Could Watson Be The Odd Man Out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Could Watson Be The Odd Man Out?

The Patriots appear to have 4 capable TEs. But, only three will likely make the team. They need to acquire a 5th round pick in next years' draft to complete compensation for Derrick Burgess. Otherwise, they'll have to part with their 4th rounder, as well as their 3rd.

Eagles rookie TE Cornelius Ingram suffered a season ending injury in practice recently, leaving Philly a bit thin at TE. Might the Pats offer Ben Watson, whose due a fairly good chunk of money this year...and is in the final year of his rookie deal...to Philly, perhaps for their 5th rounder this year?: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats_jo_11_08-11-09_RKFBV3T_v1.37cc30b.html

Would a 5th rounder be ample compensation for the talented, but  underachieving TE? Thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Re: Could Watson Be The Odd Man Out?

Maybe the Pats could sucker a team into a 4th round pick but don't see anyone going higher than that. As you said Watson has underachieved for to long, he's often injured and can't block worth a hoot. if I were the Pats I would look for other trading partners other than Philly, Philly is good this year so their 5th rounder will be low...hey maybe Uncle Al will give us a 2nd or maybe even a 1st rounder for him you never know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Reiss thinks that BB will keep 4 TE's, partly because there is no fullback on the roster. Baker is a better blocker, Smith a better receiver, and Thomas is having a good camp....but we don't have a third, fourth, and fifth round pick next year. I dunno...the answers to a lot of our questions will be coming in the next three weeks..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSNYFAN. Show PATSNYFAN's posts

I HAVE SEEN ENOUGH "SOFT" FUMBLES FROM THIS GUY OVER THE YEARS TO NOT LOSE SLEEP OVER HIS ELIMINATION. I WOULS RATHER SIGN HOLIDAY AND CHASE QB'S WITH FRESH LEGS. PLENTY OF OTHER OPTIONS ON OFFENSE....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Watson has definitely underachieved and I just don't think  his hands are that great.  He's athletic.  That's all.  I'd still like to see David Thomas make the team.  I know he  went in the dog house last year after that bonehead penalty in the Indy game but that was something he can learn from.  Although that was a dumb penalty he dosen't strike me as being dumb.  He has great hands and it's been said that his blocking has improved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Could Watson Be The Odd Man Out?:
    [QUOTE]Maybe the Pats could sucker a team into a 4th round pick but don't see anyone going higher than that. As you said Watson has underachieved for to long, he's often injured and can't block worth a hoot. if I were the Pats I would look for other trading partners other than Philly, Philly is good this year so their 5th rounder will be low...hey maybe Uncle Al will give us a 2nd or maybe even a 1st rounder for him you never know.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

Harley:

Whether its' a late fifth rounder or an early 5th rounder matters not. Any 5th rounder the Pats acquire can be used to satisfy compensation on the Burgess trade...and get the Pats off the hook on surrendering their 4th rounder, as well as their 3rd.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

I’m not ready to give up on BW as some might be. I think he will have a breakout season for a couple of reasons 1) Brady’s back 2) final year of current contract and 3) a lot of competition at the TE position which will hopefully motivate Ben to perform at a high level this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

I wouldn't loose any sleep if Watson was traded.Love too see Thomas get a real chance this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Depending on how well the FAs do, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben be on the short side of making the roster. The fact that his contract is coming due, plus his lack of progress seems like enough reason to me. As far as those who claim he will have a "breakout" year this season, well, we've heard that too many times before.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I would say a 5th rd pick is not enough.especially when watson will be the starter.when brady is playing, watsons numbers are not bad.not to mention brady spreads the ball around quite a bit.so there wont be any te,s on the pats roster that will have big numbers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

I’m sure Ben Watson will be on this team longer than Lawrence Maroney. Both need a breakout season and based on the competition at both positions BW is likely to produce better numbers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Watson Be The Odd Man Out? :      Harley:      Whether its' a late fifth rounder or an early 5th rounder matters not. Any 5th rounder the Pats acquire can be used to satisfy compensation on the Burgess trade...and get the Pats off the hook on surrendering their 4th rounder, as well as their 3rd.      
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

OK I get it I'm little slow today, yea if they can dump him for a 5th to save a 3rd and 4th do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I think Watson will make the squad.  The Pats need depth at this position as we have seen in the past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If Watson becomes an Eagle mark my words he will re create himself in that offense and become one of teh better TE's in football. I think the reason Watson has never lived up to his draft pick was 1 injury and 2 our system. We dont pass it to TEs very much. Watson has teh right skill set for the Eagles offense and he would be a very good fit on that team. I hope they dont trade him to the Eagles. Send him to the Lions if you must but not a contender.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could Watson Be The Odd Man Out? : OK I get it I'm little slow today, yea if they can dump him for a 5th to save a 3rd and 4th do it.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

