Crazy idea- Watson at WR position?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Crazy idea- Watson at WR position?

I always hear how fast Ben Watson is and started to wonder what if Belichick played him at WR. He couldn't be jammed at the LOS, he'd be a real mismatch with some 5'9" cornerback. Crazy thought but Belichick is always looking for multiple ways to use of his players. He may just be too valuable at TE running a 15 route up the middle of the field. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DYBLITZ. Show DYBLITZ's posts

Re: Crazy idea- Watson at WR position?

In Response to Crazy idea- Watson at WR position?:
    I always hear how fast Ben Watson is and started to wonder what if Belichick played him at WR. He couldn't be jammed at the LOS, he'd be a real mismatch with some 5'9" cornerback. Crazy thought but Belichick is always looking for multiple ways to use of his players. He may just be too valuable at TE running a 15 route up the middle of the field. 
    Posted by RonF

I think that have in a way already. Not this season, but in the past. He will line up in the tight end position and then motions out to the edge.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Crazy idea- Watson at WR position?:
    In Response to Crazy idea- Watson at WR position? : I think that have in a way already. Not this season, but in the past. He will line up in the tight end position and then motions out to the edge.
    Posted by DYBLITZ

I've seen him in the slot.  It puts a lot of stress on opponents' personnel to try to find someone who can cover him.  Linebackers are too slow in space, but slot corners are too small.  Safeties would be better, but some aren't good in man-to-man coverage and few teams have a safety to spare on Watson in addition to the two that are already playing deep.  It's also nice to have Watson as a blocker depending on how the defense chose to match up.

I think this also highlights how nice it could be if McGowan continues to improve.  If he could play LB/SS hybrid and cover TE's, then Sanders and Merriweather can stay over the top.  Supposedly Chung has cover skills, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DYBLITZ. Show DYBLITZ's posts

In Response to Re: Crazy idea- Watson at WR position? : I've seen him in the slot.  It puts a lot of stress on opponents' personnel to try to find someone who can cover him.  Linebackers are too slow in space, but slot corners are too small.  Safeties would be better, but some aren't good in man-to-man coverage and few teams have a safety to spare on Watson in addition to the two that are already playing deep.  It's also nice to have Watson as a blocker depending on how the defense chose to match up. I think this also highlights how nice it could be if McGowan continues to improve.  If he could play LB/SS hybrid and cover TE's, then Sanders and Merriweather can stay over the top.  Supposedly Chung has cover skills, too.
    Posted by NickC1188

I can see McGowen becoming the hybrid LB/SS that they were hoping Lynch could have been.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Watson plays TE, Slot receiver and Wideout depending on the formation and personnel package Bill wants to use. He has become to valuable a blocker to move outside full time though. Let's let Bill do what he has been doing and that is lining him up all over the field. Creating multiple mismatches between LBs, Safeties, and CBs. See who has the most trouble covering him and then exploit that matchup the rest of the afternoon. Each team will be different so, lets just hope that the scouting report is bang on each week.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Watson does what we ask him to do and if we asked him to switch his game and be a 100% all the time WR mid season it would be a major mistake so no we shouldnt ask him to switch to WR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Watson certainly has the speed, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in that role if the situation calls for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Really, what is the difference except where they line up.  WR 's block as well, or at least they are supposed to....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slapointe1232. Show slapointe1232's posts

I was thinking that about Maroney.  If you look at him, his major problem is he runs directly into a wall of defensive linemen, put him at receiver and this problem goes away. Could be amazing, could be stupid.  I don't know

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Really, what is the difference except where they line up.  WR 's block as well, or at least they are supposed to....
    Posted by adam4522

The difference?
    Benjamin Watson is 6'4" and weighs 250-260 pounds.  He also ran a 4.4 40yd-dash at the combine.

Receivers may be 6'4", but aside from T.O., none of them approach 250 (and T.O. is 'only' 225-230).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Crazy idea- Watson at WR position?:
    Posted by RonF

watson certainly has the speed, and his hands seem to have improved this year, but we need his blocking skills off the edge even if only chip blocks on the way to a pass route, plus his route running has always been his weakest attribute, and that would be skill number one for any full time receiver.  personally i feel the pats offense is more effective, and better for the whole team with a 2-3 wr set rather than 4-5 as it gives extra protection to brady, controls the clock, keeps the running game healthy, and keeps our defense fresh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Posted by adam4522

It's a big difference. You can't have a guy that can help contain the corner lining up wide. 
    Here's a crazy idea, why don't they sit down with the moronic receiver we have and make sure he can run the routes? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I have no problem with Watson motioning to the slot on certain plays, which is something he's done plenty of times before. But a full-time receiver? I don't think so, because a) defenses can plan their schemes around it, b) he's too inconsistant as a receiver, and c) he's too valuable as a blocking TE.

I don't have a problem with Maroney moving out of the backfield to the slot on certain plays, either, which is something he's done quite a bit this year. But I really don't think he'd pan out too well as a full-time WR.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Only as a gimmick, and against just the right cornerback. 

Put Watson at wideout for one play and run an end-around or a bubble screen in Watson's direction.  Watson gets three seconds to push the cornerback 10 yards backwards and into the ground.  That's the important part.  Any yards gained are gravy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

"Only as a gimmick?...   "  or "I dont have a problem with that?"

Well guess what fans... if you had been watching the games this year you would have seen that Watson has frequently lined up wide out and in the slot as well as TE and "H back" if you will when he is a TE off the line (and sometimes in motion). Its already here so you don't have to ask "what if". BB has already been running those sets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I was re-watching the 2007 Pats - Ravens game.  A stat was mentioned.  During 2007, Brady was 19 of 19 to Watson between the hash marks.

Here's another crazy idea.  Move Maroney to TE.  He seems better with short passes over the middle. no more RB for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

In Response to Re: Crazy idea- Watson at WR position? : It's a big difference. You can't have a guy that can help contain the corner lining up wide.  Here's a crazy idea, why don't they sit down with the moronic receiver we have and make sure he can run the routes? 
    Posted by Sam-Adams

What I mean is this.  If we have Watson, Moss, Welker, and Galloway on the field.  Does anyone care if we call it a 3 reciever set or a 4 reciever set?  If we "call" watson a WR it would technically be a 4 reciever set....

Now if we only had Moss, Watson, Baker, and another blocking TE and we only truly had moss and Watson as "WR's" that is a different story, but in a goal line type situation wouldn't that be ok as well.  I can see Watson in motion on the 2 TE from split wide towards the like and faulk bouncing a run out to that side for the easy score....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

I would like to see him as WR on certain plays, cracking a LB or a CB. Hell. I would like to see him in nickel defense packages, because he can hit and can run (reference Champ Bailey Borncos Playoffs..and that touchback). This is looking ahead, but I think he could cover Dallas Clark, run with him, jam him at the line.

Sections
Shortcuts