Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

Four Seasons, Beetles, 'Stones, Janis Joplin, Moody Blues

then onto

James Taylor, Carole King, Doors, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks solo (she could have had her way with me), Gordon Lightfoot

and then

Peter Gabirel, Huey Lewis, Phil Collins

And yes I still spin vinyl.  Have systems in my family room at home and office at work.

[/QUOTE]

I have loads of vinyl and still play it as well..I'm on my 3rd Hendrix "Band of Gypsies" Album, same with many others as well...giving all to my son...I keep them wrapped up and dust free like they are the Queens jewelry...Still have a nearly flawless copy of the Who "Live at Leeds" with all the inserts...And one of my favorite bands, DEVO...man I'm going back in time now...

[/QUOTE]

When we lost Hendrix and Joplin we lost to the great rock artists of all time. 

Favorite 2-record set is "This is the Moody Blues."  Tuesday Afternoon, IMO, is the one of the great songs of that era. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, here goes:

Four Seasons, Beetles, 'Stones, Janis Joplin, Moody Blues

then onto

James Taylor, Carole King, Doors, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks solo (she could have had her way with me), Gordon Lightfoot

and then

Peter Gabirel, Huey Lewis, Phil Collins

And yes I still spin vinyl.  Have systems in my family room at home and office at work.

[/QUOTE]

I could listen to Salsbury Hill all day (and half the time I don't know why). And I always find myself in a Phil Collins phase where I'll isten to his stuff 4-5 times a year. Stevie Nicks has to have the best female voice I've ever heard, everytime a song of her's comes on the radio I have to listen to it. It's too bad she wasted so many years of her life addicted to pain killers...it would of been nice to of had her sing a little more.

[/QUOTE]

Solsbury Hill is a great tune, but it's not Phil Collins.  It's Gabriel.

Stevie Nicks still sings as fine as anyone her age in terms of how she sounded originally. She stopped smoking years and years ago.  No singer, as they age, can sound in peak form when they're older.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know it was Gabriel, he wrote it as he was leaving Genesis, it's an amazing song.

Nicks has a voice that...how can I describe it? When you hear it, it has the ability to just take you away...doesn't matter where you are. Amazing.

[/QUOTE]

There is that 'I don't know what' quality to her voice.  And, yes, I get lost listening to her. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Cars, Cars, Cars...
    J. Giles (totally underrated)
    Boston
    Doors
    Moody Blues
    Credence
    Blondie

On the Christian side of things:
    Daniel Amos
    Ressurection Band
    Phil Keaggy

Hates:
    Neil Diamond
    Billy Joel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

CCR

80's Heavy Metal

George Strait/Garth Brooks era

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In was all about the hair bands in the 80s......In my high school, it was The Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Rush, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Ted Nugent, and my favorite from that time was Van Halen.

In my 20s & 30s, I progressed into R&B with bands like Little Feat, Van Morrison, Jimmy Buffett, and really started traveling the islands, so I got into Reggae. Also dabble with a little Jazz.

Today, I still listen to all of it......

Can't stand: Rap, Dance club, twangy country, classical, opera.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

My 3 fav Christian tunes/vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNbXrnV9wz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqs24i1RBQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgr8SgCYbY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Grew up with my parents listening to oldies; a lot of late 50's rock n roll, with some pre-Dylan folk music and early Beatles music. My parents werent fans of the Rollingstones, The Animals, Zeppelin, The Who, Hendrix, the Doors, etc so those are a lot of the bands I first started gettign into myself.

Then in highschool I progressed into more of a punk afficianado, started with a lot of stuff from the Who and Beatle then getting into the Velvet Underground, the Stooges then the Ramones, Sex Pistols and (my current and will always be) my favorite band The Clash. Then there is a lot of other stuff from that era I liked such as; The Talking Heads, the Germs, XX, Joy Division, etc. This led me into 80's new wave and post punk music; obvious choice for me would be New Order, there is a lot of good music in this era and genre, I never really stuck with much of it. but stil likely listening to it from time to time. 

