Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First I didnt post any links on here. Secondly, heroin, meth, etc. are illegal yet addicts have no problem getting them. Whitey Bulger, a lifetime felon, had 18 firearms in his apartment when apprehended in CA, a state tied with MA as having the strictest gun laws in the country . My quote about the Arab owned stores being the least robbed was actually on a National Geographic special about prison life. The remark was made by one of a group of hardcore felons, and the whole group nodded in acknowledement and a second convict replied that if they know they will face an armed owner, they will bypass the place for an easier target. Its like bank robbery - criminals go after an unarmed bank teller for a few hundred bucks as opposed to going after the armored car with its armed guards with many thousands of dollars, as they know they will not be facing a firearm. 

[/QUOTE]

Point taken on the link, my mistake.  It was another poster.

To the pont of your post:  So the source of your data on the armed Arab owned convenience stores is a bunch of convicted felons.  Got it.

[/QUOTE]

You know what ATJ? I can put up a liberal link that backs up your stance. Guess what? It doesnt make it anymore legit. You can twist any study to help to help support any stance. So I will tell you what, you keep your sling shot and I will keep my gun. It IS my right, wether you agree or not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

First, Jason Whitlock and Bob Costas blame the gun culture for the acts of murderer Jevon Belcher. But now, CNN one-ups them, by blaming the "culture of manliness". I kid you not!: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/03/CNN-culture-of-manliness-Belcher

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whiteys last murder he personally commited was with a machine gun - Im sure Whitey just bought it in VA and TX too. Im sure as a man on the FBIs 10 most wanted list, he had no trouble buying his 18 firearms at a gunshop. If they were aquired outside of CA, how could he bring them into CA anyway as it is illegal to own these firearms there. You mean GASP that Whitey as a felon would knowingly break a law???. PLEASE - these ridiculous firearms restrictions laws are nothing more than typical Liberal "FEEL GOOD" laws. They make no sense, we have no clue how to enforce them , but we put them on the books because it makes everybody feel good! Like the hypocrite Rosie O'Donell wants to take away YOUR firearms, but its perfectly fine for HER bodyguard to own one!

[/QUOTE]

Sir, you are missing the point.  It wasn't Whitey who purchased the guns in VA or TX.  He purchased them from someone who bought them for him.  Please, instead of simply reacting emotionally to this issue why not be open to a differing point of view? 

And this notion that anyone wants to ban or take away any law abiding private citizen's firearm is a fallacy that is a creation of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA and is a bunch of pluperfect poppycock (not my preferred choice of words but it'll do).

[/QUOTE]

There are many countrys that ban any fire arms except for hunting. why do you think that will not happen in this country?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to jerh5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

First I didnt post any links on here. Secondly, heroin, meth, etc. are illegal yet addicts have no problem getting them. Whitey Bulger, a lifetime felon, had 18 firearms in his apartment when apprehended in CA, a state tied with MA as having the strictest gun laws in the country . My quote about the Arab owned stores being the least robbed was actually on a National Geographic special about prison life. The remark was made by one of a group of hardcore felons, and the whole group nodded in acknowledement and a second convict replied that if they know they will face an armed owner, they will bypass the place for an easier target. Its like bank robbery - criminals go after an unarmed bank teller for a few hundred bucks as opposed to going after the armored car with its armed guards with many thousands of dollars, as they know they will not be facing a firearm. 

[/QUOTE]

To the pont of your post:  So the source of your data on the armed Arab owned convenience stores is a bunch of convicted felons.  Got it.

[/QUOTE]

You know what ATJ? I can put up a liberal link that backs up your stance. Guess what? It doesnt make it anymore legit. You can twist any study to help to help support any stance. So I will tell you what, you keep your sling shot and I will keep my gun. It IS my right, wether you agree or not.

[/QUOTE]

Egad, no wonder we can't ever have a rational discussion of this issue.  Show me any post in here (or anywhere for that matter) where I advocated taking your gun away.  Please, I'm asking you to do that.  And you know what, jerh5, you won't be able to.  You know why?  Because I never said it nor would I. 

