Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL

I dont get y when there clearly was a major demand out there for the kid that belichick could not atleast get a 5-6th rounder for kevin o'connell? in bill i trust too but like with his recent drafts, i think he slipped up a bit on this one.  detroit, denver, cleveland, jets, chiefs all would have come into play, plus untold others. i m sure bill has smart people around him capable of manipulating the non-detroit teams to offer something by reminding them that once kevin hits the waiver wire, detroit due to its lousy record would have first digs!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL

We don't know if they didn't try.  Maybe the teams figured he was going to get cut anyway and were willing to take their chances that he would clear waivers.  A 5th would have been too high, but maybe a 6th that conditionally became a 5th?

I would have thought Josh would have jumped at any trade offer.  O'Connell was his guy, and had a year in his system.  The Broncos top QB's are all injured too.  So we'll never never if we didn't try, or if the other teams just decided to take their chances and lost.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL

If there was trade value BB would have gotten at least twice what he was worth. if you listened to BB presser you would understand that the kid just coulnd't grast the offense.. Thats wehy he said that he MIGHT workout in another system..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to Re: Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL:
    We don't know if they didn't try.  Maybe the teams figured he was going to get cut anyway and were willing to take their chances that he would clear waivers.  A 5th would have been too high, but maybe a 6th that conditionally became a 5th? I would have thought Josh would have jumped at any trade offer.  O'Connell was his guy, and had a year in his system.  The Broncos top QB's are all injured too.  So we'll never never if we didn't try, or if the other teams just decided to take their chances and lost.
    Posted by carawaydj
    perhaps belichick knew detroit would have some interest with him on waivers but as trade bait and intentionally refused to allow or risk denver picking him up. perhaps felt threatened that josh could more likely bring out the best out of o'connell and that could pose a threat to the pats esp if the kid got play regularly and shine. either way, this deal didnt make me feel too good. i stilll would have preferred the draft pick. like the conditional pik idea. makes sense! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

A 2nd round pick who has never started a game and had a terrible pre-season?  What are you going to trade him for?  A pack of gum?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLoyalFan. Show PatsLoyalFan's posts

since he does alot of trades of guys he's thinking of cutting or knows it's a numbers game,   i.e.  vrabel, LeKevin smith, Hochstein,   go back the last two years there were several more,    i know he tried but when Walter is there everyone knows Walter is Belichick's #2 at this point since he's the prototypical guy he likes with the arm and 6'5" size.   so everyone knows OConnell would be cut so why would anyone give up a pick for him?    one thing i noticed with OConnell is he didn't seem to fit into our offense here.  he's too athletic and likes to move too fast to an incorrect spot to make a throw.   and he was always a second off timing wise with the wr's.   Everyone is saying Cassel had a bad preseason last year,  which he did,  but he was always in command of the play and was doing the right reads and making the right decisions. he just didn't have ANY of our starting olinemen as they were all injured last preaseason or had some minor injury that kept them all out at some point in preseason so he basically was running a #2 offense without Moss, Welker, the oline and Watson vs everyone's #1 defense.  so i was never worried about Cassel as I knew how hard he had worked learning our offense the previous 3 years.   Oconnell just didn't learn the offense nor was comfortable in it.  he'd be much better off in Detroit's system.  not to worry about not getting a pick.  you can't always get a pick for guys you don't want.    and we got picks for Hochstein and Smith which is really good value for guys that would not have made our team! 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL:
    I dont get y when there clearly was a major demand out there for the kid that belichick could not atleast get a 5-6th rounder for kevin o'connell? in bill i trust too but like with his recent drafts, i think he slipped up a bit on this one.  detroit, denver, cleveland, jets, chiefs all would have come into play, plus untold others. i m sure bill has smart people around him capable of manipulating the non-detroit teams to offer something by reminding them that once kevin hits the waiver wire, detroit due to its lousy record would have first digs!
    Posted by bubbakilla

Another day another lame attempt by bugboy Leon to dump on BB by posing as a disgruntled Pats fan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

does this clown not know that he doesnt need to say POLL at the end of every dumb question he has????

there is kinda a logo to the left that says its a poll

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to Re: Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL:
    does this clown not know that he doesnt need to say POLL at the end of every dumb question he has???? there is kinda a logo to the left that says its a poll
    Posted by rebels1520

its like my trademark moron. not everyone has your very high IQ or keen eye to grasp its a poll! (can u smell my sarcasm?). u dont have to come in or comment. its like a clear signal to my peeps to click in and for your kind to stay the heck out. thats how a board like this should voluntarily police itself! rather than the communist moderators to keep having your kind run under their skirts over hurt feelings or nonviolent and nonlewd contrarian opinions. the poll results thus far is 50% each way. clearly, many others out there have mixed feelings on this!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

Would any of you who watched Friday's game offered a draft pick for
    O'Connell?  Of course not!  His last pass attempt summed up his training
    camp.  He couldn't even complete an easy short pass to keep a drive alive.

