Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not familiar, sounds like a cool place

No longer in business, but check this out and you'll get a flavour for what it was like on a good night . . . anybody could show up.  The waitress you can see in one of the shots was named Aretta . . . she used to charge us $3 bucks a beer.  The locals only paid $1, but we didn't complain much . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfFfZoKb_4

[/QUOTE]

We used to go to the Double Door.  I don't think the Checkerboard has been around for a long time. Kinston Mines was the other one.

Clapton had been known to swing in and play at the Double Door on occassion.

That video is hilarious. Very likely on an off night on the Tatoo You Tour.  Waters died a couple years later.  

[/QUOTE]

Don't remember the Double Door (may have opened after I moved from Chicago), but Kingston Mines has been around for ever.  Checkerboard was a real South Side blues bar--a really cool place to go, though in a pretty dangerous neighborhood. 

That video was shot during the Tatoo You tour.  I actually wanted to go to the Checkerboard that night thinking the Stones might show up, but couldn't get anyone in my dorm to go (and in that neighborhood, just blocks from the Robert Taylor homes, I wasn't going alone!).  Everyone wanted to go the next night (which we did), but of course the Stones weren't there a second time.  Still had fun though, since Buddy and Junior were almost always there back then and they always put on a great show.  Guy is an amazing player.  He used to do sets where he imitated every great blues guitarist perfectly (along with a few rockers, including Jimi Hendrix. mixed in), then did his own (somewhat idiosyncratic) thing.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Curious, Not only where Posters are From, But which Music Roots you grew up on and which you hated

Dude, nothing personal, but you have awful taste in music if you think that is real rock and roll.   lol

I know that is very rude of me, but all those bands minus the Foo Fighters, who are so overrated in their own right, all channeled that god awful late 90s pop/grunge Creed sound that just is so awful and recycled.

Just cringeworthy, IMO, but it's what makes the world go round.

I don't take anything here personal, Rusty. It is getting harder to find good music nowadays. It's why I've stuck with Rush all these years.

Rush - Mr. Soul
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFB4qe5vv14

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Russ is one of best Posters here, always liked his football knowledge.

Anybody who thinks that is an imbecile. I ignore imbeciles. You have been borderline until now, but that stupidity downgrades you, permanently.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not familiar, sounds like a cool place

[/QUOTE]

No longer in business, but check this out and you'll get a flavour for what it was like on a good night . . . anybody could show up.  The waitress you can see in one of the shots was named Aretta . . . she used to charge us $3 bucks a beer.  The locals only paid $1, but we didn't complain much . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfFfZoKb_4

[/QUOTE]

We used to go to the Double Door.  I don't think the Checkerboard has been around for a long time. Kinston Mines was the other one.

Clapton had been known to swing in and play at the Double Door on occassion.

That video is hilarious. Very likely on an off night on the Tatoo You Tour.  Waters died a couple years later.  

[/QUOTE]

Don't remember the Double Door (may have opened after I moved from Chicago), but Kingston Mines has been around for ever.  Checkerboard was a real South Side blues bar--a really cool place to go, though in a pretty dangerous neighborhood. 

That video was shot during the Tatoo You tour.  I actually wanted to go to the Checkerboard that night thinking the Stones might show up, but couldn't get anyone in my dorm to go (and in that neighborhood, just blocks from the Robert Taylor homes, I wasn't going alone!).  Everyone wanted to go the next night (which we did), but of course the Stones weren't there a second time.  Still had fun though, since Buddy and Junior were almost always there back then and they always put on a great show.  Guy is an amazing player.  He used to do sets where he imitated every great blues guitarist perfectly (along with a few rockers, including Jimi Hendrix. mixed in), then did his own (somewhat idiosyncratic) thing.  

[/QUOTE]

Jesus, you're old. I can see why you get angry and flustered here.  lol

The Double Door is in Wicker Park. Where you were, I don't think I ever really was.  There was never a need to go down there unless going to a White Sox game.  

Did you got to UI-Chicago?  Why did you live down there?

I can't imagine it back then.   

[/QUOTE]

No, University of Chicago.  Hyde Park . . . .

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

This won't be on the radio and I realize this is a famous club or whatnot, but if you want to see what is going on, you can stumble across stuff like this when you pay attention to the clubs where you live....Nickelback or whoever else ain't capturing this kind of vibe. Sorry.

Velvet Underground fans should like this even if it kills their studio version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLse5XYbpP4

[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows that North Carolina is one of the hottest music scenes!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

We've been trying to keep that a secret.  You must be a musicologist. Hope you don't find out about our plants, animals and rocks.

Sections
Shortcuts