Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Re: Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

Kind of like that Tex.  I see similarities between polian and root.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I mock Doggy, just like the GELDINGS mock the integrity of sports.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(g) and All:

Apparently, Bill Polian buffoonery knows no bounds. Heres' the text of an article by Mike Florio regarding "wimpgate", and comments Polian made on his radio show following the Colts' 30-7 loss to the Buffalo Bills:

Polian's radio show sticks to radio waves only

"As the Indianapolis Colts continue to try to turn the page on the decision not to pursue perfection -- and the ridiculous reasons they providedin support of the strategy -- team president Bill Polian once again took to the airwaves for his weekly radio show, seven days after his last show mysteriously ended early.

And, curiously, the radio show was available on the airwaves only.  For reasons that have not yet been explained via a team-issued press release quoting the program director of either station on which the show aired, Polian's most recent show did not stream on the web sites of HANK FM or 1070 the Fan, as it usually does.

As pointed out by StampedeBlue.com(yeah, the dude who writes it doesn't like me and, no, membership in that particular club has not yet maxed out), HANK FM's web stream featured music, and 1070 the Fan's live link wasn't working.

The folks at Examiner.com have posted an excellent multi-part summary of the show, during which Polian offered up gems like this one,

"We were because of the 14--2 record able to  do a marvelous and rarely done thing, which is to ensure ourselves of home-field advantage for as long as we last in the playoffs."

Yeah, it's really rare.  It only happens two times every year.  And the Colts have achieved it only two times in the last five seasons -- and they've managed to blow it in the divisional round each time.

Polian also tried to make nice with those who would hang him in effigy.  (Or in Indianapolis.)

"One of the major reasons we're 14-2 is because we have the greatest fans in the league, and because [Lucas Oil Stadium] is the toughest place to play in the league," Polian said.  "The fans are part of that 14-2.  They're part of this marvelous decade, a huge part of this marvelous decade we just witnessed.  We need them to be part of this journey upon which we're about to embark.  Without them, we lose a valuable member of our team.  They are the 12th man." 

Hey, at least the 12th man can't be pulled out of a game and rested.

Polian also defended the decision to subject receiver Reggie Wayne and tight end Dallas Clark  to injury in Sunday's Siberian regular-season finale by explaining that those 100-catch seasons might help them make an eventual case for Canton.

"First of all, personal milestones are importantin that they play a vast role -- perhaps too much of a role -- in Hall of Fame, All-Decade teams, things of that nature," Polian said.

Fine, but teamaccomplishments have even greater meaning.  Just ask Lynn Swann, whose career numbers never would have gotten him a bronze bust if he hadn't played for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s. 

Besides, what better way to boost the case for all key Colts players than to make them members of the only 19-0 team in NFL history?

See, this is why Polian needs to just quit talking about the situation.  The more he says, the more ammunition he provides to those who think he's simply refusing to admit that the Colts made a bad decision.

So maybe he simply shouldn't do a radio show at all.

And maybe that's why last night's show was available only in a format where Polian's words disappeared into the ether.  But for the diligence of John Oesher of Examiner.com, they would have.

LOL!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I like Florio - he stirs the pot as well as anyone and has one of the best conspiracy minds in the business.  Sometimes, however, his own opinions fall flat.  See below. 

Polian also defended the decision to subject receiver Reggie Wayne and tight end Dallas Clark  to injury in Sunday's Siberian regular-season finale by explaining that those 100-catch seasons might help them make an eventual case for Canton.

"First of all,
    personal milestones are importantin that they play a vast role -- perhaps too much of a role -- in Hall of Fame, All-Decade teams, things of that nature," Polian said.

Fine, but teamaccomplishments have even greater meaning.  Just ask Lynn Swann, whose career numbers never would have gotten him a bronze bust if he hadn't played for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s. 

Besides, what better way to boost the case for all key Colts players than to make them members of the only 19-0 team in NFL history?

The thing that I don't get is if it was team accomplishments that thrust Lynn Swann to Canton immortality (can't a case be made for just about anything?), I am wondering how he got there when none of those team accomplishments included an undefeated season.  Maybe 4 superbowl victories in 6 years have something to do with it instead of an unguaranteed effort at an undefeated season that results in nothing.  

Maybe a better case could have been made if Florio had identified someone from the undefeated Dolphins team that got to Canton primarily or specifically on its undefeated season.  Maybe. 

But then again maybe a better case does not exist, and for goodness sake, something needs to be written, right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(g), you stated the following:

"I like Florio - he stirs the pot as well as anyone and has one of the best conspiracy minds in the business.  Sometimes, however, his own opinions fall flat.  See below. 

"First of all,
    personal milestones are importantin that they play a vast role -- perhaps too much of a role -- in Hall of Fame, All-Decade teams, things of that nature," Polian said.

The thing that I don't get is if it was team accomplishments that thrust Lynn Swann to Canton immortality (can't a case be made for just about anything?), I am wondering how he got there when none of those team accomplishments included an undefeated season.  Maybe 4 superbowl victories in 6 years have something to do with it instead of an unguaranteed effort at an undefeated season that results in nothing.  

