Cutdown Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Cutdown Thread

In response to Cutdown Thread:

What this all means is... I'm getting closer and closer to procuring a Nate Ebner jersey... and I never buy player jerseys.

I'm there with you, he will be a popular jersey come tomorrow.

The last time I thought about getting a player jersey it was Vrabel's. Within days of having that thought he was traded. I try not to think too much anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I think you should add QB to your Draft thread.

QB will always be an area of interest due to the premium placed on the position, but with this move, it does appear that the NE coaching staff is confident in Mallet's progress/ability.

There's also the fact that his rookie contract lines up better with Brady's expected retirement. resigning Hoyer was going to end up being a choice between him or Mallet at the end of the season when his contract was up and I don't think they were willing to pay him more money to be Brady's backup. Had Mallet not lost the time to develop during the lockout last year Hoyer may have already been gone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Wow shocked by the branch and hoyer cut. I wonder what they see in slater, ebert, and edelman. And if i had a guess, theyre keeping 5 running backs.

Well in slater they see a WR, and a special teams MVP

In edleman they see a wr a DB a Kick and punt returner, and an emergancy QB(he was a qb in college)

And ebert they see raw talent and a very bright future.

Branch is old, and hoyer has a 98% chance of not seeing the field anyways. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow shocked by the branch and hoyer cut. I wonder what they see in slater, ebert, and edelman. And if i had a guess, theyre keeping 5 running backs.

In edleman they see a wr a DB a Kick and punt returner, and an emergancy QB(he was a qb in college)

+1 but Branch and/or Gaffney will be back after week 1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If Ihedigbo is out that means Ebner is in as he was most likely the biggest obstical in the way

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hoyer also had a high cap number ($1.9M) for a backup QB, so don't be surprised to see him back in week 2 if he doesn't sign elsewhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Just got a call from BB, said he is looking for some WR's and come on down and try out....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

+1 but Branch and/or Gaffney will be back after week 1

In Slater they see a WR???  The guy that caught 1 pass last year.  My god Ocho caught 15. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Packers release Andrew Datko, WHO?  lol he's a Florida State OT who went undrafted.  He's 6'6" 315 nice feet but was called "underpowered".  He's good when zone blocking and getting to the second level but bull rushes can give him problems until he gets stronger.  As a PS guy he has upside.  He has really good technic so get him in the weight room.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

In Slater they see a WR???  The guy that caught 1 pass last year.  My god Ocho caught 15. 

Slater is a team captain, Ocho was a huge mistake that nobody would listen to me on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

What this all means is... I'm getting closer and closer to procuring a Nate Ebner jersey... and I never buy player jerseys.

I hear ya!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Basically, after all those FA signings, the only change at receiver is that Lloyd replaced Branch...

Incredible! BB never ceases to surprise!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I'm surprised to see Hoyer go.   Even Bedard called Mallett "mediocre" in the preseason.  I guess we just have to hope, as always that TB stays upright all year.

Meanwhile with cuts all over the league there will be bargains on Overstock.com

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Panthers waived CB Darius Butler.

Pick this guy up!... sorry... I had too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I wonder if Jesse Holley makes the team? I know that it sounds like a long shot but he looked okay in pre season, I think he made that nice one handed catch that was ruled out of bounds. 

Like I said, it's a long shot but one of these guys that looked like they were going to get cut are probably going to make it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I forgot about Ebert..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

On the topic of Packer WR's... I'm still pissed that BB passed up Randall Cobb for Shane Vereen, and I was someone who was high on Shane Vereen in the 2011 draft.

He also passed up Torrie Smith, who is an even better player. Smith could have been the deep threat that the Pats have been lacking. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I'm surprised to see Hoyer go.   Even Bedard called Mallett "mediocre" in the preseason.  I guess we just have to hope, as always that TB stays upright all year.

Meanwhile with cuts all over the league there will be bargains on Overstock.com

BB is risking carrying just two QBs, because he wanted the use of an extra roster spot, more than the tad of insurance that Hoyer could provide. I agree with this decision. I mean, let's be real...if anything serious happens to Tom Brady, the Pats are through, whether Hoyer is available or not. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Holley is cut.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Branch will be back and although I could see a team picking him up, this late into the preseason I think it will be unlikey. BB obviously has the confidence in the players on this team, can't beleive we need 5 RBs though, and I am sure he discussed this with Brady before cutting Branch.

Other teams have cut some interesting players, but I don't see BB going out and giving all these guys a shot.

As far as BB drafting Vereen, Torrie Smith and Randall Cobb are good, but, we had Ochocinco coming in and now that we have Lloyd our deep passing will be fine. Not to mention we don't through many deep passes anymore and BB has terrible luck drafting WRs. Whit that said I could see BB going after and WR in next years draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Branch will be back and although I could see a team picking him up, this late into the preseason I think it will be unlikey. BB obviously has the confidence in the players on this team, can't beleive we need 5 RBs though, and I am sure he discussed this with Brady before cutting Branch.

Other teams have cut some interesting players, but I don't see BB going out and giving all these guys a shot.

As far as BB drafting Vereen, Torrie Smith and Randall Cobb are good, but, we had Ochocinco coming in and now that we have Lloyd our deep passing will be fine. Not to mention we don't through many deep passes anymore and BB has terrible luck drafting WRs. Whit that said I could see BB going after and WR in next years draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Ebert made the team.  Riess already reported he is at practice.  Anyone cut or being cut is not at practice.

Clear to see there is a serious youth movement going on with these Pats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The Pats save virtually no money by cutting Branch and then bringing him back.  I think he may be gone for good.  Perhaps they didn't think Ebert wouldn't clear waivers or maybe he has looked good in practice or something.  As someone who attended a lot of NU games while he was there and was a huge fan of the pick I am glad they are keeping him around.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I guess a possibility I didn't think about with Branch is the option to bring him back later in the season as opposed to after week 1 as some have suggested (which as I noted in my previous post has little financial impact).  Perhaps by then an injury will open up a spot for him or something.  That at least kind of makes sense since it is pretty clear at this point that Branch can't make it through a full season at a high level.  Still I wouldn't be surprised if he is done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

UPDATE (4:45 P.M.) - Greg Bedard reports the Patriots have released Safety Sergio Brown. Brown confirmed the move a few minutes later on his Twitter page.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

Sections
Shortcuts