Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

Sabbath, Deep Purple, ELP, Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Mahogany Rush, ZZ Top.

Hated KISS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

Check this out, Best out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bjgyp36zZ0

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

How about Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff? Went to a reggae music concert in St Martins where the aroma of ganja hovered over the crowd. I was the only white face there and showed up early 6pm cause I didn't have a ticket. They didn't start playing til after 11pm and played til 4 in the morning. Pretty memorable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

SPINOFF- What is your favorite venue?  I had a great time at a Sunday night show at the Bluebird in Nashville earlier this year for short money. There are a lot of clubs there that are inexpensive, with relatively unknown, talented people doing a variety of types of music

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

SPINOFF- What is your favorite venue?  I had a great time at a Sunday night show at the Bluebird in Nashville earlier this year for short money. There are a lot of clubs there that are inexpensive, with relatively unknown, talented people doing a variety of types of music

[/QUOTE]

My sentimental favourite would have to be the old Checkerboard Lounge on 43rd and King Drive in Chicago.  Used to go there in the late 1970s and early 1980s when Buddy Guy and Junior Wells owned it and played there most weekends. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Not familiar, sounds like a cool place

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No longer in business, but check this out and you'll get a flavour for what it was like on a good night . . . anybody could show up.  The waitress you can see in one of the shots was named Aretta . . . she used to charge us $3 bucks a beer.  The locals only paid $1, but we didn't complain much . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfFfZoKb_4

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Wish I'd been there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wish I'd been there.

Wish I'd been there for that one!  Missed that show unfortunately, but was there many times when Buddy Guy and Junior Wells were playing with the house band.  Buddy Guy owned the place at the time.  

Check this one out when Buddy and Junior get on stage (watch it a bit) . . .those are the two I used to see all the time.  Lefty Dizz too . . . Better than the Stones, I think . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpX7OhkWC-o 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Beatles

1910 fruitgum company

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Nickelback  and the best--" figured you out"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjRo-gMlKE&list=RDFIjRo-gMlKE

hell ye ah!!!!! one of a favorite

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Hate to tell you guys but Rock & Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Do you want to know a secret...Do you promise not to tell, whoa whoa, closer, let me whisper in your ear....IM IN LOVE WITH YOU.

Lord heard that song when a child, still love it. Love that band.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do you want to know a secret...Do you promise not to tell, whoa whoa, closer, let me whisper in your ear....IM IN LOVE WITH YOU.

[/QUOTE]

All right that's just strange man, I haven't heard or thought of that tune in years and for some reason i found myself humming it this morning

and I'm with ya as well, for me it always starts and ends with the fab four

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hate to tell you guys but Rock & Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died

[/QUOTE]

I can't remember if I cried when I heard about his widowed bride,

But something touched me deep inside...

The day the music died........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Says the guy with the Herb Alpert album cover as his avatar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Bright are stars that shine...dark is the sky...I know this love of mine..will never die.

AND I LOVE HER!!!

Man I'm old, but still love them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

All right that's just strange man, I haven't heard or thought of that tune in years and for some reason i found myself humming it this morning

and I'm with ya as well, for me it always starts and ends with the fab four

[/QUOTE]

Hey bro, grew up with Herb Alpert too, loved Lonely Bull!! Great song.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Says the guy with the Herb Alpert album cover as his avatar.

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Actually its one of my favorite movie quotes: Paul LaMatt in American Graffiti when Mckenzie Phillips asks him if he likes the Beach Boys

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No longer in business, but check this out and you'll get a flavour for what it was like on a good night . . . anybody could show up.  The waitress you can see in one of the shots was named Aretta . . . she used to charge us $3 bucks a beer.  The locals only paid $1, but we didn't complain much . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfFfZoKb_4

[/QUOTE]

We used to go to the Double Door.  I don't think the Checkerboard has been around for a long time. Kinston Mines was the other one.

Clapton had been known to swing in and play at the Double Door on occassion.

That video is hilarious. Very likely on an off night on the Tatoo You Tour.  Waters died a couple years later.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Red Rocks for an outdoor venue.  That's hard to beat, IMO.  

I;m not sure I can name a favorite indoor one. Theater wise, probably the Chicago Theater.  Little old ladies hold the door for you and it's completely wide open in there. Saw some fun shows in there.

Club wise?  Not sure on that one.  There's a cool old movie theater called the Visulite in Charlotte that works very well as a club for shows. Saw some good ones in there.

The Paradise was always a good crap hole.  Many of the clubs are kind of the same box style venues that smell like piszs and stale beer.

Chastain Park in Atlanta is cool.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Hey CCR one of the baddest groups.  Born on the Bayou, never get enough credit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey CCR one of the baddest groups.  Born on the Bayou, never get enough credit.

[/QUOTE]

THey always get forgotten about a lot. Incredibly underrated. They made great records, too.   COsmos Factory is my favorite.  Ramble Tamble kicks it off and there is that killer bridge jam thingy that is just righteous.  I found a solid vinyl copy recently and it sounds pretty good.

Fogerty can not only still really play, he literally sounds JUST like he did in the early 1970s.

Pendulum is my other favorite record of theirs. Great camping/tailgating music.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Russ is one of best Posters here, always liked his football knowledge.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Nickelback  and the best--" figured you out"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjRo-gMlKE&list=RDFIjRo-gMlKE

hell ye ah!!!!! one of a favorite

I was wondering if you were a rock and roll girl. Nickelback is cool. I like these too.

Puddle of Mudd - Blurry
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o

3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPU8OAjjS4k

Foo Fighters - Everlong
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=crOZk88eCcg

I wonder what happened to these guys?
    Days Of The New - The Down Town
    http://vimeo.com/26276727

Sections
Shortcuts