RESPONSE: Not only did Swannie's team win 4 SBs in 6 years, but he tended to play big in the biggest of games.

Dogg(g), you really need to stop defending the indefensible. You have already said that you didn't agree with Polian's decision to forego perfection. Why do you feel that way?   

Maybe a better case could have been made if Florio had identified someone from the undefeated Dolphins team that got to Canton primarily or specifically on its undefeated season.  Maybe.

RESPONSE: Come now, Dogg(g). Florio is making the point that being a good player who played on an undefeated team is a resume enhancer for Canton...not a ticket in. This was in response to Polian's defense for playing Clark and Wayne in the Buffalo blizzard...where Polian claimed that individual records are a resume enhancer for Canton. But...why should Polian care about that? Isn't the overriding goal to win the SB? Polian  didn't risk his players for a perfect season...yet he risks them so that, when they retire, they might have a better chance of making the Hall of Fame?? LOL!!!  

But then again maybe a better case does not exist, and for goodness sake, something needs to be written, right?

RESPONSE: Give up the ghost on defending Polian, Dogg(g). Why can''t Polian simply admit that he misjudged the importance of perfection with his players, and the Indy fans? The more he opens his mouth, the deeper he sinks in the quicksand of  buffoonery.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Tex,

Even if we take on face value that the individual records are important, Polian seems to forget that those catches and yards could just have easily come in the Jets game had they decided to leave them in. 

Great posts and responses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Enoch...don't tell that to Dogg(g), or, especially, to Jules. The logic of it would be too much for them to bear...LOL!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Tex, I have. Curiously, they both ignore it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Gents - Manning needed to complete 12 passes to get these guys to their marks.  In 2 2/3 quarters of the Jets game, Manning completed a total of 14 passes.  Wayne was covered by arguably the best corner in the NFL and both he and Clark had dropped balls. 

while you would like to believe that the colts could have easily gotten those numbers in the Jets game, I disagree.  The numbers don't work out and the team against which they were playing has the #1 d in the NFL.   

Regardless, Manning has always played some in meaningless games.  In 2007 he played into the second quarter.  In 2008 he played the first series of the final game.

I don't begrudge you guys for your opinion, but I clearly disagree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Where do I start?

The Colts lack of sportsmanship -(Sportsmanship is conformance to the rules, spirit, and etiquette of sport. Often the pressures of competition, individual achievement, or introduction of technology can seem to work against enjoyment by participants. As a result, sportsmanship may be contrasted with gamesmanship.)- is what it is. A lack of sportsmanship masqueraded as achievement through self-centered gamesmanship. 

Not going for the record is a wimpy approach. Sport is about attempting to be the greatest, no? What does this teach our youth? That it's OK to loaf rather than at least attempt to be the very best ever/you can be. The ideology behind this approach not only shows disdain to tough football players of yesteryear, but, deludes youth into thinking its OK not to try your best at all times. Polian's sportmanship bailout is a mockery of football justice IMO. It teaches kids across America to loaf rather than overcome. It teaches that cowardice is acceptable as long as you don't get affected by it. The bottom line is that they will be affected, infected, disected, & rejected as champions this season.      

Jules - Whereever your head is, pull it out quick. You're running out of oxygen.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

jbolted may be a chargers fan ;-) but I agree with him 100%

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

lastat - in the 2004 season they rested Manning and starters and won the next week.  So actually there is evidence to the contrary.  Oh, and history has shown pretty clearly that when a team can go for an undefeated record and still not win the superbowl.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

And yet in the game of life, I am sure we can come up with many examples of losing battles in order to win wars. 

If there weren't, I don't think we would have the cliche.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"It teaches kids across America to loaf rather than overcome."

At one time, the Colts players were kids. Like their parents, grandparents etc. All of them learned something about competing from someone. Looking at how society is "progressing", I'm really tired of people, especially politicians, spouting phony self-serving stuff like..."We have to think about our children". Obviously, a lot of people haven't been thinking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

No one's going to ever convince me that even BB himself didn't have the "Oh, Oh! Why did I play Wes today?" thought pop into his head when Wes was lying on the field Sunday. Sorry, but I won't but into that. Even BB's "human".

Who cares who rests who when you're looking at a game that doesn't matter much. Undefeated? So what! if you're that good a team, letthe backups prove they're worth by winning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(g): Why do you continue to try to defend the indefensible? Even you have admitted that Polian made a mistake...yet you still can't bring yourself to give an objective opinion on "wimpgate"...LOL!!

You stated the following:

"...in the 2004 season they rested Manning and starters and won the next week.  So actually there is evidence to the contrary.

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Sheer desperation. The issue isn't whether resting players gives a team a better chance to win a first round playoff game! The issue is whether the Colts' were puss*es in not going for the perfect season! Incidently, did the Colts get to the SB when they rested their players in 2004? 

Oh, and history has shown pretty clearly that when a team can go for an undefeated record and still not win the superbowl. 

RESPONSE: Losing the argument...so now the dig. At least the Patriots made it to the SB. Besides, how does this support your argument, as the  Pats didn't rest their players. Injury or fatigue didn't cost them SB 42. A  bogus, media created distraction on the eve of the SB, a very good NY Giants team, and a miracle catch are the things that kept them from perfection. 

