Cunningham and Brace?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Cunningham and Brace?

Anybody have any insight on what seems to me the disappearance of two promising players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Cunningham and Brace?

Brace has less promise then Deadrick as a rusher and Love as a run defender

Cunningham can't cover and can't rush any better then Nin, Carter, or Anderson

I don't see either lasting past this year as they have taken significant steps backwards from last year unless they make a strong showing in the playoffs truthfully

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Cunningham and Brace?:
    Anybody have any insight on what seems to me the disappearance of two promising players.
    Posted by dustcover

BB must be stashing them because they are the only 2 players NOT listed on the injury report.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Funny, as I read this the name Shawn Crable instantly came to mind. Haven't thought about him in forever! Not a good thought either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I buy Mike Reiss' take on Cunningham, that he's been hurt and he's just not better than Carter.  I think he showed enough promise as a rookie that he'll get one more shot in training camp next year.  Brace seems to be an early down rotational guy at best, he can stuff the run, but his injury was more serious than was believed.  I'd say he's in camp next year too.  One or both could be gone though as the roster takes shape next year in my opinion. 

The average career is what, 2-3 years?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Brace is worth keeping if he has a clean bill of health. I feel if they do their job in the draft then Cunningham has no place here next year. I would hope to draft a more talented guy to take over for Carter and we still dont know that he will be resigned even tho' it seems to be no brainer.

Cunningham looks much slower than last year and I assume its because he isnt gonna be a 3-4 backer anymore and is now a 4-3 DE, but I think they messed him up. He is confused now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Cunningham and Brace?:
    Brace has less promise then Deadrick as a rusher and Love as a run defender Cunningham can't cover and can't rush any better then Nin, Carter, or Anderson I don't see either lasting past this year as they have taken significant steps backwards from last year unless they make a strong showing in the playoffs truthfully
    Posted by PatsEng

Absolutely agree. Deaderick has shown better than Brace and Cunningham as a 4-3 DE. In fact, I was very surprised at how well he played in this spot. That said, I still think Deaderick is a depth guy, and they need to take or sign another 4-3 DE next year if they don't resign Carter. Carter is key in my mind, and I would look at replacing Anderson.

Brace I just don't know about. When healthy, I think he can be good, but I put Pryor over him at 4-3 DT. Brace has value in the 3-4 as an NT and DE, but not a tremendous amount. I like Pryor if he can stay healthy, but again, want to see the 4-3 DT position upgraded significantly. I still think the guys we have less VW are depth/rotational guys..even Love.

Our line would be much improved if we;
    1. Kept Carter at 4-3 DE
    2. Drafted a kid like Ingram or Curry to play the other DE spot
    3. Grabbed a kid like Billy Winn to play inside next to VW, or signed a better FA than Ellis, Warren, Haynesworth.

The above gives us speed all over the line, plus guys really adept at penetrating and getting after the paser. Compliment this with a good LB or 2, and our front 7 looks much better.

I give Brace and Cunningham 1 more year, or at least through training camp next year. I don't think either will be let go in the offseason. BB makes the determination in camp next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

<<I give Brace and Cunningham 1 more year, or at least through training camp next year. I don't think either will be let go in the offseason. BB makes the determination in camp next year. >> PatsLifer

I'm inclined to believe that this is the bottom line.  Brace has been hurt, Cunningham has been disappointing even when healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I see these two guys as just stuck on the depth chart. I hope they stay ready since we may need them if someone sprains an ankle or tweaks a hammie...(knock on wood ). Only 11 guys can play at a time ... As a backup it must be a challenge to stay hungry if you're battling injuries and the perceptions that go along with players that underachieve. Until they get in there in meaningful situations... I like to think we're a deep team and those guys will step up when they are called on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Brace will not stand out on film, run stuffers rarely get noticed.  Cunningham I think is odd man out because we rarely play a 3/4 and he is an outside backer and/or has been injured.  If Cunningham is let go it won't surprise me but Brace has value as far a I can see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Wozzy...I see what your saying, but Cunningham played 4-3 DE at Florida. He had to learn a new position last year, but how hard can it be to be put back into the position you spent 4 years in college playing? Is he just not as good as Anderson, Deaderick or Carter at this spot?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'll say this about this:

You've got an interesting interpretation of the word "promising."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wozzy...I see what your saying, but Cunningham played 4-3 DE at Florida. He had to learn a new position last year, but how hard can it be to be put back into the position you spent 4 years in college playing? Is he just not as good as Anderson, Deaderick or Carter at this spot?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Yeah he did, he just doesn't have the computer numbers (size wise) that you look for at the position. I thought I saw him playing special teams last week and he looked like he gained 30 pounds, if that's the case perhaps they want him to be a 43 end? Still he looks a little short for that as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

He does look chunky and that has made him slower. Not good if he is supposed to be a rusher.

