Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

Guess Who, Cream, Clapton, Sonny Boy Williamson, Allman Brothers, Creedence, BB King, Beatles, Stones, Johnny Winter, Animals, Fleetwood Mac, Zepplin, Traffic, Gary Moore, Steve Miller Band, Doors, Elvis, Ray Charles, Dylan, Marshall Tucker, Aretha, Doobie Brothers, Blind Faith, James Taylor, Howlin' Wolf, Cocker, Ronstadt, 10 Years After, Kinks, Skynyrd, J Geils, Lennox, Jeff Beck, Savoy Brown, Airplane, Janis, Hendrix, Mayall, Muddy, Robert Johnson, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Billy Idol, Aerosmith, S&G, JL H00ker, Who, Bonnie Raitt, CSN&Y, Van Morrison..... to name a few.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

^ You have no flow.  It is o.k..  Accept this.  That is all.  I like stuff.  I speak in monotones.  I reason in overtones.  I innovate in undertones.  I am boring.  I am against adverbs.  Otherwise, I would've said "monotonous undertones."  But that would have been witty.  I am BabeParilli.  I did not mean to rhyme.  I am sorry.  But I am not.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I'm a 90s kid..love oldies, Warren Haynes is my favorite artist. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Started in the 70's with Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, Zeppelin, Motorhead then came the 80's Metallica, Anthrex, Slayer throw in a little GnR, Alice in Chains and anything that Rocks.  Those are my roots.

[/QUOTE]
        Don't forget DEEP PURPLE, Dio and Rainbow. The good ole days.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Chicago Blues  . . .  otherwise most of mellymel's list of bands . . .  any list that starts with Cream is headed in the right direction. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

OK, here goes:

Four Seasons, Beetles, 'Stones, Janis Joplin, Moody Blues

then onto

James Taylor, Carole King, Doors, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks solo (she could have had her way with me), Gordon Lightfoot

and then

Peter Gabirel, Huey Lewis, Phil Collins

And yes I still spin vinyl.  Have systems in my family room at home and office at work.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Gotta give a plug for my latest favourite Canadian country singer . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzt-l0k1eHs&list=PL-vRzIstbdOYvJMoc5Ui_94ARTuZMj5eK&index=3

Not really a big country fan, but like Lindi a lot.  (My current favourite song of hers is this odd little tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30DFgByG4ZI.  This is nice too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKK97XXzYWA&list=PL-vRzIstbdOYvJMoc5Ui_94ARTuZMj5eK.)

Spend most of my time listening to classical and jazz now.  On a bit of Grant Green kick lately. Amazing guitarist . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Hjt7a_hVc

And of course, anything George Clinton touches . . . .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

And, heck, why not one more Lindi . . . up in Rusty's and NEGAME's neck of the woods . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6TgOFjfrg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

James Taylor, Carole King, Doors, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks solo (she could have had her way with me), Gordon Lightfoot

and then

And yes I still spin vinyl.  Have systems in my family room at home and office at work.

[/QUOTE]

I could listen to Salsbury Hill all day (and half the time I don't know why). And I always find myself in a Phil Collins phase where I'll isten to his stuff 4-5 times a year. Stevie Nicks has to have the best female voice I've ever heard, everytime a song of her's comes on the radio I have to listen to it. It's too bad she wasted so many years of her life addicted to pain killers...it would of been nice to of had her sing a little more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

I could listen to Salsbury Hill all day (and half the time I don't know why). And I always find myself in a Phil Collins phase where I'll isten to his stuff 4-5 times a year. Stevie Nicks has to have the best female voice I've ever heard, everytime a song of her's comes on the radio I have to listen to it. It's too bad she wasted so many years of her life addicted to pain killers...it would of been nice to of had her sing a little more.

[/QUOTE]

Stevie lived hard there's no two ways about it.  Her Edge of Seventeen was biographical about her on going thing with a teenager.  Stand Back remains my favorite Stevie Nicks song.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Solsbury Hill is a great tune, but it's not Phil Collins.  It's Gabriel.

