Could Barrett/Ihedigbo be an upgrade over Meriweather at S?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

I want to start off by saying I've never been a Brandon Meriweather "hater." I've rooted for him every year he's been on the team and been optimistic about him reaching his potential. That said, it seems like he is falling more and more out of favor with the coaching staff due to inconsistent play (and maybe his off-field issues).

I'm looking at the way he's been used in the preseason, the revolving new looks at the S position, plus a free-agent visit with 49ers free agent Dashon Golson. This all suggests to me that coaching and/or ownership is unhappy with production at the safety position.

My proposal is that perhaps the Patriots could be better off cutting Brandon Meriweather. Instead of this type of scenario at safety:

Keep: Patrick Chung, Brandon Meriweather, Sergio Brown, Josh Barrett
    Cut: James Ihedigbo, Ross Ventrone

Could we see this combination used for the 53?

Keep: Patrick Chung, Sergio Brown, Josh Barrett, James Ihedigbo
    Cut: Brandon Meriweather, Ross Ventrone

Bear with me. By cutting Meriweather, you are definitely losing some freakish athleticism and big-play ability at the safety position. However, I think the team could also gain steadier production from that part of the field, as well as added special-teams value.

What do you all think? Am I taking crazy pills?

Also, someone please correct me if I am making an incorrect assumption that both Ihedigbo and Barrett are more valuable on special teams than Meriweather. I'm not as well-versed in the technical aspects of the game as a lot of the posters here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Could Barrett/Ihedigbo be an upgrade over Meriweather at S?

Meriweather is the second best S on the roster, he goes nowhere. Not unless he's going to be traded. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

NO. Sorry dude but ridiculous question. And they will not cut a two time pro bowler who obviously has value around the league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

BB is just messin' with Meriweather's head. Get him on the straight and narrow. Meriweather's biggest problem is imaturity but he still has talent. BB sticks with him and hopes he plays well this year playing for a future contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Could Barrett/Ihedigbo be an upgrade over Meriweather at S?:
    [QUOTE]BB is just messin' with Meriweather's head. Get him on the straight and narrow. Meriweather's biggest problem is imaturity but he still has talent. BB sticks with him and hopes he plays well this year playing for a future contract.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

most likely, though if bb finds something (a guy who can play), hes not opposed to using it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Could Barrett/Ihedigbo be an upgrade over Meriweather at S?:
    [QUOTE]I want to start off by saying I've never been a Brandon Meriweather "hater." I've rooted for him every year he's been on the team and been optimistic about him reaching his potential. That said, it seems like he is falling more and more out of favor with the coaching staff due to inconsistent play (and maybe his off-field issues). I'm looking at the way he's been used in the preseason, the revolving new looks at the S position, plus a free-agent visit with 49ers free agent Dashon Golson. This all suggests to me that coaching and/or ownership is unhappy with production at the safety position. My proposal is that perhaps the Patriots could be better off cutting Brandon Meriweather. Instead of this type of scenario at safety: Keep: Patrick Chung, Brandon Meriweather, Sergio Brown, Josh Barrett Cut: James Ihedigbo, Ross Ventrone Could we see this combination used for the 53? Keep: Patrick Chung, Sergio Brown, Josh Barrett, James Ihedigbo Cut: Brandon Meriweather, Ross Ventrone Bear with me. By cutting Meriweather, you are definitely losing some freakish athleticism and big-play ability at the safety position. However, I think the team could also gain steadier production from that part of the field, as well as added special-teams value. What do you all think? Am I taking crazy pills? Also, someone please correct me if I am making an incorrect assumption that both Ihedigbo and Barrett are more valuable on special teams than Meriweather. I'm not as well-versed in the technical aspects of the game as a lot of the posters here.
    Posted by PeaceLaur[/QUOTE]

Ihedigbo is a specail teams demon yes. dont knwo as much about barrett. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think they'll cut Meriweather, but they might trade him.  It strikes me that they aren't 100% happy with him and honestly I'd be surprised if they re-sign him when his contract is up.  Meriweather is athletically gifted at safety and can make good plays, but he makes a lot of mental mistakes and has a tendency to freelance more than I think BB likes. BB is big on smart, disciplined players who can be relied on to be in position and do the right thing on nearly every play.  I'm afraid Meriweather, for all his athletic talent, just isn't that kind of smart, disciplined player that BB likes. 

It will be interesting to see what BB does over the next few days at safety.  I think he'll be looking for options. I don't think a trade of Meriweather is out of the question, but I have trouble seeing BB getting rid of him if there isn't a better option to replace him than what we currently have, especially now that Sanders has been let go.  There just isn't a lot of tested depth at that position anymore. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

trade bait - not cutting a 2x pro bowler and cheap in his last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

watched the safeties all night...Ihedigbo had a pretty good game both on special teams and on the field...while merriweather didnt... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

From meriweather:

“Why everybody feel like I’m in trouble?”

