Dan Reeves opinion on MC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Dan Reeves is a well respected football man and people listen when he speaks. He is of the opinion that MC played well, but had a great supporting cast and might not fair as well on a weaker team...this is fair,does MC have year like he did if he took over for the Lions.... doubt it.

Today, former NFL coach Dan Reeves was posed the question.

“When I look at it, you factor in that he did a great job for them for one year, with a really good supporting cast. There are a lot of teams that don’t have the supporting cast – the offensive line, the running backs, the wide receivers, a good coaching staff that has been together for a while. There were a lot of things going for him. That’s not to diminish what he did, because I thought it was an incredible job, and all you can control is what you can control and Matt did a fantastic job. So he certainly made himself a lot of money. What is that worth? A lot will depend on what those other teams have in terms of a salary cap situation, what their draft situation is. There are a whole bunch of things and all it takes is one team. Giving up a number-one draft choice, though, I think that’s a steep price to pay in this case.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

I disagree with Mr. Reeves. Sure, Matt was surrounded by a good coaching staff, good cast of offensive players etc. But, isn't that what all teams are striving for? Would you draft or trade for a great QB and then surround him with horrible coaches, bad supporting cast of OL and WR's ?? Of course not! Your looking for a very good leader (check), a very good time manager(check), a very good on field decision maker (check) and in some instances a very good scrambler and passer (check) PLUS you'd want to surround him a very good supporting cast. A GM who hired say Tom Brady and then surrounded him with lesser talent would be fired! Most teams are trying to build exactly what NE has done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

If Matt Scwaub <sp?> was worth it, so is Matt Cassell. You'd trade for him and then build around him. Most successful teams draft or trade for a QB and then build around him. Those same teams would not build a great offense and then hope that a good QB falls in their lap, not saying it can't be done, just saying thats the more difficult way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Won't some teams be giving up first round draft choices for less proven college QB's this April anyway. It may cost them an extra pick also but I think he'll prove worth it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

If he was onthe Lions he would have been 0-16 but the Lions dont have the best coaching staff in football developing their talent so thats not really fair to cassel. He played big in big time games and went 11-5 as a starter that means something. I will keep saying it Matt Shoub started 2 games and only 2 games as a pro and the Texans gave up two 2nd round picks and swaped 1st rounders so if thats what Shoub was worht Cassel is worth way more and i dont care what a washed up over the hill bum of a coach has to say about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Oopps, forgot that Scwaub was traded for a swap of 1st rounders, and two #2's. Still applies though as Matt C DOES have experience ( and led them to a 11-5 record ) whereas Matt S did not. IMHO think he's worth a #1 and a #2 or a #1 and (2) #3's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Amen MVP.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Could it be that Dan Reeves still would favor Denver over the Pats? Could you imagine how many first round QB's that we could list that saw less time or played worse then Cassel (many of them were top 10 picks) on their first year & don't coaches & organizations try to win right away in the NFL?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Red & davidwa, I agree MC is worth a #1 plus additional picks. I think Reeves just meant that MC wouldn't have played as well so quickly for a weaker team. What people saw was what MC can do if they trade for him and surround with a good team. So now the teams that would be interested know they can win with MC -he's a proven QB. The Pats are the end result of what lesser/weaker will build towards and trading for MC will help meet that goal. Will he play as well for KC or Detroit next season as he did for the Pats I really doubt it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Our O line was banged up for a good part of last season. Our RB's also came up lame. And the receivers had trouble holding on to the ball at times. Yet Matt Cassel held the team together and threw for back to back 400 yard games at one point in the season. Dan Reeves needs to go back and look at the tapes. Matt Cassel is easily worth a first round pick. A top 5 pick to be exact.

-- dx

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

exacly Cassel was a rookie last year, other then the fact that he had 4 years in teh system but as far as playing time goes he was a rook and he did better then most top ten QBs do in their first year or hell he did better then most 1st round pick who have 4 years to learn. screw Reeves, there is a reason he has been out of football for years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Any QB would struggle without a good offensive line. Cassel has shown an ability to scramble when he needs to & he doesn't turn the ball over much. That's a couple of things that you look for when you have a turnstile Oline. I understand Reeves is looking at MC in context but not many first round QB picks are guaranteed stars.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Exactly Harley, if MC went to Detriot next year, would Detroit's GM and HC expect an 11-5 record? Not hardly, BUT they do know that if they build their team correctly over the next few years( aka NE ) that MC can lead them to a playoff spot perhaps even SB, though I think the Detriot fans would be happy just to make the playoffs, lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

To be totally honest i just want to sell the kid, i hope we get some draft picks for him but once he is gone all the luck to him but i dont think he will ever repeat the sucsess he had with NE but hey as long as we get the picks for him i dont care if he wins big or never lives up to his contract. 3 words.....not our problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

does MC have year like he did if he took over for the Lions.... doubt it.

