Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Im the REAL KING. Show Im the REAL KING's posts

Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

While we are on down time until the Draft.... 

Everyone is posting where they are from and have moved to, I'm curious to know what music you were born into, and what you changed to.

The Singer/musician you craved, and the ones that caused your ears to bleed!

Being from the Boston area, in the late 60's as a kid it was changing from my parents influence with Country, to the Elvis Presley/ Led Zeppelin Rock.

The 70's it was the Eagles and Heart (Ann and Nancy Wilson) then Van Halen, with the local groups Boston, and the Cars!

the 80's were the big hair bands and watered down Zeppelin wanna be's.

Then (ahhhhhhhhggggggg) Britney Spears and the Disney skanks to follow, Pat Benetar must have been going crazy (shes now 61, still hot and playing in May at the Hard Rock in Orlando Florida, tickets in the front row, (a mere 750 dollars each)

So everyone, lets here your musical past.... as we wait for the Draft!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

I heard Tarkus by ELP.  That turned everything around for me.  Prog rock all the way after that which was very different from what everybody else was listening to.  I still feel I'm alone out there.  Most don't listen to that kind of stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

I grew up on folk with my dad playing the fiddle. Entering my teens, my older brothers were a huge influence on me as they both joined those 12 albums for a penny record clubs. Then it was the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bob Seger, Bad Company, Elton John, the Babys, the Moody Blues, Grand Funk Railroad, Chicago, Three Dog Night and Al Stewart were among my favorites. I hated country music.

In college, my roommate had a couple albums that blew me away, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures by Rush. I've followed them ever since and I was able to see them twice in their prime in the eighties. They are still performing strong into their sixties.

Most people can't get past Geddy's voice or they think they are just a lot of noise but to me it's bliss!

1989 - The Pass
    1991 - Bravado
    2007 - Far Cry
    2007 - The Main Monkey Business
    2011 - The Wreckers
    2011 - The Garden

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I grew up on folk with my dad playing the fiddle. Entering my teens, my older brothers were a huge influence on me as they both joined those 12 albums for a penny record clubs. Then it was the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bob Seger, Bad Company, Elton John, the Babys, the Moody Blues, Grand Funk Railroad, Chicago, Three Dog Night and Al Stewart were among my favorites. I hated country music.

In college, my roommate had a couple albums that blew me away, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures by Rush. I've followed them ever since and I was able to see them twice in their prime in the eighties. They are still performing strong into their sixties.

Most people can't get past Geddy's voice or they think they are just a lot of noise but to me it's bliss!

1989 - The Pass
    1991 - Bravado
    2007 - Far Cry
    2011 - The Wreckers
    2011 - The Garden

[/QUOTE]

Possibly the best drum solo... Neil Peart YYZ

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Yessir!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

In college, my roommate had a couple albums that blew me away, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures by Rush

[/QUOTE]

IMHO Moving Pictures was their best album.   yyz & Vital Signs was some of their best work.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In college, my roommate had a couple albums that blew me away, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures by Rush

[/QUOTE]

IMHO Moving Pictures was their best album.   yyz & Vital Signs was some of their best work.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big rush fan, but Neil Peart is the reason I started playing the drums...the guy is a beast...total beast.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

That's hard to argue. My favorite is Signals. I love the synthy stuff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

[QUOTE]

1989 - The Pass
    1991 - Bravado
    2007 - Far Cry
    2011 - The Wreckers
    2011 - The Garden

[/QUOTE]

I'm a member of that club.  Don't get me wrong, musical taste is a lot like humor - what is "great" for person #1 is sometimes "nothing special" for person #2.  Rush is literally the only rock band that I turn the station in the car when their songs come on.  But they are clearly talented instrumentally.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big rush fan, but Neil Peart is the reason I started playing the drums...the guy is a beast...total beast.

[/QUOTE]

I saw a retrospective on Rush a few years back and Peart talked about his transformation as a drummer over the years. I don't know very much about drumming styles but he said he changed his style after something like 20 years. I found it amazing that perhaps the greatest drummer of all time would make significant changes to the way he played and still be considered among the best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Started in the 70's with Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, Zeppelin, Motorhead then came the 80's Metallica, Anthrex, Slayer throw in a little GnR, Alice in Chains and anything that Rocks.  Those are my roots.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Biggie, Pac, Eminem

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Born in 78 grew up in 80s so 80s rock hair bands looks were crazy but good music,metal mostly metallica and megadeath in the 90s alternative grunge ..always listen to clasic rock from zeplin,clapton,hendrix,beatles etc. And add in Micheal jackson before all the plastic surgery. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I saw a retrospective on Rush a few years back and Peart talked about his transformation as a drummer over the years. I don't know very much about drumming styles but he said he changed his style after something like 20 years. I found it amazing that perhaps the greatest drummer of all time would make significant changes to the way he played and still be considered among the best.

