Could BPD have Prevented the Lloyd Murder?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Could BPD have Prevented the Lloyd Murder?

Yes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to kevin13130's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to NYC's comment:

Repeat ad nauseum. Why didnt the Pats check with the BPD before giving him a huge contract?

You keep saying the Pats should have known. Well, BPD knew nothing about AH's criminal activity; they completely overlooked him at the club and did not even question him.

That is not true. I do not keep saying that the pats should have known. I keep saying they should have asked, and should have checked. Per the article in the globe, according to the BPD, the pats security staff at the time, and the FBI, the Pats did not. The Pats have a huge budget for checking player back grounds, have a full time staff and have access to the NFL's even larger network and budget if they wish. 

Yes, the BPD may have been negligent and/or lazy, but unless someone is telling lies, so were the Pats. 

Unfortunately with regards to the BPD, another person was killed. Obviously to a much lesser degree of any importance, the Pats are left with an $8m cap hit and a gaping hole at the Move TE position. We can speculate on end if the Pats win the SB with Hern, regardless of the other injured players. 

Seriously. Why don't the Pats just assume everyone on their team is a murderer? It's good policy. I'm surprised more businesses don't do it. Kraft needs to run background checks on Brady and Belichick like yesterday.

C'mon Kevin. You cant be that dumb. Can you?

Of course don't assume that everyone is a murderer. Assume no one is. But if a team is getting ready to give a guy $40 million dollars, don't they do some deeper research on him, especially when his team mates have openly questioned him to the GM/Coach? When he has a 2nd apartment 5 miles from the stadium that is frequented by drug dealers and users? His family back ground and childhood and long time friends are known criminals?

Geez, how many red flags does one need to assume due diligence is in order? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

BPD isn't looking too fine on how they handled the drive by murders.  I hope a higher power investigates how BPD how they handled the investigations of the double homicides. In this lifetime.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

isn't Truechamp one of Rusty's names on this board? All this time I thought I was talking to Rusty, or Doug or what ever he goes by these days!

[object HTMLDivElement]

True use to be a good poster and at times was critical of the Pats too. But, lately it's turned into utter blind faith defense of BB where you either are for everything he does or you are a basher no matter past comments of praise for BB. It makes me wonder if they are really fans of the Pats or just of BB

[object HTMLDivElement]

Feel free to call me whatever names you feel you must. I am tired of coming on a Patriots board and consistently(dayafter day) reading posts from the same group of people talking about how BB forgot how to build good football teams(while we have won more games, post season games and super bowls then any team in his reign) and how Kraft was responsible for Aaron Hernandez killing people.

These are 2 of the dumbest ideas ever presented on this board. I get as pizzy as the next fan that we haven't gotten over the hump lately, I just don't act like a child and start biting the very hand that has fed us dominant football. If anybody here acts like rusty with his anti Brady rants, it is you guys with your anti Belichick rants, day after day, after day, after day.

And like it or not, you have suggested as well as rkarp that Kraft and company should have seen the "red flags" and that they should have "dug deeper". Well, I call B.S pal. You can deny saying it and now in hindsight say thats not what you meant but it is. You can keep attacking me on a personal level all you want, but when you make irresponsible statements about the football team we all come here to talk about, you're going to get called out. My comments pertained to the thread. It's not like I called you a whiny lil bich or anything personal. See the difference?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Of course don't assume that everyone is a murderer. Assume no one is. But if a team is getting ready to give a guy $40 million dollars, don't they do some deeper research on him, especially when his team mates have openly questioned him to the GM/Coach? When he has a 2nd apartment 5 miles from the stadium that is frequented by drug dealers and users? His family back ground and childhood and long time friends are known criminals?

For you, this argument is hindsight 20/20... Okay so lets play the game of.... say Hernandez didn't waste 3 dudes... but Kraft DID do this supposed 'digging' you wanted and didn't give AH the money. AH continues to do him, whatever that was, PCP, weed idk and doesn't get caught (because well he was never busted for drugs in the NFL before).... and then the Patriots let this talent walk right out the door. He goes on in the NFL and put together an All-Pro career and then letting AH walk just adds to peoples anti-BB argument.

Sad but true, probably 60%+ players in the league have long time friends that are criminals and family members who are as well. They all were and maybe are really close with gang members (a la D Jackson). Say what you want, but many football players grow up with crime ridden backgrounds and people close to them..

This is the NFL, crime central. Wife beaters, pot smokers, gun toters, etc.. Idk if you have mistaken the NFL for the church league, but your not being to realistic on the players and who they are and who they hang with.

