oz's posts

I have to agree that it's more likely Branch as the one who's off the bus, not Ocho. Though, who knows, maybe they'll keep him around for depth and let him lick his wounds and heal up and be there for TB later in the season, if he's needed. I'm hoping that Ocho and Brady manage to get on the same page this year and that he earns Brady's trust. I reckon that's likely with a full offseason to get in sync.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: OCHO is IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release? : What kind of an idiot would claim that Ocho was some kind of a bargain "at 925K" when his actual cap number is 2.6 mil in 2012?  What kind of fool thinks that the base salary is relevant in any way?  Of course, not only is Ocho taking up 2.6 mil on this years cap, if BB dumps him the way he did all of the other dead weight (Bolden, TBC, etc etc etc), Nochos cap number goes up even higher than the 3 mil each the patsies are paying Bolden & Light this year.  When you consider that BB is already sitting on about 14 mil in dead money right now, what's another 3 mil, right?
    Posted by JetMangione

GOOD point. who's bolden though? still, perhaps with that cap umber, ocho stays over branch. its very possible that branch was brought back as injury insurance and only makes it if ocho regresses or still cant grasp the system in pre-season. patience has run out if he plateaus. bottom line since neither plays special teams and we have 3 guys ahead of them who do not play special teams either, one of them will have to go. could be branch esp with the $ factored in. bb considers $ despite the PR BS. its up to ocho to control his fate. if he's on, he makes the team. branch has plateaued in the system and with his talents.

i really dont see stallworth making this team if everyone's healthy. gonzo is an outlier even if healthy. still, since he doesnt play special teams and we have such versatile receivers, he's a luxury item as well. so yep, branch, gonzo and stallworth are most likely to be on the outs. but still, how does it benefit ocho to be the 5th receiving option on 4 receiver set team? plus he'll have both edelman and slater in the mix taking away some snaps from him during the season. i just think branch or gonzo are more set to play that mr. irrelevant role than ocho at this point. chad should be competing on a team with a leegit shot to be at least a 3rd or starting receiver. under no circumstances, will chad be starting or a dominant part of the rotation.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

BB has decided to go all out on the pass attack,he has about six former All-pro receivers on the present roster:Ocho,Stallworth,Branch,Gaffney,Lloyd and WW.Now if I'm the receivers on this list I'm coming in and competing for a starting job! Because just think of the level of competition!!! Quitters never win and winners never quit...Same holds true for the others who are involed in this battle. Edelman,Ebert,Davis and Gonzalez if i were them I would come in with the attitude that this is my job and I'm taking it to the limit...Which ever 6-7 players that make up the receiving corps when all is said and done will be the best at their respective positions.Also the others will have no problem finding work in the NFL regardless of when they are cut.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Do we know what Ocho will be like with a full summer and camp to work out? Maybe he can learn the system better this year with more time and experience. Last year was hard on alot of new players because of the short training camp and season. Maybe this is the year it comes together for him. Let's toss him into the mix and lets see what happens. At worst you cut him. at best he may turn out to be useful. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

First: 1/13/2011
    Last: 5/4/2012
     if i'm advising ocho objectively, the writing's on the wall. time to politely meet with bb and request your walking papers.

Wow glad your not my agent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: BB has made OCHO IRRELEVANT, should he ask for his release?

yup

Sections
Shortcuts