Cunningham

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Cunningham

Is it just me or has Cunningham completely flown under the radar. I have found quite a few articles on position battles at ILB regarding Spikes, WR regarding Price, CB regarding McCourty and everywhere you look there is a TE preview with Gronk and Hernandez.

The biggest question we have on defense is at OLB where TBC and Burgess seem to be the potential starters neither of whom, anybody feels really comfortable playing all 3 downs. Shouldn't Cunningham have a little more buzz around him? Is the reason we are not talking about this guy because we do not want to jinx it or something? His development is probably more crucial than any other young player on the team. I mean we have very serviceable starters at ILB in Mayo and Guyton, at CB with Bodden and the ascending Butler, at WR with Moss Welker/Edelman and Holt, at Safety with Merriweather and Sanders/McGowan, yet everyone seems to be talking about Spikes and Mackenzie, McCourty, Tate and Price and of course Chung at Safety. There are big questions at both OLB, where our two "starters" seem to be more DEs in a 43 than 34 OLBs.

That is my rant. Just wanted to remind everyone on here we did draft Jermaine Cunningham. He is vying for one of the two very open starter spots at OLB. Was hoping someone who knows a little bit more about him could get the discussion going here...

http://www.newerascouting.com/01/jermaine-cunningham-scouting-report/

I'll even get the ball rolling with a link....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Cunningham

I think we are all hoping, but at the same time assuming it will take him a year or so to really shine.  I think he will be a 3 down OLB in the future and solid on both run and passing downs.  I dont at this time see him as a pass rush monster, but he will be very very good in all aspects of the game.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

He has flown a bit under the radar.  I don't know why, I happen to agree with those that say the expectations for a rookie OLB are low.  Although I think he has one of the best chances for success this year from the rookies.  He's been healthy and he is not facing stiff competition for a starting job. 

One of the things that creates busts is never being able to beat out starter for a thier job.  In that sense Spikes or Mckenzie could be doomed for failure in a job where only 2 ILB'ers will start(assuming Mayo retains his position).  Cunningham on the other hand primarily needs to beat out TBC or Ninkovich.  He should get a fair chance to make an impact this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Dunlap has made him a shadow and thats probably why the dude was always a beast with Florida. 

Cunningham has a really good shot at taking Derricks spot right away and doing damage from day 1. Hes a better version of Clay Matthews.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Cunningham has to make the transition to OLB in the 3-4. He was a defensive end at Florida. He's coming to a new system. Spikes is being asked to play a position he is comfortable with ILB. I think it took Willie McGinest and Teddy Bruschi some time to settle in to the 3-4 defense. Bottom line- The NFL has turned into a pure passing league and I sure hope that Belichick finds a couple edge rushers fast! We have not put much pressure on opposing QBs. It's the reason we went for it on 4th and 2 at the 25 yard line against the Colts last year! That's my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Cunningham:
    Pancake, while I agree Dunlap got all the credit in the media, it seems the majority of scouts had him rated higher than Dunlap. I've seen his measurables listed at 6'3" and 252lbs. I've also seen 6'4" and 266lbs. Anybody know exactly where he is at? Have read his 40 time was almost 4.89seconds. Is that really any noticeable difference from Spikes' time which I thought was 5.01 and was considered by many as too slow??
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

Just out of curiosity where are you from?  I'm from the Bangor area but I'm in Germany now (Army).  I have family in Rockland.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's the 6th player on the OLB roster.

Banta-Cain
    Burgess
    Ninkovich
    Woods
    Crable
    Cunningham 

How much pub do you want about him? We all know how hard it is to beat out a veteran in Belichick's system, but we start panicking when we don't get any news on a player. 

Relax, and if I'm telling you this you should relax. Cunnginham is competing with my new favorite Patriots LB (Crable), I fully expect Crable to beat him out--I expect Crable to beat out Banta-Cain, too--but that's only due to the fact that Crable has had 3 years in the system, Woods 4, Rob and Burgess 1, and Banta-Cain 5. 