There are just as many red flags to sign Gronk to a long term deal because he has some good odds of getting seriously injured in some drunken accident in the offseason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

RKarp, why would the Patriots check on a player with the Boston PD? What does the city of Boston have to do with anything? The team doesn't play there, Hernandez didn't live there, never even played a game in that city. Are they supposed to check with the Newton PD, how about Chelmsford or Methuen or Natick? I really don't understand what you think the Boston cops would tell the Patriots about AH?  Do you think they have a file on everyone who ever passed through, or stopped for a meal or a drink or whatever?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

RKarp, why would the Patriots check on a player with the Boston PD? What does the city of Boston have to do with anything? The team doesn't play there, Hernandez didn't live there, never even played a game in that city. Are they supposed to check with the Newton PD, how about Chelmsford or Methuen or Natick? I really don't understand what you think the Boston cops would tell the Patriots about AH?  Do you think they have a file on everyone who ever passed through, or stopped for a meal or a drink or whatever?

[object HTMLDivElement]

They wouldn't.  The entire premise that Kraft should be held responsible for a murderer is ignorant at best. Suggesting Aaron Hernandez's college profile contained clues to his murderous nature is equally as ridiculous.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Karp

I think your expectations of Kraft's ability to check out Hernandez are not realistic. 1) We now know BPD knew so little about AH they missed what was most obvious. They even saw AH on club video at Cure nightclub surveillance and thought nothing of it. 2) According to published reports AH did not have the crash pad in Franklin until some time after he signed the big contract in August 2012 so it would not have been possible for them to know about something that did not yet exist. 

However, I deeply regret the Patriots having ever selected Hernandez. It is one of the most horrible mistakes in Patriots history. It is a stain on the franchise and is more embarrassing than the worse loss the Patriots have ever encountered. Could it have been prevented? What did Urban Meyer tell BB about AH? Did he tell him about Hern being questioned in the double shooting in Florida in 2007? Did they know but based on Meyer's accounts felt he had changed? I don't think we will ever fully know the answer to these questions but the Patriots must claim some responsibility to research these things and evaluate character based on that.

Hopefully, we all learn from our mistakes. ....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well someone better start checking on the Pouncys then.  There's red flags there galore. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

Karp

I think your expectations of Kraft's ability to check out Hernandez are not realistic. 1) We now know BPD knew so little about AH they missed what was most obvious. They even saw AH on club video at Cure nightclub surveillance and thought nothing of it. 2) According to published reports AH did not have the crash pad in Franklin until some time after he signed the big contract in August 2012 so it would not have been possible for them to know about something that did not yet exist. 

However, I deeply regret the Patriots having ever selected Hernandez. It is one of the most horrible mistakes in Patriots history. It is a stain on the franchise and is more embarrassing than the worse loss the Patriots have ever encountered. Could it have been prevented? What did Urban Meyer tell BB about AH? Did he tell him about Hern being questioned in the double shooting in Florida in 2007? Did they know but based on Meyer's accounts felt he had changed? I don't think we will ever fully know the answer to these questions but the Patriots must claim some responsibility to research these things and evaluate character based on that.

Hopefully, we all learn from our mistakes. ....

Tom Brady will forever be linked with the Patriots

so will Aaron Hernandez   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

They wouldn't.  The entire premise that Kraft should be held responsible for a murderer is ignorant at best. Suggesting Aaron Hernandez's college profile contained clues to his murderous nature is equally as ridiculous.  

Rkarp is not claiming the Pats should be held responsible for Hernandez's crime, he's just expressing an opinion that maybe the Pats should have done better due diligence before re-signing Hernandez (and maybe before drafting him). 

Personally, I'm not sure whether the Pats' due diligence was sufficient or not . . . I wasn't involved.  But certainly the Hernandez deal was a mistake in hindsight, and anytime a mistake like that is made it's certainly legitimate to question whether more could have been done upfront to avoid it. Maybe not . . . not every mistake is avoidable.  But there is evidence that other teams did feel Hernandez was too risky to draft, so maybe the Pats' approach can be questioned. Were the Pats too willing too ignore or dismiss warning signs that other teams took seriously?  We don't know, but given all that has transpired, it's a reasonable question. I'm sure Bob Kraft is asking it himself. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

The real question was Hernandez a sociopath or a psychopath?

Characteristics of a sociopath are as followed :

1. Sociopaths are very charming.
    2. Sociopaths can be extremely manipulative and will try to con you whenever possible.
    3. Sociopaths feel that they are entitled to everything.
    4. Sociopaths will lie continuously to get what they want. They can even sometimes manipulate a lie detector.
    5. Sociopaths have no remorse, shame or guilt.
    6. Sociopaths will show love and happiness only when it serves their purpose. None of the feelings are genuine.
    7. Sociopaths have no room for love in their life.
    8. Sociopaths need to have excitement in their lives or live on the edge.
    9. Sociopaths have lack of empathy hen their victims suffer pain that they have caused.
    10. Sociopaths believe that they are all mightier than tho, there is no concern on how their behavior impacts others.
    11. Sociopaths usually have a long history of juvenile delinquency as well as behavior problems.
    12. Sociopaths will never take blame for anything they have done to anyone no matter if it is family or friend.
    13. Sociopaths have many sexual partners and tend to act out many sexual acts.
    14. Sociopaths rarely stay in one place for a long time (home/work).
    15. Sociopaths will change themselves if they know it will keep them from being found out.

