Could the Patriots revisit Jason Taylor?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Could the Patriots revisit Jason Taylor?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2010/01/could_the_patri_1.html

This was a question just posed by Albert Breer in the Globe.

Taylor is 35 years old but he's better than who we have now. He would at least be a temporary fix until a replacement can be groomed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Could the Patriots revisit Jason Taylor?

I hope not.a couple of years ago i would have liked the idea,but at age 35 probably 36 sometime when the season starts?to many better players will be available.I like older players on the team,but 35 or older is pushing it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Seems to me he is a bit young to fit into the Pats plan.  BB only wants draft picks and Junior Seau, anything in between he has no use for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Sure, Taylor could fill a hole now, and a draft pick could take a year or two to develop.  As long as it's not Taylor or a draft pick, it has to be both because the pats need defensive players for the next 6-10 years, not for one or 2 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Yeah, lets get really old and slow at the position. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Draft Draft Draft is how you build a team  - NOT broken down end of career guys!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Im with you CC...time to build this team back up.  Hopefully BB can get some good picks this year.  The draft is very deep with talent and NE has 3 2nd rounders.  Thats gold.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I actually think they will revist J. Taylor.  Not so much a full time full tilt guy but to play him in certain situations - etc.  We'll see, Taylor didn't want to escape the warm weather and family last yr - I'm not sure why he would want to do this now...I do hope of course they get some studs in Draft!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Why is this still topic? The Pats just traded an old OLB to KC. Why get another? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyslady12. Show bradyslady12's posts

dude get a grip!!! OUT WITH THE OLD IN WITH THE NEW...............

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

A guy like that might be able to hold the fort down enough to develop the younger players and maybe teach them a thing or two. I do like the idea. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

"deveop young players" is one of the phrases that gets tossed around when discussing adding vteran free-agents....aren't MOST of the Pat's young LBs into their 3rd or 4th year at this point?  That's a career for many players.

At this point they either have it..Mayo, Guyton and possibly 1 or 2 more....or..they don't.

Jason Taylor had his chance when he left the Redskins...he chose a rebuilding Dolphin's team over the Pat's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Taylor will be a Patriot next year....bet on it.

We lost too much veteran leadership in the locker room this year, main reason we lost the close games.  Taylor still has something to prove and he will be a good leader.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Depends on what we do with AD, free agency and the draft. If AD walks or is traded, I would say yes, bring Jason Taylor in for 1-2 years if possible just to surround the younger guys with leadership and also groom the younger guys. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If he is cheap which he will be, I say yes.  What is one of the major problem with the team?  Veteran leadership and toughness, this guy has both.  Teach the young guys how to be football players.  He will be the guy getting everyone fired up before the game and during.
    He's 36 but can still play, maybe not an everydown OLB but we are drafting some young guys and maybe Crable can stay healthy this year.  With the lack of depth at OLB I'm on board to bring him not only for 2010 but for 2 years.

Admit this guy as described on the article is a freak, he can still play.  Again maybe not as many snaps as he used to but I think he's biggest asset to the team will be work ethic, preparation, leadership and toughness.  If we can get 5 to 7 sacks from him that's great, he is also above average in dropping back into coverage so that's also a plus.

2 year contract with the majority been structured on a performance based.  To me is a win win, he can take ADs roster spot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Sure they could. Um..what are revisiting hours at the Don Shula Home For Over The Hill Footballers?

Seriously though, 7393 is right, the Pats really missed the leadership that Bruschi-Vrabel-Harrison brought to the team. If we could get one or two years out of him, it could really help to focus the younger players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

How did Morris and Taylor work out for ya??? Both missed significant time due to injury. Why take these past prime players who are just going to end up on IR....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 1/18/2007
    Last: 1/28/2010
    How did Morris and Taylor work out for ya??? Both missed significant time due to injury. Why take these past prime players who are just going to end up on IR....
    "Cancel those reservations!" Willie McGinest, Heinz field  Jan 27,2002 
     When did Morris and Taylor play Defense?  You do know that RB was one of the deepest positions on the Pats and they could afford to bring them bask slowly from injury....right?

FYI JT can still play....

I bet that you were ticked off that Vrable was traded....right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 8/24/2009
    Last: 1/27/2010
    Why is this still topic? The Pats just traded an old OLB to KC. Why get another? 

That old OLB that was traded was overpaid......the new one we get will be better and cheaper.....Duh...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 6/4/2008
    Last: 1/28/2010

Seriously though, 7393 is right, the Pats really missed the leadership that Bruschi-Vrabel-Harrison brought to the team. If we could get one or two years out of him, it could really help to focus the younger players.

Am I chopped liver?  I said it before he did......don't forget to add Seymour....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I make the point again, he will be cheaper he's a proven leader, has still gas left in the tank and again a proven leader.

Farve played all 16 games this year, look around the league and how many guys missed more than 1 game that are half his age.  I know Taylor's position is different but if the man can still play why not.

we need OLB help, Taylor check, we need leadership, Taylor check, we need to get tougher, Taylor check, don't want to pay too much, Taylor check, want guys who want to win over anything else, Taylor check, guys who buy into and respect the coach, Taylor check

What is the negative about bringing him in for 1yr with an option for a 2nd?  If he not a better option than keeping AD?

To quote Ochocinco, "CHILD PLEASE"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

If Taylor had wanted to leave the Miami area he would have done so last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Only if Taylor doesn't keep a promising young player off the field.  The key words being "promising young player".  If he keeps Woods or someone like him off the field then that is great.  I was all for the youth movement.  I still am.

The leadership issue is not to be underrated though.  I think 99% of the posters on this board can say we greatly underestimated just how big a factor "good" veteran leadership is on a team. Question is, is Taylor just a very good veteran player or is he is guy that will exert a strong influence on his peers on the field and in the locker room?  Will he rip the head off of someone who isn't doing his job?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

SPLITTOTSOLOASTSACKSTFSTFYFFBKINTYDSAVGLNGTDPD
    Taylor's numbers

SPLITTOTSOLOASTSACKSTFSTFYFFBKINTYDSAVGLNGTDPD
    Tully's numbers who was our best pass rusher.

Not a lot of difference there, Taylor can still play.

Sections
Shortcuts