[/QUOTE]

Really he's so good he probably just got bored and decided to change everything up and be amazing another way...which is basically what he did. This guy lost his entire family to a car accident years ago, I'm amazed he can even stand up, never mind play drums.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think it was the early 80's I got my first album...ac/dc for those about to rock. Then I got into Quiet Riot, then Motley Crüe, ratt, Dokken, Quensryche. As I got older I really started to appreciate bands like Led Zeppelin, U2, the stones, etc. Now I like just about everything, except country...I can't listen to that stuff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Now wheres the guy whos going to tell us all our music we listen to sucks ?lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really he's so good he probably just got bored and decided to change everything up and be amazing another way...which is basically what he did. This guy lost his entire family to a car accident years ago, I'm amazed he can even stand up, never mind play drums.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as part of that retrospective they said he got on his motorcycle and drove from Canada to Mexico and back. They only knew where he was through the postmarks on the postcards he sent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Hendrix, Cream, Led Zepp, Steppinwolf, Traffic, BB King,  Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Steve Miller Band, YES, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Creedence Clearwater, NRBQ, Al Stewart, Dire Straights, Johnny Guitar Watson, Sly and the Family Stone, Parliament Funkadelic, Digital Underground, Snoop Dogg (not Lion), Public Enemy, Aerosmith, The Cars, Chicago Transt Authority (as oppossed to Chicago), The Smithereens, Buddy Guy, Steely Dan, Marshall Tucker, Frank Zappa ...so many bands.....don't really care for anyone past the early 90's...Return to Forever, Tom Scott and the LA Express, Jaco Pastorious, Weather Report, Herbie Hancock...listen to Classical almost daily

My son is a professional musician....can't listen to the radio today, only oldies stations, classic rock stuff, and the stuff my son plays....

The Doors...hmmm...Love them now, not when they were popular in the late 60's.....went on a summer project and needed something to read while traveling and bought "No One Here Gets Out Alive" about the Doors and the Lizard King...must have read that book 5 times that summer...been a fan ever since...

Musical hates?...not too many, music, even in some of the forms I don't care for is  all pretty decent...run of the mill country, you know, the "my pickup is in the ditch and my dog ran away with my wife" horse twaddle is just not for me....like most bluegrass because I like good playing and harmonies...Emmy Lou Harris, Nanci Griffith

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Was born into classical music (my father played and loved it) Then growing up (teens) I listened to mostly Metallica, Stone Temple Pilots, ACDC and some other heavier bands (my father hated this music). Now I listen to mostly 60's and 70's rock  Pink Floyd, The Who, Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin (my father actually came around to liking this music and hates me instead)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Radiohead, Pink Floyd, The Knife, Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem, Loreena McKennitt, etc etc etc.

This tracks everything I play if you're really that curious: http://www.last.fm/user/magicalhobo6

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

should say YTO ,  YYZ is their airport code. So is YTZ and closer to where that concert was played.

Yessir!

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Nick Lowe Bie Krieger, Dave Edmunds, Frankie Miller,Lhasa De Sela, Tom Russell, the Stones, Warren Zevon, Linda Ronstad, Nanci Griffith, Graham Parsons, Chuck Berry,, Gordon Lightfoot, Ian and Sylvia, Eva Cassidy, Vysotsky, Ray Charles , Willie and Waylon, Loreena Mckennit(Highwayman) Lorena Mckenna(Drinking Problem), Maria Bethania, Baden Powell in no particular order

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

And Dylan, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor and Tom Waits Billy Joe Shaver

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Led Stairway, Joe Cocker

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I grew up in a really rich, really white town, where the really rich white folk of that town acted like "p!gs", because the really rich white kids of those really rich white folks, weighed their self worth by how much shine they could floss with mommy and daddy's really rich white $...  Indeed, I always sorta felt like, I was backed in'ta a corner, my proverbial "hand on the pump."  The town need somethin' real, some sorta "phuncky feel one;"  So I started listenin' to- and preachin' this...the 1st type'a stuff that really spoke ta me (If ya call me a "whigger"...I call'ya right now; Black people look up to me...and white people ask IF I had a "head injury" when I don my skully <always>...and I'm a-o.k. w/ this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2a8x8g-ELI

...and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86WuET__dfo

...I ain't got no head injury...I just flow like dis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0RuesX6rKQ

...what-evahhh.  I'm drinking...  Aeuuugh...I cr#ck me up.  Seriously, check out B-Real startin' @ 1:18...then his next rip @ 2:24.  What was he?  Black...?  Latino...?  White...?  Some freak-show, mix...?  A:  He was awe-some.  I'm gonna go drink some more.  It ain't easy, keepin' it real...sometimes ya gotta drink just ta "keep it real."  I'm tellin'ya.