Sounds like a 4th grader

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/02/meriweather-thinks-hell-still-have-a-job-come-saturday/

Ihedigbo might be the real, not sure about Barrett 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Could Barrett/Ihedigbo be an upgrade over Meriweather at S?:

They cut Lawyer Milloy so anything is possible

Meri's been bad this pre-season and when they have shown shots of him on the sideline I usually see a coach in his ear screaming.

In last nights game he was put in with the bubble players and players about to be cut.

Last season and all this pre-season we heard rumbling of the coaches saying Meri isn't listening and doing his own thing.

He's still making obvious mistakes in coverage, taking bad angles, and not soundly making tackles

All this leads me to believe that they will try to trade him. Will they cut him straight out? I don't think they will as he has higher upside then anyone but Chung but if they can get some picks for him I think they would flip him in a heartbeat

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

He wont be cut..but Ive seen stranger things....Pats def. have him on the block and are looking for one of the other safeties to step up.  Meri was out there last night w/ the scrubs....the only starter playing well into the 4th quarter...so def. not a good look for him...something def. happening there no doubt

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Also, Barret was a 1st rd talent coming out....running a 4.3 with good size...they started him w/CHung last night and I thought he played well.  He hits hard and didnt look lost.   I know he hasnt played much but if you can get Barret to play ok and work his way into a role, you have the same type athleticism as Meri, but in a much humbler player who has been cut and hasnt had the career he has hoped for.  I say Meri gets traded and if no suitors he will remain but as a backup until he gets it together.  Now Way he is the starter right now playing scrub time in the 3rtha nd 4th quarters....He is 3rd or 4th string at the moment...very sad

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't know if either Barrett or Ihedigbo would be an upgrade, and IMO I think if the Pats were gonna cut bait with Meriweather they would've traded him and got something while they could, especially before they released Sanders and let Page walk.  It seems to make sense that he'd be here for the year given the timing. But as others say, the Milloy situation showed that they'll move on from guys when they feel like they need to make a change, even right before the season starts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I just know Billichecks words about if a player continues to make the same mistake, he will be gone.  They gave him all last year to get it together, and even was benched for a few games has an whole offseason to think about it and gets his name in the news and comes back and isnt playing well on top of the mistakes and really just isnt a consistent tackler for a safety...So at this point he is on the team but not gonna be playing...remember we went with a rookie cb at safety in 03 and won a chip!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Anyone really concentrate on Barrett last night? I've been interested to see how this guy plays, with his size I can only picture him at strong safety, which would mean if you left him out there with Chung there would be major coverage problems. Rasi looked good from what I saw, he had great coverage on a guy in the corner of the endzone one time and seemed to be close to his man all night. I was surprised when they took this guy so high, but I stumbled on a draft publication from the year previous to his last (season before his injuries) and they had him as the second best corner heading into the draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I thougth Barret played well, better than I expected for his first time in Uni, and so far as him and Chung together and cant be worse than what Meri si doing right now.  People put too much into Chungs coverage skills, as he played a lot of nickel back last year but the star position is one of the hardest to do and man on man against wr's his not his strength and shouldnt be his job.  What he CAN do is cover the deep middle which is what he should be asked to do.  Our problem rigth now is we have no nickel back...and thats why Chung was there last year....w/ no Wilhite and Darius not physical enough and Kyle hurt...maybe Bodden plays there.(will make a thread on my theory later) and let Ras I play outside if he is ready on 3rd downs...Bodden is going thru something right now...either his shoulder is still sore...or Bill is hiding him for a surprise role come reg. season...

I think Meri's situation depends on who pops up on the waiver wire saturday

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

BB isn't messing with Meriweather. He's messing with the media and to a lesser extent, fans. They're just giving Brown and Barrett more opportunities to play next to Meriweather or Chung. Just developing some chemistry in case there's an injury during the season and Brown or Barrett need to start playing a lot more.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

From what I have been reading BB and the Pats are pretty high on Barrett.  As mentioned in previous posts he had good numbers at the combine.  Reason no one has heard about him is he has been hurt alot.  Its the old if he can stay healthy....... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Definitely waiting on the waiver wire, hoping to see an interesting names at S or OL. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Josh Barrett is a Beast. I saw him play throughout college here at Arizona State. Has never really been healthy. I predict he starts by game 4 or 5. This kid is a big time hitter, with more strength and power than Chung. If he develops, and learns the system here, everyone here will be very Happy. Has better than average coverage skills, makes up for that with great instincts. Could be the suprise of the year on Defense, once he gets in the Flow.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Remember in this system, Bill doesnt like to stress SS or FS, he likes them to be interchangable....so if Barret is out there he will have to adjust to both, but I dont see it as much of a problem as you do Russ.  Barrett was supposed to be high pick ,was in the green room and all.  He ran a freakish 4.3 40 yard dash and has the size you mentioned but slipped to 7th round due to reason beyond my knowledge, but whatever it is, if its teachable, this kid could be a steal.  I think it has to do w/ comprehension wouldnt bode well, but if they keep it simple w/him, he may be player