Even if the Lions were to get Joe Montana in his prime they wouldn't have a winning season! Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisburger, none of these guys could lead the Lions to the playoffs with what they have in place now. That being said, there are teams out there who are only lacking a decent QB to become contenders. The Vikings especially. The Bucs could also be in that group. Maybe Reeves wouldn't give up a #1, but very seldom does any rookie QB come in and win right away. Guys like Ryan and Flacco are few and far between. Even Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his rookie season. With the constant changing of coaches, and the shorter patience of teams to win now, a guy like Cassel is gold. No learning curve from college to the pros. But I think that teams who already have a lot of pieces in place will be very interested in Matt. He's in his prime age wise, and hasn't been bangedaround a lot. It really doesn't matter what Reeves thinks, anyway. As far as I know he's not associated with any team who needs a QB!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

bub you are insane if you think Joe Montana wouldnt at least get the Lions a winning season. Maybe they wouldnt make the playoffs but if you give any one of those great QBs you named a WR named Calvin Johnson he is going to pass for at least 35 TDs in a season. And the Lions dont have a bad Oline either thats not one of their weaker spots so the QB would have time to throw and one of teh best young WRs in the game today. maybe a Phillip Rivers would have a sh*t year but thats cause he cant carry a franchise you put Montana on the Lions in his prime and they at least win 9 games. maaaaybe 8-8. Joe Montana is the greatest QB to ever QB give the man some credit. If the Lions had Montana the one thing holding them back is that poor a$$ defense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Dan Reeves is irrelevant. Didn’t he lose, like 4 Super Bowls (0-4).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

What Cassel is worth and what the Pats may be offered may be two different things. As I've said repeatedly in other posts, if Cassel were available for the upcoming college draft, he would be the top player selected, based on his 2008 season.

But, teams are very reluctant to trade away top draft picks. But, the bigger problem for the Pats is that any team that signs Matt is going to have to sign him to a long term deal, with lots of guaranteed money. After all, Matt is guaranteed $14.6 million this season alone. Accordingly, many will rationalize that they can get by with a less costly option...such as a Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Sage Rosenfelds, and Derek Anderson.

The best bet for the Pats seems to be the Minnesota Vikings. If they can swing a deal for the Vikes 22nd overall pick, and their 2nd rounder next season...that would seem to be something that the Pats would consider. I don't see Scott Pioli in KC trading away the 3rd overall pick. But, he might offer his 2nd rounder this year, and next. The Lions might pony up more (their 20th overall pick this year and 2nd rounder next), but I don't see Cassel being anxious to work out a contract with Detroit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

[Quote]Exactly Harley, if MC went to Detriot next year, would Detroit's GM and HC expect an 11-5 record? Not hardly, BUT they do know that if they build their team correctly over the next few years( aka NE ) that MC can lead them to a playoff spot perhaps even SB, though I think the Detriot fans would be happy just to make the playoffs, lol. [/Quote]

REDS, Playoffs! playoffs! are you kidding me playoffs. I think Detroit would be happy with a win....LOL!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Can't throw the ball as strong as Elway, can't run as fast as Steve Young. Players, coaches and fans get entranced by the physical attributes and fail to realise one minor detail. Quality teams win football games. Certain elements have to be in place to succeed and there is always a learning curve associated with playing in the pros. Cassel is at or close to his peak. Four years of tutelage from some of the best coaches in the league always helps regardless of what side of the ball your on. That is a slight advantage over most college draftees. I hate using cliches, but he continued to show marked improvement down the stretch.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

Hog is right.

Pick whatever you like or don't like about Matt Cassel and build your case around it. But one fact is undeniable: Cassel got better -- markedly better -- as the season progressed and that should be, above all else, the most important factor in evaluating him. It is the thing people like Tavaris Jackson and Derrick Anderson and, here's a good one -- Matt Leinart -- did not do.
    I'm not a stats guy or a combine guy. I just watch a lot of football, and it looks to me like this kid knows how to play quarterback.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Dan Reeves opinion on MC

How do we know that? Didn't Brady also win 11 games in his first year? The Pats defense was much better that year then what we saw from the Pats last year. If MC had R Seymour & Ty Law in their prime with that group of LB's on his team I think he'd won some games in the playoffs. We can't say he's as good as TB yet but we also can't say he's worse then TB at this stage of his career. He's less tested in the playoffs. IMO to let MC go isn't an easy decision. He's a rising star compared to a HOF, who let's face it, may be passing the prime of his career. ( I know that will be a popular statement lol & I'm rooting for TB just like all other Pat fans but I'm also being realistic) I can see the responses already 16-0, huge #'s & that's all true but ACL injuries can effect a career & TB's not getting younger. If the Pats are serious about trading MC maybe the first pick should be the best Olineman to better protect TB.

Sections
Shortcuts