Stevie Nicks still sings as fine as anyone her age in terms of how she sounded originally. She stopped smoking years and years ago.  No singer, as they age, can sound in peak form when they're older.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stevie lived hard there's no two ways about it.  Her Edge of Seventeen was biographical about her on going thing with a teenager.  Stand Back remains my favorite Stevie Nicks song.

[/QUOTE]

I have a bootleg of her doing the Bella Donna sessions with Petty and Heartbreakers finalizing the takes for that album.

She always wanted to join Petty and the HB after she left Fleetwood Mac. No joke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

Top 3 hotties of the 1970s:

Stevie Nicks

Linda Ronstadt (close 2nd)

Bonnie Raitt (Yep. She was a cute little thing in her heyday).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

watching a Boston 2012 show on AXS tv right now and Stevie sounds and looks pretty good for a hard living woman in her sixties.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

Saw Bill Haley and the Comets the first Rock&Roll band watching then at intermission at the Wollaston Theatre. Loved Roy Orbison hated Elvis.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

I have loads of vinyl and still play it as well..I'm on my 3rd Hendrix "Band of Gypsies" Album, same with many others as well...giving all to my son...I keep them wrapped up and dust free like they are the Queens jewelry...Still have a nearly flawless copy of the Who "Live at Leeds" with all the inserts...And one of my favorite bands, DEVO...man I'm going back in time now...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

Stevie Nicks

[/QUOTE]

Bonnie Raitt's live double album is one of the best I've ever heard...man I forgot to put Little Feat's live double album as well

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Solsbury Hill is a great tune, but it's not Phil Collins.  It's Gabriel.

Stevie Nicks still sings as fine as anyone her age in terms of how she sounded originally. She stopped smoking years and years ago.  No singer, as they age, can sound in peak form when they're older.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know it was Gabriel, he wrote it as he was leaving Genesis, it's an amazing song.

Nicks has a voice that...how can I describe it? When you hear it, it has the ability to just take you away...doesn't matter where you are. Amazing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Dave Allen does a great song about the death of Bill Haley, called Haley's comet. Also one about Johnny Ace wehich I haven't heard. Had a cousin in Wollaston in thse days, last name Porter.  Never liked Raitt much back in the day, but got a cheap tape a few years ago with some stuff of hers I really likedf. I've got a lot of vinyl too, but dont play it enough  Go on binges once or twice a year, rest of the time its tucked in the closet or on shelves, but can't let it go

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Started in the 70's with Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, Zeppelin, Motorhead then came the 80's Metallica, Anthrex, Slayer throw in a little GnR, Alice in Chains and anything that Rocks.  Those are my roots.

Don't forget DEEP PURPLE, Dio and Rainbow. The good ole days.......

One of the best concerts I've ever seen was Aerosmith's Summer Jam 88 at Giant Stadium.

Guns and Roses opened (on time) and rocked.  Interesting tidbit, for me anyway.  That's where the opening of the Paradise City video is shot. A little bit into the stage shots when they go to the camera that shows the left side profile of Axl, my girlfriend at the time Heather is the hot blurry girl with the long dyed red hair in the stands you can see in the image.  Me and my friends had already jumped the wall and were on the floor.

Deep Purple came on next and raised the energy level with a great show.  During the encore (Smoke on the Water) one of the most F'ed up things I've ever seen at a concert happened when someone threw a Molotov from the upper deck that landed in the second deck. 

Aerosmith came on and blew the nonexistent roof off the place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Sorry Dave Alvin does Haleys Comet

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

I have loads of vinyl and still play it as well..I'm on my 3rd Hendrix "Band of Gypsies" Album, same with many others as well...giving all to my son...I keep them wrapped up and dust free like they are the Queens jewelry...Still have a nearly flawless copy of the Who "Live at Leeds" with all the inserts...And one of my favorite bands, DEVO...man I'm going back in time now...

[/QUOTE]

Best song on that Hendrix record is Who Knows. Bad asz groove.  Funky as all hell.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Grew up with my parents listening to oldies; a lot of late 50's rock n roll, with some pre-Dylan folk music and early Beatles music. My parents werent fans of the Rollingstones, The Animals, Zeppelin, The Who, Hendrix, the Doors, etc so those are a lot of the bands I first started gettign into myself.

