1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Re: Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

the colts = pu**ygate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

underdogggs dcik looks like a slug.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Fowler coming with the quality posts...thanks for representin' dawg.

The Colts made a pathetically bad decision regardless of whether or not they would have made history...it's called momentum. The Colts had it and now they don't. They are left with a disgruntled team of players who resent the management/head coach for taking away a gimme at an undefeated season, a rightfully disappointed and enraged fan base that would've bought all the 'Undefeated' merchandise in the world and last but not a least a team that will have collected dust by the time they play another meaningful snap despite already having locked up a bye week.

Now they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they win it, it'll be 'Damn we could've gone 19-0 had we not thrown away the Jets game!' , and the if not is obvious.

There is no end to the tragedy of this decision...wow, never thought i'd even consider feeling bad for peyton manning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notatroll. Show Notatroll's posts

ush ...great post.I agree the Colts are in a no win situation now.I didn't think they'd go 19-0 but I certainly didn't expect them to roll over and play dead.It was disgraceful.Even if they win the Super Bowl,there will be no happy ending for the Colts.

To quote the poet John Greenleaf Whittier:

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    The saddest are these: "It might have been!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

bostate -  if you don't want to put "fix" and "conspiracy" into a relatable word catagory.  That's your choice.  A wrong one, but your choice.  Both words indicate a conscious and intentional effort to subversively alter outcomes.  Regardless of the word, your message is the same.  You believe there is an intentional effort being made for the benefit of the colts. 

But here's where I don't get you.  You say the fix is in, but different refs in different games are making the exact same incorrect call (in your opinion) without any communication outside of the game or through the league.  Talk about needing an investigation.  Let's start there. 

Maybe, in the offseason polian got hold of a potion that would make these refs independently and unwittingly make PI calls in favor of the colts.  I know that witch in Snow White could whip up some wicked potions.  Bill probably got all the refs together to toast the new season and laced all of their drinks with the stuff.  Not really sure otherwise how all these refs could consciously make the same wrong (your opinion) calls without discussing amongst each other or through league mandate.  

I am curious how you think this non conspiracy fix occurred.  

As for other fans discussing, I understand why.  When I turned on the NFL network or espn or the radio, or the internet, the media was talking about the 4th & 2 call.  The following week there was a question about the pi call against Houston.  Nothing since, but when your team is winning, everyone wants to knock you down a notch.  As a pats fan you should know this. 

As for the attacks, I punch back.  You want to punch without a fight.  I don't play that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The beat goes on in Indy over "wimpgate"...as criticism from irate Colts fans cause an angry, arrogant Bill Polian to pull the plug 10 minutes early on his radio show: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/28/plug-gets-pulled-early-on-polians-weekly-radio-show/

Be sure to  browse through the comments, some of which are priceless...LOL!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsox43. Show patsox43's posts

I thought that Howard Bryant of SI.com had a great take in that, Caldwell's decision is out of the norm for the season. There were many times this season that the Colt's were ahead by a great deal of points and still Peyton played the entire game. He could as easily been hurt at anytime during the season with games well in the bag but continued to play. Interesting...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

this decision is an embarrassment to the Colts and the entire NFL. 19-0 is not important?........how could they do this to their fan base? Horrendous decision...bad precedent to be setting...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It appears that the decision to pull Peyton, and Bill Polian's angry, arrogant reaction to fan criticism, may have created an irreconcilable breach between him and the Colts' fan base. Heres' more on Polian cutting short his radio show: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/12/28/1222925/bill-polian-called-out-by-colts

LOL!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joymar. Show Joymar's posts

So what if Manning "defied" his coaches and played anyway (how exactly do you do that anyway)?  What if Manning forced his way into the line-up and got hurt?  How did playing and ultimately achieving an undefeated season work out for the Patriots?  Yeah, Brady was hurting going into the Superbowl which they lost.  Would you rather lose in week 16 or in the Super Bowl?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I still think the reason they sat Manning has more to do with trying to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs than anything else.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

TP - If the colts lose their first playoff game, that may be correct.  If they win, the colts will immediately be able to claim it was the correct decision, but for many of the fans (imo) it will not be enough. 

If the colts win their second game, which indicates a superbowl entry, all fans will be back on board.  

If the colts lose in the SB, fans will all be back on board.  If the colts win the superbowl all fans will be back on board, but the national question will always remain.  The only effective response to the question (but not the only correct answer) will be "the pats tried and failed".  The colts intent was never an undefeated season but a superbowl championship.  That was earned and the objective was attained.  Sometimes you have to make sacrifices and lose a couple of battles to win the war. 

Not saying this is correct, but I expect this will be what happens given the success and/or failure of the colts in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

evil - not sure that I would agree, but that would be their prerogative.  According to Mighty, the Pats did the same thing in 05.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Would you rather lose in week 16 or in the Super Bowl?

You can do both and losing in week 16 doesn't mean you'll win the Super Bowl.  If you're suggesting no team can go undefeated than you're wrong because the 72 Dolphins did it.  The Giants played all the way through thier meaningless game also and won the SB.  The Colts rested players again and were out again.  People will always wonder who can pull off 19-0, and somebody will do it.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg...you said the following: 

"...If the colts lose in the SB, fans will all be back on board.  If the colts win the superbowl all fans will be back on board, but the national question will always remain.  The only effective response to the question (but not the only correct answer) will be "the pats tried and failed".  The colts intent was never an undefeated season but a superbowl championship.  That was earned and the objective was attained.  Sometimes you have to make sacrifices and lose a couple of battles to win the war.

