Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good for Costas.  I'm a gun owner and avid hunter myself, but the US needs more sensible gun control.  It's just too easy for anyone to get a handgun. There's way more gun crime in the US than any other civilized first-world nation. The reason is because guns are too easy to get. 

[/QUOTE]

How dare you say that. How are the military wannabees going to dream about saving the country from the commies if they can't stroke their guns? Oh wait the commies are gone. Maybe the Canadians will invade.

[/QUOTE]

No, no, no - it's not the threat of foreign invasion; it's to protect us all from the federal government.  Of course, no one has ever explained to me how all those privately held firearms are going to stack up against, oh, say the 82nd Airborne or a Marine Expeditionary Unit.

[/QUOTE]

You're trying to reason with Conservatives, you're wasting your time.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Costas uses the Jevon Belcher tregedy to preach gun control at halftime........

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh by the way, I've heard every story about why people should own guns.  Other than hunting, they're all pretty weak.

[/QUOTE]

How about to form a militia.  The founding fathers didn't give a rip about hunting or self defense.  The 2nd amendment exists because of the history of nearly every government in the world becoming corrupt and oppressing the people. 

When the British didn't like us not paying taxes and decided to march on down with their guns we didn't fight them off with sticks. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good for Costas.  I'm a gun owner and avid hunter myself, but the US needs more sensible gun control.  It's just too easy for anyone to get a handgun. There's way more gun crime in the US than any other civilized first-world nation. The reason is because guns are too easy to get. 

[/QUOTE]

How dare you say that. How are the military wannabees going to dream about saving the country from the commies if they can't stroke their guns? Oh wait the commies are gone. Maybe the Canadians will invade.

[/QUOTE]

No, no, no - it's not the threat of foreign invasion; it's to protect us all from the federal government.  Of course, no one has ever explained to me how all those privately held firearms are going to stack up against, oh, say the 82nd Airborne or a Marine Expeditionary Unit.

[/QUOTE]

You're trying to reason with Conservatives, you're wasting your time.  

[/QUOTE]

If that were true then shouldn't .50 caliber machine guns and RPGs be legal? Or how about the neighborhood pitch in for their own tank? Need a parking spot? Just park on top of the cars where ever you want?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Oh by the way, I've heard every story about why people should own guns.  Other than hunting, they're all pretty weak.

[/QUOTE]

How about to form a militia.  The founding fathers didn't give a rip about hunting or self defense.  The 2nd amendment exists because of the history of nearly every government in the world becoming corrupt and oppressing the people. 

When the British didn't like us not paying taxes and decided to march on down with their guns we didn't fight them off with sticks. 

[/QUOTE]

'well regulated' militia. It's called The National Guard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Precisely.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

According to you, but the 2nd ammendment existed before the National Guard.  It's safe to assume that if the founding fathers saw the National Guard as their idea of a well organized militia that was so critical to this country they put it in the constitution than they would have just gone ahead and created the National Guard.  They didn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AZPAT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cultural problems: Abortion, legalization of marijuana, violence in movies and on TV, provacative dressing of young ladies (especially HS kids), more "takers" than "givers" (and society being OK with it), acceptance/multiple "another chance" for DUI (Hey! EVERYONE does it!)

Which ones do you want to get rid of? Or, is "culture", or what should be acceptable in society, dependent on what you determine it to be?

Noe, be careful! Some of these have been legislated, sort of like the 2nd amendment. Ought to be interesting.

[/QUOTE]

When are you guys going to secede?!! God, take Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and all those other clown states with you! Funny, the most advocate pro-gun Americans are usually Right-Wingers, but you list Liberal beliefs as the cause of gun violence.

Abortions is no one's business, if you don't think it's right, don't do it! No one is force you to have an abortion! It's a choice between a woman and her doctor, not you and your bible and Authoritarian style of government!

Marijuana is no more lethal to your brain than Alcohol, why don't we criminalize Alcohol again while we're at it, huh? How many times have you heard that a guy was so high from Marijuana that he started a fight in a bar...or drove high and killed someone? Why is it illegal? 

Violence in movies and TV? Yeah, like Football? Should football be illegal?

Provacative style of dress by young ladies? Dude, we're you born in the 50s or something? It's no one's business what a woman wants to wear! Funny how you're fighting for your second ammendment rights, but you're all for taking away someone's first ammenment rights.

More takers than givers? The 47% of Americans who don't pay taxes consists of the elderly, veterans and people who manage to take advantage of tax breaks like child tax deductions. Funny how when coperations take advantage of loopholes they're wise. When average joes do it they're takers. The very few who don't pay taxes because they're poor live mostly in the South, Red States pay less in taxes than Blue states! The North East and West Coast keep America a float! The rest of you, red states, are the takers around here!

