Cromartie to Jets!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Re: Cromartie to Jets!!!

From Espn:

The New York Jets made an intrepid move Thursday night, acquiring San Diego Chargerscornerback Antonio Cromartie for a 2011 draft choice. 

Cromartie
    Cromartie
    The move was bold on many levels. Cromartie is a confounding figure both on and off the field. 

First the upside: He'll turn just 26 next month. He was an All-Pro in 2007, when he led the league with 10 interceptions. 

But he brings his share of problems with him and will face the same type of scrutiny receiver Braylon Edwards received when the Jets traded for him in October. 

In the interest of providing a more complete look at Cromartie than merely considering how potentially terrifying he and Darrelle Revis can be for opposing quarterbacks, let's take a look at the more troublesome aspects of his background.

• Cromartie has at least seven children in five states. Depending on the report, they were born to five or six women. (If he can't keep them straight, how can we?) All the children are under 6 years old.
    • The San Diego Union-Tribune has reported he owes $25,000 in unpaid child support and has been the subject of five paternity lawsuits over the past three years.
    • The Union-Tribune reported Friday morning Cromartie twice has failed to appear in court to address traffic tickets and has neglected to pay $799 in fines.
    • The same story noted Cromartie is due in court this month for a case related to child support.
    • San Diego police investigated him for assault for allegedly hitting a man over the head with a champagne bottle at a bar in November. No charges were filed for lack of evidence.
    • Chargers coach Norv Turner fined Cromartie $2,500 for ripping the team's training-camp cuisine and suggesting that type of treatment is why they can't win Super Bowls.

26 years old. 7 kids under the age of 6 and it's either 5 or 6 women (who's counting right?) What a wonderful example he is. Loser. Period. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

The Jets pass rush wont be an issue. When you have 5-6-7 man blitzes all game the pressure will be there. At #22 I would like to see the Pouncey kid from florida. We gotta keep Brady upright and healthy to have a chance. This is a force who can play C/G. His intelligence is what the coaches also rave about, with his abililty to make calls/adjustments at the line...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

In Response to Re: Cromartie to Jets!!!:
    From Espn: The  New York Jets  made an intrepid move Thursday night, acquiring  San Diego Chargers cornerback  Antonio Cromartie  for a 2011 draft choice.  Cromartie The move was bold on many levels. Cromartie is a confounding figure both on and off the field.  First the upside: He'll turn just 26 next month. He was an All-Pro in 2007, when he led the league with 10 interceptions.  But he brings his share of problems with him and will face the same type of scrutiny receiver  Braylon Edwards  received when the Jets traded for him in October.  In the interest of providing a more complete look at Cromartie than merely considering how potentially terrifying he and  Darrelle Revis  can be for opposing quarterbacks, let's take a look at the more troublesome aspects of his background.   Cromartie has  at least seven children in five states . Depending on the report, they were born to five or six women. (If he can't keep them straight, how can we?) All the children are under 6 years old. The San Diego Union-Tribune has reported he owes $25,000 in unpaid child support and has been the subject of five paternity lawsuits over the past three years. The Union-Tribune reported Friday morning  Cromartie twice has failed to appear in court  to address traffic tickets and has neglected to pay $799 in fines. The same story noted Cromartie is due in court this month for a case related to child support. San Diego police investigated him for assault  for allegedly hitting a man over the head with a champagne bottle at a bar in November. No charges were filed for lack of evidence. Chargers coach  Norv Turner fined Cromartie $2,500  for ripping the team's training-camp cuisine and suggesting that type of treatment is why they can't win Super Bowls. 26 years old. 7 kids under the age of 6 and it's either 5 or 6 women (who's counting right?) What a wonderful example he is. Loser. Period. 
    Posted by mrbungle

