Curtis Martin NOT elected to HOF?!?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Curtis Martin NOT elected to HOF?!?!

Marshall Faulk, yes. Shannon Sharpe, yes. But Curtis "4th most rushing yards ever, and oldest player to ever lead the league in rushing at 31" Martin!?!?! He also started his career with 10 straight 1000+ yard seasons, only one other person has done that: Barry Sanders. He missed 3 games in his 11th, and still got 700+ on a bum knee.

I guess he's not as much of a self promoting loudmouth like Sharpe.

Or a grudge holding empty suit on TV like Faulk.

It's a shame when the nice guy, who always showed up and performed without complaining gets overlooked for being...the nice guy.

I guess Curtis Martin will forever be underrated.

He should have never left NE, Kraft screwed up and Parcells screwed him. But he's the best RB from the late 90s/early 2000s in my opinion. Bettis? Faulk? Emmitt? I'll take Curtis every time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Curtis Martin NOT elected to HOF?!?!

No love for #28.

I guess he's underrated more than I really thought.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Curtis Martin NOT elected to HOF?!?!:
    [QUOTE]Marshall Faulk, yes. Shannon Sharpe, yes. But Curtis "4th most rushing yards ever, and oldest player to ever lead the league in rushing at 31" Martin!?!?! ...He should have never left NE, Kraft screwed up and Parcells screwed him. But he's the best RB from the late 90s/early 2000s in my opinion. Bettis? Faulk? Emmitt? I'll take Curtis every time.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

He'll get in eventually, so will Bettis. I wouldn't say he was a better player than Faulk or Emmitt though. Curious how you think Parcells screwed him? Seems to me he helped him become as great as he was. Martin certainly gives Parcells a lot of credit for his career if you've ever heard him talk on the subject.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Sorry, I meant Parcells screwed Kraft. He put the original "poison pill" into Martin's contract in NY. I think if he played in something like 2 home games in NE, he'd get some absurd bonus. The Pats could only match the offer Martin accepted, or take the compensation. That little clause guaranteed they couldn't match.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think Martin is much better than Bettis, but I think both are classic cases of stat padders and overrated with good consistency for their careers, but nothing dynamic enough to make me think "Yes, he is a HOF player".

I am not a big fan of Martin after he quit in NE following Parcells to NY either, so admittedly, I am biased.  I admire his career and style, but I also don't feel he's Marshall Faulk level or really in that dynamic class of RBs.

He's definitely borderline.

Bettis, though, I don't feel he was dynamic enough to be in the HOF. 

His YPC career average is under 4 if I am not mistaken.  The head bobbing after a 3 yard gain was lame, too.

Overrated Steeler player.

Riggins is the only RB with over 100 TDs. Jim Brown is the other.  Bettis has 91, but his numbers got WORSE with age and Riggins's got better.

Also, Riggins played in far less games.

Bettis is absolutely not better than Riggins.  RIggins got in because he played in a crappy NY market, but blossmed later.

The SB MVP didn't hurt either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

He went with the Tuna and took the big money offer...if he stays in NE he's 3 time SB winner and a 1st ballot HOF....svcks to be him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's pretty much my attitude about it.  He got burned by the Tuna as well. Seems to have happened a lot with people who believed in Parcells.

I think it's great he never won squat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

He followed the money...... and became a NY big cheese.  Saw an interview where he was showing his art collection off, and talking about how there was no other place that could match NYCs culture.  So, he made his choice, and buried his career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

When Curtis Martin was asked about not getting voted in and how he felt about it he said,
    “I think the voting committee did a great job selecting the 2011 class," Martin said in a statement released by the Jets. "If I were a part of the committee I can't say that I would have voted any differently. I'm not being modest at all, but I truly don't feel that there's anyone in this year's class that I should have bested in the voting process. Of course I would have loved to get in this year, but number one, the inductees truly deserved it, and number two, there's always next year! I thank you all for the recognition and congratulations to this year's inductees.”

That's class!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

1. Martin followed Parcells first. The money was second.

2. I don't care how he enters the hall, the man has a lot of class and grace and is a winner. More players should try to be like him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

breathe killa breathe...don't hold it in man let it out....vent...vent ...lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

In Response to Re: Curtis Martin NOT elected to HOF?!?!:
    [QUOTE]GOOD! F*ck Curtis Martin. You act like he will get into the HOF as a Pat but he is going in as a Jet. A filthy stinking Jet and you want to cheer for him? F*ck him, I hope he never gets in. He will of course cause he was great but I sure as he// wont be rooting for him or any other Jet to make the HOF and neither should any other self respecting Pats fan.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? So, now we're just rooting for laundry?

It just so happens that Martin was on of the classiest most talented guys to ever play in the NFL, let alone put on a Patriots uniform. And I'm supposed to hate him because he changed teams? That's ridiculous!