Characteristics of a psychopath are as followed:

1. Psychopaths use superficial charm to lure their victims.
    2. Psychopaths are extremely self-centered.
    3. Psychopaths must always do something to keep themselves from boredom.
    4. Psychopaths are very deceptive and tend to lie continuously.
    5. Psychopaths show no remorse of guilt towards their victims.
    6. Psychopaths are very predatory and usually will live off other people.
    7. Psychopaths have many sexual partners in their lifetime.
    8. Psychopaths are very impulsive with their lifestyle.
    9. Psychopaths are always blaming other people for their actions.
    10. Psychopaths never have a realistic view of their lives. (king of the world or from another planet)
    11. Psychopaths always want psychological gratification in sexual and criminal activities.
    12. Psychopaths tend to try suicide, rarely succeeding.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Repeat ad nauseum. Why didnt the Pats check with the BPD before giving him a huge contract?

Um, did ESPN ask the Boston police about you?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Muzzy,

the Pats have 5 people on staff dedicated to "internal security"..1 of them was with the BPD and another was with the Providence PD. the Pats have good connections and tie in with both police departments, and the players are very well known to be in both cities very frequently

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

you do realize that while at UF AH was a "prime person of interest" in a shooting, along with bith Pounceys and Reggie Nelson, right? the victim pointed the finger at the person most looking like AH, but there was not enough evidence to arrest

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Um, did ESPN ask the Boston police about you?

I would assume that if ESPN decided to offer me $40M that they would check...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Rkarp is not claiming the Pats should be held responsible for Hernandez's crime, he's just expressing an opinion that maybe the Pats should have done better due diligence before re-signing Hernandez (and maybe before drafting him). 

Personally, I'm not sure whether the Pats' due diligence was sufficient or not . . . I wasn't involved.  But certainly the Hernandez deal was a mistake in hindsight, and anytime a mistake like that is made it's certainly legitimate to question whether more could have been done upfront to avoid it. Maybe not . . . not every mistake is avoidable.  But there is evidence that other teams did feel Hernandez was too risky to draft, so maybe the Pats' approach can be questioned. Were the Pats too willing too ignore or dismiss warning signs that other teams took seriously?  We don't know, but given all that has transpired, it's a reasonable question. I'm sure Bob Kraft is asking it himself. 

Pro, why is it that no one other than you gets this? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Well someone better start checking on the Pouncys then.  There's red flags there galore. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

I would assume this is not a sarcastic comment, because it is very, vey true

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Not entirely sure I understand the point of perpetuating this discussion.  How much did they know about AH to begin with?  Who knows?  Did the Pats screw up? I suppose they could have done something differently and learned more about him.  Have they taken steps to prevent recurrence?  It certainly appears as though they have.

So the point of continuing the AH woulda/coulda/shoulda discussion is precisely what?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

So RKarp, the Patriots apparently do their due diligence on every other player they sign, but then just said 'f*ck it, lets give Hernandez a big contract, chances are that things will be ok...'. I don't buy that, Belichick is known to be thorough to the point of being anal about having every option covered, with contingencies. There is no way he signed off (and had Kraft sign off) on the contract without having a clean background check. Other than what went on in Florida 4 or 5 years earlier, where, as you said,  charges were dropped, there was nothing to suggest Hernandez was a sociopath, a psychopath, or just an evil person. There was NOTHING, no police reports, no arrests, no social media posts, no 'journalistic investigations' by you organization or any other. And when there is nothing, that is all you can go by, no news is good news...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

So RKarp, the Patriots apparently do their due diligence on every other player they sign, but then just said 'f*ck it, lets give Hernandez a big contract, chances are that things will be ok...'. I don't buy that, Belichick is known to be thorough to the point of being anal about having every option covered, with contingencies. There is no way he signed off (and had Kraft sign off) on the contract without having a clean background check. Other than what went on in Florida 4 or 5 years earlier, where, as you said,  charges were dropped, there was nothing to suggest Hernandez was a sociopath, a psychopath, or just an evil person. There was NOTHING, no police reports, no arrests, no social media posts, no 'journalistic investigations' by you organization or any other. And when there is nothing, that is all you can go by, no news is good news...

Yet it has been widely reported that other teams felt there was enough out there to take Hernandez off their draft boards.  