Then in highschool I progressed into more of a punk afficianado, started with a lot of stuff from the Who and Beatle then getting into the Velvet Underground, the Stooges then the Ramones, Sex Pistols and (my current and will always be) my favorite band The Clash. Then there is a lot of other stuff from that era I liked such as; The Talking Heads, the Germs, XX, Joy Division, etc. This led me into 80's new wave and post punk music; obvious choice for me would be New Order, there is a lot of good music in this era and genre, I never really stuck with much of it. but stil likely listening to it from time to time. 

Transitioning from 80's synth infused music, I didn't find much from the 90's to be all that great. Sure Nirvana had some decent songs to express tha anger anf agst of my relative youth. There is some very well written melodramtic rock from this era, again I never really stuck with nw musicians from this era. However, I always liked that electronic sound. So I do like certain variations of electonic music; Daft Punk, Digitlaism, Gorillaz, Kraftwork, Justice, The Faint, etc. Although currently some of my top bands that are relatively new are; My Morning Jacket, Beirut, Hot Chip just to name a few. But I will always be a oldies/classic rock/ealy punk music fan to be as vague as possible.

But, let me just say, 99% of popular music out there now-a-days is just painful to listen to. There is a difference between good music and catchy tunes and lyrics. Dear Lord, maybe this is somewhat similar to how my parents felt with my music that I grew up with. But, god damn the likes of ke$ha, rihiana, Bieber, those boys from Englend, Nikki Minage, Adam Levine...the list goes on. This goes for most of the rap out there that is just funny to listen to because it's sooooo bad. I guess I am getting old...thanks for startign this thread! haha

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guess Who, Cream, Clapton, Sonny Boy Williamson, Allman Brothers, Creedence, BB King, Beatles, Stones, Johnny Winter, Animals, Fleetwood Mac, Zepplin, Traffic, Gary Moore, Steve Miller Band, Doors, Elvis, Ray Charles, Dylan, Marshall Tucker, Aretha, Doobie Brothers, Blind Faith, James Taylor, Howlin' Wolf, Cocker, Ronstadt, 10 Years After, Kinks, Skynyrd, J Geils, Lennox, Jeff Beck, Savoy Brown, Airplane, Janis, Hendrix, Mayall, Muddy, Robert Johnson, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Billy Idol, Aerosmith, S&G, JL H00ker, Who, Bonnie Raitt, CSN&Y, Van Morrison..... to name a few.

[/QUOTE]

"Biff...Biiiff...Don't, YOU scam me, biff..."  You originally wrote, "I don't like music, biff."  You're s'possed to put 2 coats on, biff...but no-one said any-thing about painting the car a different color..."

Now I want a "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Mr. McFly," -outta you... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Im the REAL KING's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While we are on down time until the Draft.... 

Everyone is posting where they are from and have moved to, I'm curious to know what music you were born into, and what you changed to.

The Singer/musician you craved, and the ones that caused your ears to bleed!

Being from the Boston area, in the late 60's as a kid it was changing from my parents influence with Country, to the Elvis Presley/ Led Zeppelin Rock.

The 70's it was the Eagles and Heart (Ann and Nancy Wilson) then Van Halen, with the local groups Boston, and the Cars!

the 80's were the big hair bands and watered down Zeppelin wanna be's.

Then (ahhhhhhhhggggggg) Britney Spears and the Disney skanks to follow, Pat Benetar must have been going crazy (shes now 61, still hot and playing in May at the Hard Rock in Orlando Florida, tickets in the front row, (a mere 750 dollars each)

So everyone, lets here your musical past.... as we wait for the Draft!

[/QUOTE]

grew up on Mars

grew up listening to Opera-based Rap

never really cared for Thrash Reggae

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

then onto

and then

[/QUOTE]

Stevie Nicks

[/QUOTE]

No question Stevie's at the top. I'm thinking Olivia Newton John is in the mix as well. 

Sections
Shortcuts