Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

Here is Jay Mariotti's take on "wimpgate": http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2009/12/28/reality-of-colts-choke-19-0-a-pipedream/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Tex:

This Tedy quote is on point.

"Here's the reality: Some teams don't just play for championships, they play to be the best there has ever been. Others are just satisfied with doing what's required. The Colts decided that resting is more important than making a run at history. They are telling us that what they have done up to this point in the season is good enough. They are satisfied with home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. 19-0? No big deal. History? Didn't want it."

The Colts are what I've always felt they were, a bunch of posers. Nothing about that team intimidates if you ask me. Brady's bunch of yesteryear warranted respect with not only what they've accomplished, but, more importantly how is was achieved. The aw-shucks mind set just dont cut it for me.

good luck

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Incidently, Tom Brady will play this Sunday in Houston. Heres' what the Terrific One had to say about it: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/31/brady-told-that-hell-play/.

The last line of the piece is priceless...Peyton Manning nodding his head in agreement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from blsox11. Show blsox11's posts

Colts weren't going to win anything anyway. They had one of the easiest schedules in the league. THey played 8 games in a dome. They played six games in warm weather cities. One of the remaining two was against Baltimore in November which wasn't too cold. This week's game will be their only true cold and weather effected game all year in Buffalo. I really believe they knew they would lose this coming weekend so why bother in last week's game. They realistically could have lost four to five games with their weak schedule. We know they did lose one against the Pats because that was indeed a first down but the Manning is God attitude influenced the calls in that game. I'm not worried about the Colts at all. THey will come into the playoffs with their tail between their legs and go out with it in their mouth. The team to beat for the Pats will be the Chargers who can implode like few teams can. Don't be surprised to see a Steelers-Pats AFC title game if the matchups allow for it. Go Pats. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

Now, since I am not a Patriots fan (not a hater, just not my favorite team) this may immediately be considered trolling by some....

If the Colts go on to win the SB, would you go back and say that the Colts made the right decision and the Patriots in '07 did not?  One could argue the Pats were out of gas in the SB, and if they rested their starters in that last game maybe they would've won?

Personally, I wish the Colts went for it and was glad the Patriots did.  Chances for undefeated seasons come less often than chances for a SB, so I think you have to go for it if the opportunity presents itself. 

The Colts have gone down this 'resting the starters' thing before, and it always costs them momentum come playoff time.  When the Steelers won SB40, they started their run against a Colts team that took 3 1/2 quarters to shake the cobwebs as they hadn't played any meaningful minutes in several weeks.  This will happen to them again this year, I am convinced.

But, if it works for the Colts, one could certainly argue they were right and the Pats were wrong, so says Dr. Schlemberger, Professor of Revisionist History.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

No, still a mistake to take a pass on History.  In fact, I think it would burn the players up knowing they could have gone all the way..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

blsox: You stated:

"Colts weren't going to win anything anyway. They had one of the easiest schedules in the league. THey played 8 games in a dome. They played six games in warm weather cities. One of the remaining two was against Baltimore in November which wasn't too cold...I'm not worried about the Colts at all. THey will come into the playoffs with their tail between their legs and go out with it in their mouth. The team to beat for the Pats will be the Chargers who can implode like few teams can. Don't be surprised to see a Steelers-Pats AFC title game if the matchups allow for it..."

RESPONSE: Every Colts' playoff game will be played in their dome...and...if they should make it to the SB, that game is being played in a warm weather cite...Miami. I don't like the prospects of stopping the Colts from the SB if the Pats have to play the Chargers, before they, or San Diego, get to Indy. 

As for the Steelers, if the Pats lose to Houston, Pittsburgh is pretty much done. So...the Pats probably would be better off losing the Houston game. It would keep the Steelers out of the playoffs, and could drop the Pats to the 4th overall seed...whereby the would avoid San Diego, and, assuming they win their wild card game, get the Colts.

I would love to see the Pats get a rematch with ol' Horseface.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

What is not causal today, will not be causal tomorrow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Clouts,

I think it's a mistake to not go for it. 

I think fear of injury as opposed to extra rest is the reason to pull your starters when you have one of the top two seeds.

