Could a Pats 3rd Seed Be Best Route To SB ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Could a Pats 3rd Seed Be Best Route To SB ?

Having a by week and playing at home are always best. But this year the bottom line is simply how good a TEAM do they field each game in the playoffs? Will this D with McCourty at safety and Talib and Dennard at CB and with the new blitzing options being used (Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Nink, Arrington) come together to be a force or just a group trying to hang on while the O tries to play a perfect game?

If the D keeps improving and the O is healthy this team will give everyone trouble regardless of venue or rest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry to be such a downer but there is no best route to the SB this season. 

Broncos look good, soft schedule for them the rest of the way with exception of the Ravens and the Bucs might give them a little trouble.  The Pats always have a tough time knocking off a Manning team.  I think this Broncos team is better then the past few years we played Manning when he was on the Colts.

Houston, well sometimes they look unbeatable but lately the look beatable, but only the Packers have done it.  We could easily split games with them, I don't see beating them twice here late in the season.  Hopefully it will be the playoff game we get the split win with them.

Ravens, well the Pats have problems against them, period!  We lucked out last season against them in the playoffs.  Flacco seems to be able to kick it up another level when he plays the Pats.

Like I say, no easy way this season.

[/QUOTE]

Not worried about the Broncos at all, TFB. Brady has just lit up that D the last few times they've played, and I just don't see it any different this time. Conversely, the Pats D is beginning to gel, and will be in good shape come playoff time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO -

Pats are starting to peak at the right time and will win out and get the #1 seed .

That said :

It used to be that almost all SB winners were #1 or #2 seeds but times are changing

( See most recent GB / G-Men V's )

Obviously us Pats fans want that #1

(  BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY HOW LUCKY BOTH TEXANS / RAVENS HAVE BEEN LATELY )

Couple , two , three thoughts if Pats have to settle for the #3 seed :

1) Last game of the season is a home game vs Dolphins and might be a moot one - so team could have option of resting players for playoff run .

2) Will likely get a manageable Wild Card opponent ( Bengals / Colts ? )

3) IMO - Broncos / Manning are the team you want to avoid in Div. round - so having them travel to Hous. / Balt  (where there's a good chance of pulling an upset  )
     Sets up a late Jan. AFC playoff game at home vs. Manning ( Instant Classic )

I'm thinking the real danger might be allowing the Broncos to get in front of us

If that happens  - AFC Championship game might go thru Denver ... arrrgh .

[/QUOTE]

impossible to tell who 3 seed woudl play. right now its #6 steelers.

steelers woudl have to go 5 and 1, and have a tough schedule,  to beat indy to the #5 slot. i have indy likely losing only 2 more. all unpredictable, thats why theres no way to tell.

of course i want the easiest road and prefer that over highest seed.

but ultimately i want to win, so whatever will give us that result (including in the sb :)

geat topic cap'n.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Take a look at Denver's schedule.

Winning out is likely the only way to hold off the Broncos.

I'm guessing the Pats will get the fourth seed, which will probably mean hosting old friend Bitchburgh and then a possible trip to Houston (unless something improbable happens).

We'll know before then how New England matches up with the Texans, although this is a season in which I might have liked to have gotten them in the playoffs without them having seen us first . . .   but what can you do?

Of course, the good thing about trying to predict the future is that you're almost certain to be wildly wrong, especially this year, as our "survivor" tournament so clearly outlined.

[/QUOTE]

p-mike,

re:
    "I'm guessing the Pats will get the fourth seed"
    thats been my prediction since early in the season. id love to get the #1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry to be such a downer but there is no best route to the SB this season. 

Broncos look good, soft schedule for them the rest of the way with exception of the Ravens and the Bucs might give them a little trouble.  The Pats always have a tough time knocking off a Manning team.  I think this Broncos team is better then the past few years we played Manning when he was on the Colts.

Houston, well sometimes they look unbeatable but lately the look beatable, but only the Packers have done it.  We could easily split games with them, I don't see beating them twice here late in the season.  Hopefully it will be the playoff game we get the split win with them.

