could we see the steelers take a slide this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

could we see the steelers take a slide this year?

with big ben dealing with his civil suits,you would think it could take away some concentration,plus there is talks that he isnt well liked in the locker room either.

http://profootballweekly.com/2009/08/08/roethlisberger-not-popular-with-teammates

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: could we see the steelers take a slide this year?

I don't know that the effectivenss of Roethlisberger will have very much to do with Pittsburgh's success or potential failure this year. They look tough on paper and the schedule is nothing to get wet over. We've seen Bitchburgh win a Super Bowl essentially without Roethlisberger (and with a healthy dose of "Here ya' go boys" from the officials) and we've seen it win one with Roethlisbeger performing adequately. The Steelers kill you with defense and tend to stumble over points despite themselves. I have no doubt that this is the team the Pats are ultimately going to have to squash to get to the Super Bowl, no matter what Roethlisberger does or doesn't do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have a sense that Roethlisberger is going to handily win the forced/unforced sex suit, and that it won't interfere with his adequate passing and strong running. 

In any case Pitts gets a relatively easy schedule this year, based on last year's win-loss records at least.

New England doesn't face these guys until the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

Steelers are lucky Brady was hurt last year.  They would have had a problem if Brady, instead of Cassel, was taking the snaps. As far as I am concerned, last year did not showcase the best team. It showcased a great defensive team, which Brady would have shredded if he was taking the snaps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to could we see the steelers take a slide this year?:
    [QUOTE]with big ben dealing with his civil suits,you would think it could take away some concentration,plus there is talks that he isnt well liked in the locker room either. http://profootballweekly.com/2009/08/08/roethlisberger-not-popular-with-teammates
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]
    That doesn't surprise me at all. He's always struck me as the type of big doofus  who stayed back so many times that he's eventually two feet taller than anyone  in his class. He's already proved his ignorance once, nearly getting himself killed on a bike while not wearing a helmet, the ultimate act of stupidity and immaturity.
    Once again however, we see that the steelers are among the certain priviliged classes of NFL teams, along with the colts, cowboys and dolphins, who seem to be immune from press criticism of any type.

The man's been accused of rape and he's pretty much gotten a pass on it bvy the press. yes, he's innocent until proven otherwise but that never stops the press when they get into  a feeding frenzy, e.g. Kobe Bryant.

Imagine if Brady had such an accusation filed against him? The coverage would have been 24/7 for weeks.

BTW Ben, you're allegedly a grown man. Think maybe its time to stop wearing the baseball hat backwards, like a white-trash 17 year old high school dropout?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

In Response to Re: could we see the steelers take a slide this year?:
    [QUOTE]Steelers are lucky Brady was hurt last year.  They would have had a problem if Brady, instead of Cassel, was taking the snaps. As far as I am concerned, last year did not showcase the best team. It showcased a great defensive team, which Brady would have shredded if he was taking the snaps.
    Posted by bmartins16[/QUOTE]

Shredded?  I guess the same way he shredded the Giants in the Super Bowl.  I think it was Burress who said the Patriot offensive machine wouldn't score more then 17 points.  I guess Burress was being generous since Brady only shredded the Giants for 14.  Now that their is some competition in the AFC Least the Patriots won't be handed 6 wins, I mean bye weeks a year.  Time for them to strap it on for 16 weeks like everyone else in the league.  No more gimmies.     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This from a guy who (sometimes) defends a team that lives in a division with the Cincy Bungles and Cleveland.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could we see the steelers take a slide this year? : Shredded?  I guess the same way he shredded the Giants in the Super Bowl.  I think it was Burress who said the Patriot offensive machine wouldn't score more then 17 points.  I guess Burress was being generous since Brady only shredded the Giants for 14.  Now that their is some competition in the AFC Least the Patriots won't be handed 6 wins, I mean bye weeks a year.  Time for them to strap it on for 16 weeks like everyone else in the league.  No more gimmies.     
    Posted by 19andNo[/QUOTE]

That game was a fluke. David Tyree's Lucky catch. I remember a Brady-led offense that torched the Steelers in 07 after the back-up safety popped off at the mouth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

