Cunningham play a penalty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Cunningham play a penalty?

Just read an article that brought up the point.

Was there a difference between the Cunningham play and Bernard Pollard play on Brady.

From what I saw, Cunningham lunged at Sanchez's legs the same way Pollard did. Only difference was that Sanchez didn't get hurt.

Was the play dirty? If not, can we consider the Pollard play dirty?

I think the Pats lucked out that this was not a penalty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: Cunningham play a penalty?

Surely, you jest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Jest being the operative word. No comparison between the plays whatsoever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Explain how there's no comparison after watching the clips. Have some objectivity.

Had that play been with Brady at QB, people wouldve been calling the defender dirty.

Why is it that whenever someone brings a point of view from the other side he is considered a jest?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Hey dapats, why don't you post the links of the video clips you're looking at.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I could be wrong but Sanchez dropped straight back ( 4 steps?) and when the rush was coming by Cunningham he took a few more steps backward to avoid the sack.  He was a good ten yards behind the line of scrimmage at that point.  I think once he started backpedaling away from the pressure it becomes more like a scramble because he wasn't stepping up into the pocket.  I believe that once it's considered a scramble you can go below the waist of the QB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

if you have a video please post it....i dont know which play you are talking about

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

if you have a video please post it....i dont know which play you are talking about

I was just going by memory and the many times I saw the replay after the game so take it for what it's worth. 

I know, not much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

If thats true the Pollard play wasn't even a penalty.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Pollard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7aVe_Ge09U

Cunningham:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CqriCQG4BM

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

wow, thanks....i didnt realize it was on the last play of the game, i only remember seeing ninkovich coming off the edge

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

At the time Pollard's hit wasn't a penalty but would be considered one today.  The difference being that Brady was stepping up into the pocket and into a throw.  No?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The video was to blurry to tell what happened. Did he lunge or was he falling because of the block. He never seemed to get near the knee. He seemed to be trying to get his feet but the clip was to blurry. Salcon is right. Pollards play was rightfully not a penalty back then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Pollard intentionally lunges at Brady's knees. I think there was intent to injure (given the player's history).

Cunningham seems to go after Sanchez's feet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

At the time Pollard's hit wasn't a penalty but would be considered one today.  The difference being that Brady was stepping up into the pocket and into a throw.  No?

Oh Okay, got it thanks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the comments on that brady injury video are just disgraceful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

No.  Cunningham did not lunge.  He was on the ground and GRABBED, not HIT, Sanchez's ankle.

Pollard launched himself at Brady's knees with intent to injure.

No comparison between the two. None.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Pollard actually led with his helmet.  I know he had his arms out but he made sure his helmet hit first.  That actually is spearing and should have been a penalty but its was a dirty by any standard.

When he did his rodeo take down of Gronk he swung his body to roll on top of Gronk's legs.  This technique to cause injury is not an accident.  This guy is dirty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

No.  Cunningham did not lunge.  He was on the ground and GRABBED, not HIT, Sanchez's ankle.

Pollard launched himself at Brady's knees with intent to injure.

No comparison between the two. None.

thanks for clarifying for others

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Pollard actually led with his helmet.  I know he had his arms out but he made sure his helmet hit first.  That actually is spearing and should have been a penalty but its was a dirty by any standard.

When he did his rodeo take down of Gronk he swung his body to roll on top of Gronk's legs.  This technique to cause injury is not an accident.  This guy is dirty.

Good point. It's no coincidence that so many guys get hurt when facing Pollard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

The Brady rule...i'm pretty sure also states that the defender when blocked to the ground cannot lunge at the lower leg of the QB. Cunningham was never on the floor unlike Pollard and this is the point that makes Pollard so much worse. In my opinion it's the point that proves pure malice on Pollard's part

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inokea4coolaid. Show Inokea4coolaid's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Pollard intentionally lunges at Brady's knees. I think there was intent to injure (given the player's history).

Cunningham seems to go after Sanchez's feet.

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

absolutely no difference in the plays themselves.  

There is however a difference in the rules in place, and Cunningham got away with a penalty.  

I said it at the time and even received a response from a couple of people.  Cunningham was on the ground and lunged at Sanchez in the same way Pollard did with Brady.  

I don't think there was injury intent on either players minds.  They have a job to do which is to tackle the player with the ball and play to the whistle.  That said, as a result of the brady play, a rule was made about lunging at a QB below the waist.  

The flag should have been thrown, yards marked off and another run, but that didn't happen.  Good fortune for the pats.  

No angst here.  that's just the way the game goes sometimes.  That said, honest pats fans would not fool themselves about this play.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

absolutely no difference in the plays themselves.  

There is however a difference in the rules in place, and Cunningham got away with a penalty.  

I said it at the time and even received a response from a couple of people.  Cunningham was on the ground and lunged at Sanchez in the same way Pollard did with Brady.  

I don't think there was injury intent on either players minds.  They have a job to do which is to tackle the player with the ball and play to the whistle.  That said, as a result of the brady play, a rule was made about lunging at a QB below the waist.  

The flag should have been thrown, yards marked off and another run, but that didn't happen.  Good fortune for the pats.  

No angst here.  that's just the way the game goes sometimes.  That said, honest pats fans would not fool themselves about this play.  

Spare us the lecture about honest pats fans. You have as much of an agenda as anyone on this board. The primary difference between this play and the Pollard play is that Cunningham had a hold of Sanchez before he lunged forward. He had him by the foot area and was attempting to complete the tackle as Sanchez was falling backwards. Pollard was nowhere near Brady when he lunged. The Brady rule only applies when the defender is on the ground and out of the play. It is not nearly as cut and dried as you claim.

Sections
Shortcuts