None of what is said here will matter  if he picks TB12 twice as he will def not throw towards Revis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Bmadmax, agree on Bodden. if we don't sign him then the Pats are very thin at CB. I am not sold on Wilhite or Wheatley, I believe Butler can be a good CB; he'll be better in year two or year 3. The problem would be that we have nickel and dime CBs and no legitmate quality starters if Bodden leaves. In a pass heavy league, the Pats would arguably get shredded on weekly basis. Could we draft a SS and move Meriweather to CB ? You see this opens a huge can of worms in the secondary. Keeping in mind the Pass rush has been off-season priority #1. No pass rush + thin secondary means the Pats O will have to score a ton of points to win most games.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Merriweather to CB is an interesting idea. Mike Reiss of ESPN touched on that a while ago and said that he has the physical tolls to be a CB. What might work against him is his aggressive style of play as he wants to rip someone's head off everytime. CB need finesse and Brandon has to change his philosophy if he can work as a CB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

And I still dont see how that effects him catching a pick 6, but I guess. Like he is the only NFL player to have multiple children with as many women. He doesnt have to be a good person to be good player. Hell Brady left his child's mother WHILE she was pregnant and then got with Gisele...Is Brady a loser?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Well said.
    Cromatie to Jets is a great deal for them, and if he has an all pro season, then I don't see anyone talking about his multiple kids. He will do well in man-man scheme that is Rexy's bread and butter. I really hope we get a great WR to counter that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

They can get Boldin for a third, but he also wants a new contract so thats a longshot. But he'd be great.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The real question: Could you get someone better than Antonio Cromartie in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round ???

The answer: probably not

This is an excellent trade for the Jets.  Cromartie might have avoided tackling Shon Greene, but he's still a capable cover-man who could mature into another shutdown corner.  Why aren't the Patriots making moves like this one???  Seems more like they're content to fade into mediocrity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

There appear to be work ethic issues with this guy. At 26, age does not explain the precipitous drop in his effectiveness. It could well be that he will shine in Green New Jersey's physical style (although he, himself, is not a physically punishing player) but it doesn't seem as though San Dago is particularly sad to see him go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Cromartie is very overrated.  He did have a great year in 2007 but besides that has been undisciplined and inconsistent.  I read somewhere that he has six children with six different women.  What does that say about a man's maturity and judgment?  I'm not worried about the Jets getting Cromartie at all.
    Posted by pyegian

To me this means he can cover alot of ground. One would think though that a cover corner would know when to cover in the most important of human interactions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mynameisAugustWest. Show mynameisAugustWest's posts

People knocking this signing are crazy.

Couldn't agree more.  This is a very strong move by the Jets.  As others have pointed out, with 2 very dangerous CB's the Jets are going to be able to bring heavy amounts of pressure on opposing QB's and also will be able to stack the line against the run, and let the CB's play man.  A really good defense just got better. 

Losing the RB's will hurt them but when you have 3 Pro-bowlers on the oline, you can probably find RB's to plug in that will be effective.  Greene also looks like he might be the real deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Solid deal... but this still doesn't address the fact the Jets were terrible on offense and their best offensive weapon was just released... and relying on essentially a greenhorn RB who has a fumbling problem (and probably cannot pass protect well, either) and a QB that still hasn't shown me he can move the offense. The move doesn't do anything to address how terrible the Jets were against what Miami does well, more response to getting thrashed by any team with a legitimate #2 or #3 passing option, e.g., Colts (Garcon, Clark), Pats (Welker), Saints. 

I have two other words: Dre Bly (multiple time pro bowler, lined up opposite Champ). How well did that work out for Denver?

No doubt, this makes them better against the Pats (esp. if Welker is out), but I don't see this really making them better against the Fins, Bills (don't really pass anyway), Colts (still too many weapons and Garcon is going to improve), or heck, even a gritty team like the Steelers or Ravens (or say like the Falcons who also beat them) that really live by running the ball first to set up the pass..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

More to the point, Cromartie is not Revis. That is, if you think Cromartie can cover Garcon one on one, sure, this helps them against the Colts... but I tend to think Garcon will develop more than Cromartie will, and this still doesn't solve for them teh problem of Clark and the running game with Addai and Brown.. a truly 'solid' O and HOF QB like the Colts have will figure out any defense if given enough time. 

Same with the Pats if Welker is back and they get a legit #3 option.. I don't think Cromatrie can 'cover' Welker any better than anyone else, but even if so, whomever the Pats get as their #3, if solid enough, will still cause problems for the Jets if Tom knows enough to just not pick on Revis and just go to Welker and #3 guy.