Of course it's your right and is constituionally guaranteed.  But it's not unconditional.  The Supreme Court (a quite conservative one by the way) has confirmed that the right is not unconditional.  So take a breath and try reading what I've posted instead of reacting what you think I've posted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Whiteys last murder he personally commited was with a machine gun - Im sure Whitey just bought it in VA and TX too. Im sure as a man on the FBIs 10 most wanted list, he had no trouble buying his 18 firearms at a gunshop. If they were aquired outside of CA, how could he bring them into CA anyway as it is illegal to own these firearms there. You mean GASP that Whitey as a felon would knowingly break a law???. PLEASE - these ridiculous firearms restrictions laws are nothing more than typical Liberal "FEEL GOOD" laws. They make no sense, we have no clue how to enforce them , but we put them on the books because it makes everybody feel good! Like the hypocrite Rosie O'Donell wants to take away YOUR firearms, but its perfectly fine for HER bodyguard to own one!

[/QUOTE]

Sir, you are missing the point.  It wasn't Whitey who purchased the guns in VA or TX.  He purchased them from someone who bought them for him.  Please, instead of simply reacting emotionally to this issue why not be open to a differing point of view? 

And this notion that anyone wants to ban or take away any law abiding private citizen's firearm is a fallacy that is a creation of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA and is a bunch of pluperfect poppycock (not my preferred choice of words but it'll do).

[/QUOTE]

There are many countrys that ban any fire arms except for hunting. why do you think that will not happen in this country?

[/QUOTE]

For the love your .357 will you show me anywhere in here or elsewhere where I advocated a gun ban.  Holy NRA Batman.  Take a breath, guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For the love your .357 will you show me anywhere in here or elsewhere where I advocated a gun ban.  Holy NRA Batman.  Take a breath, guys.

[/QUOTE]

Well then, I apologize.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No problem.  I think I'd rather go back to talking football.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Just to upset the Liberal I ran 150 rounds through a .22 semiauto pistol today...Found out today that the left over halloween pumpkins make great targets....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And this notion that anyone wants to ban or take away any law abiding private citizen's firearm is a fallacy that is a creation of Wayne LaPierre and the NRA

Sort of like the libbies' faux "war on women", that they, apparently, bought into?

OK, I'll bite. Now, what was Costas bloviating over? The "culture" of guns? Who, with a TV remote, access to a 6 pack, and Domino's at the front door doesn't know these facts: 1) guns are legal in the USA  2) there are restirctions to purchase them, needing to pass a background check (this was pout in place to keep known "bad guys" from buying guns)  3) BAD PEOPLE use guns in violent crime. 

If Bobby Boy Wonder wanted to simply comment on the "culture" of violence, why didn't he mention all those nice, warm, fuzzy computer games, that are glorified and continually promoted on TV? Seems to me there is more voilence in those than in any 10 slasher movies. Sorry, but "fantasy" and "reality" shows no difference. Violence against people is violence, no matter how you slice or dice it (sorry, but NO reference to slasher films). The only difference between these games and real life is that real life doesn't come with a reset button.

Belcher acquired his handgun LEGALLY. He passed the required background check. We also have the obligatory "he was a good kid; nice to me and was quiet" interview responses. The "system" did not fail. It's obvious that he had some internal physological issues that surfaced after the fact. Either that or I can't wait to see the billion dollar suit filed against the Chiefs and the NFL for their "knowledge of and failure to properly treat/counsel" him. 

If this is a "fallacy" , why then are there @ 20,000 gun laws on the books across the country right now. Why make it 20,001? The onky way it makes any sense is if this last law is a FEDERAL law mandating stiff jail time (100% MUST be served), to go on top of the committed crime itself. Let the mental midgets commit a house break in, usually 2-5 yrs, but be caught with a gun. That'll indescretion will cost him 10 more years. It'll make him think twice about that TV, DVD, and stereo quipment, I'll guarandamntee it.  