Ravens, well the Pats have problems against them, period!  We lucked out last season against them in the playoffs.  Flacco seems to be able to kick it up another level when he plays the Pats.

Like I say, no easy way this season.

[/QUOTE]

thats been my sentiment all year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bye is probably the single most important thing I can think of to get to a Super Bowl - you sit at home for a week and get healthy while teams beat each other up. Then you get a chance to play in the cold at home (hopefully against a warm weather team). One less game to worry about...a short trip to the Super Bowl. I like our chances of getting a bye, we should be able to beat Miami twice and win one of the tougher games...12-4 sounds like it will get it done.

[/QUOTE]

"The bye is probably the single most important thing I can think of to get to a Super Bowl - you sit at home for a week and get healthy while teams beat each other up. Then you get a chance to play in the cold at home (hopefully against a warm weather team). One less game to worry about...a short trip to the Super Bowl."

agreed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I may be alone here but I dont see Pittsburgh making the playoffs at all, they are to beat up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I may be alone here but I dont see Pittsburgh making the playoffs at all, they are to beat up.

[/QUOTE]

Not alone...I don't see it either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not alone...I don't see it either.

[/QUOTE]

+1...it all depends on how quickly Roethlisberger gets back and how ready he is to play IMO. Their  next 3 games are at Baltimore, vs San Diego (who, despite their constant choking, is not an easy win) and at Dallas (basically same thing as San Diego). Cincinnati cannot be overlooked too. This year, I don't know how likely 9-7 (if they lost 2 games) is to get you into the playoffs...if they go 8-8 forget about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I have come to realize you cant can't count on help from other teams.

I go back to the 2002 season and the remarkable comeback to beat Miami  , down by 10 with what 3 minutes? They tie and win in OT. 

And of course the Packers and Farve would beat the Jets! Not!

I think the  2 seed is achievable .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have come to realize you cant can't count on help from other teams.

I go back to the 2002 season and the remarkable comeback to beat Miami  , down by 10 with what 3 minutes? They tie and win in OT. 

And of course the Packers and Farve would beat the Jets! Not!

I think the  2 seed is achievable .

[/QUOTE]

It does seem like no one is helping the cause. Balt and Texans lucked out this weekend, Denver - easy schedule.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Macrawn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Home field advantage with a first round bye would be my choice, but I'll take what I can get. 

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. Even if the Pats run the table, they still have to make up 2 games in the loss column to pass Houston or Baltimore. Hate to keep repeating it...but had the Pats handled their business against Arizona, Seattle, and/or Baltimore (really, the Pats could have and should have won all three games), they wouldn't be in this position. The Ravens in particular are a much better team at home, than on the road. As things stand, the Pats could be looking at facing the Steelers with a healthy Roethlisburger in the wild card round, and, if they get past Pittsburgh, then having to beat both Baltimore and Houston on the road...to get a rematch with the NY Giants in the SB. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah quag,

i posteed a thread on this a week or so ago.

was hoping the same for the giants, but their division is weeeeeeak... (weak as or weaker than ours)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Macrawn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Home field advantage with a first round bye would be my choice, but I'll take what I can get. 

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. Even if the Pats run the table, they still have to make up 2 games in the loss column to pass Houston or Baltimore. Hate to keep repeating it...but had the Pats handled their business against Arizona, Seattle, and/or Baltimore (really, the Pats could have and should have won all three games), they wouldn't be in this position. The Ravens in particular are a much better team at home, than on the road. As things stand, the Pats could be looking at facing the Steelers with a healthy Roethlisburger in the wild card round, and, if they get past Pittsburgh, then having to beat both Baltimore and Houston on the road...to get a rematch with the NY Giants in the SB. 

[/QUOTE]

""had the Pats handled their business against Arizona, Seattle, and/or Baltimore"

i lamented those crap losses and the consequnences as well after each one.

we are buildign now and thats whats important.

i had your similar scenario about the playoff matchups but beginning last week and moreso after this week, i see that pitt has a good shot to miss the wild card