Unlike your lovables, the Pats had the guts to shoot for the stars.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Maybe we should ask Dick Butkus and Deacon Jones if they would sit on a 14-0 team?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

TP - please don't put words in my mouth.  It diminishes your credibility.  As for an objective opinion, neither one of us has that, but you are the only one trying to sell it. 

As to your second point - I was responding to a direct question from Lstat.  Why are you attempting to spin this back to the conversation you wish to have when it doesn't involve you.  Talk about desparation.  Pathetic desparation is more like it. 

Lastly, my comment wasn't a dig.  It was a factual response related to a direct question asked to me.  I am sorry you did not like the answer.  As for what caused the pats to lose the superbowl, I thought it was the New York Giants.  Beyond that I know of at least one poster on this board that wished for a healthier Brady ankle during that run.  Would that have made a difference?  Who knows?  

One more - I am not trying to win an arguement.  I am simply answering questions. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Good thing Geldings can't reproduce.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors:
    Just let it go, folks.  I don't really understand why some Pats fans seem mad about Indy's decision to rest.  What does it matter to you?  If I was a Colts fan I'd be p*ssed but honestly, I don't give a rat's ###.  Let's enjoy the playoffs and time will tell if Indy made a poor decision or not!
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

Yeah, discussing the Colts decision to not go for it 2 weeks later with a playoff game 4 days away says something.  I'm not sure exactly what it says, but it's probably not flattering.  This will make a good offseason topic.  In fact, the #1 thread in the last offseason was guess what?  "Dungy".  I see a pattern here...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(g)...you are unbelievable...LOL!! Give up the ghost, son. OK...here we go again...you stated the following:  

"TP - please don't put words in my mouth.  It diminishes your credibility.

RESPONSE:  What "words am I putting in your mouth"? You've already admitted that you disagreed with Polian's decision, and that it was cowardly. 

As for an objective opinion, neither one of us has that, but you are the only one trying to sell it.

RESPONSE: Speak for yourself. You are the one defending the indefensible.

As to your second point - I was responding to a direct question from Lstat.  Why are you attempting to spin this back to the conversation you wish to have when it doesn't involve you.  Talk about desparation.  Pathetic desparation is more like it.

RESPONSE: You're making as much sense as Bill Polian. By continuously trying to defend the indefensible, you are showing yourself to be a pathetic homer. 

Lastly, my comment wasn't a dig.  It was a factual response related to a direct question asked to me.  I am sorry you did not like the answer.  As for what caused the pats to lose the superbowl, I thought it was the New York Giants.  Beyond that I know of at least one poster on this board that wished for a healthier Brady ankle during that run.  Would that have made a difference?  Who knows? 

RESPONSE: Cut the BS. Brady injured his ankle in the AFC title game against the Chargers. It had nothing to do with the Pats failing to rest him in the regular season.

One more - I am not trying to win an arguement.  I am simply answering questions. 

RESPONSE: BS. You are still defending Polian's cowardly decision.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Blowing out teams to go for perfection is completely different. Our offense got paid to score and opposing defenses got paid to stop us. More often than not, they didn't stop us. There's nothing unethical or classless about that. Ask any old-school NFL player and they'd say the same thing.

As for the pressure getting to us for the Super Bowl, I disagree. It wasn't the pressure, we just got manhandled by a team that wanted it more. I think Brady was seriously injured and his high school coach even said some time after that he had to have been injured because the Patriots never tried to roll the pocket out to create some time. Brady's not exactly mobile but they would have done that like in years past. With Belichick, we'll never know what was truly wrong with Brady.

Wes Welker got injured on a freak play. That could have happened in his driveway. Same for Ochocinco. He could have slipped on ice anywhere but it happened at Giants Stadium.

You're right about Indy/New England though. I wouldn't doubt that nobody else cared. We've been a rivalry for a decade and they could have had something we already did but they wimped out. You don't ditch your decade-long label as a choker by pulling starters at 14-0. You ditch that label by going for it and losing with dignity, IF you ever lost that is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

If the Colts had continued to play all their starters, I think they could have gone 16-0.  The question Bill Polian and Caldwell had to ask themselves, was could they go 16-0 and he healthy enough for a SB run?  Obviously, they didn't think they could.  I don't have a problem that they rested starters, it's how they went about it.  They could have limited snaps by their starters by rotating in the 2nd stringers.  The fact that they went cold turkey was embarrasing to the organization and made them look like quitters.  After the fact, Polian did a terrible job spinning his message/philosaphy.  Funny thing is, if they win the Superbowl, there will be fans who will never forgive them for not seeking perfection.    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I wonder if the Geldings would have pulled their starters if they were playing the Pats in that game?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

"I wonder if the Geldings would have pulled their starters if they were playing the Pats in that game?"

That's a good question?  Maybe Goodell should consider scheduling a teams most bitter rivals for weeks 16 & 17.  Create an incentive to win.  Pats could end their season by playing the Jets in week 16 and the Colts in 17.