CRAZY CONTRACT!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

CRAZY CONTRACT!

Bengals, Atkins agree on $55M deal

5 hr ago FOX Sports

tweet

pin it

email

Bengals, All-Pro DT Atkins agree on $55M extension

The Bengals have agreed to a five-year, $55 million extension with All-Pro DT Geno Atkins, FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo confirms.

The deal, which includes $22 million over the next six months, is the second most lucrative for a defensive tackle in NFL history. The Ravens' Haloti Ngata received a five-year, $61 million extension in 2011.

The All-Pro tackle, a fourth-round pick in 2010, was entering the final year on his original deal. He made the Pro Bowl each of the last two seasons. Atkins had 12 1/2 sacks last season, the most by any interior lineman in the NFL.

Cincinnati has spent more than $180 million since the end of last season keeping their team intact. The Bengals have reached the playoffs each of the last two seasons as a wild card, only to lose to Houston in the first round.

Atkins is the 12th Bengals player to get either a new contract or an extension since the end of last season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This is nuts...he's good but not THAT good...this will be trouble for the Bengals...wait and see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: CRAZY CONTRACT!

12.5 sacks from a DT is going to lead to this kind of contract. But I agree. The Pats are pretty good at keeping a balance on their contracts - they pay good players well, but tend to shy away from the 'record' type of deals at any position. Wilfork is the standard on defense that sets the wage scale and they are careful not to embarrass him by paying anyone else more. The only contract I remember them really getting held up over was Mankins. The others that wanted top dollar were traded or walked and I am not sure how they feel in the end - they got the big money, but with a few exceptions never played as well or experienced the same level of team success.

I know we live in a material world and these guys have limited windows but it can't be a whole lot of fun playing for an Oakland or Buffalo and getting the crap kicked out of you on a weekly basis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I don't think it's that bad of a deal.  You tie up a player who has played better year after year, and is the building piece of your defense.  If you consider the fact that he actually got paid less the Ngata it's really a good deal for cincy.  This team is loaded and will only continue to get better.  They have one of the best dlines in all of football and the second best WR in the game, who also has only gotten better year after year.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The guy is an absolute beast. 20 sacks as an undertackle in the last two seasons. That's what players like that are worth. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

The guy is an absolute beast. 20 sacks as an undertackle in the last two seasons. That's what players like that are worth. 

Be ineteresting what they decide to do with Johnson. I think they tagged him this year. I wonder if they will give him a long term deal?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

Be ineteresting what they decide to do with Johnson. I think they tagged him this year. I wonder if they will give him a long term deal?

[/QUOTE]

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy, 2013 "is" RE Michael Johnson's last year with the Bengals. That became clearer than ever when the Bengals sunk $40 million into Carlos Dunlap on Monday afternoon. Cincinnati never commits long term to franchise-tagged players, and Johnson is considerably further down the team's priority list than both Dunlap and contract-year DT Geno Atkins. An up-and-down performer to this point in his career, Johnson will have a ton to play for in 2013.  Jul 15 - 6:15 PM

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He's such a huge part of their defense. The problem is, even though they have elite corners, Newman is 35, Jones ... who knows what he could do ... but he and Leon Hall are locked up. So Newman, who is getting up there, bears watching.

The Dunlap contract was solid at ~$6.5 mil per season. Johnson is more of a presence in the rush, but he has been inconsistent play to play like he was in college. It's tough because ... in total valuation ... Dunlap is a better player even if Johnson  is a better rusher. 

It's so hard to hold a bunch of stars together. I think if Johnson isn't going hog wild in FA, they could hold it together. Cincy is a defensive team, they would be advised to not ruffle that profile. 

But improving the offensive side of the ball is their question. They put a lot of pressure on that defense week to week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

He's such a huge part of their defense. The problem is, even though they have elite corners, Newman is 35, Jones ... who knows what he could do ... but he and Leon Hall are locked up. So Newman, who is getting up there, bears watching.

The Dunlap contract was solid at ~$6.5 mil per season. Johnson is more of a presence in the rush, but he has been inconsistent play to play like he was in college. It's tough because ... in total valuation ... Dunlap is a better player even if Johnson  is a better rusher. 

It's so hard to hold a bunch of stars together. I think if Johnson isn't going hog wild in FA, they could hold it together. Cincy is a defensive team, they would be advised to not ruffle that profile. 

But improving the offensive side of the ball is their question. They put a lot of pressure on that defense week to week.

They had over 25 mil going into free agency I was surprised they didn't make a run at Welker. Would have made a formidable trio Green & Gresham. Would have also allowed Dalton a checkdown option he doesn't have.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

They had over 25 mil going into free agency I was surprised they didn't make a run at Welker. Would have made a formidable trio Green & Gresham. Would have also allowed Dalton a checkdown option he doesn't have.

Well they could have made an offer to Welker, but Welker apparently said Pats or Denver would be the teams he'd play for...