If what is reported is true--that many teams felt Hernandez was too great a risk to draft--then it is clear that the Patriots either:

• Were less effective in their due diligence than other teams, or

• Chose to accept larger risks

I don't know why everyone is jumping all over Rkarp.  If the reports are true (and given the fact that Hernandez fell to the fourth round, they likely are), then the Pats clearly took a different approach than some other teams.  It's perfectly legitimate to question whether the Pats' approach was wise or not. 

I'm not sure I'd call drafting (and later re-signing) Aaron Hernandez an ethical failure. In fact, there's an argument to be made that giving a person who has done something wrong a second chance is ethically admirable. But I do think there's a possibility that drafting and re-signing of Hernandez was a business failure.  Note, I say "possibility." I'm not sure it really was a failure.  Businesses don't succeed without accepting some level of risk.  The question is always whether the return on risky moves is sufficient to compensate for the inevitable losses from greater exposure to risk. One caution for those who want to evaluate the Pats' higher risk approach:  you can't make a judgment of success or failure based on a single incident. You can only manage risk in the aggregate--with successful outcomes offsetting the unsuccessful ones. So evaluating the Pats success with a higher risk strategy requires looking at all their decisions and asking, when everything is added together is the balance sheet netting out black or red . . . While the Hernandez decision was clearly a loss in the end (at least the decision to re-sign him was a loss--you could argue the first contract was a success), that loss does not mean the strategy of taking on more risk is necessarily a failure.  You have to look at the aggregate results to judge that . . .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I really do dislike repeating myself and I'm not trying to 'jump on' anyone but I simply have to reiterate:  So the point of continuing the AH woulda/coulda/shoulda discussion is precisely what?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I really do dislike repeating myself and I'm not trying to 'jump on' anyone but I simply have to reiterate:  So the point of continuing the AH woulda/coulda/shoulda discussion is precisely what?

What's the point of your asking this?

It's all the same . . . Just filling time . . . 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Seriously. Why don't the Pats just assume everyone on their team is a murderer? It's good policy. I'm surprised more businesses don't do it. Kraft needs to run background checks on Brady and Belichick like yesterday.

If you took my point literally, then I'm not the one who's being dumb. Every business does its due diligence on its employees, and I'm sure the Pats looked into Aaron Hernandez probably much earlier than when they drafted him and certainly right after. We can only assume few or no red flags popped up there because the Pats ultimately drafted him and played him. Once a company hires an employee, it doesn't run background checks on the guy every time they give him a promotion. That'd be ridiculous, not to mention insulting.

And you do realize that a background check only goes so far, right? At most, it verifies the person's identity, credit history, and criminal history. It does not entail hiring a PI and following the guy around, which is what probably would've been required for the Pats to know about Hernandez's off-field activities.

Looking back, knowing what we know now, should the Pats have investigated Hernandez? No. Because unless there is a real, imminent threat (like if Hernandez taped himself saying he's going to go on a rampage), there is literally no reason for anyone to suspect him, even if he hangs out with bad company. You can't live in the US and enjoy the freedom of association and right to privacy, then rip on organizations and law enforcement for respecting those freedoms before they have strong evidence that someone has committed a crime. If that were possible, we could all badmouth someone we hated and get innocent people into trouble, which is what happens in some countries around the world today. Everything you've listed as "red flags" for Hernandez are either rumors or circumstantial evidence. It's a good thing our justice system, and indeed our society as a whole, doesn't operate the way you're suggesting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If you took my point literally, then I'm not the one who's being dumb. Every business does its due diligence on its employees, and I'm sure the Pats looked into Aaron Hernandez probably much earlier than when they drafted him and certainly right after. We can only assume few or no red flags popped up there because the Pats ultimately drafted him and played him. Once a company hires an employee, it doesn't run background checks on the guy every time they give him a promotion. That'd be ridiculous, not to mention insulting.

And you do realize that a background check only goes so far, right? At most, it verifies the person's identity, credit history, and criminal history. It does not entail hiring a PI and following the guy around, which is what probably would've been required for the Pats to know about Hernandez's off-field activities.

Looking back, knowing what we know now, should the Pats have investigated Hernandez? No. Because unless there is a real, imminent threat (like if Hernandez taped himself saying he's going to go on a rampage), there is literally no reason for anyone to suspect him, even if he hangs out with bad company. You can't live in the US and enjoy the freedom of association and right to privacy, then rip on organizations and law enforcement for respecting those freedoms before they have strong evidence that someone has committed a crime. If that were possible, we could all badmouth someone we hated and get innocent people into trouble, which is what happens in some countries around the world today. Everything you've listed as "red flags" for Hernandez are either rumors or circumstantial evidence. It's a good thing our justice system, and indeed our society as a whole, doesn't operate the way you're suggesting.

you do realize that the Pats have 5 people at in house security including ex BDP and PPD and private investigating, following people around, checking out their friends etc is EXACTLY what they do...

The Pats, as every NFL team do this prior to giving out big contracts and deciding on draft choices

Sections
Shortcuts