RESPONSE: The "sacrifices" were unnecessary. The decision not to go for the perfect season was cowardly...and is a PR disaster. Indy players and fans were deprived of an opportunity to see their team achieve football  immortality.  Plus, Polian's arrogant dismissal of the opinions of the great majority of Colts' fans is making this even worse. 

Not saying this is correct, but I expect this will be what happens given the success and/or failure of the colts in the playoffs

RESPONSE:  Though arguments can be advanced to justify this decision, it was clearly gutless. In my view, the Colts will not win the SB. Scared money never wins. But, even if they do, the win will be tarnished by the gnawing thought that the 2009 Colts could have been discussed for years to come as one of the greatest NFL teams of all-time...but for management. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Evil:

You stated that "I still think the reason they sat Manning has more to do with trying to keep the Steelers out of the playoffs than anything else."

Do you realize that, in order for the Steelers to have a legitimate shot at a wild card, the Patriots must beat Houston? 

Here are the play-off scenarios:  http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3058_Week_17_playoff_scenarios.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Underdogg, you and your pathetic excuse for a football team (the colts) should get out of football. This is a league for teams now afraid to lose.

The colts did something that will haunt them for years

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Hard to believe that the Colt fans hate Polian more than we do!!  LOL!  This whole fiasco has wiped away the sour memories of the last two years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

The Colts organization is run by a bunch of gutless cowards!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

encinitas - this is what "themightypatriotz" said on another thread that was actually started by you.

Can't believe this whining.  They clinched home field and rested their starters.  How awful.  We did the same thing in 2005 - it was pretty obvious we ordered Cassel to throw the ball out of the endzone so we wouldn't play overtime or face the Steelers. 

That means the game was not meaningless and playoff implications were involved and the pats chose to INTENTIONALLY throw a game, not based on players playing their best which is what the colts players did, but by actually NOT TRYING so that they could change their playoff destiny. 

Not only did belichick rest his starters in a meaningful game, he intentionally threw the game based on Mighty's comments.  Seems to me that you possess a PERSONAL PATSCOLORED definition cowardice which should more aptly apply to your team.  At least the colts players tried.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

TP - Feel free to believe what you want, but the colts are not your team, nor mine, so neither you nor I have a basis for defining for them what sacrifices are or are not necessary.  

What I do find interesting, however, is that 95%-100% of the regulars on this board say only one thing matters - Superbowl victories.  That's it.  That's all it has been.  Now all of a sudden, the team that has kicked your team's a*s 5 of the last 6 games has chosen to pull starters (not throw a game - like the pats did) for the hopeful benefit of improving their chances for that superbowl victory, and all of a sudden, ON THIS BOARD, a superbowl victory (if the colts are good enough and fortunate enough to win) no longer matters.  Something else matters - an undefeated season.  How pathetically and laughably convenient. 

You may attempt to stain any earned victory the colts achieve but where you and pats fans who do the same are concerned, the colts possess a teflon armor. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I can't say with any degree of certainty how I would have reacted if the Pats had laid down at some point during the 2007 campaign and simply gave up on the idea of running the table. Circumstances were different then, to be sure. The league had made an example of the Pats for a paltry and common infraction in order to make a point about Goodell's omnipotence, and I think it's fair to say that Belichick and the Pats were trying to make a point of their own, and damn near did it. The undefeated season took on a life of its own and, while the goal was always to win the Super Bowl, when doing so with an unblemished record became a distinct possibility, the team's focus became broader, and that enlarged focus contributed to their falling short.

This year's Colts team had no such chip on its shoulder and has had a history of "playing out the string" late in the season (to go along with its history of generally underacheiving in the playoffs). It's worth noting -- and I'm sure it's been mentioned ad nauseum -- that the year the Colts finally broke through and stumbled over the Lombardi despite themselves, was a season in which the team actually played meaningful games all the way to the end. I can't really speak for Colts fan, and I'm not particularly interested in visiting places that would enlighten me as to how Colts fan thinks and feels about this. I see underdogg(g) in here defending his boys and part of me wants to applaud that. But as a fan, another part of me knows that if the Colts had something (16-0) that my team didn't, and my gladiators laid down and didn't even honestly try to match their arch-rivals achievment when it was well and truly within their grasp, as a fan, I would be right p*ssed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Pat is there some reason you think we wouldn't beat Houston?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Underdogg, what he said was obviously nonsense.  The Pats scored a TD with 4 seconds left in the game and went for a 2 point conversion to tie.  The conversion failed but that's obviously not throwing a game.  Not to mention that the Steelers were a six seed who consistently lost to the Patriots, nobody was afraid of them. 

None of this has anything to do with the issue.  The Colts rested healthy players with a chance to go undefeated.  That's obviously what this is about.  Many teams including the Colts have rested players in the last game.  Nobody recieved all the criticism because nobody was undefeated. 

Every team in that situation weighs staying sharp vs staying or keeping healthy but I really don't believe anybody with the chance to go undefeated would rest players other than the Colts.  Maybe Polian is trying to prove that his resting theory that has never worked before is the right decision.  I think a lot of teams are against resting players now because they have seen the Colts do it for years with no success.  It seems the only team that doesn't learn from the Colts mistakes is the Colts.

Sections
Shortcuts