Could a Pats 3rd Seed Be Best Route To SB ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Could a Pats 3rd Seed Be Best Route To SB ?

IMO -

Pats are starting to peak at the right time and will win out and get the #1 seed .

That said :

It used to be that almost all SB winners were #1 or #2 seeds but times are changing

( See most recent GB / G-Men V's )

Obviously us Pats fans want that #1

(  BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY HOW LUCKY BOTH TEXANS / RAVENS HAVE BEEN LATELY )

Couple , two , three thoughts if Pats have to settle for the #3 seed :

1) Last game of the season is a home game vs Dolphins and might be a moot one - so team could have option of resting players for playoff run .

2) Will likely get a manageable Wild Card opponent ( Bengals / Colts ? )

3) IMO - Broncos / Manning are the team you want to avoid in Div. round - so having them travel to Hous. / Balt  (where there's a good chance of pulling an upset  )
     Sets up a late Jan. AFC playoff game at home vs. Manning ( Instant Classic )

I'm thinking the real danger might be allowing the Broncos to get in front of us

If that happens  - AFC Championship game might go thru Denver ... arrrgh .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Could a Pats 3rd Seed Be Best Route To SB ?

Take a look at Denver's schedule.

Winning out is likely the only way to hold off the Broncos.

I'm guessing the Pats will get the fourth seed, which will probably mean hosting old friend Bitchburgh and then a possible trip to Houston (unless something improbable happens).

We'll know before then how New England matches up with the Texans, although this is a season in which I might have liked to have gotten them in the playoffs without them having seen us first . . .   but what can you do?

Of course, the good thing about trying to predict the future is that you're almost certain to be wildly wrong, especially this year, as our "survivor" tournament so clearly outlined.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In the end I see the Patriots at 13-3 #1 seed.

#2 Houstons 12-4

#3 Balt or Pitt 11-5

#4 Den 11-5

#5 Balt or Pitt

#6 Ind 11-5

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

IMO,I don't care who the Pats face.If they're deserving of being in the Super Bowl,they should be able to beat any team standing in their way.I think they have a very good chance of doing that anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

#2 Houstons 12-4

#3 Balt or Pitt 11-5

#4 Den 11-5

#5 Balt or Pitt

#6 Ind 11-5

[/QUOTE]

I applaud your optimism!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

#2 Houstons 12-4

#3 Balt or Pitt 11-5

#4 Den 11-5

#5 Balt or Pitt

#6 Ind 11-5

[/QUOTE]

Wow. Doubtful. I mean, I wish that were the case, but I don't see it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sorry to be such a downer but there is no best route to the SB this season. 

Broncos look good, soft schedule for them the rest of the way with exception of the Ravens and the Bucs might give them a little trouble.  The Pats always have a tough time knocking off a Manning team.  I think this Broncos team is better then the past few years we played Manning when he was on the Colts.

Houston, well sometimes they look unbeatable but lately the look beatable, but only the Packers have done it.  We could easily split games with them, I don't see beating them twice here late in the season.  Hopefully it will be the playoff game we get the split win with them.

Ravens, well the Pats have problems against them, period!  We lucked out last season against them in the playoffs.  Flacco seems to be able to kick it up another level when he plays the Pats.

Like I say, no easy way this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I had a similar thought today. To be honest, at this moment, Denver scares me more than Baltimore and Houston. We will see how we fare against Houston, but until then, I think Denver is threat #1. The most important thing is making sure, if we don't get a bye, that we stay ahead of Denver in seeding.

The Broncos really only have two "tough" games left: vs Tampa Bay (who is hot right now...although I think Denver wins this) and @ Baltimore. Aside from that, they have 2 games against the Chiefs, one against the Browns, and the Raiders...pending a massive upset, these should all be wins.

Regardless, I think the Pats need to either win out or only lose one game in order to stay ahead of Denver.

I really like this team and although our biggest tests before the postseason (SF and Houston) are yet to come, I think they can succeed in any scenario. Let's just hope the Patriots play good football for the rest of the year and get healthy (Gronk, Jones, etc.).

EDIT: Reading TFB's post, I do agree with him...no route is easy. However, we shall see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

It doesn't matter since we have no control over it even if we win out the rest of the season. The Ravens have a tough schedule and may drop a couple. As long as we continue to improve and get to the playoffs healthy I'll be happy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

[QUOTE]

#2 Houstons 12-4

#3 Balt or Pitt 11-5

#4 Den 11-5

#5 Balt or Pitt

#6 Ind 11-5

[/QUOTE]

Realistically, I do not see the PATS getting the #1 seed.  They would have to win rest of,their games and hope Houston loses again.  Even if Pats win out, I think Houston goes 14-2 given their schedule.  Denver has a very easy schedule left with only Baltimore and Tampa being tough games.  I think Baltimore could lose 3 or 4 more games.  So, I see the PATS being a two seed at best and most likely ending up a three seed.   But of course, on any given Sunday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I think NE gets either the #2 or #3 seed, depending on who wins between Balt/Den.  The bye would be nice, but not a must.  I'm of the belief that you need to beat the best to be the best, so I don't really care which AFC teams we face.  I think that in the end, the Packers will be the toughest test, and I just hope we get the chance to face them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It doesn't matter who we play or where we play.  No one is stopping us.  I'd rather play in warm weather citys in January.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I don't think it makes much difference. As long as they make the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry to be such a downer but there is no best route to the SB this season. 

Broncos look good, soft schedule for them the rest of the way with exception of the Ravens and the Bucs might give them a little trouble.  The Pats always have a tough time knocking off a Manning team.  I think this Broncos team is better then the past few years we played Manning when he was on the Colts.

