Could Edelman fill in for Faulk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

Could Edelman fill in for Faulk?

Could Edelman be our new 3rd down back? I remember watching Edelman while i was at the Pats training camp run with the backs for an entire morning session. The Pats have many packages where Julian lines up as a back. The kid is versatile, which is why BB loves him. I think the transition could be an easy one....The only area i worry about his his ability to pick up the blitz. Something he has probably never been asked to do.....Am i way off here? The only thing better than 1 Welker is 2....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Could Edelman fill in for Faulk?

Plenty of people have that idea, but they all forget that Edelman isn't a RB. There is a huge difference between moving from a QB to a RB. The kind of wear and tear that RBs have to go through isn't something that a QB like Edelman ca take. He's already hurt every week because he's body's not used to playing WR and taking hits, switching him to RB would be painful. 

Woodhead is the best possible replacement. He's a RB that plays WR and can learn to pick-up the blitz. Woodhead is a threat to run the ball, catch and stay in to block. With Edelman, we know it's a pass. Teams wouldn't respect the run on third downs. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My prediction is that Aaron Hernandez (assuming he's able to handle some blitz pick up) will help fill the void.  The kid spent a lot of time in the backfield at Florida and could do some damage on inside draws, delays and shuffle passes as well as handling screen passes and could be a factor on 3rd down.  He's gonna create mis-matches wherever he lines up on the field because he's too fast/quick/athletic for most LB's and too big and strong for most safety's and nickel corners. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Could Edelman fill in for Faulk?:
    [QUOTE]My prediction is that Aaron Hernandez (assuming he's able to handle some blitz pick up) will help fill the void.  The kid spent a lot of time in the backfield at Florida and could do some damage on inside draws, delays and shuffle passes as well as handling screen passes and could be a factor on 3rd down.  He's gonna create mis-matches wherever he lines up on the field because he's too fast/quick/athletic for most LB's and too big and strong for most safety's and nickel corners. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

My vote is for Hernandez as well. I think he possesses the better all around skill set to "replace" Faulk's production and not limit the Pats or telegraph what we are doing. I wouldn't feel good about Edelman running out of the backfield or in blitz pick-up, and Woodhead although a threat out of the backfield to run and catch, I don't feel comfortable with him protecting Brady back there. 

Perhaps what we are going to see is a combination of the 3. Each are unique and could help the Pats in different ways. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Picking up the blitz is probably the most important skill for Faulk's position in our offense.  Having never seen any of these guys pass block in the backfield, I have no idea which one is the best to replace Faulk.  Until we see who can block, everything is just speculation at this point.  At this point, I'd expect Morris to get more of these snaps, just because he's got some experience being a blocker in the backfield.  But the long-term answer could very well be someone else--but we won't know who until we know who can block best on passing plays. Will be an interesting thing to watch for this week, though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

To answer this question in one word...NO. Neither will Woodhead or Fernandez take the place of Kevin. Like Troy Brown or Willie McGinest, the loss is great and simply cannot be "filled in". I'm sure they will use a combination of the newer guys to help out on 3rd downs, but Faulk was the best this team ever had. He and Brady were on the same page, and he excelled in all three phases, rushing, receiving, and blocking. I doubt that will be duplicated by one man (at least not in the short term). I do like the idea of getting Hernandez involved more, hell, he's in the top ten in the league for receiving yardage! Hopefully Woodhead can run, they need to be able to convert on the ground. I don't know if we'll see Kevin in uniform again, and it's a huge loss. Though his cousin Marshall got all the accolades and press, Kevin so many times kept this offense moving. And he has three rings to Marshall's one! Guess which one will get to Canton, though. Not fair, IMO. I'll be very anxious on 3rd downs now. You could count on Faulk converting 8 of 10 times, and giving his all 100% of the time. Hopefully the new guys will step up and be productive in these situations. But there's simply no replacing Kevin, he has been a cornerstone of this offense for years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

edelman is all purpose, WR, TB and 3rd string QB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I'm hoping Woodhead can fill Faulk's role. Hernandez and Edelman could also be tried, but Woodhead already has experience in that role. He was by far the best running back in division II for a few years, and he caught plenty of passes coming out of the backfield. The one knock is that he looks very small, and I don't know if he can handle a blitzing linebacker. He's listed at 5'9" and 200lbs, which is similar to Faulk, but Faulk never looked as small.
    He is a lot faster than Faulk. At his pro day he was timed at between 4.33 and 4.38 in the forty, and he also did 20 reps at 225lbs. I'm hoping that Woodhead ends up being a steal for the Pats and the Jets end up regretting letting him go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We may be in line for a small offensive change in game plan. None will do what Faulk did. We have seen a few plays where Gronk and AH line up as fullback right of QB and either lead block for a run or run out of for the catch. I like that play a lot and hope to see mnore of it. I think the most important thing Faulk did was pick up the blitz/be in the right place, and that should be the determining factor in attempting to fill the void he leaves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

Are you kidding me? He's smaller than I am. That Lb from Buffalo what's his name Pudwadski will run him over on the blitz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hoping Woodhead can fill Faulk's role. Hernandez and Edelman could also be tried, but Woodhead already has experience in that role. He was by far the best running back in division II for a few years, and he caught plenty of passes coming out of the backfield. The one knock is that he looks very small, and I don't know if he can handle a blitzing linebacker. He's listed at 5'9" and 200lbs, which is similar to Faulk, but Faulk never looked as small. He is a lot faster than Faulk. At his pro day he was timed at between 4.33 and 4.38 in the forty, and he also did 20 reps at 225lbs. I'm hoping that Woodhead ends up being a steal for the Pats and the Jets end up regretting letting him go.
    Posted by dfitzp[/QUOTE]

You're right he does look smaller than listed and probably is. I wonder if he will be fumble prone? With a set of small hands and short arms it will not help, nor will it help in pass protection, but he looks like he has got hart and a decent skill set. This signing couldn't of come at a better time. He'll probably be a work in progress, but I think you'll be seeing plenty of him by the end of the year or sooner. When you can't run the ball effectively on first and second down, third downs become longer and more crucial.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Plenty of people have that idea, but they all forget that Edelman isn't a RB. There is a huge difference between moving from a QB to a RB. The kind of wear and tear that RBs have to go through isn't something that a QB like Edelman ca take. He's already hurt every week because he's body's not used to playing WR and taking hits, switching him to RB would be painful.  Woodhead is the best possible replacement. He's a RB that plays WR and can learn to pick-up the blitz. Woodhead is a threat to run the ball, catch and stay in to block. With Edelman, we know it's a pass. Teams wouldn't respect the run on third downs. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Can't believe it, but I agree with you!?

Sections
Shortcuts