Transitioning from 80's synth infused music, I didn't find much from the 90's to be all that great. Sure Nirvana had some decent songs to express tha anger anf agst of my relative youth. There is some very well written melodramtic rock from this era, again I never really stuck with nw musicians from this era. However, I always liked that electronic sound. So I do like certain variations of electonic music; Daft Punk, Digitlaism, Gorillaz, Kraftwork, Justice, The Faint, etc. Although currently some of my top bands that are relatively new are; My Morning Jacket, Beirut, Hot Chip just to name a few. But I will always be a oldies/classic rock/ealy punk music fan to be as vague as possible.

But, let me just say, 99% of popular music out there now-a-days is just painful to listen to. There is a difference between good music and catchy tunes and lyrics. Dear Lord, maybe this is somewhat similar to how my parents felt with my music that I grew up with. But, god damn the likes of ke$ha, rihiana, Bieber, those boys from Englend, Nikki Minage, Adam Levine...the list goes on. This goes for most of the rap out there that is just funny to listen to because it's sooooo bad. I guess I am getting old...thanks for startign this thread! haha

[/QUOTE]

you are just old

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Im the REAL KING. Show Im the REAL KING's posts

I thnks you all for the tremendous responses.... putting aside all our (silly at times) bickering, music is a tremendous gift to our lives....

For any of you that are Led Zeppelin fans, (and even those that are not) Led Zeppelin had the magic of 4 of the most gifted artists at that time.

Jimmy Page possibly the best guitarist in the world, John Bonham a heavy hitter and incredible Drum Machine maniac, Robert Plant, who's early years his voice was absolutely incredible,.....but....Bass player John Paul Jones was the least talked about due to there being so much talnet in this band. His base riffs and playing still to this day are incredible works of art....

So here I give you all a link to watch. Please watch this, this is the bass player from Led Zep showcasing his tremendous skills as a musician. 

You will be glad you did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qoWcIl53ac

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Im the REAL KING's comment:

So here I give you all a link to watch. Please watch this, this is the bass player from Led Zep showcasing his tremendous skills as a musician. 

You will be glad you did

Wow!! Really cool....thanks for that!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Im the REAL KING's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thnks you all for the tremendous responses.... putting aside all our (silly at times) bickering, music is a tremendous gift to our lives....

For any of you that are Led Zeppelin fans, (and even those that are not) Led Zeppelin had the magic of 4 of the most gifted artists at that time.

Jimmy Page possibly the best guitarist in the world, John Bonham a heavy hitter and incredible Drum Machine maniac, Robert Plant, who's early years his voice was absolutely incredible,.....but....Bass player John Paul Jones was the least talked about due to there being so much talnet in this band. His base riffs and playing still to this day are incredible works of art....

You will be glad you did

[/QUOTE]

Cool stuff...  made me think of these two . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9hvyDvKHA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

And if you want a wild version of Stairway to Heaven by an amazing fret-tapping jazz guitarist, try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeooHiX4oH0

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chloedancer65. Show Chloedancer65's posts

Born in 65 & had a lot of siblings so I had a lot of influences. I listened to Elvis ( had a sis who died when I was 4 & she was huge EP fan, so made me feel close to her) listened to Pink Floyd, Bad Company, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, Pat Benatar,, Zepplin, Seger, Stevie Ray, The Cure,  Joy Division, Leonard Cohen, GN &Rm & Metallica.Favorite music was the music out of Seattle Mother Love Bone, Sound Garden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains,STP, Bush today listen to same stuff I was listening to but I do like Lana Del Ray, Elbow, Kings Of Leon. Cold Play, Snow Patrol and a few more, hate most of new music. ( Sorry anytime I hear Rush, I have to change it, hate his voice, but my 11 year old son likes them, also never got into Grateful Dead or Jethro Tull)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Born upstate NY.  Lived all around the east coast, as my father was a fighter pilot in the USAF.  From age 11 on, I grew up in the western Washington town of Puyallup, WA.  Moved to Lexington, KY five years ago for work, and may possibly end up in the Harrisburg, PA area soon (a stone's throw from where my father grew up).

