Cunningham

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Cunningham

I was reading the Bio on Fanene and got thinking.  Fanene lost the 2010 season to a hamstring injury.  Cunningham lost this past season due to a hamstring injury.  Is it possible that he might come back and be a factor this year?  Many have written him off but I still think he is going to be a player.  This year could be interesting if any of the IR personnel come back to play.  Cunningham, Barrett, Ras I, and Pryor were supposed to be factors on defense.  All ended up on IR.  Vereen and Ridley basically got redshirted.  Moore looked like a player in the playoffs.  With a deep front 7 draft, this could be the year the defense develops.  I think many teams will be seeing the WR market as overpriced and overdraft the WR position.  If that happens a good defensive player should fall to the Patriots at 27. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Cunningham

He was average his rook year and he didn't go on IR until Dec last year so he had plenty of time to show anything and he couldn't get on the field for more then a couple of snaps a game. If he can even come in for 35% of the snaps as a role player at this point, well it's better then nothing?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To be average as a very raw rookie after declaring as a sophmore...well, that's a pretty good start to me.

He came in to camp out of shape, as MANY players did after the lockout. It's tough to say when the injury started to effect him. I mean, I guess the Pats are usaully so forthright, I guess we can assume he GOT hurt in week 8? Many players had injuries this year that weren't typical, I remember the rash of blown achilles' heels to start the year...I think 7 of them, and I can't remember more than 1 any other season.

I thought I was on an island in my hopes for Cunningham to be a contributor, I'm glad some other fans haven't forgotten about him.

As I said before, he is now the same age as rookies entering the league who declared as seniors. There is PLENTY of time for this kid to grow, I think he's only 22.

I don't know why people are so eager to write him off.

Reminds me of the Doubront situation with the Sox, people were so quick to write him off as nothing more than a reliever, and are now shocked to see him doing well as the potential #5.

I don't know when it happened, but it seems like if a player comes in to Boston and doesn't IMMEDIATELY make an impact, he's viewed as garbage. It took half the fan base 3 years and 2 titles to accept Brady as the starter!

I don't know what people expected out of Cunningham, but his rookie year was promising to me, and his second year was an obvious disappointment as he never really got going. I just think of all the players who have come through NE who took a good 2-4 years to get going.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

He is young and showed enough his rookie year to have some hope that last year was a fluke.  He got hurt and got buried behind Carter.  But this training camp is undoubtedly big for him, same for Ron Brace.  Maybe we'll also see M. Carter emerge too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Cunningham:
    [QUOTE]To be average as a very raw rookie after declaring as a sophmore...well, that's a pretty good start to me. He came in to camp out of shape, as MANY players did after the lockout. It's tough to say when the injury started to effect him. I mean, I guess the Pats are usaully so forthright, I guess we can assume he GOT hurt in week 8? Many players had injuries this year that weren't typical, I remember the rash of blown achilles' heels to start the year...I think 7 of them, and I can't remember more than 1 any other season. I thought I was on an island in my hopes for Cunningham to be a contributor, I'm glad some other fans haven't forgotten about him. As I said before, he is now the same age as rookies entering the league who declared as seniors. There is PLENTY of time for this kid to grow, I think he's only 22. I don't know why people are so eager to write him off. Reminds me of the Doubront situation with the Sox, people were so quick to write him off as nothing more than a reliever, and are now shocked to see him doing well as the potential #5. I don't know when it happened, but it seems like if a player comes in to Boston and doesn't IMMEDIATELY make an impact, he's viewed as garbage. It took half the fan base 3 years and 2 titles to accept Brady as the starter! I don't know what people expected out of Cunningham, but his rookie year was promising to me, and his second year was an obvious disappointment as he never really got going. I just think of all the players who have come through NE who took a good 2-4 years to get going.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure it's writing him off as much as it is tempering expectations at this point. It's true the lack of an off-season could have effected him but that's true of all players around the league and we didn't see as big of a drop off comparatively.

Not only that but when he was on the field it wasn't a matter of lack of conditioning or strength it looked mental a fairly large portion of it. He was out of place, looked absolutely lost at time, and seemed to lose some of the fundamentals he showed in his rook year. That may be due to not having a pre-season but it's still a red flag.

Honestly from his rook year to last year he took a significant step backwards. Hopefully he can bounce back but he has an uphill battle at this point

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Can you name me 1 person, not named Spikes, on the D who got better from 2010 to 2011?

That doesn't include new additions, I mean players on the team in 2010 and 2011.

McCourty got a lot worse.

Bodden got cut.

Mayo and Vince were about the same.

Nonkovich? Not to me.

Chung? Ehhhh.

Arrington? That one is debatable.

My point is, why single out Cunningham for a league-wide issue?