Let's revisit this mythical War on Women. What war? Last I knew,m contraceptives were covered on 99.9999% of insurance plans. There is a co-pay involved, the amount varies from carrier to carrier. Thgere is no legislation pending anywhere that would restict or cut off govt funding for contraceptives.  Ah! but here's the rub.... apparently women like Fluke, going to school to make $25,000/year (the new "rich") need to have FREE contraceptives. After all, can't spend $3000 out of pocket for 4 years for it. Need to have to pay for those adult beverages, Happy Hours, frat parties, and Spring break vacations. Having been there, this stuff costs a whole lot more than this $3000 over 4 years. Anyone thinking she or her fellow students live pious lifestyles is absolutely crazy.  

Abortion? Go for it! Between that and gay marriage, in a few generations libbies will probably just about erradicate themselves out of existance. My rub is that I don't want MY tax dollars being spent on a glorified form of birth control. That horse left the barn when the irresponsible Horizontal Rumba was done. Sorry, if the guy doesn't bring his party hat to the event, the hostess NEEDS to be taking contraceptives. God knows that abstinence is NOT the answer, even though it's 1000% guaranteed. Why force something like "responsibility" on someone with no respect for themselves? Rape and incest are exceptions to this. Do whatever you need to do for the victim, as they never asked for the event to happen.

[/QUOTE]

I'd just as soon stick to the firearms issue if it's all the same to you.  And I guess you simply won't accept the fact that a genuine conservative (which I am by the way) can be in favor of sensible firearms control legislation that will address issues such as what I have posted (ad nauseum in this thread) states with lax gun laws being the principal source (which they are) of firearms in the hands of criminals.  

[/QUOTE]

Obviously we can't ban the criminal. Where would we start, using Belcher as an example? And, why are there 20,000+ gun laws already on the books in this country? What would your "law" be, seeing that you don't advocate banning guns, or takling away our rights to buy/own one? I'll assure you that anything you may come up with, not including my hit 'em with a stiff FEDERAL sentence on top of their sentence (100% MUST be served) will make inroads, and isn't included in this yarn ball of 20,000 laws already in place. Bottom line is that if a criminal wants to commit a crime using a gun, he will. Nothing's going to stop him except for a bullet from someone else trying to stop him. If a human miscreant like the debris that shot up the theater in Colorado, or the mental midgets at Columbine, wants to do what they did while having no prior ILLEGAL activity to FORCE law enforcement to stop them and take him out of circulation, guess what? They, too, will do it. Good luck coming up with some kind of mental evaluation means test that doesn't violate my rights so you can divine who should or can buy a gun.

Sorry, but using that fave libbie word: FAIRNESS, no one can possibly trample 98% of American's legal rights for the 2% criminal element. (Hey! Why not tax the living bejeesus out of them, like the Dems want to do to the "rich" 2%? That's "fair" too!) Folks will argue all day that there is no direct link between video game violence and real world violence.  especially in the aftermath of the Colorado theater shooting. The Gomer dressed like in the movie? Then we can ban all violence in movies, and get those folks riled up, especially in the aftermath of the Colorado theater shooting. That Gomer dressed like people in the movie? Sheer coincidence!

Next, we'll go after that neat item called domestic violence. Problem is, even if we "Feel", "believe", or "know" that X will do something, we can't detain them until they actually do or break another law. I know! When filing for legal separation or to get an order of protective custody, all gun owners, both sides MUST surrender their weapons. Will that work out for you?

But, we first need to define your law: going against guns or weapons? A .38 Special is one thing, but have you any idea of the damage a "spork" can cause in the hands of a severely agitated ADD kid?  My God! We're talking hit mac & cheese everywhere, low level burns that will cause millions in medical and psychological damages. Where does it end?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First, Jason Whitlock and Bob Costas blame the gun culture for the acts of murderer Jevon Belcher. But now, CNN one-ups them, by blaming the "culture of manliness". I kid you not!: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/03/CNN-culture-of-manliness-Belcher

[/QUOTE]

Cripes! Now Costas is REALLY out of his element!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sir, you are missing the point.  It wasn't Whitey who purchased the guns in VA or TX.  He purchased them from someone who bought them for him.

Taken from the comedic musings of a SNL writer, I'm sure. And ATJ claims we can't rationalize this discussion. Why, I'm positively sure that the buyer for Whitey checked off the "NO" boxes for these questions:

Are you purchasing this/these weapons for a/any FBI felon currently on the Top Ten Most Wanted list?

