Cutdown Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Cutdown Thread

^^   Bolden made the team, or am I missing something?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

1. Assume Waters will be back very soon.

2. Perhaps Shiancoe to the special IR spot?

3. Maybe Jacob Hester (cut by Chargers) as Fullback?

Always a few surprises left before the first game !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to NYC's comment:

As it stands right now this was a bold defensive statement by BB. He refuses to caught short handed defensively. I am surprised with how few WR's are left on the team and I am curious to see what develops from both in the short term and long term in this regard. I think we will see Ebert on the practice squad, a QB, a fullback and hopefully Silvestri at TE. 

Kettani and Ebert should make it back but Silvestri gets poached. 

Agree. I didn't think he'd make the team, but it looks like he is good enough for someone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The defense looks greatly improved to me compared with last year.  I really like what I've seen from them in preseason.  This team is going to be one of the hardest to run against in the league, I think, and its pass defense seems greatly improved, in large part because the front seven are getting good pressure, but also because the safety and corner play looks significantly better.  With 27 players the defense is also quite deep and diverse.  BB is going to be able to rotate players to give teams very varied looks.  I expect interesting defensive game plans and lots of big defensive plays.  Back in the Super Bowl years, I loved it when the defense took the field in Foxboro because you knew you were going to see something great.  The past few years, the defense taking the field just causes angina . . . you spend most of your time hoping they won't give up a big play and praying for them to just make a stop so they can get off the field.  That, I think, is no more. 

The offense is odd this year.  I don't think BB is done with it yet, and I expect a few more roster moves to be made over the next few days to finalize the offense.  With just 22 players, the offense lacks depth.  Here are my quick thoughts on the offensive roster:

• I don't mind carrying just two QBs. Even the second QB is almost never used in games, so having a third QB on the 46 man game-day roster is really a bit of a luxury.  If your top two QBs do get injured in the same game, you're probably in big trouble anyway and it's questionable how much the third guy is going to help you at that point.  The third QB's real role is to learn the plays and be prepared to assume the back-up role should one of the two QBs in front of him get hurt.  A practice squad QB can be just as effective at this part of the job. 
    • Eight offensive linemen seems light, but again you generally aren't going to put more than eight on the 46-man game-day roster.  If injuries occur, you can always elevate someone from the practice squad.  Still, with just 52 men on the roster now, I won't be surprised to see a ninth (Waters?) added in the next day or two.  
    • Now we get to the "weapons"--the runners and receivers.  This is the oddest combination I've seen.  Normally, I would have expected 14 guys in a 6-5-3 grouping, with 6 WRs, 5 RB/FBs, and 3 TEs.  Instead we've got just 12 guys a 4-4-4 grouping. Since you can only put 5 of these guys on the field at once, there are plenty of bodies to cover a "base" offensive set.  But in today's NFL, offensive diversity is important, and one of the major ways you get that diversity is by subbing guys in and out with different skills.  Last year, one of the Pats' offensive weaknesses, in my opinon, was the heavy reliance on just six players (Welker, Gronk, Hern, Branch, BJGE, and Woodhead).  I was hoping to see an offense that used something more like eight receivers/runners on a regular basis.  Those extra two guys, if they have different skills than the other six, create more possible problems for the defense and force the defense to prepare for a lot more looks.  
    • Looking at the offensive weapons, you have to guess that our base or "starting" offensive personnel package is going to look a lot like last year's:  It will include two TEs (Gronk and Hern), two WRs (Welker and Lloyd) and one back (rotating, I think, between Ridley and Vereen).  This strikes me as a bit of an upgrade, since Lloyd should be an improvement on Branch when playing the perimeter/deep parts of the field, Ridley seems much more explosive as a runner than BJGE, and Vereen looks better than Woodhead both as a runner and receiver to me (their pass blocking skill, though, is yet to be proved).
    • The interesting thing to guess is the non-base offensive packages and how those will be different.  The addiitonal TEs give them excellent ability to go to more heavy formations than they could last year.  If they had kept a FB, they would have had even more ability to go heavy. I expect them to use Bolden as a sort of hybrid FB/RB or maybe pick up a FB in the next few days, so I won't be surprised to see a lot more three TE or two-back (or both) formations this year than last.  (Last year they couldn't do this, because they didn't have the personnel.)
    • I had hoped to see more of an ability to also challenge the perimeter and deep parts of the field.  Lloyd does help with this, because he's going to be more effective at it than Branch was.  I had hoped they'd keep someone like Gaffney or Stallworth to give them a second guy in this mold.  The ability to sub in a second deep/perimeter threat would have made life harder for corners and safeties, forcing them to protect the outer parts of the field and not just focus on the LOS and short zones.  It will be interesting to see if BB has something up his sleeve here--whether he brings back Gaffney, picks up someone else who can play the outside WR role, or thinks that Slater can do more.  Slater has great speed and there have been some reports that he's been more effective catching the ball in practice.  Maybe BB felt Slater could give us as much as Gaffney or Stallworth.  Still, I'd like one more guy who can challenge the deep/perimeter parts of the field
    Overall, the "base" offense is, I believe, improved.  Plus, there's more ability to play a heavier short game with TEs and multiple-back sets.  The one area that seems thin to me is the deep/perimeter passing game.  BB seemed to be trying to address that with Gaffney and Stallworth as well as Lloyd, but for various reasons ended up light in those types of players.  Still, I suspect a fifth receiver will be added sometime soon--maybe Gaffney or maybe someone else who has the right skills to be a perimeter/deep presence.  This will give us a very well-rounded offense that could be scary good--assuming all the players play up to their on-paper potential, of course.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I guess the bullet feature doesn't work . . . and I can't edit my post.  Oh wel . . . 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think Gaffney will be the guy back after week 1 and not Branch. Just a hunch.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ I read in the Miami Herald od all places that Gaffney expressed interest in re-joining the Pats when healthy!