It's too easy to get a gun, there are too many guns in the United States! Guns don't kill people, people kill people, right? But they kill more people with guns!

[/QUOTE]

Oh, where to start......

God, take Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and all those other clown states with you!

We'll address this on a tad bit later.

Abortions is no one's business, if you don't think it's right, don't do it!

Can never accuse you of paying attention to the recent news and election, can we? Hear about the mythical War On Women? How about restricting/cutting off funds for Planned Parenthood? They're not bellyaching about condoms or The Pill. I agree with yiur ascertion, though: don't like it, don't get one. But, my problem is when it's now a federal entitlement program, and is used as birth control. Totally eliminates personal responsibility after the fact. Supportes whine about how much $ the tax payer will "save" when terminating an "unwanted pregnancy" (kind of impersonal, don't you think?) I'd be perfectly happy if the fed govt (ie: MY tax dollars) would be forbidden from going that route. Need I remind you that a condom costs significantly less than $1? Now, YOU tell me which is more cost efficient. I'll wait.

Marijuana is no more lethal to your brain than Alcohol

It impairs judgement and reflexes. Yes, there are instances where driving high has killed people... innocent people. I believe it's called DUI, with nteh "I" standing for "influence". Check it out. Banning alcohol? Again, Sparky, reqd some history on Prohibition. Do you really suggest that America would welcome a retun to all that violence? If banned, I'll get worried when an army of stoners organize to march, er, stumble, on Washington DC. I've got 4100 that says most would never ID their right from left feet.

Violence in movies and TV? Yeah, like Football? Should football be illegal?

Typical libbie response. It's either "it's not as bad as...", or, in some weird way of thinking, "that's viiolent too!". Here's a solid clue: NO ONE'S DYING IN FOOTBALL GAMES. Is that simple enough? Watch the ads for these "games". I don't see anything but violence in the trailers. In fact, it's glorified, as being THE reason to buy them. Sorry, no "Reset" button in life.  

Provacative style of dress by young ladies? Dude, we're you born in the 50s or something?

Why, yes I was born in the 50's. If you think that dress has absolutely NOTHING to do with rape or sexual assault, you're loonier than that nut running Iran. I guess you believe it's a good thing to send your 15 year old daughter out the door for school, or the movies, or the mall looking 25. Go by a high school on a nice warm day either before or after school, and it'll look amazingly like a Adult Video Movie convention. Dressing this way DOES draw attention to themselves. Some good, some not so good. But, I'd guess that you'd feel that if the gal was totally fabric free in a park, that was OK, as she has a first amendment right to do that. Sorry, but check up on local laws regarding this behavior. BTW, I never said I'd ban prevocative dressing. My reference goes to "culture".

The 47% of Americans who don't pay taxes consists of the elderly, veterans and people who manage to take advantage of tax breaks like child tax deductions.

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! You forgot to add govt pensioners, and SSI recipients. There's also welfare, extended unemployment, and food stamps. Then, there's Medicare and Medicaid. But, the 47% that Romney and you reference are those folks that would never ever vote for him or any Republican. As you state, check out the blue states. Funny how they are all operating under huge deficits, eh? Yet this is a good thing, right? California has/had the 7th biggest economy in teh WORLD, yet it's $65B in debt, with no way out. Tax payers are leaving the place. There isn't enough tax money to pay the entitlements, especially for those illegal, er, "undocumented" aliens.  As I said before, I can't wait to see what happens when the money runs out. Greece, Spain, Portugal, here we come.

The very few who don't pay taxes because they're poor live mostly in the South

Interesting.... I guess you never heard or were exposed to places like Roxbury, Roslindale, or Mattapan, eh? How do you explain "inner city problems", or is that a myth too? Bad schools? Underperforming students? Most kids from single parent "families"? Yessir! Only in those vile red states! LMFAO!!!!

The North East and West Coast keep America a float! The rest of you, red states, are the takers around here!

Now, I have to weriously doubt if you know what you're talking about or if you took Mommy's or Daddy's keyboard without permission. Sparky, the "red states" aren't driving this $16 TRILLION deficit. (That's a number with 12  zeros to the left of the decimal point.) I never knew that Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida are the main culprit os this! here I'm thinkingb that the majority of states with Republican administrations have things like lower unemployment, higher tax revenue, and better fiscal control of budgets, despite not getting the same money from teh Fed Govt! Better fiscal control means spending wisely, not handing our gobs or it, with no strings attached.  If you think that $16 TRILLION in debt is a GOOD thing, then I suggest you go to a bookstore and buy Deficits For Dummies right now.