He'll get a spot. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

...It's the reason we went for it on 4th and 2 at the 25 yard line against the Colts last year! That's my opinion.
    Posted by RonF

that's an excellent opinion though. i think you hit it right on the head. 

and when i look at the first 4 olbs on the roster (or all the way to cunningham), i still get concerned. i believe that the starting olbs need to be much much better that last year. i am not seeing any indication that any pair on that list would raise the starting olb pair's performance significantly. i am really hoping that i am wrong to be concerned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

We are very weak at both OLB positions. Shouldn't Cunningham even as a rookie have a better chance at cracking the lineup than Spikes who has Mayo the guaranteed starter, Guyton the I played 90% of Defensive snaps last year and guaranteed 3rd down LB and potentially Mackenzie who has a full year in the playbook. Chung has two other potential starters Sanders/McGowan, both of whom I would feel comfortable with. We know Vollmer has to start on the line somewhere regardless if Mankins comes back. All I'm saying is Cunningham has a shot to start because the competition at his position is relatively weak. TBC is a nickel rushing role player and Burgess, an aging DE, was much of the same last year. The only problem is these two seem to be our 3 down OLBs. Cunningham, a high draft pick plays OLB and at Florida, with one of the nation's best defenses, was considered arguably to be their best defensive player. So where is all the buzz for this guy? Russ, before Mayo the same could be said for ILB. OLB Clay Matthews, DE/OLB Brian Orakpo and DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley all had great rookie seasons. I do agree pass rushers have a hard time their rookie season but why is Cunningham getting a free ride. He got drafted in the second round to be a playmaking starter, didn't he? Well, the starter spot is there for the taking.

Good point. He's definately going to have some impact at the OLB position as, let's face it, Burgess and TBC are JAGs. Cunningham should be getting some significant playing time in their positions, especially towards the end of the season.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Cunningham and all our rooks and IR "red shirts" can do on the field this year!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

The reason Cunningham does not come with Higher expectation is because His production was not nearly where it should of been in college. You forget that Dunlap absorbed alot of DBL teams. That should of given Cunningham more opportunity to get after the QB. My Take on Cunningham is this. He has all the Physical tools, I feel like he may be a much better Pro than he was in college. Remains to be seen if he has the explosion off the Edge that makes a great OLB in the 3-4.Make no mistake he will not be taking over for Burgess, not right away anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

During Floridas season and even the draft talks alot of talks were on Dunlap and him being one of the most interesting prospects in the entire draft which I disagree with. To me its pretty simple with Dunlap if he gets into a losing situation this is a guy who is going to half a it around the field. 

Cunningham probably plays at about 270-280 he is 6'3. Also 49Patriot get real. Cunningham is a guy who was already getting more snaps in camps than Crable and was on the back end of things in mini camps. Crable could be something good but to say hes just going to beat out guys is silly dude. Crable is going to be competing with TBC for his spot while Jermaine competes with Burgess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Cunningham plays on third and long with the first defense on this August 12. 

A.  He can play.  He's big. 

--oops I got distracted for 4 hours.---

B.  He's got moves now.  He's fast enough to get around the end, he's big enough to bull rush, he can swim, he can rip.

C.  He's from florida so he can fit right in to the Patriots.

D.  He probably shouldn't drop into coverage too often.  If he does, BB will have to keep things vanilla.  He's still a rookie.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Tully Banta got almost all of his sacks from the Bills. You ask how many of those sacks came against the Bills? 5 of his 9.5 sacks came against the Bills.