Do you pinkie swear?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]

Just to upset the Liberal I ran 150 rounds through a .22 semiauto pistol today...Found out today that the left over halloween pumpkins make great targets....

[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah they do! We were at the range recently and my buddy put a hurtin on that dastardly squash with a generous helping of .410 PDX1 Defender loads running through his Taurus Judge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Egad, no wonder we can't ever have a rational discussion of this issue.  Show me any post in here (or anywhere for that matter) where I advocated taking your gun away.  Please, I'm asking you to do that.  And you know what, jerh5, you won't be able to.  You know why?  Because I never said it nor would I. 

Of course it's your right and is constituionally guaranteed.  But it's not unconditional.  The Supreme Court (a quite conservative one by the way) has confirmed that the right is not unconditional.  So take a breath and try reading what I've posted instead of reacting what you think I've posted.

[/QUOTE]

The Supreme Court (a quite conservative one by the way) has confirmed that the right is not unconditional.

Like the right for free speech, right? Are there 20,000+ laws on books to muzzle free speech? As I said before, this is an issue that just eats away and burns in the soul (??) of all libbies, as it's something they can't ever control. The real funny part is that a good portion of gun violence and crime is committed within the minority communities. Chicago and Washingtoin DC, BTW cities with some of the toughest anti-gun laws in place are turning into Tombstone and the OK Coral. No uproar there, other than the "establishment" should be doing more to prevent this violence. Think maybe that community should do a better job identifying and getting these violent folks off teh street? unlicensed possession IS a crime. Go after them for that plus tack on a FEDERAL 10 years (all time MUST be served). Let that brave 16 year old stew over that for4 12 years.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll just add that I think it's rather callous to say "it's a small price to pay for our liberty" or "it's nothing to wring hands about."  If it was your daughter who was murdered in front of you or mowed down in a movie theatre, I suspect you'd feel a bit differently. If the US could get its firearms death rate more in line with the firearm death rates of similarly advanced nations, there'd be about 15,000 or 20,000 fewer parents every year in the situation Ms. Perkins is in.  Is that trivial? I think not. 

[/QUOTE]

If you can come down of your high horse for a minute you might realize that it just apparently isn't sinking in to you that the situation in the USA is simply not the same as it is in Austria for example. Considering the profound difference between the structure of the legal system in the US and those countries you champion the difference is in fact trivial. The ability of the federal government to shove gun control down a states throat is questionable legally and not well supported in principle.

If Alaskans through their representatives want lax gun laws then I as a Bay Stater am going to honor that because I believe in states rights and do not possess the liberal agenda to homogenize the nation and expand federal oppression.

You can moan all you like about the freedom the several states are allowed to have in determining how the people there want to do things, but it won't change the fact that 1.7 more homicides per 100k is a trivial number when weighed against the right to self determination. Are Arizonans stupid to not have stricter gun laws? Maybe so. But I sure as hell defend their right to determine that rather than have it dictated to them by a guy from Toronto.

[/QUOTE]

I know those 1.7 homicides are trivial to you, but I have a 19 year-old nephew who's doing 20 years right now.  The kid he shot two years ago is dead.  Honestly my nephew isn't really a bad kid.  Just too much testosterone and a too easily available high-capacity firearm. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

In response to patsfaninpa420's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah they do! We were at the range recently and my buddy put a hurtin on that dastardly squash with a generous helping of .410 PDX1 Defender loads running through his Taurus Judge.

[/QUOTE]
    Kinda cool watching the orange splat of pumpkin guts after every shot...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

What really saddens/frustrates me about the whole 2nd amendment issue here is actually over events that happen in China. You see, guns are banned in China and if you pay attention to the news they have been dealing with mass stabbings on a fairly regular basis. In effort to deal with this the Chinese government has decided to address this issue, not by banning all things that are pointy, but by identifying and addressing the causes of the incidents in the first place.