Remember, both the '07 Pats and '09 Colts had/have the wild card round off and there is a two week wait before the SuperBowl. 

IMHO, only if you think that Brady hurt his ankle in the Dec. 29 game against the Giants and was therefore not able to deal with their pass rush in the SB was going for it a mistake.  I don't think that was the case. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Colts need to be concerned with the fact that they have the worst run-game in the NFL.  I cannot recall a SB winning team that shared this stat.  If the Chargers end up playing this team, the Colts are in deep, deep trouble and I think their fan base knows this.

Colts are crazy beatable with or without the refs in their pocket. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

clouts...you stated the following:

"...If the Colts go on to win the SB, would you go back and say that the Colts made the right decision and the Patriots in '07 did not?  One could argue the Pats were out of gas in the SB, and if they rested their starters in that last game maybe they would've won?

RESPONSE: If the Colts win it all, both their fans and players would forever be bothered by "what if". If Indy wins the SB, they'll be just another team that had a great year, and won a title. Then, they'll be forgotten. But, had they gone 19-0, the 2009 Colts would have achieved football immortality, would be considered one of the best NFL teams of all-time, Indy would likely have stolen the mantle from the Patriots as the team of the decade, and Peyton Manning without question would have been touted as the best NFL QB of all-time.

As for the Pats being "out of gas", I don't buy that for a NY minute. To a man, Patriots' players have denied that. What really hurt the Pats in that blasted SB 42 loss was the Tomase/Specter/NY media conspiracy to launch that bogus spygate two story on the eve of that game. That served as a huge distraction to the Patriots' coaches and players...both of whom turned in their worst performances of the season for that game. 

Finally, how successful has the resting their players strategy been for Indy over the years? Answer...its' been a disaster. They have choked in the play-offs every year they've done it. The one year when they won their tainted SB, they did it as a wild-card team. 

Personally, I wish the Colts went for it and was glad the Patriots did.  Chances for undefeated seasons come less often than chances for a SB, so I think you have to go for it if the opportunity presents itself.

RESPONSE: Agreed.

The Colts have gone down this 'resting the starters' thing before, and it always costs them momentum come playoff time.  When the Steelers won SB40, they started their run against a Colts team that took 3 1/2 quarters to shake the cobwebs as they hadn't played any meaningful minutes in several weeks.  This will happen to them again this year, I am convinced.

RESPONSE: My point, exactly.

But, if it works for the Colts, one could certainly argue they were right and the Pats were wrong, so says Dr. Schlemberger, Professor of Revisionist History.

RESPONSE: No. It doesn't necessarily mean that. One could also argue that resting their players wouldn't have mattered. The Colts could have gone 19-0, but didn't have the guts to go for it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Soups...you stated that...Colts are crazy beatable with or without the refs in their pocket. 

RESPONSE: Beating the Colts in the dome, and needing to overcome the refs to do it, is a tall order.      

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Happy new year, Texas! 

Yep...that was me.  I wrote a while back that the Pats self-destructed in the 2nd half against Indy; Maroney fumbled on the one, and Brady threw a pick in the endzone.  I still honestly feel that the Colts danced through some raindrops this season.   I recognize that they are a formidable team when the offense clicks, but without Clark this season, they're about an 11-5 team.  Again, they have the worst run game in the NFL.

The Pats' own ineptitude gave the Colts that game, and the Colts' fans know this.  There is no question that two of those pass int. calls were abominable, but a loss is a loss.  Pats dominated that team in the first half.  Love to see them get another shot.

Happy holidays, TexasPat. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

Good responses guys.  Just curious is all.  Please go out and win in Texas!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

FLASH!!!! Roger "Jets" Goodell has announced that the NFL will "investigate" the practice of playoff bound teams resting their starting during the waning weeks of the season. Since this is a practice that has been going on for years, and was in fact approved by the NFL Rules Committee in 2005, such promised action seems strange...doesn't it?: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/01/competition-committee-will-look-at-playoff-teams-resting-starters/ 

But...we all know that this "issue" stems solely from the disgraceful, cowardly decision by Rules Committee Czar Polian to sit Peyton down in the final 20 minutes of Indy's 29-15 loss to the NY Jets. Indy fans are still understandably up in arms over their lovables passing on perfection.  