Funny how when coperations take advantage of loopholes they're wise.

Proof you haven't got a clue.... Now, please tell us how these loopholes came into being? Again, be careful..... Libbies have controlled the Congress for a whole lot longer than evil Republicans have. Either they created these loopholes, or have done nothing to close them or get rid of them. They are there for whatever reason(s) they were created, mostly as part of the give and take called "government action". Which side of the fence do you fall on? Why, it's impossible for any self respecting libbie to want to keep more of what they "make", right? (Self respecting libbie.... sort of like jumbo shrimp?). If the law allows for using loopholes, why not? It's good business practice. BTW, this "tax the rich" garbage is funnier than all get out. Do you honestly, truly, and actually believe that these millionaires and billionaires aren't planning, or have ale\ready done so, to protect more of their income? If not, again, you fooling yourself. Hear what the COSTCO board of directors just did for themselves? The chairman, ou remember him, advocated raising taxes on the rich at the DNC in August. Gotta make them pay their fair share, right? Well, funny how the board voted themselves a nice stock dividend to be paid before the end of the year, so they can pay LESS taxes on it. 12% vs 8%. Who's the dummy? Or, more appropriately, who's the hypocrite? You see, libbies really don't want to pay in more than they should either. After all, it's all about the money, right?   

Now, to address the first point you raised. Yes, it's plain to see that you expose a typical libble mentality: if you don't agree, leave. Funny how Libbies like to declare themselves as being "tolerant". Sorry, Sparky, it doesn't work that way. I have a right to bear arms. It's that simple. Deal with it. Gun violence can be dealt with more effectively if there were stronger deterents in place, NOT excuses for the bad behavior that caused the violence (sorry, but I taking a page out of the libbie book of socially excused violence).

Character wise, libbies hate it when there's somwething they can't control. And better yet, what's going to happen when the money runs out and the music stops, when no one is left to suppoert the takers. Rome dies this way, too, by internal decay.  Not a comforting thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

According to you, but the 2nd ammendment existed before the National Guard.  It's safe to assume that if the founding fathers saw the National Guard as their idea of a well organized militia that was so critical to this country they put it in the constitution than they would have just gone ahead and created the National Guard.  They didn't.

[/QUOTE]

The founding fathers didn't (and couldn't possibly) foresee all of the technological, sociological and structural advances that have taken place in this world.  The U.S. Constitution, exquisite document that it is, is not perfect.  Hence the 'partial credit' toward population apportioned to states with large numbers of slaves.  Moreover, there was no organized law enforcement in the country at that time.  How else were people supposed to be protected except through their own efforts?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Well regulated militia" is given as a reason for the right. The right is for the "people too keep and bear arms".

Keep doesn't mean you have a gun down at the National Guard Armory. It means you keep it.

Is a 67 yo woman a people? Can she be in the National Guard?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The Second Amendment is about states fearing Federal takeover of their rights. And it is clear that they felt assuring the individual had the right to keep weapons was the best protection against Federal takeover.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and a wealthy NFL player probably couldn't get a gun even with stricter gun laws lol.  A football game isn't the place for Costas to pontificate.  It's not our laws that need changing, it's our culture.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Second Amendment is about states fearing Federal takeover of their rights. And it is clear that they felt assuring the individual had the right to keep weapons was the best protection against Federal takeover.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they did.  How would that workout now, do you think?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they did.  How would that workout now, do you think?  

[/QUOTE]

I think it can be argued that the right of the people to keep and bear arms is still a viable impediment to governmental oppression in any nation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

My point is that I'm not too worried about the criminals.  I'm more worried about the idiot here in Texas that has a license to carry and shouldn't even be allowed to operate a motorized vehicle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank You!  We all wanna live with out guns, but once over half of population have them, u bet your arrse, I need one too. Its too late to stop now. Everytime a mass murder happens, thousands more go get strapped.  I went to get certified last year because I know when people cant feed their families, they wont starve, they will invade your home and thats my reason. Also if corrupt gvmnt comes to take me to a concentration camp??  Idk, but I aint taking chances. I will go out in blaze. problem is most people get guns for their fellow citizens and not for the impeding revolution. Even most police want people to have guns. A cop told me this because it makes their jobs easier.

Problem is most folks dont even know or cant fathom the gvmt being against them and those sheep are still sleep and thats why people still entertain voting instead of getting thse british bankers out our Money supply. We never defeated the british, they just let us have a country that and they take our money.

