Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR?

Could another soon to be ex-Raider be making his way to Foxboro? In 2008, Uncle Al signed Javon Walker to a lucrative contract to be the Raiders' #1 WR. But, due to injuries and poor QB play, that hasn't happenned. Now, the 31 year old former pro-bowler is seeking his release: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_13776396?nclick_check=1 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR?

Um no.  There is not enough games left in the season to bring in a new WR and get him acclimated to the play book and QB timing.....our 3rd WR is on the team right now....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

If it were a league minimum deal, I'd give him a look.  But, there is not much reason to expect anything from Walker anymore.  I know things are really bad in Oakland, but 15 catches in 11 games, from someone supposedly so talented?  Something's up with the guy.  I wouldn't expect to be getting much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I agree about a receiver comeing in to learn,but who is our third receiver?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR?:
    [QUOTE]     Could another soon to be ex-Raider be making his way to Foxboro? In 2008, Uncle Al signed Javon Walker to a lucrative contract to be the Raiders' #1 WR. But, due to injuries and poor QB play, that hasn't happenned. Now, the 31 year old former pro-bowler is seeking his release: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_13776396?nclick_check=1  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

TP,
    I'm sure Walker is seeking his release but if I were the Raiders I wouldn't just cut him loose because he does have some value. I have a feeling Walker saw Larry Johnson get his walking papers and figures he might be able to pull the same thing. However the Chiefs really didn't want Johnson around the club house and nobody would give up a draft pick for that slug anyway. This isn't the case with Walker. They will hold on to him until the offseason and at least get a draft pick for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]     Could another soon to be ex-Raider be making his way to Foxboro? In 2008, Uncle Al signed Javon Walker to a lucrative contract to be the Raiders' #1 WR. But, due to injuries and poor QB play, that hasn't happenned. Now, the 31 year old former pro-bowler is seeking his release: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_13776396?nclick_check=1  

Tex, too late for 2008 (typo) season. Walker has had two productive seasons as a pro. None since joining the Raiders. He's now on the bench watching the game. The Pats have enough WRs at this time and no time for he and Brady to get the playbook and timing down. No more Joey's please.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR?:
    [QUOTE]I agree about a receiver comeing in to learn,but who is our third receiver?
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Right now?  Aiken/Slater/Tate until Edelman comes back......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]If it were a league minimum deal, I'd give him a look.  But, there is not much reason to expect anything from Walker anymore.  I know things are really bad in Oakland, but 15 catches in 11 games, from someone supposedly so talented?  Something's up with the guy.  I wouldn't expect to be getting much.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

Similar things were said about Randy Moss when the Pats rescued him from the Black Hole.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? : TP, I'm sure Walker is seeking his release but if I were the Raiders I wouldn't just cut him loose because he does have some value. I have a feeling Walker saw Larry Johnson get his walking papers and figures he might be able to pull the same thing. However the Chiefs really didn't want Johnson around the club house and nobody would give up a draft pick for that slug anyway. This isn't the case with Walker. They will hold on to him until the offseason and at least get a draft pick for him.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that the Raiders are payinng him huge money to sit the bench. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? :      Similar things were said about Randy Moss when the Pats rescued him from the Black Hole.

Pats got Moss in the off season, not the middle of the year.

Looks like out 3rd WR is back anyway, Edelman is back practicing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Edelman is a slot receiver...a  good #4 man to spell Wes Welker, and return kicks. Walker is a WR who is, or was, both a deep threat, and a guy who will go over the middle. Even with limited time in the Pats' system, he's light years better than Sam Aiken...and whose presence could cause defenses to loosen up coverage on Randy Moss.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]     Edelman is a slot receiver...a  good #4 man to spell Wes Welker, and return kicks. Walker is a WR who is, or was, both a deep threat, and a guy who will go over the middle. Even with limited time in the Pats' system, he's light years better than Sam Aiken...and whose presence could cause defenses to loosen up coverage on Randy Moss.  

Sorry to tell you that on a passing down 4 or 5 wide, Moss, Welker, and Edleman are the top 3 WR's on the field and the first 3 that Brady will look for....after that it is a toss up.

Walker is not coming here....he is old and has done nothing for years.....he got the money that he wanted and is rotting in football hell because of greed.....
    Aiken is our 4th or 5th WR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? :      Similar things were said about Randy Moss when the Pats rescued him from the Black Hole.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] Tex, Correct except that Moss wqas a proven comodity and had, had numerous productive seasons prior to the Raiders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? : Tex, Correct except that Moss wqas a proven comodity and had, had numerous productive seasons prior to the Raiders.
    Posted by sonieboy[/QUOTE]

Exactly.....Walker is a walking injury report....and he has had 2 good seasons in 9 years...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Javon is no Randy!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? : Javon is no Randy!!!
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

No one is saying that he is. But I am saying that he's a much better option that Sam Aiken. Here are Walker's stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3548

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Only if it's a low-risk / high-reward kind of deal.  If he was signed cheap, then there would be little risk, so it might not hurt to take a flyer on him if the team thinks he can help.

BUT if he's not going to play a big role, than I doubt they'd sacrifice a roster spot on someone who couldn't contribute on special teams.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? :      Keep in mind that the Raiders are payinng him huge money to sit the bench. 

I hear you but they have already paid half of this year and it's worth it to the Raiders to get a draft pick. Although I don't know how Al looks at things after that deal he made for Seymour. If I'm the Raiders I need to get something back though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? : I hear you but they have already paid half of this year and it's worth it to the Raiders to get a draft pick. Although I don't know how Al looks at things after that deal he made for Seymour. If I'm the Raiders I need to get something back though.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

And since the trade deadline is gone, then there won't be any deals this season.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Defense wins championships not 3rd WR's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? : And since the trade deadline is gone, then there won't be any deals this season.....
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

Exactly..So why not hold him and get something in the offseason? It makes the most sense to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

#12 may end up making Aiken some $$ in this league (Jabar Gaffney).  He is an adequate #3.  As this season moves along he will continue to get more touches - over the past three games he has 8 of his 9 catches, and he drew two big PI calls last week v Miami.  Is the second coming - obviously not - but on a team with Moss, Welker, Watson (perhaps having his best season), Faulk, and a few others if Aiken gives NE 3-4 catches a game going forward, I really don't think offense will be an issue.  I sound like the guy's agent...FYI for those that were longing for Greg Lewis he has 4 grabs for 18 yards since his "miraculous" grab back in week 1.  There was a reason he didn't make the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Javon Walker Be The Answer For No. 3 WR? : And since the trade deadline is gone, then there won't be any deals this season.....
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

Wrong. If Walker is released and clears waivers, he'd be a free agent...just like Larry Johnson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] hey texas-how about this guy?he would only cost 3-million next season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2078

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Tex, can you believe all the hypocrites out there. Now, I do not comment often or anything, but I have tried to calm some of the "sky is falling" Pat's fans in recent weeks about the 3rd WR spot. I believe we have one of the strongest receiving corps in the league. I mean, sure Aiken is not great or anything but is an adequate #3. Edelman is a more natural slot receiver to whoever said he was the number three...It depends on what package you are putting on the field. I remember at the start of of the '07 season Welker was called the #3 all year while Stallworth was the #2.

What Tex was trying to get across is not that we need a "3rd WR". He was saying we need another outside receiver. Someone to play opposite Moss. Edelman may be the 3rd but is still an "inside" guy.

Long winded I know, and without really saying anything. So to answer your question, I think Bill would definitely take a look if he were to be released and to clear waivers, even though I think we are pretty good in the passing game already. Anything to help the team win, right?

Sections
Shortcuts