Could TFB poor play be because he lost Tom Martinez?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Could TFB poor play be because he lost Tom Martinez?

I totally understand that he has new receivers, lots of dropped balls and many injuries to deal with however, TFB has not looked the same this year.

Usually you see decisive actions, accurate throws, taking advantage of what the D gives him and this year it just seems off.

Some of course is due to poor execution and changing cast and Oline play. But I wonder, if some of it might be the way TFB prepares, adjusts, feels confident, is focused. It has always been said that TFB is better at all of these things than other QB's but it takes support and system to make all this possible.

Tom Martinez was with Brady since he was a kid. He knew him, he understood him and he knew how to help Tom overcome physical and mental issues that are the difference between excelling, being good, average or below average. Losing him must change things for TFB and maybe this is the difference we are seeing with TFB this year.

All the changes have TFB too much in his head and not on reacting and performing. Losing recievers, losing your mentor, aging, and having players around you that you do not trust 100% lead to poor performance.

Not making an excuse, just wondering if all of this is just too much and if TFB will work through all this and become the TFB of old.

I believe and hope that he does and if he does, he really is the GOAT at QB....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: Could TFB poor play be because he lost Tom Martinez?

Interesting point; as valid as any other explanation for TB's ineptitude.  He hasn't discussed this much at all.

But age is unbeatable, and very few QBs in this league have had good #s this far down the road.  I think we're seeing the beginning of the end with TB...actually, I think it started last season but there was enough talent around him to mask it.  Not so much this season. 

He's missed some wide, wide open guys so far.  Just doesn't seem capable of throwing the deep ball with any accuracy, and he looks like cement in the backfield.  Zero TDs in 2 of the past 3 games now.  Even if Gronk had made that catch in the 4th (maybe to win it), we'd still be having this discussion. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Could be. I just think, like you said, there are many mitigating factors here. Getting older, losing. Martinez, new faces at WR, etc. hard to pin it on one, but combined, they are more than enough to make an immortal look mortal. 

The question is can it be corrected? Can Brady overcome this mentally and get this offense on track? I see it on him as he is the leader and field general of the offense. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

not in of itself, but probably a factor.  Who know how much of a factor though. Look at Tiger Woods and his ex-coach Harmon.  Swing mechanics changed after leaving Harmon.

Brady's throw are off, no question about it - for many of reasons that you've already mentioned

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Maybe...I just cannot get over how they gutted his offense this year and how he kept his mouth shut about it.  Any other QB in this league with his experience would've had the front office keep some consistency.  Brees, Mannings, Rivers, Roth, Rogers, etc.  They all have multiple weapons signed for long term contracts. 

I'm having a hard time buying into the front office mentality these days...the man behind the curtain is being exposed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

The incomplete throw about 25-30 yards down the right sideline to Dobson was a real head scratcher. He had time, Dobson had his man beat and Brady threw the ball 3 yards out of bounds. I don't know what is wrong with brady but right now he is unfortunately one of the issues along on offense with the o-line protection.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Play calling is a big issue.  What happened to making the QB's life easier?  Where are the screen passes, the short dump offs, the check downs to underneath guys, where are the passes to running backs, why in yesterday's game did Michael Huey not get targeted once?  

I see an offense that has no rhythm except on the opening drive of games which indicates to me that unless it's been scripted and practiced all week the offense is having trouble piecing together a drive.  When you can't put together any sequence or right the ship the answer is simple; RUN THE BALL!!!  

Also find ways to get the ball in the play maker's hands without having to throw downfield.  All we do anymore is take long shots in the passing game downfield, the intermediate routes now are supposed to be these deep routes that young receivers like Dobson are supposed to know to cut short and apply the brakes, dumb.  

Lets run some WR screens once in a while, lets use some YAC plays.  This offense is trying to find an identity, but it sure is taking a long time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Brady was always good for a clunker or two a season even when everything was perfect. It is perfectly reasonale to expect him to have more this season factoring in the following...

New and young receiveing group

Injuries to his familiar receiving options

play calling

Being able to do a check in with Martinez after a bad mechanics day

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Play calling is a big issue.  What happened to making the QB's life easier?  Where are the screen passes, the short dump offs, the check downs to underneath guys, where are the passes to running backs, why in yesterday's game did Michael Huey not get targeted once?  

I see an offense that has no rhythm except on the opening drive of games which indicates to me that unless it's been scripted and practiced all week the offense is having trouble piecing together a drive.  When you can put together any sequence or right the ship the answer is simple; RUN THE BALL!!!  

Also find ways to get the ball in the play maker's hands without having to throw downfield.  All we do anymore is take long shots in the passing game downfield, the intermediate routes now are supposed to be these deep routes that young receivers like Dobson are supposed to know to cut short and apply the brakes, dumb.  

Lets run some WR screens once in a while, lets use some YAC plays.  This offense is trying to find an identity, but it sure is taking a long time.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly correct Woz...the Coaches MUST adjust to the game. Slow it down, stop making Brady chuck it everywhere...no need for that. We were averaging ~4.5 yds per carry...keep Ridley in the game as an effective play off to the pass. Hooman proved he can catch...use em. Shorten the field, gets the pressure off the O line, helps Brady and helps the WR.

Forcing a square peg in a round hole never works, play smart football.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's still pouting in the corner over Welker.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see an offense that has no rhythm except on the opening drive of games which indicates to me that unless it's been scripted and practiced all week the offense is having trouble piecing together a drive.  When you can't put together any sequence or right the ship the answer is simple; RUN THE BALL!!!  

[/QUOTE]

have you seen the screen passes this year, I can see why they don't want to throw screen passes anymore.

Sections
Shortcuts