Why u think JFK was killed??? he was against those secret societies and they offed him. Thats why its a joke if you think Obama controls anything. He is a puppet. The fact that he hasnt even been spit on let alone had an attempt on his life, means he is following the agenda.

"Give me control of a countrys money and i care not what rules it makes"  ROckefeller!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I don't need a gun. I train 6 days a week. Fk that man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Err...you think that protecting yourself, your home, and your family from burglars is a weak argument? LOL!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank You!  We all wanna live with out guns, but once over half of population have them, u bet your arrse, I need one too. Its too late to stop now. Everytime a mass murder happens, thousands more go get strapped.  I went to get certified last year because I know when people cant feed their families, they wont starve, they will invade your home and thats my reason. Also if corrupt gvmnt comes to take me to a concentration camp??  Idk, but I aint taking chances. I will go out in blaze. problem is most people get guns for their fellow citizens and not for the impeding revolution. Even most police want people to have guns. A cop told me this because it makes their jobs easier.

Problem is most folks dont even know or cant fathom the gvmt being against them and those sheep are still sleep and thats why people still entertain voting instead of getting thse british bankers out our Money supply. We never defeated the british, they just let us have a country that and they take our money.

Why u think JFK was killed??? he was against those secret societies and they offed him. Thats why its a joke if you think Obama controls anything. He is a puppet. The fact that he hasnt even been spit on let alone had an attempt on his life, means he is following the agenda.

"Give me control of a countrys money and i care not what rules it makes"  ROckefeller!

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Trust me, dude, if the US government ever decides to come after you, whatever arsenal you've got is going to be like throwing toothpicks against a hurricane.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

One thing I've noticed about Liberals and their views of gun ownership is that all the reasons people have for owning firemarms seem weak until they themselves are in a situation that dictates people's reasons for owning firearms.  Also they always make the very wrong assumption that if things went south in this country and the government found itself fighting against it's citizens that the military would automatically be on the side of the government. Oh and a whole lot of us that own military style rifles were in the military so there is no wanna-be anything.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I'll be simple:  All the gun control in the world will not do anything.  The criminally minded will always find a way around the laws.  It is not the law abiding citizens which are the problem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Trust me, dude, if the US government ever decides to come after you, whatever arsenal you've got is going to be like throwing toothpicks against a hurricane.

[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree.  I'd also like to take exception to the notion repeatedly expressed in this thread that if one is in favor of common sense firearms control legislation one must be a 'liberal' (whatever that means).  As I understand that term as used in this thread a 'liberal' has some fuzzy headed idealistic view of the world wherein if we all sat around the campfire holding hands, singing Kumbaya and passing around a doob all would be right with the world and no one would ever wish to harm anyone else.  If not, then that's certainly the impression I'm getting.  And, trust me, I'm nobody's liberal, particularly by that definition.  

Common sense firearms control legislation, by my definition, might, just might mind you, address the issue of anyone being able to load up a box truck with legally purchased firearms in Virginia and selling them in New York, for example.  

Oh, and I happen to be retired military, run my own contract security firm and have an ongoing partnership with four police departments.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There definitely are cultural issues.  Bob Costa's statement would be a non-event in most countries, because in most advanced Western nations the culture supports placing limits on weapons designed primarily to make it easy to kill people.  It's seen as common sense. In America, however, a statement such as Costa's causes a firestorm precisely because America has a culture in which owning weapons designed primarily to kill people is considered a god-given right for the simple reason that many Americans either believe they may need to kill someone someday (personal defense) or just enjoy the feeling of power that comes from "packing heat."  That is a cultural problem . . . in evidence all over American this morning. 

It is not surprising at all that such a culture results in a society with far more gun violence than in just about any other highly industrialized society. I agree it is not the lack of gun control laws that is the real problem. The real problem is a culture that makes the enactment of gun control laws almost impossible.

[/QUOTE]

ROFLMFAO!!!!

God Given Right? Dude! Gget over yourself. This RIGHT is granted in the US Constitution. may I suggest you actually read it? Particularly the one at #2? Do you know the reason why it's #2, afet the all important 1st one? Do some research there, too, Sparky. You'll be amazed. Take a look at what's happening in Europe, that great bastion of liberal thinking, as all the hand out money is evaporating. Think that that could happen here once all the hand out/goody money dries up? 

