CROWD NOISE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

CROWD NOISE!

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has an idea as to who the crowd in England will be cheering for.  I know that some stadiums in the NFL (Minnesota, KC, the Colts pumped in sound) truly give the home team an advantage.  I just haven't heard any reports as to who the England fans will be rooting for.

Your opinions....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillsHoody. Show BillsHoody's posts

Re: CROWD NOISE!

In Response to CROWD NOISE!:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has an idea as to who the crowd in England will be cheering for.  I know that some stadiums in the NFL (Minnesota, KC, the Colts pumped in sound) truly give the home team an advantage.  I just haven't heard any reports as to who the England fans will be rooting for. Your opinions....
    Posted by ALLDAWAYPATS

pats r the most popular team in the UK due to the 3 championships, Brady being a celeb (brits are celeb crazy), and possibly the fact we have the word England in our name.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Another thread had PatsfanUK (who's going) saying that 70% of the 80K would be behind the Pats. Reason being they've only been exposed to the NFL for the past decade and the Pats have been the team during that spell. Also like hoody says, they love the celeb dirt. 
    My fear is do they know when to cheer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Sam brings up a very good point.

Who the fans are rooting for is only important if the fans understand when it is appropriate to try to disrupt the play with noise and when it is not.

I have a hard time believing that there will be enough passion in the stands at Wembley to matter much either way, but I would also be very surprised if those fans understand the American game to the extent required to be a "home field advantage" for either team.

Heaven knows, I've been in enough stadiums right here in the states where the home fans didn't seem to understand the concept.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedcoat. Show TheRedcoat's posts

What a load of typical US myopic rubbish.

I love the USA, its energy and enthusiasm but good grief, most of you guys can't see any further than the coast.

I've watched football in the UK now for 25 years and supported the Pats for the whole of that time. I come to Gillette once, sometimes twice a year and have done my fair share of cheering, especially when the opposition QB is calling an audible. In fact, if truth be told, half the time I'm there giving it my all and all the Bostonians around me are as vocal as muslim in Guantanamo Bay or an Englishman at a certain tea party!

Its supposed to be a home for the Bucs, so the Pats shouldnt expect 'home' support and plan accordingly. They will get it though, and funnily enough, everybody will know exactly when to cheer.... and not boo, like the mindless minority did to Maroney a few weeks ago.

Pathetic discussion this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillsHoody. Show BillsHoody's posts

In Response to Re: CROWD NOISE!:
    What a load of typical US myopic rubbish. I love the USA, its energy and enthusiasm but good grief, most of you guys can't see any further than the coast.   I've watched football in the UK now for 25 years and supported the Pats for the whole of that time. I come to Gillette once, sometimes twice a year and have done my fair share of cheering, especially when the opposition QB is calling an audible. In fact, if truth be told, half the time I'm there giving it my all and all the Bostonians around me are as vocal as muslim in Guantanamo Bay or an Englishman at a certain tea party! Its supposed to be a home for the Bucs, so the Pats shouldnt expect 'home' support and plan accordingly. They will get it though, and funnily enough, everybody will know exactly when to cheer.... and not boo, like the mindless minority did to Maroney a few weeks ago. Pathetic discussion this.
    Posted by TheRedcoat

i been stationed here in suffolk since 2006 and at least in these parts you r a minority. i admitt some brits know more then we give them credit for with the NFL on sky sports but by the analysis alone its pretty primitive knowledge....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

What a load of typical US myopic rubbish. I love the USA, its energy and enthusiasm but good grief, most of you guys can't see any further than the coast.   I've watched football in the UK now for 25 years and supported the Pats for the whole of that time. I come to Gillette once, sometimes twice a year and have done my fair share of cheering, especially when the opposition QB is calling an audible. In fact, if truth be told, half the time I'm there giving it my all and all the Bostonians around me are as vocal as muslim in Guantanamo Bay or an Englishman at a certain tea party! Its supposed to be a home for the Bucs, so the Pats shouldnt expect 'home' support and plan accordingly. They will get it though, and funnily enough, everybody will know exactly when to cheer.... and not boo, like the mindless minority did to Maroney a few weeks ago. Pathetic discussion this.
    Posted by TheRedcoat

While I enjoy your passion, the safe bet would be that you are wrong.  I predict crowd noise not being an advantage either way...  There is no way crowds that get a chance to go to a NFL game once a year really know how to effect a game.  BTW redcoat booing is needed at times, and to say the fans at home games at the razor aren't making noise, you must be deaf and blind...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

From the last couple games I've seen played over there, the fans cheer on almost every down like it was soccer.