The mothereffing Chinese have more logic and sense when confronting these situations than we do, what the hell does that say about the direction our society is taking? Meanwhile over here it's always the gun's fault and you have guys like Jason Whitlock spewing this utter garbage- "You know, I did not go as far as I'd like to go because my thoughts on the NRA and America's gun culture ” I believe the NRA is the new KKK. And that the arming of so many black youths, uh, and loading up our community with drugs, and then just having an open shooting gallery, is the work of people who obviously don'™t have our best interests [at heart]."  Of course it's the NRA's fault the black youths are turning their neighborhoods into shooting galleries. It certainly has nothing to do with the culture that their segment of society glorifies and perpetuates.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Military men are taught not to engage without intelligence about the enemy's weapons and whereabouts. Civilians think their gun makes such intelligence meaningless.

[/QUOTE]

So the military wouldn't engage in the case of an ambush where they obviously do not know anything about an enemy's disposition, since it's, you know, an ambush!!!

That's basically what a homeowner would be facing from an intruder. An ambush.

[/QUOTE]

An ambush??? LOL, not many burglars break into your house and start spraying machine gun fire at the bedrooms! They're usually just looking to steal shi!t without waking up you and the whole dang neighborhood.

But the decision tree in a combat ambush is dependent upon the situation at hand. If the aggressor is indeed firing at you, you have no choice but to fire back. Now, if your communications and escape routes are cut off, and the enemy has the clear upper hand in terms of terrain, manpower and firepower, and (with a conventional enemy, not a terrorist network) has demonstrated the discipline to hold fire and take prisoners...the decision to lay down arms may be the best choice. Nothing heroic about getting a unit killed in a demonstrably unwinnable fight.

Of course, trying to compare the decision matrix of a professional military officer with hundreds of hours of training and experience in such situations, versus an overweight suburban slob in an Ambien/two-scotch/three-ayem fog, trying to figure out which end of the gun to stick the bullets in...is not exactly apples to apples.

[/QUOTE]

Got it, the burglar population of the world consists of a bunch of highly trained military professionals who have the presence of mind to use their military training against civilians.  And all of the civilians are people with no military background so burglaries will result in a slaughter by the burglar. 

[/QUOTE]

Come on, Shenanigan, you're smarter than that, and I did not imply anything of the sort.

The salient points I have sought to make are:

1) The average homeowner is not prepared to deal with a hostile intruder in their home.

2) Owning a gun gives the average homeowner a greater sense of security; still, the homeowner knows zero about the intruder.

3) The intruder has the complete upper hand from the get-go. He may have acquired info on the homeowner.  He may have more firepower. He may have a couple of armed partners breaking in with him. Even if the intruder is a complete putz, he still gets to choose the time to strike, a major advantage, especially if the average homeowner had been sound asleep.

4) Shooting a human being for the first time is (mentally) hard, even for many trained soldiers.

5) Shooting a human being can be physically hard to do, especially if you've never done it before. Targets at the range stand still, and don't shoot back at you. People move, and do shoot back at you.

6) Even if you are a competent, trained weapons owner, the risk of harm that can happen to other members of your family (when you are away) by keeping a gun in your home is statistically far, far greater than the risk of your suffering significant injury or death from a home intrusion.

7) In spite of points 1-6, I'm still in favor of a citizen's right to own a gun. But I also believe that average homeowners should think twice before doing so, especially if they have children in the home.

8) I realize others will disagree with me. It's a free country.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'll just add that I think it's rather callous to say "it's a small price to pay for our liberty" or "it's nothing to wring hands about."  If it was your daughter who was murdered in front of you or mowed down in a movie theatre, I suspect you'd feel a bit differently. If the US could get its firearms death rate more in line with the firearm death rates of similarly advanced nations, there'd be about 15,000 or 20,000 fewer parents every year in the situation Ms. Perkins is in.  Is that trivial? I think not. 

[/QUOTE]

If you can come down of your high horse for a minute you might realize that it just apparently isn't sinking in to you that the situation in the USA is simply not the same as it is in Austria for example. Considering the profound difference between the structure of the legal system in the US and those countries you champion the difference is in fact trivial. The ability of the federal government to shove gun control down a states throat is questionable legally and not well supported in principle.

If Alaskans through their representatives want lax gun laws then I as a Bay Stater am going to honor that because I believe in states rights and do not possess the liberal agenda to homogenize the nation and expand federal oppression.

