Damned if you do, damned if you don't

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

First many analysts were saying that the Patriots had to get a lot younger on  defense--they were too old and slow.  So the team goes out and trades some older players and gets a lot younger on defense, and now the analysts are saying the Patriots may suffer because they have gotten rid of too many veteran players.  What gives?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Re: Damned if you do, damned if you don't

In Response to Damned if you do, damned if you don't:
    [QUOTE]First many analysts were saying that the Patriots had to get a lot younger on  defense--they were too old and slow.  So the team goes out and trades some older players and gets a lot younger on defense, and now the analysts are saying the Patriots may suffer because they have gotten rid of too many veteran players.  What gives?
    Posted by newenglanderinexile[/QUOTE]

What gives is that Seymour is 29 - he is not old. Burgess is 31, Thomas is 32, if the Patriots were trying to get younger on defense than they would not trade for a 31 year old Burgess and trade away a 29 year old Seymour. That is not getting younger on defense - it is getting older on defense.

Seymour might have held out. Deion and Samuel were both traded - you can not keep everyone and the guys that are most likely to hold out are traded or let go by the Pats. Wilfork keeps saying he wants to stay - so they will keep him. Mankins keeps quiet - I am guessing the Pats appreciate that and will keep him.

The Seymour trade had NOTHING to do with getting younger. It was about getting a 1st round pick and saving the salary dollars to pay others. This was a long-term business decision - in the short term we are worse off - don't kid yourself. I am for the trade because I have been a Pats fan for 30 years and hope to be a Pats fan for another 30 years (that is a long-term view). But don't pretend that the Super Bowl ring in Feb of 2010 just got easier - it didn't. The ring in Feb 2010 just got harder. That is why the analysts are a bit concerned.