A lot of musical phases as I grew up, with a summary chronology approximating the following: Kenny Rogers; Cheap Trick; Hall and Oates; Earth, Wind, & Fire; Kool and the Gang; Michael Jackson; The Cars; Huey Lewis and the News; Billy Ocean; Def Leppard; Ratt; Metallica; Metallica; more Metallica; Soundgarden; Alice & Chains; Zombie; Megadeth; Damn Yankees; Godsmack; CCR; The Beatles; The Who; Led Zeppelin; The Doors; Randy Bachman; Rammstein.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Grew up listening to New Kids On the Block, Boy George, Wham and Menudo. Transitioned to NSYNC, 98 Degrees, Backstreet Boys...Now it's mostly One Direction, Taylor Swift etc..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob2. Show paob2's posts

Parliament, Wu Tang Clan, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, KRS1, Brand Nubian, Eurythmics, Public Enemy, The Police, Grace Jones, Bob Marley, Buju Banton, John Coltrane, The Clash, Jimmy Hendrix, John Coltrane, Lhasa de Sala, Ofra Haza, Fela Kuti, Cesaria Evora, Ibrahim Ferrer and Salif Keita. That's a mere sampling. There is one type of music I won't listen to and that's country. No offense.

I haven't posted here in years, very few names are recognizable, but it's good to be back.

P.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

But, let me just say, 99% of popular music out there now-a-days is just painful to listen to. There is a difference between good music and catchy tunes and lyrics. Dear Lord, maybe this is somewhat similar to how my parents felt with my music that I grew up with. But, god damn the likes of ke$ha, rihiana, Bieber, those boys from Englend, Nikki Minage, Adam Levine...the list goes on. This goes for most of the rap out there that is just funny to listen to because it's sooooo bad. I guess I am getting old...thanks for startign this thread! haha

[/QUOTE]

you are just old

[/QUOTE]

Nope...  And I really would like to cry tears of blood for simply saying that, for at my core of being:  I'm Objective, I'm an Optimistic, I am a present-day Modernist, and I Hold artistic expression above ALL else...

And I gotta go back to the 90's for the beginning of any real inspiration...  Artists creating w/ REAL musical passion.  Ya could find it piecemeal in the 80's...Pretty decently in the 70's...Wholeheartedly in the 60's and 90's...and imo, in the 50's-somewhere in between the 80's and the 70's in grand total.

Now?

I'm pretty sure that suffering for the "youth" (and/or empassioned + vociferously disillusioned musical progenitors of culture), Is being away from their Next Gen iphone...or not having daddy yet buy it.  Similarly, I'm pretty sure that seemingly 99% of the bands/artists being created/found/cultivated/caveated, ARE:  Found and founded by Disney Corp's Michael Eisner...and the rest on "Who wants to be a star".

That is NOT good.  That IS:  Dictating Art...Cultivating the already chosen few artists, by a selection OF few.  That is, NOT Real/Great "Suffering"/"Artists speaking through empassioned Suffering/alienation"-  Genres & Selected "Artists" being Mass-produced, and Genres/"Artists" being dictated too largely from the onset, and not being able to be cultivated/birthed/expressed/brought in to being, in  a Far, FAR too linearly & controlled & VERY limited manner.

It's The Mass-Production of Creative Expression...and it svx.  It is noticeably less "radical", and extremely less "empassionned".

...And I wish it didn't svck.  The More Controlled The Artistry-The worse The Art is...plain & simple.  Marketable Art to The Most # of the "Generalized" public (i.e. buyers).  Dats it.

