Danny Amendola Signs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Danny Amendola Signs

Adam Caplan         Adam Caplan @caplannfl

Amendola's $10 M guaranteed money includes a $6 M signing bonus, per source.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hate all slot WRs and wish we'd get a 6'0+ WR, but at least Amedola is 5'11 and runs a 4.5 over 5'8 Welker running his 4.7....which would only get slower with age. 

18 million in spending room, boys! Let's fix that D!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Well, if money and no SB is the "better" deal, then so be it. The rest of us will root for the team and realize it's about the team, not one guy who you apparently have an unhealthy man crush over.

Dude, as of right now I would take the Broncos over the Patriots in a championship game.  Heck, everyone here was cheering for the Ravens to beat Denver because they were afraid of Manning and the Broncos.  Now look at the teams... You really think the Pats just got better and the Broncos just got worse?  You living on fantasy island dude!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I don't get it. They were willing to give $10MM guaranteed money to someone who

1) Has played only 10 games in the last two seasons, and

2) They have yet no way of knowing whether will have any chemistry with TB

$12MM for two years of almost certainly good numbers between TB and WW vs having to give away the $10MM over two years if Amendola does not work out. Interesting.

He's 5yrs YOUNGER!!  What's not to get about that?  It's called reloading.  Time marches on...  Troy Brown, Randy Moss,  Wes Welker to Danny Amendola.  It's a young man's game.  TB will have his day too... only QB's last longer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Well, if money and no SB is the "better" deal, then so be it. The rest of us will root for the team and realize it's about the team, not one guy who you apparently have an unhealthy man crush over.

Dude, as of right now I would take the Broncos over the Patriots in a championship game.  Heck, everyone here was cheering for the Ravens to beat Denver because they were afraid of Manning and the Broncos.  Now look at the teams... You really think the Pats just got better and the Broncos just got worse?  You living on fantasy island dude!!

Scoring points in the playoffs wasnt denver's problem, thier defense was. What have they done so far to make it better?? Them signing welker gives them less cap space to sign players on D. And they are also reportedly going to cut one of their best players on D in Elvis Dummerville because they cant afford him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Now, but if we resign Talib, sign a pass-rusher and sign Pollard...I'd take the Pats...100-1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I don't get it. They were willing to give $10MM guaranteed money to someone who

1) Has played only 10 games in the last two seasons, and

2) They have yet no way of knowing whether will have any chemistry with TB

$12MM for two years of almost certainly good numbers between TB and WW vs having to give away the $10MM over two years if Amendola does not work out. Interesting.

He's 5yrs YOUNGER!!  What's not to get about that?  It's called reloading.  Time marches on...  Troy Brown, Randy Moss,  Wes Welker to Danny Amendola.  It's a young man's game.  TB will have his day too... only QB's last longer.

Well... he sure does not stay on he field often enough for that age to matter. He's a young man trapped in an old fragile man's body.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

In response to millergrnv's comment:

In response to GrantW's comment:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Lose one receiver, add another: Patriots reach agreement in principle on five-year deal with former Ram Danny Amendola, per league source.

No surprise because it made sense that if Wes were to leave, bring in Amendola. This was their second option if Wes was gone.

Not paying Welker 12 million for 2 years pretty much says to me Amendola was there first option.  They wanted to get younger.  Agree with it or not, Pats decided now was the time to part ways with Welker.

The way the Patriots have done business is no different from 2000. Look at this like you would a stock market.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

Brady was a BETTER QB when Moss was dealt. Expect the same with Welker gone.

OMG!!  Do you seriously believe the crap you type?  Wow!!

It's true, for that season.  Moss' last couple games in New England, when he went off his meds, Brady started trying to force the ball to him to keep him happy.  I remember seeing it happening before the trade, and getting worried.  The same game that Moss had the incredible 1-handed TD over Revis, Brady forced TWO other balls to him that ended up INTs.

I don't agree with Rusty's theory that Brady will be better without Welker, but he definitely was better in 2010 after Moss was traded.

