COULD EDELMAN BECOME THE BEST PUNT RETURNER IN TEAM HISTORY?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

COULD EDELMAN BECOME THE BEST PUNT RETURNER IN TEAM HISTORY?

first edelman's average is 13.7, by far the HIGHEST in team history, of those with at least 20 returns. second is a mack herron with 12 yards average. wes welker is at a surprisingly low 10.7 for 4th place on the career pats list. part of wes' number is because like troy before him, he is often in the game as a fair catch guru when deep in his own territory. julian often appears only in obvious return situations. for his career, he has 44 punts for 603 yards, wes is at 89 for 942. 

edelman is only the FOURTH pat to ever return multiple punts for TDs. his 94 yarder last year is the longest in the history of the team. the great troy brown has the all-time Td record of 3 in many more years and opportunities. speedsters irving fryar and michael haynes are tied with mr. edelman. i believe if given the opportunities and years, julian can easily get into double digits in Tds due to his absolute violent and aggressive running style and his knack to show up in big games and not be initimidated by the moment or the spotlight!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: EDELMAN IS THE BEST PUNT RETURNER IN TEAM HISTORY?

Punt return average is one of the more useless stats in football. If a team punts at their own 1 it will be more of a long line drive and get returned for 15 or 20 yards. If they punt at the 50 or around there it will be returned for 3 yards since it will be popped up in the air and the coverage will be there by the time it's caught. So the biggest factor in punt return average is where those punts are coming from. I haven't seen all the returners in Pats history but I would say if Edelman is the best than it would be a sad group. Outside of the one TD the other week I've never really seen him do anything on a punt return to make me think he was anything more than ordinary.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Let's try Troy Brown on for size!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Troy Brown did it most when it mattered most.  Irving Fryar and Dave Meggett also have better stats and actually showed up during the playoffs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

Dumb post coming just because he scored last game

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Ummmmm, No!

Not even close.

When he starts returning punts for TD's in playoff games that get us into the SB, maybe, but even Dave Megget and Derrick Collurs are ahead of him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanWilmingtonDE. Show PatsFanWilmingtonDE's posts

Ummm. No.

Wozzy said it best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Ever hear of Mike Haynes? He was OK.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: EDELMAN IS THE BEST PUNT RETURNER IN TEAM HISTORY?:
    [QUOTE]Ever hear of Mike Haynes? He was OK.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Haynes was good, so were Ellis Hobbs, Stanly Morgan, Kevin Faulk and Welker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Still Troy Brown, but I too like the way Edleman seems to be completely hyped for every second he's on the field.  He wants to play football.  And we could be all agreeing with you if he takes a couple more to the house and one of them is in a playoff game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In Response to Re: EDELMAN IS THE BEST PUNT RETURNER IN TEAM HISTORY?:
    [QUOTE]  Still Troy Brown, but I too like the way Edleman seems to be completely hyped for every second he's on the field.  He wants to play football.  And we could be all agreeing with you if he takes a couple more to the house and one of them is in a playoff game.
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I like Edelman.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

GOOD posts, i stand corrected! was leaning towards edelman. like with gronk, its doing it with the money on the table in the playoffs. if gronk disappears this year or drops or fumbles the ball in a crunch playoff situation, no way is he the greatest ever. if julian takes too back against the ravens sending us to the Sb or does it in the super bowl sending us to a ring, he would then be in the equation. should have said "COULD HE BE THE the best.."... referring to his skillset. i totally forgot about my boy dave meggett, loved watching that little maggett run esp in NY. assumed he was just for kickoffs!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: COULD EDELMAN BECOME THE BEST PUNT RETURNER IN TEAM HISTORY?

why not?

also, i get reall scared seeing ww back there doing the pr gigs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Weren't you pretty down on Edelman in the pre-season? It's hard to keep all the Edelman haters separate. 

I like Edelman's willingness to play wherever the team needs him. I'm not sure if he can ever rank with the all time greats but I'm not sure that matters. What matters is that he's finding a way to make a contribution despite failing as wide receiver.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

maybe average wise, and he's the best guy they have out there now to return punts.. troy brown didn't have his stats but he was clutch and didn't fumble. meggett was pretty good too.

i'd like to see him more on kickoffs, slater too even though he had that terrible fumble. woodhead just isn't the guy, every return seems to be in between the 18 and 20 yard line. he's quick but not fast enough for a big return.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Let's try Troy Brown on for size!

Sh*t**sburg 2001 solves that. Irvan till his wife knifed him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: COULD EDELMAN BECOME THE BEST PUNT RETURNER IN TEAM HISTORY?:
    [QUOTE]Weren't you pretty down on Edelman in the pre-season? It's hard to keep all the Edelman haters separate.  I like Edelman's willingness to play wherever the team needs him. I'm not sure if he can ever rank with the all time greats but I'm not sure that matters. What matters is that he's finding a way to make a contribution despite failing as wide receiver.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    never BEEEEN down on edelman. dont think he failed at receiver at all. just hasnt gotten the chance, like saying hoyer has failed as a qb. how do you/we know that? i do know that when he got a fair opportunity when wes went out he was a total beast including a playoff game. he stopped learning how to catch and run routes after that? had wes not come back , no doubt edelman would be a 100 catch type guy. everyone said how much he was like welk. unfortunatelhy no team needs two slot guys featured esp when we have both gronk and herny. jules is the odd guy out. no doubt bb has confidence in him but as a welk clone only. 

i agree with the guy who said he gets nervous seeing ww back there. dont know why bb does this stuff. should not be the featured guy..period! on that td by jules, if u slow down the retuen on nfl.com or watch bill do his billestrattoe schtik on patriots.com with zolak, wes threw the key block that sprung him. again, y is welk being featured there? just an injury or cheapshot begging to happen. more ur out there, more likely crapp will soon happen!