Dan lebatard: "i am legit concerned about Wes Welker's future, he's already showing signs of possible brain damage!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Dan lebatard:

I thought Welker had brain damage when he turned down 16 M guaranteed for 2 yrs   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing I find interesting is Collie, Stokley and now Welker have all had multiple concussions under Peyton Manning as the QB.  What is Manning doing to his slot guys?

Very good point.

[/QUOTE]

A couple of things that I see is that Peyton throws a "dirty" ball. The ball comes out of his hands with wobble and average velocity at best. Combine these aspects of his throws and you are buying the DBs/LBs that split second more time to react, close, and strike. That split second is many times the difference between allowing the receiver to protect himself after catch or being in process of catch and vulnerable at impact. Also, Peyton lacks the accuracy that Tom does. On quick slants, TB seems to always strike the #'s with a spiral while Peyton tends to always lead the receiver even in the middle which exposes them much more. Tom hits the runnig target with more velocity while Peyton leads the receiver with less velocity. Arm strength makes a huge difference for protecting receivers short and inside especially.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Welker has always been good at catching the short pass and hitting the deck before he gets nailed. When he fails at that he has a good chance of getting nailed by a LB. I haven't seen the play when he got hurt. Was it a LB or DB that hit him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

Benjamin Hochman, Denver Post: "The Broncos could very well win the Super Bowl. Will Wes Welker remember it?... He is no longer a football player. He is a roulette player."

Jeff Pearlman, longtime sportswriter and nationally known author, wrote on his website, in an open letter to Welker, that he ought to retire immediately: "You keep coming back. I don't think you're courageous. Or tough. I think you are stupid."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

Benjamin Hochman, Denver Post: "The Broncos could very well win the Super Bowl. Will Wes Welker remember it?... He is no longer a football player. He is a roulette player."

Jeff Pearlman, longtime sportswriter and nationally known author, wrote on his website, in an open letter to Welker, that he ought to retire immediately: "You keep coming back. I don't think you're courageous. Or tough. I think you are stupid."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

This is all on Welker. He had that scared look in his eyes with the playoff ball drops, because he knew what a hit could do to him. You don't play scared unless there's a reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was Peyton Manning who, for some reason was wearing the # 5 jersey in warmups, gave Pam Oliver a concussion.

[/QUOTE]

What a dousche move. Who is that QB for the Colts (#5)?  

[/QUOTE]

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/9/1/4682796/qb-chandler-harnishs-pass-that-hit-pam-oliver-gave-her-a-concussion

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsTxGrl. Show PatsTxGrl's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was Peyton Manning who, for some reason was wearing the # 5 jersey in warmups, gave Pam Oliver a concussion.

[/QUOTE]

I would have went over there and slapped the (bleep) out of him for that throw. Looks intentional!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i think WW took a few while at NE, and didn't let anyone know. dude got rocked a few times that i can rememeber

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

I hope that's not true...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

So...people take something Dan Leretard says and run with it!?!?!

W T F is going on...

In related news, The Onion named most reliable news outlet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Welker, as a tiny receiver, knew well the danger of playing the Hunger Game.  Fortunately for him and for his bank account, the New England Patriots rescued Welker in the prime of Tom Brady's career.

Tom is a pinpoint, short zippy pass thrower and a smart guy.  Whenever he hit Wes with a pass, Wes had a full two or three steps to either dodge a big hit or go down.

Wes, as a tiny receiver, had a policy of always going down fast if he had the first down, rather than taking the big hit.  He talked BB and TB into allowing him to voluntarily hit the turf rather than take a hit from the other team's enforcer.  BB could see the relative advantages of ball protection and receiver protection.  And so Wes had a number of good years with the Pats, marred by a simple untouched slip and fall on Houston's horrible turf which wrecked his ACL. 

Wes couldn't turn down the big Hunger Game money.  Peyton Manning in his twilight is a guy who can't put any zip on the ball whatsoever.  As a result, defenses often have an extra half-second to get to Wes and hit him while he's defenseless.

I can believe that Welker is brain damaged.  It's a shame. It happens a lot, and it's getting more prevalent as more NFL players realize the rules of the Hunger Game.  Injure and win, or you don't get paid.