Tully and Derricks jobs are in jeopardy big time

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

I'm with everything everyone has already said

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

See Paul I would rather him play on early downs an have him come off the field in the obvious passing situation. Drop TBC back on the field to do what he does best. Rush the passer. This would keep him fresh for when we need him most and allow Cunningham some very important playing time, which if done properly throughout the season could give him a more expanded role come January... All I'm really getting at is we need this kid to develop and develop quickly. I know some people are down on Crable and expect him to be axed this season, some are hopeful that he turns into the player we all thought he would. Cunningham is brand new to this team and should be expected to produce. As for Crable's injuries, is it possible that he is not made of glass and was placed on IR to redshirt him until he put some weight on and learned some of the playbook. I always had a feeling it was something else than injuries. I mean c'mon shin splints puts you our for the year??

Did you miss my post or do you not want to give away your secret identity?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Bump

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm going to be honest here. I don't have the highest expectations for Cunningham and I think he has fair bust potential. I really hope I'm wrong, but I didn't see anything special from him when I watched the Florida games or even highlight reels. To be fair haven't seen a whole lot of their games, so I'm not very qualified to make a grand assessment of him. He just seems very risky to me.

However, I do think he'll have a fair share of snaps during the season. If he has a good camp I could definitely see him subbing in quite often, but not starting early on due to his lack of experience in the system and NFL. If he plays well while he subs I could see him as a starter late this season or next year. It would be great if he pans out, and he certainly could. I'm just not going to get my hopes up too high.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Most of us were shocked when he was selected in the middle of the 2nd round.

The tape we see on Youtube is not spectacular.

But I thought the same thing about Vollmer last year....so I'll just wait and see what happens.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

BB's close relationship with his college coach gives me high hopes that BB got some good info on Cunningham's potential.  For that same reason, if he is a bust it it will be somewhat less excusable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Cunningham is a head scratcher to me, and was since the day the Pats drafted in him in round 2. When the pats selected him, like everyone, I poured over his "game tapes" to see just how good he was, or what BB saw in him, because he wasn't even mentioned by anyone as a potential 2nd round talent. 

I'm no NFL scout, but I can't see for the life of me why Cunningham was drafted in round 2. I just didn't see anything that made me have confidence that he could come in and contribute in a big way right away. I think he will see some action this year, but it will be behind TBC, Burgess, Ninkovich and perhaps Guyton. I do think he can be better than Woods this year, and I'm not a fan of Crable, so put him ahead of Crable as well. 

Once again, we are left with TBC and Burgess I believe as our starters come opening day. Not exactly outstanding, but should be capable mixing in Guyton and Ninkovich and possibly Cunningham from time to time. 

What intrigues me more is looking at the LB corps in general. By all accounts, we should have 1 solid guy in the middle with Mayo, possibly 2 good ILBs with Spikes and McKenzie and Guyton as a situational / passing down ILB/OLB. Could we possibly see one of these guys kicked out to OLB, perhaps McKenzie. He is after all the same size as TBC, probably faster/quicker at this stage in his career, and I'm guessing he could set the edge pretty stoutly. 

The way I have it now in terms of order/ranking/% of snaps;
    TBC (60% of snaps)
    Burgess (50% of snaps)
    Guyton (25% of snaps outside, 30% of snaps inside)(big ?..does he stay as alongside Mayo to start inside, or does he become more a situational guy on nickel packages and passing downs?)
    Ninkovich (25% of snaps)
    Cunningham (20% of snaps)/Woods (10% of snaps) (tied. Woods hit ceiling already, I think Cunningham could pass him up)
    Crable (your guess is as good as mine)