It speaks to noone in particular...but it CAN make a profit

Overregulating the More Total Number of "freedoms"...while Underregulating the More Number of "Capital Gains"...Does NOT...Make:  For very good art or artistic expression.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

The Doors, Cream, Led Zeppelin, CCR, The Eagles, Kansas, Boston!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Grew up listening to rock and roll in the 60s which led me to discovering the blues

Anything NOT Disco ( but love older mowtown, soul and funk )

Bluegrass but not modern country ( pop and rock with a cowboy hat )

Rap doesn't qualify as music

Have an affinity for 50s/60s Doo-Wop

Favorite musicians still living

David Gilmour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N82TLB03Vk

Buddy Guy ( Hendrix and Beck's main influence )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKKzAVbiwPs

Jeff Beck

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I grew up on Motown, funk, jazz, classical and light rock.  My mother was very much into Motown, light rock and classical.  My father, Motown and funk.  My neighborhood introduced me to rap, at the time Sugar Hill Gang and then Grand Master Flash and others.  My grandfather would listen to Motown on his 45's with me, and then take me to the Boston Pops later that night.  I didn't really hear my first hard rock song until I was in high school, and I quickly added that to my desire for music as a whole nother world had just opened up.  This being the early eighties, there was a ton of great music, great artists and bands, and things only kept getting better.  Due to the ethnic diversity of my neighborood, my family, bloodlines and friends, I had an extremely diverse upbringing and love of music.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Grew up listening to New Kids On the Block, Boy George, Wham and Menudo. Transitioned to NSYNC, 98 Degrees, Backstreet Boys...Now it's mostly One Direction, Taylor Swift etc..

Great list (not). I must admit I've never heard of Menudo. After watching this video, I wish I hadn't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHRjWauwpvE

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great list (not). I must admit I've never heard of Menudo. After watching this video, I wish I hadn't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHRjWauwpvE

[/QUOTE]

First, I feel that Bieber would have placed that list over the top, and probably those little kids with the celibacy rings- yup, Jonas Brothers...And should HAVE been placed on top and removing Menudo...But ONLY:  If Menudo was that 80's group of Jamacain kids who sang "Pass the Dutchie."  Also, I believe that girl whose father is an Actor/Producer, that sings about Adolescent Girl Trivialities, should've made the list.........   ........   ........  ...........  ..........  .......... and finally, ......  .......  ........  ........  + this girl whose father is a famous actor/music producer, too:  .........  .......  ....... and lastly, .......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I grew up on Motown, funk, jazz, classical and light rock.  My mother was very much into Motown, light rock and classical.  My father, Motown and funk.  My neighborhood introduced me to rap, at the time Sugar Hill Gang and then Grand Master Flash and others.  My grandfather would listen to Motown on his 45's with me, and then take me to the Boston Pops later that night.  I didn't really hear my first hard rock song until I was in high school, and I quickly added that to my desire for music as a whole nother world had just opened up.  This being the early eighties, there was a ton of great music, great artists and bands, and things only kept getting better.  Due to the ethnic diversity of my neighborood, my family, bloodlines and friends, I had an extremely diverse upbringing and love of music.

This was fantastic.  And it was not simply in some limited "ethnically diverse" sense, which allowed for your life to be graced by such a myriad of wide-ranging loves and passions within these incredibly varied genres of musical arts, artists, and styles, throughout such a wide frame of time.  I'm aware that this was your sentiment Agill...but here:

Due to the ethnic diversity of my neighborood, (diversity of the tastes of) my family, (diversity of) bloodlines and (diversity of my taste in) friends, I had an extremely diverse upbringing and love of music (and love of musical diversity).

How Eclectic, Thorough, and More Complete Tastes and Love of & in ART Is Formed 101...Re-read Agill1970's op.  =the least amount of micromanaging of a person's capability to be immersed in Artistic Expression(isms) <here: music>.  Simply how it best and most blossoms and grows and betters an (any) Individual (and/or society by and large).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's about time someone noticed my list, I had forgotten I had written it. The sad part is, with 3 daughters, the One Direction and Taylor Swift are true, along with every other top 40 artist. Some of those tunes are catchy though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

With all that hockey knowledge  Kelv, I thought you were an old ft. Turns out you are about half my ancient age(which is also a bourbon)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Led Stairway, Joe Cocker

Saw Joe Cocker drunk out of his mind in Arles, France. He didn't last the set and it was a giant waste of francs. Loved to get stoned to the Moody Blues
    Also Bonnie Raitt still has great legs and a nice butt.