Could BB use all these picks to move up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Could BB use all these picks to move up?

no way BB will move up in the draft, don't be surpised if he trades oaks #1 pick down next year for a late #1  and a #3

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If there is a rookie pay scale then it is possible. One of BB's biggest issues with the draft is the insane amount of money you have to pay these kids who haven't even taken a snap. With a rookie pay scale a top pick might cost a fraction of the cost.

Now to those who say that it's not his money so why does he care the simple answer is when there was/will be a cap the more money spent on rookies means less money to spend on veterans. BB is a big picture guy and understands the pressure a top pick contract could put on a team if they don't perform.

Now on the other hand if the draft this year is weak they can move up grab what they can and try to trade back the rest into the next season. There's a lot they could do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Or, don't be surprised if Belichick trades a pick or two for a veteran player. You're right, you can't draft that many rookies knowing many of them won't even make the cut. Why not help another team get their guy while improving your team with a veteran that you know can deliver.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

Good point about trading a pic for a vet. Love that thought.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Yeah, I was thinking about this, too.

Trading picks for players is starting to look sensible.  Then again, we have all talked about how the draft has risk involved.  I wouldn't be too upset to see the Patriots draft ten players in the first five rounds, and keep the best five through training camp.

I don't know.  There's just so much flexibility now because of the way BB has been putting this draft together for a couple years now.  It's going to be fun to see what they do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

draft picks. I can't believe  people get excited over BB's potential draft pick. Give me a break

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Could BB use all these picks to move up?:
    [QUOTE]Good point about trading a pic for a vet. Love that thought.
    Posted by thehub[/QUOTE]

i don't think BB will do that, he wants to rebuild this team for another 5 year run with young talent. look what he picked up in 2010.

i see veteran free agents being added, but not for draft picks 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

Raider pick should be top 10.  mark ingram anyone?  A/the top WR?  The top OLB coming out?  CB?  OL?  considering at least 2 of the top 10 will be qb's, we should have our choice of a couple...  if the rookie pay scale is worked out, I think this is the year they finally reload.  Carolina's (2nd) could be a top 5 pick. We may actually have a shot at (3) 1's if they want and it makes sense.  Could be interesting...  goes against everything we've done in the past, but that's why it makes the most sense, too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

I think the Oakland pick will be top 5 and the Pats will make that pick.  When BB had a #6 pick in 2001, he used the pick for Seymour.  He'll use the high picks if he thinks he can get a player that is worthy of that high level.  I see him going DL or OL with the Oakland pick.  I'm excited for the draft already.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]i don't think BB will do that, he wants to rebuild this team for another 5 year run with young talent. look what he picked up in 2010. i see veteran free agents being added, but not for draft picks 
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]Kansas, there are not enough roster spots for all of these picks, let alone free agents. Something has to give.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

thing will keep changing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]thing will keep changing!
    Posted by NEforever[/QUOTE]Ain't that the truth. lol

Wow, with 13 second year players and 10 rookies currently on the roster and 10 picks next year, we're going to have a lot of new names to learn.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Money12. Show J-Money12's posts

I can assure you that BB will not draft Ingram. There is just too much risk involved and not enough reward. We are a pass first offense. Decent RB's aren't hard to find. You could find one in the 2nd that would be good for what we need him to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/10/6/1734271/patriots-2011-draft-outlook

This article makes an intriguing point.

"From a draft perspective, the Patriots can now acquire any player they want in the draft. They can move up if they see a prospect that they have to have, or they can move down and still have multiple first and second round draft picks to use on top talent.

This Patriots team lost its core and identity after the 2008 season. Now, the Patriots are starting to put new pictures on the wall. This young team is forging its own identity- and it starts through the draft."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

He absolutely would if he saw a player he really dug, someone like Mayo.  He absolutely would trade down if he didn't see a player he dug.  My guess is that we'll have a rookie salary cap, that will make higher draft choices less risky, and he'll be more willing to stay high or even trade up. 

The one thing I can gaurantee is that he'll do whatever he thinks gets the franchise the best possible return.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

With the drastic youth movement the Pats have been going through, it's not realisitic to simply point at past drafts and say, "Belichick will trade down for 'value.'"  As others here have pointed out, it's about flexibility and how the Pats rate the board. When it comes to Belichick and the draft, I generally decipher what I think will happen and then resign myself to the fact that it won't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Didn't BB make 13 trades in the space of two draft days in 2010 draft ? I'm done trying to predict what Belichick will do on draft day. I just figure it's  whatever's good for the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

it's water under the bridge but i think a 2nd rounder in the 2012 pick would have been a better deal. they alread have four picks in the first two 2011 rounds. if people are right and the 2011 draft turns out to be not deep, that third will not have as much trade value as in previous years. if they are unable to turn that around into a vet, then they will be stuck with it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Could BB use all these picks to move up?:
    [QUOTE]I can assure you that BB will not draft Ingram. There is just too much risk involved and not enough reward. We are a pass first offense. Decent RB's aren't hard to find. You could find one in the 2nd that would be good for what we need him to do.
    Posted by J-Money12[/QUOTE]

the risk-reward equation changes dramatically if a rookie pay scale becomes effective for the 2011 draftees. we could be talking about a significant decline in guaranteeed money that the pats would have. if that's the case drafting early rounders become worth it.

that said, i don't believe ingram is the best rb for nwe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

No one is trading Picks (ever again) if there is a cap put in place or at a minimum the Jimmy J chart will be recalibrated and it will be a lot more expensive to move up.