Could Welker be getting eased back due to concussion?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Could Welker be getting eased back due to concussion?

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/page/reissmailbagweek0911/new-england-patriots-mailbag-keeping-perspective-wes-welker

"I'd put the Welker situation in the "something to monitor" category in the coming weeks. I think it's too early to make any definitive judgments, but I did find it notable that his playing time was reduced compared with what we saw on a consistent basis in 2011.

Something isn't adding up here, and, if I had to make an educated guess, it is tied to what kept him out of practice in Tampa on Thursday, Aug. 23. Welker made the trip to Tampa and was suited up for a full-pads practice Aug. 22, and I think something happened that day.

Other reports have noted that a personal issue Welker was dealing with (a death in the family) kept him out of preseason action, and that might have been the case for the Eagles game, but I think that was separate from what went down in Tampa (my educated guess is a concussion). My sense is that the Patriots were easing Welker back into the mix Sunday based on whatever went down in Tampa and how it affected Welker's preparation to assume a full-time load in the opener."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Could Welker be getting eased back due to concussion?

Could be.

Any possibility they are keeping him healthy because they are trying to trade him?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

It could also be that the offense is becoming less dependent on Brady to Welker. And that's a good thing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

It is definitally a good thing for the offense to be less dependent on Welker.  However, all the talk about "phasing him out"  is silly.  NE isn't going to pay a guy $9.5 mil to vastly minimize him.  I do think that they were easing him back from some type of injury or concussion last week.  He will get going.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Could be.

Any possibility they are keeping him healthy because they are trying to trade him?

None at all.  Nobody is going to trade for WW this season.  The Patriots can do a long term deal with WW until Febbruary 2013, nor can any other team until then.  So who would want to pay him $9 Million without a contract extension beyond this season.

Wait!!  Wait!!  Stop the presses!!  Denver or SF?  NOW that would be interesting.  WW to one of those teams?  Hmm!  I'm pretty sure they could convince WW to a long term deal after this season.  WW would be huge for one of those two teams.   The Patriots better be careful here, losing WW this season would be horrible.  We could kiss the SB goodbye!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I really think it's just a matter of the team having another capable wideout to throw to and a emphasis to run the ball behind a line that will struggle in pass protection for a while. It was one game...I'm sure he'll get his chances. Truthfully the ball went to him too much anyways. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He can't be relied on too make a big catch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

He can't be relied on too make a big catch.

[/QUOTE]

Why because he couldn't hold on to a difficult throw in the Super bowl?

By your estimation no player for our team has been able to make a big catch since David Givens and the younger version of Branch in the 04 SB.

Maybe you should lower your bar a bit buddy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Wes Welker last year,

Week 6 - 6 rec 45 yds

Week 8 - 6 rec 39 yds

Week 10 - 6 rec 46 yds

Week 11 - 2 rec 22 yds

Week 15 - 4 rec 41 yds

Just because he didn't have his usual monster game, there is no cause for alarm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I think its going to change week to week. The Patriots have so many options that they will be able to pick which one the defense will give them. They are a better team not having to depend on welker for 10 plus receptions per game and I don't think that him leaving would keep the Patriots from winning the Super Bowl either. 

Sections
Shortcuts