One thing of note is that they appearently have been whole bars spriniging up catered to the Pats and showing games on tv. Football is really starting to hit it big over there, so who know maybe they will

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Sam brings up a very good point. Who the fans are rooting for is only important if the fans understand when it is appropriate to try to disrupt the play with noise and when it is not. I have a hard time believing that there will be enough passion in the stands at Wembley to matter much either way, but I would also be very surprised if those fans understand the American game to the extent required to be a "home field advantage" for either team. Heaven knows, I've been in enough stadiums right here in the states where the home fans didn't seem to understand the concept.
    Posted by prairiemike

You do realize that Patriots fans at Gillette country club don't really know when to cheer, either, right?  Damn fools start trying to make noise when Brady's trying to orchestrate a 3rd-and-short, which results in the few old-timers who can still afford to go to games trying to quiet the rest of the crowd.  They then proceed to keep their mouths shut when the team needs them most, like when the defense is trying to make a stop on 3rd and 4th downs.

I don't think it'll be any worse than Foxborough, and I think random crowd noise and excitement from people wearing Patriots gear would be better and create more energy for the team than the general silence here in New England.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to CROWD NOISE! : pats r the most popular team in the UK due to the 3 championships, Brady being a celeb (brits are celeb crazy), and possibly the fact we have the word England in our name.
    Posted by BillsHoody

I thought you guys might find this interesting - it builds on BillsHoody's point that having the word England in their name drums up support for the Patriots in that country.

There are studies that prove that people do like other people whose name is the same or similar to theirs.  Check out Robert Cialdini's book Influence: Science and Practice.  Another excellent book that was edited by Cialdini is Noah J. Goldstein's Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be More Persuasive.  This is an excerpt from page 151 of Influence:
    "As trivial as ... similarities may seem [to affect people liking someone or something], they appear to work (Brewer, 1979; Tajfel 1981)
    Another researcher was able to significantly increase the percentage of people who responded to a mailed survey by changing one small feature of the request: On a cover letter, he modified the name of the survey-taker to be similar to that of the survey recipient.  Thus, Robert Greer received the survey from a survey center official named Bob Gregar while Cynthia Johnston received hers from a survey center official named Cindy Johanson.  In two separate studies, adding this little bit of similarity to the exchange nearly doubled survey compliance (Garner 1999)."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanUK. Show PatsFanUK's posts

Another thread had PatsfanUK (who's going) saying that 70% of the 80K would be behind the Pats. Reason being they've only been exposed to the NFL for the past decade and the Pats have been the team during that spell. Also like hoody says, they love the celeb dirt.  My fear is do they know when to cheer?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Yeah - I'll stand by my prediction of a 70/30 split in the Patriots favour.

As for cheering at the right time, don't forget - this isn't just a bunch of Brits walking in off the street curious to see what all the fuss is about. These are fans of the NFL who watch the game every week and have a pretty good understanding of how the game works. The game sold out in 6 minutes - I doubt those buying the tickets only have a fleeting interest in the game?

By the way, we've had the NFL on TV here in the UK since about the mid 80s (when I started watching it). There are doubleheaders shown live every Sunday evening (given the time difference) on Sky Sports, and you can bet that viewers of that show will be the ones attending on Sunday. (Thank God for the NFL Game Pass!)

There will be plenty of cheering, and typically at the right time. We may not all recognise badly called penalties all the time, but we won't be far off. Wembley has pretty good acoustics (better than Gillette anyway - having a roof helps for a start), so expect to hear the crowd pretty much as you would a normal game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Posted by TheRedcoat

Agree with this and PatsFanUK's comment.  Fans at Gillette are pretty quiet compared to other places around the league.  Especially if the Pats are behind.  It can be like a morgue in there.    I know this has been discussed in the past.  I think the fans in general at Gillette are not the most raucous in the league.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Posted by TheRedcoat

Come on Redcoat!!! We know everthing about everything, we are Yanks after all, just ask us. :)

Good Post

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to CROWD NOISE!:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has an idea as to who the crowd in England will be cheering for.  I know that some stadiums in the NFL (Minnesota, KC, the Colts pumped in sound) truly give the home team an advantage.  I just haven't heard any reports as to who the England fans will be rooting for. Your opinions....
    Posted by ALLDAWAYPATS

I would suspect that much like any other sports fans the Brits are front runners and will probably be routing for the Pats because they have more recent Super Bowls. However I don't expect them to be cheering they way they would at a soccer game and I'm sure they don't have the concept of cheering when your team is on defense and being quiet when they are on offense so I wouldn't expect crowd noise to be a factor

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Posted by TheRedcoat

Are you trying to say that Muslims at Guantanamo bay aren't loud? You could hear them screaming for miles especially when they were being waterboarded.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: CROWD NOISE! : Are you trying to say that Muslims at Guantanamo bay aren't loud? You could hear them screaming for miles especially when they were being waterboarded.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Yeah but that is good screaming

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BillsHoody. Show BillsHoody's posts

In Response to Re: CROWD NOISE! : Yeah but that is good screaming
    Posted by gmbill

actually i thinks its more of a gurgling sound....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Lets put it this way, Last year I went to tthe Chargers game (I live in Tucson AZ) and ran into several Pats fans I talked too and they were all English and say they fly over at least once a year to see them play. They actually see more Pats games live then I do!!!! :)

Go Pats!!!

Sections
Shortcuts