Houston, well sometimes they look unbeatable but lately the look beatable, but only the Packers have done it.  We could easily split games with them, I don't see beating them twice here late in the season.  Hopefully it will be the playoff game we get the split win with them.

Ravens, well the Pats have problems against them, period!  We lucked out last season against them in the playoffs.  Flacco seems to be able to kick it up another level when he plays the Pats.

Like I say, no easy way this season.

[/QUOTE]

This is how I see it too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have Baltimore falling to pieces, probably starting tomorrow at San Diego, by something prohibitive like 7 points.  Balt will probably beat Pitts by (my numbers) 7.3 points.  Then I favor the Red Skins (you couldn't say the Washington Black Skins but you can say Red Skins?) by 1.2 points over Baltimore in Week 14.  I favor Baltimore at home by 0.7 points, almost a pick em, versus Denver in week 15.  I favor Baltimore at home over the Giants by only 1.9 points in week 16.  I favor Cincinnati over Baltimore by 1.5 points in week 17. 

Denver has it easy except for Baltimore, but they have to catch the Patriots.  That's a dicey proposition if Chandler Jones and Gronk come back. 

Houston at Tennessee only gets 2.6 points from me.  At New England there's a 7.8 point gap -- if Houston doesn't go down I'll be surprised.  In week 17 Houston's away game at Indianapolis, Houston is favored by 3.7 points and there's some chance that Indy will want a wild card berth. 

I simply don't have any close games whatsoever on the radar for New England.  Houston down by 7.8 points is as close as anybody gets.  The game at Miami comes after a 10 day layover.  The San Francisco game is a wicked long plane flight for the biggest homer team on the list, plus SF has to play Seattle for the division championship the very next week, so that SF is now a 12.2 point prohibitive underdog. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

[QUOTE]

I have Baltimore falling to pieces, probably starting tomorrow at San Diego, by something prohibitive like 7 points.  Balt will probably beat Pitts by (my numbers) 7.3 points.  Then I favor the Red Skins (you couldn't say the Washington Black Skins but you can say Red Skins?) by 1.2 points over Baltimore in Week 14.  I favor Baltimore at home by 0.7 points, almost a pick em, versus Denver in week 15.  I favor Baltimore at home over the Giants by only 1.9 points in week 16.  I favor Cincinnati over Baltimore by 1.5 points in week 17. 

Denver has it easy except for Baltimore, but they have to catch the Patriots.  That's a dicey proposition if Chandler Jones and Gronk come back. 

Houston at Tennessee only gets 2.6 points from me.  At New England there's a 7.8 point gap -- if Houston doesn't go down I'll be surprised.  In week 17 Houston's away game at Indianapolis, Houston is favored by 3.7 points and there's some chance that Indy will want a wild card berth. 

I simply don't have any close games whatsoever on the radar for New England.  Houston down by 7.8 points is as close as anybody gets.  The game at Miami comes after a 10 day layover.  The San Francisco game is a wicked long plane flight for the biggest homer team on the list, plus SF has to play Seattle for the division championship the very next week, so that SF is now a 12.2 point prohibitive underdog. 

Good stuff Paul.  I'm always interrested in your numbers and analysis.  Hope you a right!

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

#2 Houstons 12-4

#3 Balt or Pitt 11-5

#4 Den 11-5

#5 Balt or Pitt

#6 Ind 11-5

[/QUOTE]

Maybe. But they could be #1 at 12-4 if one of those 12 is Houston. That is more likely than 13-3 IMO. But Im not sure Hou will lose 3 of thier last 5. Maybe. We'll see, but no matter what, beating Houston is required. You might lose to SF and still be ok with some help. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i dont see them getting the #1 seed, but they could get the #2 seed if they win out or lose just one more game, imo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The best route is always playing at home but the most likely route is through Texas. Now the Texans nearly lost to the Jags so they could easily drop a game or two along the way especially one of the two games against Indy. The #1 seed is still a possibility for the Patriots as long as they can take care of business on their own end.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The bye is probably the single most important thing I can think of to get to a Super Bowl - you sit at home for a week and get healthy while teams beat each other up. Then you get a chance to play in the cold at home (hopefully against a warm weather team). One less game to worry about...a short trip to the Super Bowl. I like our chances of getting a bye, we should be able to beat Miami twice and win one of the tougher games...12-4 sounds like it will get it done.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bye is probably the single most important thing I can think of to get to a Super Bowl - you sit at home for a week and get healthy while teams beat each other up. Then you get a chance to play in the cold at home (hopefully against a warm weather team). One less game to worry about...a short trip to the Super Bowl. I like our chances of getting a bye, we should be able to beat Miami twice and win one of the tougher games...12-4 sounds like it will get it done.

[/QUOTE]

What I'm thinking. some teams are playing to get in, the patriots are playing to get the top seed for the rest and the AFCCG at home

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

When all is said and done, being a #1 seed or #3 seed, they need to win all games to deserve to be in the SB.  Having byes are nice, but, still need to win the games!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Look at Houston's sched. Hard to think of a way they lose 3 of 5, even if NE beats them. They play the Colts twice, the Titans and Vikings at home and of course at NE. They have the same advantage the old Colts did: they play in the afc south! Assuming NE wins, you might hang your hope on at Indy and Minnesota, but its a stretch. These last two ghack jobs by Jax and Det have put the Pats in a tough position with Houston. By all rights, the Pats should have already tied them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Home field advantage with a first round bye would be my choice, but I'll take what I can get.