Danny Amendola Signs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Danny Amendola Signs

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

Not dumping on Wes. Great Pat, but who wasn't cursing his name after his last 2 most memorable drops....

this is true but at least he was there. Do you think we can say the same for Amendola given his history?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

I knew Welker would never see anything better than the 16 million guaranteed and that offer last year.  His agent failed him badly and then his ego got bruised.  Welker made his choice and now a golden opportunity opens up for Amendola.

I wonder what the next move is?

How did his agent fail him?  He ended up with 21.5 million guaranteed over three years, rather than 16 million guaranteed over two. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to GrantW's comment:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Lose one receiver, add another: Patriots reach agreement in principle on five-year deal with former Ram Danny Amendola, per league source.

Lose one receiver, add 1/3 a receiver.

Hahahaha!! Perfect!! 

Dude, are you not a real patriots fan, or do you just have OCD?  Good god, you whine more than my ex wife and I didn't even beat her...that bad.  Take another sip of your half empty beer, relax, and try to enjoy your team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Amendola is a downgrade over Welker.. that's not including his durability issues either

Elaborate.  Comparing the two right now is moot considering Wes has had Brady throwing to him for the past 5 years while Danny has had Bradford. Comparing the two players before Wes came to the Pats would be more appropriate.  A huge IF, but IF Amendola can stay healthy, I do think he's a better choice.  Younger, better hands, a bit taller, and can work outside the hash marks as well as in the slot.  The connection to McDaniels makes it even more promising.  Good signing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I don't get it. They were willing to give $10MM guaranteed money to someone who

1) Has played only 10 games in the last two seasons, and

2) They have yet no way of knowing whether will have any chemistry with TB

$12MM for two years of almost certainly good numbers between TB and WW vs having to give away the $10MM over two years if Amendola does not work out. Interesting.

BB is playing the odds. He's betting Welker's age and miles might hamper his ability to be that Wes Welker weveryone knows.

On the flip side, he's playing the odds Amendola's injuries were freakish/not the norm and he's trying to get a player on the uptick. This is what BB does.

Whether it works or not, who knows.

that's an awfully huge gamble considering what they just spent. BTW Rusty so much for them changing up their offensive strategy. You don't pay a guy like that and expect him to not be a major part of the O 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Amendola's deal is actually more cap friendly than Welker's deal.

The 10Million guarantee only counts $2Mill per year. My guess is that they'll defer a lot of the other $21Mill salary toward the end of the contract.

This means that the cap hit of Amendola's contract will be about 1/2 of Welker's contract.

This allows us more cap space to get more players.

Great move IMHO.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

Amendola is a downgrade over Welker.. that's not including his durability issues either

Elaborate.  Comparing the two right now is moot considering Wes has had Brady throwing to him for the past 5 years while Danny has had Bradford. Comparing the two players before Wes came to the Pats would be more appropriate.  A huge IF, but IF Amendola can stay healthy, I do think he's a better choice.  Younger, better hands, a bit taller, and can work outside the hash marks as well as in the slot.  The connection to McDaniels makes it even more promising.  Good signing.

he is a more rounded player at this point....im happy with the signing.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I don't get it. They were willing to give $10MM guaranteed money to someone who

1) Has played only 10 games in the last two seasons, and

2) They have yet no way of knowing whether will have any chemistry with TB

$12MM for two years of almost certainly good numbers between TB and WW vs having to give away the $10MM over two years if Amendola does not work out. Interesting.

BB is playing the odds. He's betting Welker's age and miles might hamper his ability to be that Wes Welker weveryone knows.

On the flip side, he's playing the odds Amendola's injuries were freakish/not the norm and he's trying to get a player on the uptick. This is what BB does.

Whether it works or not, who knows.

and one becomes more injury prone with age.  Be ironic if Welker went down and Amen stayed healthy.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I too think this is a great signing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Wow this great!  That Pats get rid of one of the best and dependable WR's for an injury prone player that isn't half as good as Welker.   What's next, we give Chad Johnson Mike Wallace $$!

Beat it, troll.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I knew Welker would never see anything better than the 16 million guaranteed and that offer last year.  His agent failed him badly and then his ego got bruised.  Welker made his choice and now a golden opportunity opens up for Amendola.

How did his agent fail him?  He ended up with 21.5 million guaranteed over three years, rather than 16 million guaranteed over two. 

Breer said it was 12 million over 2 years. No?

I'm pretty sure he's including his franchise tag year with the 9.5 mil guaranteed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

amendola will spend more time on the bench injured than he does on the field playing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

This is a GREAT move by BB and the patriots.  Sorry to see Wes go - but Amendola will make you all forget about Welker.

The guy is the real deal.  He's not fragile - he's tough.  Has better hands than welker.

HUGE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Here is Amendola'a signing bonus....

TFB, I like most of your contributions, but you gotta get over the Wes departure, bro.  The NFL isn't for touching relationships; it is a business. Wes is getting long in the tooth, BB offered him a contract, Wes didn't want it, so BB spends the money elsewhere.  He's done this a million times in the past with fan-favorites and somehow we all get over it and fall in love with a new player. 

Danny is younger, more versatile, bigger, and has better hands.  IF he can stay healthy, this is a better investment.  Also, people are acting like injuries aren't a part of the contract.  Only 10M of the contract is guaranteed.  Relax, BB knows what he's doing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Injuries: Amendola basically had 2 freak injuries. 1) He broke his elbow while getting tackled in 2011, and 2) Broke his collarbone in 2012.

It's not like he keeps getting nagin injuries like a hammy or ankle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Here is Amendola'a signing bonus....

TFB, I like most of your contributions, but you gotta get over the Wes departure, bro.  The NFL isn't for touching relationships; it is a business. Wes is getting long in the tooth, BB offered him a contract, Wes didn't want it, so BB spends the money elsewhere.  He's done this a million times in the past with fan-favorites and somehow we all get over it and fall in love with a new player. 

Danny is younger, more versatile, bigger, and has better hands.  IF he can stay healthy, this is a better investment.  Also, people are acting like injuries aren't a part of the contract.  Only 10M of the contract is guaranteed.  Relax, BB knows what he's doing.

+++1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Amendola's deal is actually more cap friendly than Welker's deal.

The 10Million guarantee only counts $2Mill per year. My guess is that they'll defer a lot of the other $21Mill salary toward the end of the contract.

This means that the cap hit of Amendola's contract will be about 1/2 of Welker's contract.

This allows us more cap space to get more players.

Great move IMHO.

Good info, thanks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

I am glad that BB and Kraft do not consider this deal to be overpaying someone. I suppose because only 10 million is quaranteed. But that the whole amount of the 2 years contract they offered Welker.

The caveat for Amendola: when healthy, is important, and judgimg from his history, relevant. And being another player coming through on recommendation of mcDaniels, we hope he works out better than Llyod or Salas.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Breer said it was 12 million over 2 years. No?

Yeah, plus the 9.5 million he got under the franchise tag last year, which adds up to 21.5 over three years.  Essentially, Welker has another 5.5. million in guaranteed money for next year.  Could he have gotten a 5.5 million deal next year had he signed the Pats' two year 16 million deal last year?  Maybe.  But it's not certain.  For a receiver who didn't prove himself until his third contract, Welker is going to end up with pretty good guaranteed money over three years. I don't think his agent failed here. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

Does everyone feel better now?

not welker