While we're taking guns away from everyone, seeing \that's where you want to head, let's ban movies that are no rated G (note: GP, R, etc all have to go, as they would contain either violence, nudity, or those nasty "adult situations"; Gitgta keep Little Johnny's and Sally's minds pure and wholesome, ya know). Then we'll closely sensor commercial TV, Too much violence on those hiur long CSI and other crime related offerings. Gives the public in general too many ideas. next, we'l outlaw and ban all TV commercials that would give a glimmer of support to abhirant behavior, as YOU would determine it to be. We start with those erectile dysfunction spots. Just imagine what a better place the world would be if there was less "personal enjoyment" in it. Who says you have to ready for ANY moment? I've been maried over 35 years, and, well, 'nuff said. It could get ugly..... Then, we'll toss in all commercials for beers and other beverages with any kind of alcoholic content. No booze, no blame, right? (Does the NFL have any share of the pending "blame" for what happened in KC, seeing how thay have "Suds-o, the OFFICIAL beer of the NFL" commercials? Hmmmm.....) Then, we'll need to put an end to those pesky commercials for new prescriptions. Why? Have you heard or really paid attention to those nasty side effects disclaimers, or the print too small for the Hubble Telescope to even read? No one's saying that a user WOULD get any/all of them. But, all it takes is one person to suffer, adn then we get all those pitiful lawyer commercials, railing about the hazards of living, adn how we all may be "ENTITLED" to compensation. (Another word I just love.)

Now, go out there and start lobbying for the 2nd amendment to be stricken down.  

I just LOVE educating the unknowing!

[/QUOTE]

The cultural problem I was talking about illustrated. 

[/QUOTE]

Must you insist on keeping me rolling on the floor laughing? PLEASE stop! Culture has nothing to do wioth the right to bear arms. If you want to own a gun, you're free to do so. If not, like me, you don't have to. Deal with it. It's a guaranteed right under the US Constitution, so stop whining about "culture" and do some reading up on the amendment. 

[/QUOTE]

I know the amendment (and its historical antecedents) better than you do, I'm sure.  But it is culture that determines people's attitudes toward the amendment and that makes it so difficult in our current political landscape to interpret it less rigidly or change it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Err...you think that protecting yourself, your home, and your family from burglars is a weak argument? LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

Considering that far, far, far more people are hurt by gun accidents in the home vis a vis burglars shot by homeowners; yes, it is an extremely weak argument.

Making it even weaker is that the average gun owner in a home, unless s/he has served in the military, has never shot a human being before. Those who have served know it is a VERY different experience than shooting at a range; the target is moving while your blood and adrenaline are pumping out of control.

Further, if you're home is invaded by a burglar, that burglar is doing it on his time, not yours, while his senses are heightened whereas yours are dull. The intruder has the clear advantage of surprise; even moreso if he had the competence to reconnoiter your house beforehand. You stagger down the stairs in your bright, white T-shirt, while the burglar is dressed head-to-toe in black. If the burglar is armed, he likely does this for a living, which means he is likely to have been in this scenario before; likely to move more skillfully in the dark; likely to be more cool under pressure; and perhaps likely to have more firepower than you.

If you have kids in you're home, then it is most likely that your weapon is locked away and not loaded. (If this is not the case, you're a damned fool just begging for a home accident, as children, above all else, are curious beyond curious.) While you're fumbling around getting your ammo in the gun, the burglar may get the bead on you. But, let's suppose you are quiet and fast. You run down the stairs and yell, "Freeze!" but the burglar, who is already prepard for a conflict, has scounted out the best defense position from gunfire. He dives; you shoot and miss, creating a big noise. The burglar returns fire from behind the kitchen island.  Bullets are now flying, which of course is when your six-your-old, frightened by strange noise, saunters in the room and calls out, "Daddy?"

Still, most gun advocates on this board--at least, those who have never shot at a human being--will continue to advocate this "protect my home" position. And that, right there, is the biggest problem with guns. Very few of us would pick a fist fight with Brandon Spikes, but a gun gives a man who is overmatched in a fight the false courage to believe he is on equal standing. The sands of Iraq are littered with such Iraqis.

You are far better off to have a good lock system for your doors and windows; an alarm system with piercing sound; lights illuminating the perimeter of your house...and, if all that fails, a calm demeanor and the good sense to know that your family is more important than your valuables, and you are statistically much more likely to hurt yourself or your family members than to actually take out a skilled burglar.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

<But it is culture that determines people's attitudes toward the amendment and that makes it so difficult in our current political landscape to interpret it less rigidly or change it.>

I'm inclined to concur in this view.  Otherwise how could we have a 5-4 divided Supreme Court on whether or not the following sentence is about individuals or well-regulated militias:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Sections
Shortcuts