It could have been prevented with a "you break it, you pay for it" NFL rule.

It could have been prevented with oversized concussion-minimizing helmets that reduce gee-forces on heads.

It's a free-market shame.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

That was Chandler Harnish.

No, it isn't Chandler Harnish.  It was Peyton Manning!

Look again....

manninghitoliver photo manninghitoliver_zps04093095.gif

Here is the first part in slow-mo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL cmon we all know thats not Peyton! he wishes he could throw that tight of a spiral and that hard to concuss someone LOL duckboyyyy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Dan Lebatard is about... Dan Lebatard. And more eyeballs for: Dan Lebatard. He is not an expert on this kind of diagnosis. 

I believe it is true that Welker is dropping more balls, especially in key situations. That's a nerves thing though IMO. If you had a concussion and it was impacting you, it would impact all your receptions not just the big ones Welker drops. 

Welker has an issue with pressure that has gotten worse (or was caused) by the drops. If he was being affected overall by concussions, Denver would have to put him on IR. But that's not generally how concussions work. 

But, if you asked me: will Welker have a tough life in 10-15 years based on worsening symptoms? I'd say, sadly, probably yes. But you don't know, and I don't know. 

That said I understand this a lot better than Lebatard. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dan Lebatard is about... Dan Lebatard. And more eyeballs for: Dan Lebatard. He is not an expert on this kind of diagnosis. 

I believe it is true that Welker is dropping more balls, especially in key situations. That's a nerves thing though IMO. If you had a concussion and it was impacting you, it would impact all your receptions not just the big ones Welker drops. 

Welker has an issue with pressure that has gotten worse (or was caused) by the drops. If he was being affected overall by concussions, Denver would have to put him on IR. But that's not generally how concussions work. 

But, if you asked me: will Welker have a tough life in 10-15 years based on worsening symptoms? I'd say, sadly, probably yes. But you don't know, and I don't know. 

That said I understand this a lot better than Lebatard. 

[/QUOTE]
    TARD IS BUT ONE EXPERT SAYING THIS.. PERIOD! its a loud echo chamber, reread my previous post per example...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

listened to the itunes archive of dan's radio show while getting some work done overnight.. was talking about gronk and about protecting players from head injuries. he knows wes from his miami days. was really concerned that wes was allowed to play after his first official concussion. dan says he's ben concerned for years esp after watching film of him at texas tech of wes being lit up again and again from obvious head shots mainly from special teams. he knows of the constant headaches and has heard some alarming backstage stuff.

he thinks wes has had dozens of concussions. he says he cant help but notice the same permanent, unnatural glazed look in wes' eyes that he once noticed with concern with Ali (esp before his trevor berbick match), and with chuck lindell and a few others of that ilk. feels that wes is "punch drunk" and needs an intervention. cant believe noone is coming to wes' aid for its so logically obvious... thinks the pats knew something. also feels that peyton isnt helping wes with all those flutter balls in tight windows. can see that wes is no longer getting the separation he used to and simply isnt quick enough to avoid certain hits anymore esp to his head.

dan doesnt like what he sees of him both on TV and lately in person. this is not the wes he came to know.. he really thinks something's off with wes healthwise and thinks he should seriously consider retiring after this year and shouldnt even  play again this year. dan feels wes will be a negative stat example like some of the old uys like the old pats RB (kevin something) who today cant speak and move himself, sad statistic of lou gehrig's disease. dan cant see how this can possibly end well for WES!

the more dan talked, more i begin to think wes' drops may be caused by some latent form of parkinsons and that his indecision on that key punt may be just another symptom of his issues. dan really has me concerned for the future of wes' life!

[/QUOTE]

The first sign was signing with the broncos for the same money as signing here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

As a person sure I hope he is okay I don't want to see anyone suffer a dibilitating or chronic injury. As far as his future in the NFL is concerned really isn't relevant to me he plays for another team. 

A few years down the road when they honor him at halftome at the razor I will most certainly give him a standing O. Until then he is dead to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

NFL needs a rule that after a concussion a player must sit out a minimum of X games. The player when he comes back must use any and all available concussion resistant head gear. They should also have devices in the helmet that registers impact numbers On head hits. 