I don't know if all the percentages add up, but you get the idea

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Cunningham is a head scratcher to me, and was since the day the Pats drafted in him in round 2. When the pats selected him, like everyone, I poured over his "game tapes" to see just how good he was, or what BB saw in him, because he wasn't even mentioned by anyone as a potential 2nd round talent.  I'm no NFL scout, but I can't see for the life of me why Cunningham was drafted in round 2. I just didn't see anything that made me have confidence that he could come in and contribute in a big way right away. I think he will see some action this year, but it will be behind TBC, Burgess, Ninkovich and perhaps Guyton. I do think he can be better than Woods this year, and I'm not a fan of Crable, so put him ahead of Crable as well.  Once again, we are left with TBC and Burgess I believe as our starters come opening day. Not exactly outstanding, but should be capable mixing in Guyton and Ninkovich and possibly Cunningham from time to time.  What intrigues me more is looking at the LB corps in general. By all accounts, we should have 1 solid guy in the middle with Mayo, possibly 2 good ILBs with Spikes and McKenzie and Guyton as a situational / passing down ILB/OLB. Could we possibly see one of these guys kicked out to OLB, perhaps McKenzie. He is after all the same size as TBC, probably faster/quicker at this stage in his career, and I'm guessing he could set the edge pretty stoutly.  The way I have it now in terms of order/ranking/% of snaps; TBC (60% of snaps) Burgess (50% of snaps) Guyton (25% of snaps outside, 30% of snaps inside)(big ?..does he stay as alongside Mayo to start inside, or does he become more a situational guy on nickel packages and passing downs?) Ninkovich (25% of snaps) Cunningham (20% of snaps)/Woods (10% of snaps) (tied. Woods hit ceiling already, I think Cunningham could pass him up) Crable (your guess is as good as mine) I don't know if all the percentages add up, but you get the idea
    Posted by PatsLifer

You didn't see any mock drafts with Cunningham as a 2nd rounder? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Cunningham:
    Is it just me or has Cunningham completely flown under the radar. I have found quite a few articles on position battles at ILB regarding Spikes, WR regarding Price, CB regarding McCourty and everywhere you look there is a TE preview with Gronk and Hernandez. The biggest question we have on defense is at OLB where TBC and Burgess seem to be the potential starters neither of whom, anybody feels really comfortable playing all 3 downs. Shouldn't Cunningham have a little more buzz around him? Is the reason we are not talking about this guy because we do not want to jinx it or something? His development is probably more crucial than any other young player on the team. I mean we have very serviceable starters at ILB in Mayo and Guyton, at CB with Bodden and the ascending Butler, at WR with Moss Welker/Edelman and Holt, at Safety with Merriweather and Sanders/McGowan, yet everyone seems to be talking about Spikes and Mackenzie, McCourty, Tate and Price and of course Chung at Safety. There are big questions at both OLB, where our two "starters" seem to be more DEs in a 43 than 34 OLBs. That is my rant. Just wanted to remind everyone on here we did draft Jermaine Cunningham. He is vying for one of the two very open starter spots at OLB. Was hoping someone who knows a little bit more about him could get the discussion going here... http://www.newerascouting.com/01/jermaine-cunningham-scouting-report/ I'll even get the ball rolling with a link....

Here's a bunch of scouting reports on Cunningham:

1.) http://www.rookiedraft.com/?p=2035;

2.) http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114592;

3.) http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/16/1250615/jermaine-cunningham-nfl-draft;

4.) http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1723;

5.) http://www.ffmastermind.com/os_view_article.php?id=685

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

With the exception of Mayo, who was the starting MLB from day 1 by default and very deserving of such as well, and perhaps Seymour, Belichick has always preferred playing veterans on defense.  Guys that have experience in his or similar techniques.  I think Cunningham's immediate contributions come in a sub-nickel package along with guys like Mackenzie and McCourty.  However, if there's an injury to a guy like TBC or Burgess I could see his role expanded.  I'm optimistic that Cunningham can become a big time pass rusher in time, but we shouldn't expect too much too soon (see: Patrick Chung).   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

Ask and you shall receive, complements of patriots.com
    http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=generalnewsdetail&pid=43331

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

I'm with Maritime's basic concept here.  OLB is weak, and a second round player should be able to make an impact right off the bat.  His best football is obviously ahead of him, but he seems to be headed in the right direction as Rusty has pointed out with 

"At this point, it's about the player's drive/determination and coachability.  The talent is there, otherwise he wouldn't have been a Div 1 starter in arguably a top 5 program."

Good thread though, fun and informative read!

Sections
Shortcuts