I suppose 19andNo is going to say Eli Manning , or Ben Rapethisberger is a better qb now than Brady.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could we see the steelers take a slide this year? : Shredded?  I guess the same way he shredded the Giants in the Super Bowl.  I think it was Burress who said the Patriot offensive machine wouldn't score more then 17 points.  I guess Burress was being generous since Brady only shredded the Giants for 14.  Now that their is some competition in the AFC Least the Patriots won't be handed 6 wins, I mean bye weeks a year.  Time for them to strap it on for 16 weeks like everyone else in the league.  No more gimmies.     
    Posted by 19andNo[/QUOTE]
    bugger off, troll. You're ignorant and irrelevant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

i was on a plane with big ben in late april heading to west palm beach florida.... the lady sitting next to me on the plane was on the phone before we took off saying "yeah its him its him" to someone... the lady was easily in her mid 40's but very nice looking

later at baggage claim ben was ruthlessly flirting with this woman... to the point where i thought it was pathetic... telling her he has a car here and he will take her anywhere and blah blah blah

needless to say.... i wasnt shocked when he is now dealing with the suit

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know that the effectivenss of Roethlisberger will have very much to do with Pittsburgh's success or potential failure this year. They look tough on paper and the schedule is nothing to get wet over. We've seen Bitchburgh win a Super Bowl essentially without Roethlisberger (and with a healthy dose of "Here ya' go boys" from the officials) and we've seen it win one with Roethlisbeger performing adequately. The Steelers kill you with defense and tend to stumble over points despite themselves. I have no doubt that this is the team the Pats are ultimately going to have to squash to get to the Super Bowl, no matter what Roethlisberger does or doesn't do.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

OH NO YOU DI'INT (with finger wave and attitude)

I pegged you for better than an ref blamer. 

Just another that I have to remove from the pedestal.  Sigh.  Population's getting thin up there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could we see the steelers take a slide this year? : That game was a fluke. David Tyree's Lucky catch. I remember a Brady-led offense that torched the Steelers in 07 after the back-up safety popped off at the mouth.
    Posted by bmartins16[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, Harrison had every opportunity to ensure that said lucky catch did not become such, and could not.  Given a defender in such close proximity and the ball remained caught, I think it is incorrect to call it luck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The Steelers did indeed take a slide after the win in SB40. But I don't think it was merely because of Ben's crash. The whole team was kind of "resting on their laurels" so to speak. All those loudmouths (led by Porter) who had talked so much smack finally went all the way and got complacent. Cowher was probably relieved he'd finally won one (plus I don't doubt his retirement plans were already set), and was the same. But this season just about the whole team is back. Porter and his mouth are no longer there. I also think Tomlin has the discipline not to let them slack off. Barring a rash of injuries I expect the Steelers to make a serious run at repeating. Their big stumbling block (IMO) is going to be the Patriots. While Roethlisburger didn't exactly light the league up last season, he did seem to get it done in the 4th quarter when they needed a score. Their defense also was able to stand firm late in games, much like the 03 and 04 Patriots. They had a lot of close games, but they won those games. I can see the Colts and Ravens taking a step back this season, but not the Steelers. In the end I believe NE and Pittsburgh will have to go head to head to make it to Miami in February!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Posted by 19andNo[/QUOTE] what a homer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from philbert. Show philbert's posts

Ordinarily, you would expect a letdown, due to lack of focus on the SB champ and the desire of others to beat last year's SB champ. Then you look at the schedule and,  other than a split with the Ravens and a possible upset by Ten when they play the season opener at Pittsburgh, there's not a team they should not beat. The furthest west they go is Denver and they have no early season games in the South. Let's hope they get distracted.

Otherwise,  our guys will be forced to win still another AFC title game at Heinz field to get back to the Super Bowl.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]with big ben dealing with his civil suits,you would think it could take away some concentration,plus there is talks that he isnt well liked in the locker room either. http://profootballweekly.com/2009/08/08/roethlisberger-not-popular-with-teammates

The Steelers lucked out last year. San Diego beat the Colts, giving the Steelers an easy first playoff game. Then the Ravens lucked out against Tennessee, so Pittsburgh stayed home against a rookie QB. Then a 9-7 team slips through in the NFC, with the Giants losing and the Cards getting home field in the NFC Championship, with a 9-7 record. The Steelers never had to play the top opponent in an easy playoff ride. Will they "slide" this year? Of course.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

THe steelers had the worst OL of a contender if not all of football, and they did nothing to inprove it, so they will slide I bet

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they lose week 1 to the Titans. I can see Tennessee being up for this game since they were the best team in the NFL last regular season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