The thing that is clouding your vision is that he was a 3rd round draft pick.
    He was picked by the Patriots over other higher rated quarterbacks like
    Colt Brennan.  The Patriots simply goofed on the pick.

With regard to the interest in O'Connell by other teams after he was cut,
    there is always a lot of interest after a high draft pick is cut.  I was surprised
    that Kansas City showed no interest.  Maybe, Pioli agreed with Belichick.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JordanFromMontreal. Show JordanFromMontreal's posts

I honestly think Bill had a player he didnt really need, and i think him and josh mcdaniels thought no body else would pick him up.  I mean its obvious Bill is not being greedy and scratching teams backs a lil with his trades with KC and Denver, etc.

I mean denver put in the waiver, along with detroit, the Jets and Cleveland football worse team.

and two hatred filled anti-belichick opposing coaches, Magini and Rex Ryan could have used some of the info oconnell had, he did know the most recent playbook of the patriots afterall.

I think Bill and Josh were trying to pull a fast one, and detroit snubbed him up pretty quickly, because they plain out suuck at every position so badly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

does this clown not know that he doesnt need to say POLL at the end of every dumb question he has???? there is kinda a logo to the left that says its a poll
    Posted by rebels1520

HAHA!  I think you actually nailed it.  I guess if you're trying to add value you would think even a 7th rounder could could potentially translate into something.  However, with 2 INTS against the Redskins second stringers he really didn't showcase anything for them.  I've got to assume they put him out there to try and show what he's capable of and it didn't happen so they just decided to move on.  It happens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL:
    Posted by bubbakilla

Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, making a trade might have occurred to BB before he waived the guy? Do you think that its possible that the organization made a few phone calls and got no offers whatsoever? Do you think that maybe picking a guy off the waiver wire for free is more attactive to other teams than giving up draft picks? 
    I think you really need to do a little logical analysis on these types of situations before you just proclaim BB and the entire organization somehow screwed up by not doing something that you'd like to have seen.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to Could Belichick instead have traded O'connell and received some compensation? POLL : Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, making a trade might have occurred to BB before he waived the guy? Do you think that its possible that the organization made a few phone calls and got no offers whatsoever? Do you think that maybe picking a guy off the waiver wire for free is more attactive to other teams than giving up draft picks?  I think you really need to do a little logical analysis on these types of situations before you just proclaim BB and the entire organization somehow screwed up by not doing something that you'd like to have seen.  
    Posted by unclealfie
    i will give them the benefit of the doubt that they may have done some due diligence and put out some feelers. but my common sense tells me that the window was simply too small to maximize momentum on the issue. again, in belichick i trust too, but i noticed the same thing with the cassell situation. rather than panicking or taking the most pessimistic move, often it is best to sat the maximal reasonable time in which u have to make a deal and get some kind of bidding war going amongst the teams. had he waited and shown some patience then, for even a freakin week, mcdanies for example could have come knocking with a possible first rounder or definitely not with vrabes included for a second. in this scenario, likewise, josh could have come knocking with a 6th-conditional 5th option for o'connell. even if the pick would be in 2011, he could have gotten something. 

i do sales and marketing and know football, and i m just not buying that with these assets, bel could get nothing better than he did. just not buying it. i think he gets disgusted with a player or reaches a boiling point with a situation and like a petulant kid, just wants way NOW on the issue. this may be an unfortunate remnant of his bernie kosar/ terry glenn days! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Airmanflight23. Show Airmanflight23's posts

Maybe this was a case where Pioli and Belichick did not see eye to eye?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

Maybe this was a case where Pioli and Belichick did not see eye to eye?
    Posted by Airmanflight23

absolutely! from what my sources tell me, josh mcdaniels was the biggest influence in making them sign him. paoli sided more with josh and bel kinda just went along on that one. o'connell was likely just a casualty of internal politics. had josh and/or paoli remained, odds are great that kevin would still be here. in worse case scenario, they would not have so summarily waived him. compensation would have been coming the pats way. bel acted like he just wanted the kid out of here. i dont think kevin ever got a real shot. 

Sections
Shortcuts