Dane Fletcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Dane Fletcher

Well SMY reported today that our own Dane Fletcher has returned to practice after missing many weeks with a "thumb injury". Spikes was spotted also, albeit in civilian attire.

I've been waiting all season to see Dane done the jersey and get out there and be disruptive. BB himself has lauded him on several occasions, praising Dane for his great work ethic and progress since year 1.

Seeing Dane in preseason and some of the limited snaps he took last year, I had and still have very high hopes for this kid. He's exactly the infusion at LB that we need going down the stretch to spell White and Guyton. I'm not counting on him to be a starter yet, but showing up and practicing is a good first step.

If he is in shape, I believe he will contribute immediately. He's effective both in run and pass defense, and we even got a glimpse of him rushing the passer during preseason for a sack or two. I certainly think this helps the middle of our defense, and, could help our rushing the passer situation as well should BB use him in this regard as we saw preseason.

Assuming he whips himself into game shape quickly, who do you see as our starting LB's in the 4-3? Could he start for Nink on the outside, or sub in for Spikes/Nink on passing downs? Where do you guys seem him in the rotation?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Dane Fletcher

They seem to refuse to put Mayo back inside and Nink has been pretty consistenly playing the weakside so I would say he replaces Spikes in the middle on passing downs and run downs if Spikes isnt ready yet.

Last year I looked at Dane as a coverage/guyton type after impressing me in the colts game.

This year in preseason, he looked like a monster against the run so who knows....but guess who we have this week?  Could B.B. haven been holding out Dane just to play against the Colts and possibly cover D.Clark?

I would say so if Chung isnt ready and if it was just his thumb, his legs should be ok...we shall see

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The kid took advantage of his limited snaps last year. He tallied 23 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 interception, 1 FF, etc. Not bad production out of a kid who played DE in college and had to learn LB on the fly.

I see him much better against the run than Guyton, and I think he is as good or better than Guyton in the passing game. He also has some quickness to him, and in preseason, I was surprised to see him get in the backfield very quickly. If he is ready to go, he could be a very strong contributor for us this year and into the playoffs. Assuming he's healthy and ready, I instantly put him ahead of Guyton and White. That would make him the 4th LB in rotation, and he as you say, could spell Spikes or Nink.

I also think he gives BB more flexibility to move Mayo inside if he wishes, or do some different things with the 4-6 of them.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Well 1966 when you learn more about the game, then you will know why.

I am not here to teach and if you werent such a d ick all the time, I may have took the time to explain..

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

if you are referring to that old big red bag that momma used to hang up in the bathroom, no thats not me. Got me confused.

Like I said, if you werent tryna be the new rusty and hurl insults at everyone, maybe people would converse w/you.  If you really wanna know pay attention to the best (Tom Brady) when he calls out the mike and come back to me. hint: He calls out different people at different times, so its not ONE specific person thats the mike. It could be any backer depending on the alignment relative to strong side/weakside.  A Safety can be the mike too...

Also, I cant even remember that idiot V.Young ever calling out who was the mike anyway....not every qb does it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

At the risk of interfering with this exchange of pleasantries, I, too, am quite interested in seeing what Fletcher can do. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I assume Fletcher will get limited action until his conditioning is up to game standards.  I'm excited to see him out there, I liked how he played in the preseason.  This is good news going down the stretch and ready for the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Dane Fletcher:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dane Fletcher : If Mayo isn't inside, why was someone on the Iggles saying, "51 is the mike..."?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

It means that Mayo was the blitzer, that's what it means when an offense calls someone the mike. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

there you go again..  wont be making many friends that way....you sure you not taking Rusty place...?

Does this board just HAVE to have someone like you to stir things up?

were you created by the mods?  Keep throwing that word moron around. It sais more about you then it does about the person you are talking to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dane Fletcher : You obviously didn't pay attention. 

V Y didnt know what he was doing.... And he called Mayo Mike

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I didnt use that word, you did.  Gosh you arent so bright are you?  Thats what happens when you go up and down the board talking shyt to everyone, you cant keep up with who said what.

I only called you one name. Dick, and if you think about it, its not an insult. I am just calling you Richard. Thats your name right?

Have fun little guy. Im outta here!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dane Fletcher : OR the "middle linebacker".  Moron.

Not really, it doesn't mean that's he's playing the "middle linebacker", MORON. It's just to set up the blocking assignment. I could be wrong, never played football, but when you establish the Mike you giving the OLmen the blitzer they'll have to pick up. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I didn't intend for this post to be an education session about what "The Mike" means, but thanks for weighing in everyone.

Before we get back on the topic of DANE FLETCHER, I think the term "The Mike" can be used in different ways. First, When we hear BB say "The Mike", it typically refers to the Middle LB in a 4-3 defense.
    Second, when we hear the QB yell out "Number 53 is the Mike", I think what it means is that #53 is the only player NOT assigned a blocker/player". Meaning, he's assigned to the QB. So, in essence, "THe Mike" when called by the QB is to set the pass/run protection at the line, and can be anyone (usually an LB), that is NOT assigned a blocker or player from the offensive side of the ball..

I think that is right.

Okay...back to Fletcher. It appears folks like myself are excited about his return. Given he didn't have a knee, ankle or lower extremity injury, would it be safe to say he's been staying in somewhat decent condition? Not hitting people for sure, but hopefully that will speed his time to being productive.

Anyone care to discuss what you see as the starting LB and LB rotation once Dane makes his way back, and then into game shape?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

The 'Mike' linebacker generally refers to the MLB, however when the QB is naming him while setting protections, it refers to the player who the protection is based off of.

The O-Line reads the designated 'Mike' at the snap of the ball, and then goes from there. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE] I could be wrong, never played football. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

you shouldn't have said that.  around here it's better to lie about playing then admitting you never played. 

Just busting your balls!! Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Holy crap... It must get confusing when bruschi goes on mike &mike in the morning ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Fletcher has got talent, I'm just not sure a guy that has never really played linebacker in the nfl is going to come in and be of great assistance. He looked explosive in limited reps last year and during the pre season, but he looked lost to me when the regular season started (and really you can't blame him, he had no off season to learn the new position). Maybe he has learned a lot with the 12 weeks off?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I believe he injured his thumb early, tried to come back too soon and reinjured it. Hopefully he's 100% ready this time, cause we'll need every able-bodied player as we get ready for the stetch run. I think he's gonna help us alot if he stays healthy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No offseason really hurt his progress, but the funny thing is you wouldn't know that watching him in preseason. It's hard to think he regressed from preseason to the regular season. I think his problem is he was hurt early and never strung a bunch of consecutive games together to get it going. If you look at the limited games he played in this season, it's like he played week 1 and 2, missed week 3, played week 4, missed week 5, and his final game was week 6 vs Dallas. I still think he presents us a better option than Guyton and White. His return plus Spikes, Chung and McCourty down the stretch should improve things overall...

Sections
Shortcuts