Cut Mankins!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

Cut Mankins!

I know this guy is supposed to be all world or something-but I've seen some games where he just looks average. All this money for a GUARD? I say cut him and draft his replacement in the 3rd round where there should be some pretty decent guards still there. He's a guard for cryin out loud - getting paid like a skill position player and I still have that smell of his franchise tag debacle where he whined like a baby and held out!  Opinions welcome?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re: Cut Mankins!

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

I know this guy is supposed to be all world or something-but I've seen some games where he just looks average. All this money for a GUARD? I say cut him and draft his replacement in the 3rd round where there should be some pretty decent guards still there. He's a guard for cryin out loud - getting paid like a skill position player and I still have that smell of his franchise tag debacle where he whined like a baby and held out!  Opinions welcome?

hes got a big contract but forget it if they take a cap hit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

Yeah makes sense to take 8 mil cap hit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

No. They just lost their All World Oline coach.  No need to reshuffle the line with a new coach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kyle-Cleric. Show Kyle-Cleric's posts

No

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No. They just lost their All World Oline coach.  No need to reshuffle the line with a new coach.

[/QUOTE]

thats a good point dude. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I am confused as to when a team can cut a player and not get hit with a cap hit--I see where sometimes teams get a cap hit and other times do not-I was not aware that if cut it would still cost the Pats cap space-very confusing when it comes to cap space/hits etc--I'm sure these Certified Public Accontants make big money doing all this legal financial stuff for their teams?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Not all of his salary but some of it.  Mankins is worth having around.  He brings an attitude to every game and nobody gets in TBs face when he's out there.  I wish they would work on some kind of extension with him that's a little bit more cap friendly.  But he's one of those guys who thinks he should get paid.  He's may go when his contract is up but for now keep him as long as you can.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

He also has the unique ability to play through pain, you can never have enough guys like that on your team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

How does that go? "Availability not Ability"? Hopefullly this yr. or next they can re-structure it, but I doubt that happens anytime soon. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Be surprised if they cut him.  He's tough and brings an attitude to that O-line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

I am confused as to when a team can cut a player and not get hit with a cap hit--I see where sometimes teams get a cap hit and other times do not-I was not aware that if cut it would still cost the Pats cap space-very confusing when it comes to cap space/hits etc--I'm sure these Certified Public Accontants make big money doing all this legal financial stuff for their teams?

[/QUOTE]

It's not too complex.  If you give a guy a signing bonus, the signing bonus is credited to your salary cap over the length of the contract (up to five years).  So, for example, if you give a guy a $5 million signing bonus on a five-year contract, you pay the bonus upfront, but it is credited to the salary cap at $1 million per year for the five years of the contract.  If you decide to cut the guy after year two, however, you still have $3 million of uncredited bonus left and that still-uncredited amount you are required to credit in a lump sum once you cut the guy (usually it hits your cap in the following year).  The "dead money" is simply this "accelerated" credit. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

I don't know about the rest of the posters here, or any other pro football fan, but all this free agency/cap space crap is ruining the game. It may be I'm just getting to be an old farrt that wishes the days of player/team loyalty still prevails.

Every year now it's the same old B.S......what productive and loved player on a team is going to pickup and take off to another team? Suppose it's like everything else nowadays, it's all about the money and everyone is out to get the most they possible can. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This... They will need some continuity and leadership without coach scar this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Not an option in terms of cuts, Wilfork is the guy who has got me peeved. He has 0 leverage here, why is BB even allowing this guy to decide what he wants?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not an option in terms of cuts, Wilfork is the guy who has got me peeved. He has 0 leverage here, why is BB even allowing this guy to decide what he wants?

[/QUOTE]

I think because bb believes he still has a lot to offer. If vw wasn't along on his rehab or they believed he wasn't going to contribute, he would be gone. I still think we may see his contract redone to free up more cap space. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

cut probably the toughest sob to take the field since John (HOG) Hannah? not on our watch bub! Ask TB how he'd feel about that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Possible cuts: VW,Tom Kelly, Adrian Wilson, Jake Bequette, but not Mankins!!! He would only be on the market for about an hour, plus you do realize that not only is he a Tough sob, but he's talented and could quite easily be the starting LT if it weren't for his ability too play the LG position like a rhino!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Possible cuts: VW,Tom Kelly, Adrian Wilson, Jake Bequette, but not Mankins!!! He would only be on the market for about an hour, plus you do realize that not only is he a Tough sob, but he's talented and could quite easily be the starting LT if it weren't for his ability too play the LG position like a rhino!

[/QUOTE]

I understand he's supposed to be this tough SOB but we are talking about a Guard here? Wasnt aware the guy could play tackle though which makes him more valuable?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand he's supposed to be this tough SOB but we are talking about a Guard here? Wasnt aware the guy could play tackle though which makes him more valuable?

[/QUOTE]

He played LT a bit last season when Solder went down...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

No!  Wilfork is one to get cut.  Then sign someone like bj Raji. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately he does a have a little bit of leverage because there really aren't many great defensive tackles available in free agency any longer...and we don't have any on our team. If you look at the draft there doesn't look like there is any sure thing where we are going to be selecting either. So we have a little problem here - Wilfork makes too much and is coming off a major injury - and if you just flat out cut him, who are you going to have replace him? Henry Melton? He's coming off and injury too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Fine with me. I never would have given him the money in the first place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not all of his salary but some of it.  Mankins is worth having around.  He brings an attitude to every game and nobody gets in TBs face when he's out there.  I wish they would work on some kind of extension with him that's a little bit more cap friendly.  But he's one of those guys who thinks he should get paid.  He's may go when his contract is up but for now keep him as long as you can.

[/QUOTE]

Not true

Sections
Shortcuts