If you have two concussions your are done for the rest of the year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Anyone looked closely at Lebetard lately.  He might also need a little medical attention

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I MUST REPEAT ONCE AGAIN...LMFAO!!!

Today has been funnier that Husbands of Hollywood!!

WAIT UP...THERE WAS A NOTE ON THE FOOTBALL...IT SAID,

"DEAR PAM...YOU GOTS BACK BABAYDOLL...WANNA MEET UP IN THE SMOSH PIT LATER..IMMA HOLLER AT YA LATER, YO!"

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!

No way, can't be funnier then Husbands of Hollywood! 

BTW,  "DEAR PAM...YOU GOTS BACK BABAYDOLL...WANNA MEET UP IN THE SMOSH PIT LATER..IMMA HOLLER AT YA LATER, YO!"    must be read in horse voice!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RallyC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

One thing I find interesting is Collie, Stokley and now Welker have all had multiple concussions under Peyton Manning as the QB.  What is Manning doing to his slot guys?

[/QUOTE]

Very good point.

[/QUOTE]

A couple of things that I see is that Peyton throws a "dirty" ball. The ball comes out of his hands with wobble and average velocity at best. Combine these aspects of his throws and you are buying the DBs/LBs that split second more time to react, close, and strike. That split second is many times the difference between allowing the receiver to protect himself after catch or being in process of catch and vulnerable at impact. Also, Peyton lacks the accuracy that Tom does. On quick slants, TB seems to always strike the #'s with a spiral while Peyton tends to always lead the receiver even in the middle which exposes them much more. Tom hits the runnig target with more velocity while Peyton leads the receiver with less velocity. Arm strength makes a huge difference for protecting receivers short and inside especially.  

[/QUOTE]

RALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!

I had a serious nerve injury in my my cervical spine, bad discs between C 5 and 6, and lost the use of my arms for close to a year, with another year of rehab to get back to almost normal...the nerves were damaged and they are still "growing back"..it's a slow painful process...it's not bad now but was very bad a few years back...the nerves impacted were the same one's Horseface had to rework...nerve regeneration is a slow process...the loss of strength and feeling into his fingertips will take the rest of his life given his age and activity level...yes, he has the best medicine and rehab can allow, but he'll never be 100%...I don't care what he says publicly, he's not the same Manning, can't be...years of hitting have done this to him, and he'll have to rehab to stay there after he retires..will the cold impact him...what do you think?...you should see me putting on my gloves outside...working the digits into glove fingers is a full time job....fatigue also slows your nerves down as well...so fatigue and cold hurts your ability to move the same way...it definitely will impact his ability to throw the football as his strength drops with the cold and fatigue...the loss of speed on his fastball leaves his receivers out there vulnerable to worse hits as they linger as tagets over the middle...just sayin'

[/QUOTE]

Damn MEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! This explains A LOT when it comes to your style, yu crazy bastid! Hey man, glad to hear you are ALMOST normal now. ;-) You keep us al laughing, thats for sure. Anyways, it sure would be interesting to hear what Wes would say as for who he prefers to catch balls from, and if he could speak honestly, I would love to know if he had it all to do over again, what would he say............regardless, in the end, I still truly believe it was the best decision to make for the Patriots. It is really proving out now, as always, WHEN IT MATTERS MOST. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

I've thought the same thing about Welker and some of his drops, the motor skills aren't working as well.  He's taken the worst shots in the NFL over the last handfull of years and it's taken an obvious toll.  I saw him in an interview before the Pats game a few weeks ago and he looked a little slow.  It's definately sad, and I'm just speaking from the gut with no evidence, but it's absolutely noticable and what I think of when I watch him in an interview.   I think Wes knows the score and accepts it, but ya, it's depressing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Man that BB always knows when to get out..

Seriously though, if there is any truth to this than he really needs to think about life after football. He isnt gonna win another ring playing with Pouty anyway. He has the stats. Just be happy with being the greatest slot WR to play and the fact you played with the 2 greatest QBs  of this era.... and call it quits. Noone will think less of him.

[/QUOTE]

Another ring? Wes was never on a SB winning team.