I tried to respond to your post but the above sentence wasn't allowed because of the "S"???

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Prolate,

I agree that this offensive grouping is strange. Anytime you have 4 probowlers(Hern would be a pro bowler on any other team) as your top 4 skill position players it is a very strange occurence. Has it ever happened before?

Also Lloyd has more targets over 20 yards then any player in the league for the last 2 years. So we got "the guy" we needed to stretch the field. When you say he should be a little better then Branch in that aspect I think you are under selling what he brings to the team.

Now in terms of depth I really do agree with you. I think we need a 3rd or 4rth receiver who knows our system in case of injury/fatigue during a game. Branch or Gaffney would be perfect imo, and I expect 1 of them back. At the same time we have 3 really good TE's with Gronk,Shank, and Fells, and Hernandez is probably the most versaitle skill position player in the league. He lines up wide, in the slot, end of the line, in the back field as bioth a FB, and RB, and is efficient in all areas.

So in effect we have 3 good TE's, a bunch of young RB's, and WW,Lloyd,Hernandez,Edelman as receivers. Lot of versatility there as WW and Hern can play slot/flanker, whatever.

Anyway, it looks like BB has gone back to the winning way of building this team around the defense, which is how we won 3 SB's in 4 years! Gotta love it!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I think Gaffney will be the guy back after week 1 and not Branch. Just a hunch.

My suspicion too.  Add Gaffney in that 53rd slot and I think this offense is devastatingly good.  (I just started a new thread on the offense.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

JRI,

I think it is when we respond to another post only. I don't have the issue when starting a new post. In any case it is one of many flaws with the new system.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Prolate,

I agree that this offensive grouping is strange. Anytime you have 4 probowlers(Hern would be a pro bowler on any other team) as your top 4 skill position players it is a very strange occurence. Has it ever happened before?

Also Lloyd has more targets over 20 yards then any player in the league for the last 2 years. So we got "the guy" we needed to stretch the field. When you say he should be a little better then Branch in that aspect I think you are under selling what he brings to the team.

Now in terms of depth I really do agree with you. I think we need a 3rd or 4rth receiver who knows our system in case of injury/fatigue during a game. Branch or Gaffney would be perfect imo, and I expect 1 of them back. At the same time we have 3 really good TE's with Gronk,Shank, and Fells, and Hernandez is probably the most versaitle skill position player in the league. He lines up wide, in the slot, end of the line, in the back field as bioth a FB, and RB, and is efficient in all areas.

So in effect we have 3 good TE's, a bunch of young RB's, and WW,Lloyd,Hernandez,Edelman as receivers. Lot of versatility there as WW and Hern can play slot/flanker, whatever.

Anyway, it looks like BB has gone back to the winning way of building this team around the defense, which is how we won 3 SB's in 4 years! Gotta love it!!

Champ, I thought the offense deserved a whole thread devoted to it, so I just started one.  I won't repeat here what I said there, but I think you'll see I'm pretty much in agreement with you.  Also, think the defensive improvement is the most significant change comparing last year to this.  I'm very excited to watch them.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^  I responded over there! Good posts btw.....wait, can I say "posts"

Sections
Shortcuts