A promise of an "investigation" is nothing more than an attempt by the league to paint this issue as a league-wide problem, thereby taking the heat off the Colts. After all, the NFL doesn't want its' "glamour franchise" to be perceived as cowardly and wimpish...LOL!!   

Where was the outcry for an "investigation" for teams tanking games last year, when the 11-5 Patriots failed to make the play-offs?

Thoughts?       

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

With regards to the article cited in my post above, Mike Florio stated the following:

"When the Competition Committee takes up the issue (teams resting players), Colts president Bill Polian should recuse himself.  Given the harsh reaction that his team has faced after laying down in the second half of Sunday's game against the Jets, any change to the policy possibly would be interpreted as a concession by the league that the Colts undermined the integrity of the game.  So Polian is incapable, in our view, of being objective on this point."

RESPONSE: LOL!!! For that matter, how can it be expected that Polian, the Czar of both the Rules Committee and the Indianapolis Colts, be "objective" about about anything? Was it a mere coincidence that he pushed through the "Polian Passing Rules", which clearly favored his team, and were in opposition to his chief competitor? How have all the bogus PI calls affected the "integrity of the game"?   

What a joke!!   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Obviously, Bill Polian is quaking in his boots over the threatened NFL investigation on teams resting their starters...as the Colts place 30 of their 33 players on their injury report. Curiously omitted from the injured list was Peyton Manning...who last week was listed with an butt injury. I kid you not:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/02/colts-put-30-on-final-week-17-injury-report/

LOL!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

30 on the injury report, Are you F'n kidding me?   Unless "Getting your feelings hurt" can be considered an injury than how?  They didn't even play!
    Obviously a cover up for last week but in reality digging a bigger hole.  What a joke......I'm so happy I'm not a  geldings fan....GO PATS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Cowardly Colts' Organization Shows Its' True Colors

Yeller.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Forecast in Buffalo for tomorrow's "huge" game is for cold temperatures, snow, and heavy winds. The conditions might actually make it more dangerous to stand on the sidelines, than play! Perhaps Bill Polian and Jim Caldwell will order their players to wear overcoats and scarfs over their uniforms...LOL!!
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/02/colts-bills-on-track-to-play-in-snowstorm/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

TEX:
    The Colts brass feel that this was no problem how it was handled and all. I think it divides the team a bit. You know, the us (starters) & them (2nd & 3rd stringers) mentality. It was allowed to be portrayed as an elitist approach IMO. Whether brass feels that way or not, it has that appearance. At this time, you want to build team, not us & them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Bolt...you stated that:

"The Colts brass feel that this was no problem how it was handled and all. I think it divides the team a bit. You know, the us (starters) & them (2nd & 3rd stringers) mentality. It was allowed to be portrayed as an elitist approach IMO. Whether brass feels that way or not, it has that appearance. At this time, you want to build team, not us & them."

RESPONSE: I tend to agree that it ruffled some feathers of their players. I don't believe for a minute that guys like Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Gary Brackett, and ol' Horseface himself were anywhere near as cavalier as Polian and Caldwell about earning a perfect season. It will be interesting to see if there are repercussions from management's cowardly decision.

That said...Happy New Year to you and yours, Bolt!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

To put a final wrap on this topic, heres' a great article by Bob Kravitz of the Indy Star. Kravitz is baffled by the Colts' playing their regulars in Buffalo to achieve individual goals, after passing on their chance for a perfect season, and football immortality: http://www.indystar.com/article/20100104/SPORTS15/1040354/1058/SPORTS03/Kravitz-At-least-we-know-stats-trump-NFL-history

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

And now the colts could pay the price for letting the Jets in the playoffs. If the Jets beat Cincy in the wildcard game, which I see no reason to doubt, the Jets go to Indy if pats win.  The Jets are getting hot at the right time and could easily defeat the Colts with their D and their running game.  That would be poetic justice for the indy cowards. 

Sections
Shortcuts