You can moan all you like about the freedom the several states are allowed to have in determining how the people there want to do things, but it won't change the fact that 1.7 more homicides per 100k is a trivial number when weighed against the right to self determination. Are Arizonans stupid to not have stricter gun laws? Maybe so. But I sure as hell defend their right to determine that rather than have it dictated to them by a guy from Toronto.

[/QUOTE]

I know those 1.7 homicides are trivial to you, but I have a 19 year-old nephew who's doing 20 years right now.  The kid he shot two years ago is dead.  Honestly my nephew isn't really a bad kid.  Just too much testosterone and a too easily available high-capacity firearm. 

[/QUOTE]

Right. Convicted murderers aren't "bad kids". It's the evil gun that did it.

I'm saying the 1.7 are trivial in relation to the larger issue of allowing states to determine their own laws.

I'm also saying you repeatedly compare apples and oranges.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right. Convicted murderers aren't "bad kids". It's the evil gun that did it.

I'm saying the 1.7 are trivial in relation to the larger issue of allowing states to determine their own laws.

I'm also saying you repeatedly compare apples and oranges.

[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying there are real people behind those statistics. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Supreme Court (a quite conservative one by the way) has confirmed that the right is not unconditional.

Like the right for free speech, right? Are there 20,000+ laws on books to muzzle free speech? As I said before, this is an issue that just eats away and burns in the soul (??) of all libbies, as it's something they can't ever control. The real funny part is that a good portion of gun violence and crime is committed within the minority communities. Chicago and Washingtoin DC, BTW cities with some of the toughest anti-gun laws in place are turning into Tombstone and the OK Coral. No uproar there, other than the "establishment" should be doing more to prevent this violence. Think maybe that community should do a better job identifying and getting these violent folks off teh street? unlicensed possession IS a crime. Go after them for that plus tack on a FEDERAL 10 years (all time MUST be served). Let that brave 16 year old stew over that for4 12 years.   

[/QUOTE]

I'll try to be brief here.  I agree with you - it needs to be a federal statute and it needs to address criminal behavior.  Now, why are those 20,000 + laws (take your word for it on the number) largely ineffective at dealing with criminal possession of firearms?  Because (repeating myself here) there are states with very lax laws that permit, in essence, drive-thru gun purchases.  In my view (and I know there are those who disagree) it makes sense to address this issue with the same or companion federal statute.

And for crying out loud, guys. Stop trying to make this a liberal/conservative issue.  It's neither - it's a societal problem that will take an open-minded comprehensive approach to address.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can't imagine why that would upset anyone but the pumpkins.  If blowing away rotting vegitation is your thing, have at it.  But then again, as I've said, I'm nobody's liberal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm in no hurry to give up any of my rights.  Look at the dark ages, a period 700 years long where society became less advanced than they were in the Roman times before them.  It was an oppressive time for most.  But at that time the average person could not compete physically with the armor and training of Knights and soldiers, so the average person had no power to create a better life.  When the gun was invented, even an amateur could fight with someone trained.  The power swung, and people could no longer be oppressed by the people with the money and training.  This is where we have a renaissance, see revolutions, democracy, the idea of human rights, and governments that work for the people not the other way around.  Modern society is far less oppressive and brutal than what has come before, largely because of those guns.

Guns are here, you can't un-invent them.  We can give them to the people on the right, or the people on the left, or any group you want- but they aren't going away.  Personally, I like the idea of everyone having them more than some groups having them because whoever has them will always hold the power- and if it not you that has them...than it's the other guy who has the power over you.  And that's just the truth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Memo to fellow fans: Give it a rest. No one will change their mind about what they believe. Everyone believes they have it figured out. Reason will not prevail on either side; it's a symptom of why we are such a divided society. Let's get back to the one thing we all can agree on - we are fans of an a**thumpingly good football team!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Memo to fellow fans: Give it a rest. No one will change their mind about what they believe. Everyone believes they have it figured out. Reason will not prevail on either side; it's a symptom of why we are such a divided society. Let's get back to the one thing we all can agree on - we are fans of an a**thumpingly good football team!!!

[/QUOTE]

Ah, a voice of reason.  Thanks; I'm done on this thread.

Sections
Shortcuts