Harley...it won't save the 3rd rounder, just the 4th rounder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Could Watson Be The Odd Man Out?:
    [QUOTE]     The Patriots appear to have 4 capable TEs. But, only three will likely make the team. They need to acquire a 5th round pick in next years' draft to complete compensation for Derrick Burgess. Otherwise, they'll have to part with their 4th rounder, as well as their 3rd.      Eagles rookie TE Cornelius Ingram suffered a season ending injury in practice recently, leaving Philly a bit thin at TE. Might the Pats offer Ben Watson, whose due a fairly good chunk of money this year...and is in the final year of his rookie deal...to Philly, perhaps for their 5th rounder this year?: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats_jo_11_08-11-09_RKFBV3T_v1.37cc30b.html      Would a 5th rounder be ample compensation for the talented, but  underachieving TE? Thoughts? 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]They already have a market for him in 3 teams:KC,Denver and Philly I would suggest they can get a 3rd pick maybe a 2nd
    for him...Also they will keep 4 TE's simply because they are working on the H-Back package and one of the tight ends will be the H-Back,right now it has been suggested that Thomas will get the job if he can manage to keep from breaking a FINGERNAIL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[QUOTE]     The Patriots appear to have 4 capable TEs. But, only three will likely make the team. They need to acquire a 5th round pick in next years' draft to complete compensation for Derrick Burgess. Otherwise, they'll have to part with their 4th rounder, as well as their 3rd.      Eagles rookie TE Cornelius Ingram suffered a season ending injury in practice recently, leaving Philly a bit thin at TE. Might the Pats offer Ben Watson, whose due a fairly good chunk of money this year...and is in the final year of his rookie deal...to Philly, perhaps for their 5th rounder this year?: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats_jo_11_08-11-09_RKFBV3T_v1.37cc30b.html      Would a 5th rounder be ample compensation for the talented, but  underachieving TE? Thoughts? 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

His career highlight was chasing down Champ Bailey in Denver. He's been a massive under achiever. He's no Ben Coates.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

"As you said Watson has underachieved for to long, he's often injured and can't block worth a hoot"

actualy, harley, ben has become quite a good blocker, to the point where i'vew heard BB quote that it's become perhaps his best quality as a tight end.  no way he gets cut or traded.  too much knowledge of the system and still ahs dangerous speed.  granted has certainly underachieved expectations, but that doesn't make him a liability.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]"As you said Watson has underachieved for to long, he's often injured and can't block worth a hoot" actualy, harley, ben has become quite a good blocker, to the point where i'vew heard BB quote that it's become perhaps his best quality as a tight end.  no way he gets cut or traded.  too much knowledge of the system and still ahs dangerous speed.  granted has certainly underachieved expectations, but that doesn't make him a liability.
    Posted by beastplant[/QUOTE]He would also garner the highest draft choice/choices...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]Philly has lost 2 TE's already!Celak and Ingram..The old TE situation and the extra OL group might net the Patriots some juicy draft picks if BB plays it right!If they can trade these guys it'll keep the player grabbing teams like the Browns,Chiefs and Broncos from snagging all the top excess players from New England....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

[QUOTE]"As you said Watson has underachieved for to long, he's often injured and can't block worth a hoot" actualy, harley, ben has become quite a good blocker, to the point where i'vew heard BB quote that it's become perhaps his best quality as a tight end.  no way he gets cut or traded.  too much knowledge of the system and still ahs dangerous speed.  granted has certainly underachieved expectations, but that doesn't make him a liability.
    Posted by beastplant[/QUOTE]
     awww Bill apology accepted my friend.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree Watson is a better blocker then he gets credit for. He drops too many passes and has fumbled some bad ones but he still has insane speed for a TE and he can block and he knows teh system. I dont see him being traded. Plus as I have said in teh past I think on any other team he is a pro bowler. If Watson was in San Diago he would be a pro bowler we just dont throw to the TE as much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

He is a matchup problem for opposing defenses.  Too fast for a LB and too big for a DB, just needs to hold on to the ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Why would you trade Watson? For a fifth to give to Oakland? No. Keep him, he goes elsewhere in FA and get a comp. If you are going to trade anyone, trade Thomas for a 7th.

Sections
Shortcuts