More importantly Martins' depature was mostly the Patriots fault. They let it get out of control. Year after year he put up amazing numbers and was a breakaway threat that defenses had to gameplan for every week. He quickly established himself as one of the best RBs in the league.

His reward? The Patriots made him play out his 5 or 6 year rookie contract. Which he grossly outpplayed. That last year of his deal was around 350k- which was an obscene joke for a top 5 running back. The Pats essentially used and abused Martin.

In the meantime, guys were getting rewarded all over the league. Guys like Terrell Davis were getting renegotiated and paid fairly. The Pats dumped  50 something million into Ty Law and locked up Ted Johnson before he even hit free agency. Meanwhile, they let one of the best backs in the game toil away under a contract fit for a sixth round pick.

Martin never complained (And I'm sure reporters tried to bait him into it) or pouted. He never asked for a new contract. Which would have been perfectly reasonable. He just played out his completely unfair contract with class.

But he wouldn't be human if he weren't privately seething. And didn't feel like he was taken advantage of. So by the time he neared free agency, he was probably pretty angry with the Pats. He certainly didn't owe them anything.

I'm sorry, but Curtis Nartin is not the bad guy here. If you want to blame somebody point the finger at the Pats that didn't step up and do the right thing.

Curtis Martin was nothing but class while he was here and even after he left. If you can't root for Curtis Martin, then I don't know who you can root for.

I really don't get the whole rooting for laundry thing. Like if Troy Brown had bit on the Saints offer a few years ago and signed with a team that offered him more playing time, I would stop rooting for him? Of course I wouldn't. He's one of my all time favorite players. Conversely, I never really cared for Richard Seymourp even while he was in New England.

It's the same attitude that leads to 465 posts in the offseason about how we need to sign Brandon Marshall. Even though he's a cowardly piece of garbage that beats women. I don't know how that doesn't matter to some people.

When I think about Curtis Martin I will think about how he destroyed Pittsburg in the 98 Fog Bowl or any of the other great Patriots moments of the 90s  he was involved in. Not the fact that he finally signed with another team to get the money the Pats wouldn't step up and pay him.

Now a guy like Adam Vinatieri, that twisted the knife in the back of Patriots Nation, I can't stand the site of him. But Curtis Martin deserves the Hall of Fame and the support of Pats fans. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MYNJJets. Show MYNJJets's posts

Re: "When I think about Curtis Martin I will think about how he destroyed Pittsburg in the 98 Fog Bowl or any of the other great Patriots moments of the 90s:
    Sorry, in 98 Curtis was playing as a Jet in the AFC Championship Game @ Denver.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Whenever I think of the true class guy that was Curtis Martin, I think of how that class act was constantly trying to recruit his former Patriot teammates to the Jets. I think of how that trickster king Parcells fed him that enchanted apple and forced him to sign that poison pill contract. I think of all the "classy" Jet players now and in history.I also think of the sainted "Patriot" fans who so easily forgave him for his constant recruiting of their teams players and the classy way he took that big money poison pill contract,good work guys somewhere Woody Johnson is staring down at a naked asian boy and smiling. You Pats fans who feel this way are truly better fans than me. I mean you guys have completely risen above small petty things like team loyalty,Good for you! But as for me, I choose to despise the one man Jets PR machine that was Curtis Martin. I hope his cartilage-less knees painfully grind together every day of the rest of his life. I hope he is in pain as he lays in bed and stares up at the full length "glamour shot" of Parcells tacked to his bedroom ceiling. I hope that when his knees grind together they make the sound LOMMBAARRRDDDII to remind him of what he never won with that disgusting slimy organization he called home. Curses to you Curtis may your next recruiting job be in the pits of hell. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MYNJJets. Show MYNJJets's posts

[QUOTE]Whenever I think of the true class guy that was Curtis Martin, I think of how that class act was constantly trying to recruit his former Patriot teammates to the Jets. I think of how that trickster king Parcells fed him that enchanted apple and forced him to sign that poison pill contract. I think of all the "classy" Jet players now and in history.I also think of the sainted "Patriot" fans who so easily forgave him for his constant recruiting of their teams players and the classy way he took that big money poison pill contract,good work guys somewhere Woody Johnson is staring down at a naked asian boy and smiling. You Pats fans who feel this way are truly better fans than me. I mean you guys have completely risen above small petty things like team loyalty,Good for you! But as for me, I choose to despise the one man Jets PR machine that was Curtis Martin. I hope his cartilage-less knees painfully grind together every day of the rest of his life. I hope he is in pain as he lays in bed and stares up at the full length "glamour shot" of Parcells tacked to his bedroom ceiling. I hope that when his knees grind together they make the sound LOMMBAARRRDDDII to remind him of what he never won with that disgusting slimy organization he called home. Curses to you Curtis may your next recruiting job be in the pits of hell. 
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]
    Wow.......glad to see your over that beatdown!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE].... I hope that when his knees grind together they make the sound LOMMBAARRRDDDII to remind him of what he never won with that disgusting slimy organization he called home. Curses to you Curtis may your next recruiting job be in the pits of hell. 
    Posted by tenacioust[/QUOTE]

