cut Slater?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

cut Slater?

Looking at over the cap.com, Slater carries a 2.3 mil contract this year with a 1.6 mil cap hit.  Maybe it would be time to cut him loose and get a starter.  Special teams did not suffer that much with him out last year.  They still have Ebner as a gunner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: cut Slater?

Don't really agree.  Slater is a special special teams player.  Perhaps special teams play did not suffer in his absence but over the course of the season his presence makes the unit better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

He is on the final year of contract, he is a ST stud, maybe redo his contract?  Would hate to see him go. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Special teams are never an issue until they lose you a game. Having guys like Slater who work hard to make sure these units don't fail IMO is a must.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

havent we seen this exact same thread the past 3 years?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Agree with all the points above on why not to cut him, also he is a captain for this team every year which says a ton about his locker room presence and how BB thinks of him. A ST as a C isnt seen everyday, shows how big of a leader he is

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is on the final year of contract, he is a ST stud, maybe redo his contract?  Would hate to see him go. 

[/QUOTE]

+1, captain and probowl STer. One of the best at what he does. I'd rather extend him and make some space that way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1, captain and probowl STer. One of the best at what he does. I'd rather extend him and make some space that way.

[/QUOTE]

+2 - Extend and rework definitely works.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

No way.  Just rework and extend the contract.  Too valuable on the Special Teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

havent we seen this exact same thread the past 3 years?

[/QUOTE]

Yep, I finally stopped last year and gave him his due props. He is a difference maker and always the 1st one down. Besides its not like we have recievers that are so good we need to release someone to make room. We usually only use 2 WRs at a time and the rest are injury insurance, no?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If Edelman leaves, Brady can simply turn him into the next great Pats wideout.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

No Way Jose.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

2.3 million for the lone deep threat (see the attempts in the playoffs)...is a bargain, he's a special team stud, restructure and sign him to a long term deal. Players like him are what make the Pats good year in year out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

If anything, I would like to see him extended another 3 or 4 years. A lot of value to this team on ST, and has really grown into a great leader. Plus an emergency option at both WR and DB.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Cut Slater?

I'll cut YOU!

He's been one of my favorite players for years. He is, hands down, the best gunner in football. He's a consummate professional. Well spoken. Intelligent. Wears glasses and bowties at post game conferences!

I wish the site wasn't so broken so I could go back to 2010/2011 where I called him the best gunner in football. Nothing has changed. He's not just a special teamer, as was said above, he is special in that role. Field position is a BIG part of football, and he, almost single-handedly, can win that battle for you.

2.3! He makes <2% of the cap. On a roster of 53, that's right where I'd want a player like him, and he's well worth it.

I'm incredulous!

In all seriousness, he truly is one of my favorite players. A guy who does some of the dirtiest sirty work, does it well, and obviously enjoys it with his on-field enthusiasm when the group stuffs a punt returner. He's played CB. WR. He is the classic Belichickian "football player". Give me 53 like him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Slater is a great special teamer . . . not sure many noticed, but he was also a key blocker on our goal line running offense.  He actually created the hole for a TD or two.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ditto 1000%..that not much of a cap savings and slater is exactly the type of player we need more of. He's probably the best St player in the league. keep and extend.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Agree with 99% of what has been said after the initial post . . . but more important than our reading on Slater is the fact that BB loves the guy . . . he stays . . . case closed!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

He's going nowhere.

I wonder if someone's been to Denver or Seattle recently

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Slater first man at the ball every time.  Keep Slater.  We know he can't catch, have we tried him at CB yet?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Slater first man at the ball every time.  Keep Slater.  We know he can't catch, have we tried him at CB yet?

[/QUOTE]

I always thought the position he played best outside of special teams was strong safety but even then I think he is just a stop gap measure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I believe he is still the fastest player on the team

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I say keep him. In his extension contract there should be a clause that he's not allowed to come in a big game as a WR. I have no problem with a pure ST player. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I always thought the position he played best outside of special teams was strong safety but even then I think he is just a stop gap measure.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's good as either a receiver or a DB. He's an impact player on special teams, though, and he did do a nice job run blocking from the receiver position in short yardage situations.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

yeah lets get better by cutting our pro-bowlers! Not!