He definitely has to prove it on the field, I agree with you there. He may be a total bum, but I've seen enough to hope for the best. And aside from me, and this one thread, I'm not aware of anyone expecting much out of him, I threw, and will again throw out there I think 8+ sacks if he's healthy...but I'm DEFINITELY in the minority there and admit that, even in a good season, he's probably not going to be on the field to get more than 5/6 unless he exceeds all expectations.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Can you name me 1 person, not named Spikes, on the D who got better from 2010 to 2011? That doesn't include new additions, I mean players on the team in 2010 and 2011. McCourty got a lot worse. Bodden got cut. Mayo and Vince were about the same. Nonkovich? Not to me. Chung? Ehhhh. Arrington? That one is debatable. My point is, why single out Cunningham for a league-wide issue? He definitely has to prove it on the field, I agree with you there. He may be a total bum, but I've seen enough to hope for the best. And aside from me, and this one thread, I'm not aware of anyone expecting much out of him, I threw, and will again throw out there I think 8+ sacks if he's healthy...but I'm DEFINITELY in the minority there and admit that, even in a good season, he's probably not going to be on the field to get more than 5/6 unless he exceeds all expectations.

Chung definitely improved. We had a great example of what his presence meant to the team and the difference in play of teh D as a whole when he was and wasn't on the field.

Nin did improve. He took over the starting OLB role and was much improved controlling the edge in the run game and improved in pass rush (his stats and general game play prove that). He made a giant step from 10' to 11' going from a Fletcher type of role player to someone that people are saying has Vrable upside in a single season. Short of that Wilfork is Wilfork and McCourty took a step back but steadily improved. Everyone else on the D was basically either new or was an aging vet. We had more new players filling roles this past year then we had returning starters lol.

The better question might be other then Cunningham who took a step backwards?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

You make a good point that there actually weren't many holdovers on D from 2010 to 2011.

Ninkovich did marginally improve, I went back and looked at the stats to go with the eye test, and his stats, though small, did improve across the board, so I'll concede that one.

Chung, in the last 3 years, has played, in order, 16, 14 and finally 8 games last year. I'm not giving him credit for any improvement when he's on the field less and less.

McCourty took a HEALTHY step backwards.

Mike Wright went backwards as he could get on the field for only 1 game.

Bodden/Merriweather/Butler ALL got cut, I'd call that 3 very big steps backwards.

So you gave me 1 name that got better (Ninko), and I gave 5 that went backwards, not including Cunningham, or Chung who we disagree on.

It should really have been no surprise the D looked awful when 3/4 of the expected starters in the backfield get either cut, or look like a shell of themselves, and the 4th played half the season.

Their starting D consisted of a lost corner, a nickle back pressed into starting service, a ST (Ihedigbo) pressed into starting time, and 2 WR/ST (Edelman/Slater) splitting time at the other S position! It HAS to get better than that! It can't be THAT BAD again! I think 2011 will be looked upon by historians as "The Great NE Purge" when BB finally got back on track after taking some chances on players he never did in the past, and them blowing up in his face.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If he comes into camp in great shape with the expectation that he will be strictly a situational guy out of the 3-4 OLB spot then he still has promise.

If you try to make him more of a DE (which we hopefully won't need with Carter, Andersen, Fanane, Deaderick) and he has more weight on him than forget about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]You make a good point that there actually weren't many holdovers on D from 2010 to 2011. Ninkovich did marginally improve, I went back and looked at the stats to go with the eye test, and his stats, though small, did improve across the board, so I'll concede that one. Chung, in the last 3 years, has played, in order, 16, 14 and finally 8 games last year. I'm not giving him credit for any improvement when he's on the field less and less. McCourty took a HEALTHY step backwards. Mike Wright went backwards as he could get on the field for only 1 game. Bodden/Merriweather/Butler ALL got cut, I'd call that 3 very big steps backwards. So you gave me 1 name that got better (Ninko), and I gave 5 that went backwards, not including Cunningham, or Chung who we disagree on. It should really have been no surprise the D looked awful when 3/4 of the expected starters in the backfield get either cut, or look like a shell of themselves, and the 4th played half the season. Their starting D consisted of a lost corner, a nickle back pressed into starting service, a ST (Ihedigbo) pressed into starting time, and 2 WR/ST (Edelman/Slater) splitting time at the other S position! It HAS to get better than that! It can't be THAT BAD again! I think 2011 will be looked upon by historians as "The Great NE Purge" when BB finally got back on track after taking some chances on players he never did in the past, and them blowing up in his face.

I count step backwards as performance on the field. Injures happen and that can't be controled so I don't count that as taking a step backwards.

I mean honestly you are going to say Wright took a step backwards because he got another concussion? His play wasn't affect but he couldn't play anymore. Same with Chung yes he didn't play as many games but again I seperate improving and taking a step backwards from injures. His on field play improved. McCourty yes took a step backwards but by the end of the season he almost returned to form.

Out of all the players mentioned only taking on field performance into account I would say only McCourty and Cunningham took a step backwards. On field everyone else got better (save for Bodden but as it turns out he was still playing with an injury at the time). McCourty at least improved as the year went on, Cunningham seemed to get worse by the game and lost BB' trust quickly (reference playing time).

I'd say Cunningham was the only player who lost playing time that wasn't a result from injury of the players returning from the previous season which should speak volumes.

BTW Butler really? He was cut before the regular season. I don't think you can even count him

Sections
Shortcuts