Carter is only 255, so I dont see why they told him that unless he got fat on his own and not by request which would explain a lot.

He came in at 266 and did play his career as a hand in the dirt down lineman in the 4-3 at end so why bulk up?  He would essentially be doing the same thing.

Problem is even with rushing up field every play he only got 7 sacks which is the same amount Crable had in his last year at Michigan, so I think we can say getting 7 sacks in college does not make you an elite NFL rusher.

I think he can be a spot player but he is not what we thought he was. An answer to our pass rush problems.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

My thoughts, is the 4 3 will go away next year and we will revert back to a 3/4 if Bill gets who he wants in the draft, that said, if we revert back to a 3/4 then Cunningham and Brace remain, if not then they will be waived or traded depending on where their contract stands.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

He does look chunky and that has made him slower. Not good if he is supposed to be a rusher. Carter is only 255, so I dont see why they told him that unless he got fat on his own and not by request which would explain a lot. He came in at 266 and did play his career as a hand in the dirt down lineman in the 4-3 at end so why bulk up?  He would essentially be doing the same thing. Problem is even with rushing up field every play he only got 7 sacks which is the same amount Crable had in his last year at Michigan, so I think we can say getting 7 sacks in college does not make you an elite NFL rusher. I think he can be a spot player but he is not what we thought he was. An answer to our pass rush problems.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Yeah 7 sacks or any sack totals in college probably don't mean all that much; you could have only three and if you're good enough to be double teamed every play that's what matters. Cunningham looked like a one trick pony in college (up field speed that took him out of many plays), now he gains weight and loses some of that...hope he has improved his moves.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

My thoughts, is the 4 3 will go away next year and we will revert back to a 3/4 if Bill gets who he wants in the draft, that said, if we revert back to a 3/4 then Cunningham and Brace remain, if not then they will be waived or traded depending on where their contract stands.
    Posted by jjbag

Yeah this is probably not far off.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Dude. Cunningham stinks. Sorry. 

I mean one sack last year right?

Anderson and Carter are both shooting for someting like 14 apiece. 

Night and day. Right, so Anderson might not set as good an edge ... but he is so much better as a rusher that it negates it. 

Brace, I think, still has value. At least from the way BB has held him here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Posted by PatsLifer

Short answer Cunningham played well last year in a two point stance, he made good plays on the edge and was a solid tackler, he didn't play a lot though.  College and Pros are night and day...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I'll say this about this: You've got an interesting interpretation of the word "promising."
    Posted by p-mike

Promising:

1. your mother thinks you are potentially an All-pro.
    2. local high school has at least 3 trophies attributed to you
    3. local Lions Club has an annual golf tournament under your name
    4. former coach in Pee-Wee league still speaks of your athleticism
    5. All of the above

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He does look chunky and that has made him slower. Not good if he is supposed to be a rusher. Carter is only 255, so I dont see why they told him that unless he got fat on his own and not by request which would explain a lot. He came in at 266 and did play his career as a hand in the dirt down lineman in the 4-3 at end so why bulk up?  He would essentially be doing the same thing. Problem is even with rushing up field every play he only got 7 sacks which is the same amount Crable had in his last year at Michigan, so I think we can say getting 7 sacks in college does not make you an elite NFL rusher. I think he can be a spot player but he is not what we thought he was. An answer to our pass rush problems.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

College pass rushers are really hard to figure out. Some of them get very few sacks and turn out great, and others with a bunch are total stiffs.

College, almost more than the pros, is about total talent on the field. 

Cunningham was the weaker end on that Florida front ... he was held up by superior play around him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

In Response to Re: Cunningham and Brace? : Promising: your mother thinks you are potentially an All-pro. local high school has at least 3 trophies attributed to you local Lions Club has an annual golf tournament under your name former coach in Pee-Wee league still speaks of your athleticism All of the above
    Posted by dustcover

Promising................"If you show me yours.....I'll show u mine!!!"""

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mojobag101. Show mojobag101's posts

.............I PROMISE!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

hilarious...   as bill said to female reporter when she made a stupid assumption, " i just dont see it that way"....  interpretation: shut up you dont know what your talking about....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

hilarious...   as bill said to female reporter when she made a stupid assumption, " i just dont see it that way"....  interpretation: shut up you dont know what your talking about....
    Posted by jcour382

"Promising" - If you want to hook the big ones, you've got to bait the hook.

Sections
Shortcuts