I am sorry, it is late and I cannot take it anymore. The truth is: Pittsburgh blows. They are going nowhere this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Well, if they don't win the Super Bowl it is a slide. So yes. They still should be 11-5, 12-4.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]The Steelers did indeed take a slide after the win in SB40. But I don't think it was merely because of Ben's crash. The whole team was kind of "resting on their laurels" so to speak. All those loudmouths (led by Porter) who had talked so much smack finally went all the way and got complacent. Cowher was probably relieved he'd finally won one (plus I don't doubt his retirement plans were already set), and was the same. But this season just about the whole team is back. Porter and his mouth are no longer there. I also think Tomlin has the discipline not to let them slack off. Barring a rash of injuries I expect the Steelers to make a serious run at repeating. Their big stumbling block (IMO) is going to be the Patriots. While Roethlisburger didn't exactly light the league up last season, he did seem to get it done in the 4th quarter when they needed a score. Their defense also was able to stand firm late in games, much like the 03 and 04 Patriots. They had a lot of close games, but they won those games. I can see the Colts and Ravens taking a step back this season, but not the Steelers. In the end I believe NE and Pittsburgh will have to go head to head to make it to Miami in February!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

bubthegrub2, you are right on in your take of the Steelers. They did rest on their laurels when they won  Superbowl 40. It's been reported that training camp was like a vacation for the starters. They thought they could loaf thru camp and the pre-season and just 'turn it on' when the season started. Even though I'm a Steeler fan, I knew they weren't good enough to do that. Especially  after winning one of the most 'boring' Superbowls in history. I think Tomlin will have the team more focused, but I also agree with many of the posts who say Tom Brady will 'pick the Steeler defense apart'. The only way teams, including the Steelers will be able to compete with New England is to keep Tom Brady off the field as much as possible. Unfortunately, the Steelers offensive lie was the probably the worst in the league last year at protecting the QB, and the Steelers running-game has really dipped the past few years. The Steelers rely on their linebackers to get most of their sacks, unlike The Giants who were able to get to Brady with their defensive line. It may have worked against Cassell's last year, but Brady would have gotten rid of the ball alot sooner than Cassells. That being said, I'm still glad to see that Tom Brady has recovered and he's back on the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The Steelers still have a very good defense despite the losses of Mc FADDEN and Foote. I don't see the Steelers sliding so much as I see the contending AFC Teams around them improving (Titans, Ravens, Pats). The situation is similar to after Colts SB in that everyone in their division started to make strides and show improvements. Ben only needs to make the occasional big play; it will be the defense and the success of the run that keeps the Steelers in games. After the losses on the O Line over the last two years , I would be concerned about that area. Still first against the run and 2nd against the pass is an awesome achievment and difficult to duplicate. A 10-6 11-5 record is reasonable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Thanks for the post. This team's O-line is suspect and that's really their only vulnerability. If the upgrade there then they have to be a SB favorite again. That said some Kemu Von Olhavin or whatever his name was could play Cobra-Kai and sweep Ben's leg. If the O-line is as crappy as last year guys will certainly have their chances to hurt him. I'm not endorsing that but lets face it based on the last several years guys love hurting quarterbacks and he's not very well protected.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: could we see the steelers take a slide this year? : bubthegrub2, you are right on in your take of the Steelers. They did rest on their laurels when they won  Superbowl 40. It's been reported that training camp was like a vacation for the starters. They thought they could loaf thru camp and the pre-season and just 'turn it on' when the season started. Even though I'm a Steeler fan, I knew they weren't good enough to do that. Especially  after winning one of the most 'boring' Superbowls in history. I think Tomlin will have the team more focused, but I also agree with many of the posts who say Tom Brady will 'pick the Steeler defense apart'. The only way teams, including the Steelers will be able to compete with New England is to keep Tom Brady off the field as much as possible. Unfortunately, the Steelers offensive lie was the probably the worst in the league last year at protecting the QB, and the Steelers running-game has really dipped the past few years. The Steelers rely on their linebackers to get most of their sacks, unlike The Giants who were able to get to Brady with their defensive line. It may have worked against Cassell's last year, but Brady would have gotten rid of the ball alot sooner than Cassells. That being said, I'm still glad to see that Tom Brady has recovered and he's back on the field.
    Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]

What is the deal with Mendenhall? Is he going to be able to become an elite runner for them or not?