Lighten up, Francis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Considering the high level quality of nominees this year, it's understandable how he didn't get in.  I'm sure he will one day. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Best Curtis memory for me was second game 2002 season at the Jesters....Pats completely blow them out like 44-7...At one point the camera shows the Jester sideline, Curtis Martin is standing alone like 20 yards from the rest of the team, when the camera zoomed you could just read his thoughts of "what did I do coming to these losers, if I stayed a Pat I would have a ring and chance at more"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I can't believe all the misplaced venom spewed his way. It's his fault he played out his rookie contract, went through the exclusive negotiating period when the Pats failed to come up with a fair offer, and became a FREE AGENT and signed the best deal out there?

Add Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Deion Branch, Adam Vinatieri, Damien Woody, Willie McGinest and every other Pat who ever left to that list. What sour grapes. Yeah, but keep celebrating people like Rodney Harrison for doing the exact opposite. Hypocrites. "Oh wah, he recruited our players..." You mean like how BB does at the Pro Bowl? Go cry somewhere else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

He will go in with Big Tuna next year...hope they don't fight...LOL...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]I can't believe all the misplaced venom spewed his way. It's his fault he played out his rookie contract, went through the exclusive negotiating period when the Pats failed to come up with a fair offer, and became a FREE AGENT and signed the best deal out there? Add Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Deion Branch, Adam Vinatieri, Damien Woody, Willie McGinest and every other Pat who ever left to that list. What sour grapes. Yeah, but keep celebrating people like Rodney Harrison for doing the exact opposite. Hypocrites. "Oh wah, he recruited our players..." You mean like how BB does at the Pro Bowl? Go cry somewhere else.

I don't think that is what happened.   He priced himself out of the deal so he could force himself out of NE to follow Papa Parcells to supposed greener pastures.

He took the NY deal before NE could match it.  I don't exclusively blame Martin, but clearly slimy Parcells knew what he was doing.

When you think about it, this whole inter-division poor behavior by switching teams left and right, which is not really accepted within the coaching code in the NFL.

Mike Shanhan is the only coach I can think of alongside Marty Schottenheimer, the former by design, who left one team in the division just to stick to the other.

Parcells took the entire staff and one of NE's best players with him.

Admit it: It was a very dooshy move.

Parcells was also a douosh for blindsiding BB by retiring out of nowhere after the 1999 season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from geebs70. Show geebs70's posts

martin was maybe the best RB the pats ever had, albeit it was a short stint with us.  the fog bowl, which i believe was in 2006, was a great example of him coming through when they needed him.  he was always a solid 4 yard gain and gave the extra effort - like law firm but with more talent.

he should get in the HOF eventually....

but, neon deion?  please, that guy was a track star with good hands and no balls, not a FB player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Serves him right for jumping ship! We did not need him anyway! While his so called savior did his usual three year tour and quit, the Pats acquired three Championships and a dynasty without him! lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Curtis Martin NOT elected to HOF?!?!:
    [QUOTE]Marshall Faulk, yes. Shannon Sharpe, yes. But Curtis "4th most rushing yards ever, and oldest player to ever lead the league in rushing at 31" Martin!?!?! He also started his career with 10 straight 1000+ yard seasons, only one other person has done that: Barry Sanders. He missed 3 games in his 11th, and still got 700+ on a bum knee. I guess he's not as much of a self promoting loudmouth like Sharpe. Or a grudge holding empty suit on TV like Faulk. It's a shame when the nice guy, who always showed up and performed without complaining gets overlooked for being...the nice guy. I guess Curtis Martin will forever be underrated. He should have never left NE, Kraft screwed up and Parcells screwed him. But he's the best RB from the late 90s/early 2000s in my opinion. Bettis? Faulk? Emmitt? I'll take Curtis every time.

He was never the best at his position.

Marshall Faulk was one of the most complete running backs ever

Shannon Sharpe changed people's concepts of the tight end position by creating speed and athleticism matchup problems

Curtis Martin just chugged along at 4ypc, which doesn't get you much attention.

And yes, I'd take Marshall Faulk in his prime over Curtis Martin.  Shannon Sharpe is a tougher comparison because he plays a different position (I value RB much more, but that doesn't change that Sharpe was the best pass-catching TE in history by a wide margin until Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates came along)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I loved Curtis......but he wasn't the player Faulk or Emmit was....granted, they played with much better teams, but in the end, they were better backs.