Rusty just says stuff to hear him self talk.  Most of it is bogus without any thing to back up his claims.  As a TFB fan I praise the lord that he had Wes Welker to throw to otherwise his numbers and seasons wouldn't be as good.  Really, who has Brady had to throw to??  AH81 and Gronk, both have missed a lot of time due to iinjury so thank goodness Welker was there!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well we replaced Seymore with Solder.  We stocked the O.  We did draft a few CB's, didn't work out but they tried. I think BB realized we turned into the Colts    Time to get back to business. Gettin Moss and Welker has to count as replacing branch and all the other toads that caught Brady passes.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I knew Welker would never see anything better than the 16 million guaranteed and that offer last year.  His agent failed him badly and then his ego got bruised.  Welker made his choice and now a golden opportunity opens up for Amendola.

I wonder what the next move is?

How did his agent fail him?  He ended up with 21.5 million guaranteed over three years, rather than 16 million guaranteed over two. 

Breer said it was 12 million over 2 years. No?

Yeah, plus the 9.5 million he got under the franchise tag last year, which adds up to 21.5 over three years.  Essentially, Welker has another 5.5. million in guaranteed money for next year.  Could he have gotten a 5.5 million deal next year had he signed the Pats' two year 16 million deal last year?  Maybe.  But it's not certain.  For a receiver who didn't prove himself until his third contract, Welker is going to end up with pretty good guaranteed money over three years. I don't think his agent failed here. 

Ahh. Well, 16 million guaranteed in 2012 and 2013 is better than only 9.5 for 1 year. That was sort of my point. If he got hurt last year, who knows what his value would have been as a FA.

Yes, his agent failed him.  He might have gotten a 3 year deal at 6 or 7 mil if he just took his price down from the outrageous 10 million per rumors he was looking for when negotiations.  He wanted money.  Then he got less than what he thought he was worth.

It limited the bidding for him and he ended up being annoyed by NE's 5 mil per offer but happy with Denver's 6 mil per?

It was totally botched.

Last year, I thought he'd  be happy with 3 years, 7 million per year.  Essentially, that's what he ended up with, just in a round about way. 

True, but I was under the impression, based on numerous reports that he wanted #1 WR money, which is 10 mil per.

I think this was more a situation where BB wanted Wes for 2012 and 2013 and the best offer Welker was going to see was 8 million and 16 million guaranteed.

He could have been a FA after 2013 and given it 1 more year here, though, which was his preference.

Whatever.  I almost feel bad for him if NE was to win a SB without him and Denver doesn't.

Good luck against an NFC team outdoors in windy NJ with Gomer in Feb, Wes.

I'm sure he wanted bigger money.  But that probably wasn't feasible last year or this.  Slots just don't get that kind of money.  Overall, I think he did pretty well, especially given the fact that he was working for his third contract.  Most guys make the big money with contract two.  By the time they get to the third contract they're getting old. 

True, but he's playing with Brady in a loaded offense, which was essentially BB and Kraft's case against him in negotiations.

I happen to side with BB and Kraft on the topic, because it's true.

That's not a knock on Welker.  You said yourself: The slot WR market isn't the perimeter WR market.

I don't think Wes saw it that way. It's a unique situation because he's the best slot WR I've ever seen.

It doesn't mean I open up a checkbook and overpay on past laurels, though.

It will be interesting to see the way the deal is structured. Overall, on a per-year basis, they're paying Amendola about the same as what Welker got. On the surface you could question whether giving up a proven guy for an unproven one makes sense when the cost of both is the same. But I assume Amendola's deal is structured to save cap space this year, which may allow them to sign another decent WR as well as a corner or two.  That may be the biggest attraction for Kraft  and BB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

I wouldn't. Their D blows. Who are their corners? Have you seen their Safeties?

Pretty sure I saw Jacoby Jones running past one of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Here is Amendola'a signing bonus....

TFB, I like most of your contributions, but you gotta get over the Wes departure, bro.  The NFL isn't for touching relationships; it is a business. Wes is getting long in the tooth, BB offered him a contract, Wes didn't want it, so BB spends the money elsewhere.  He's done this a million times in the past with fan-favorites and somehow we all get over it and fall in love with a new player. 

Danny is younger, more versatile, bigger, and has better hands.  IF he can stay healthy, this is a better investment.  Also, people are acting like injuries aren't a part of the contract.  Only 10M of the contract is guaranteed.  Relax, BB knows what he's doing.

Thanks!! This is a big gamble, especially with a guy who has missed the amount of games he has over the past couple of years.  Younger yet has missed more games.  Doesn't make me feel very comfortable especially at such an important position to the offense. 

Like I said a couple days ago on here, a few years ago I was calling Amendola Welker v2.0,  and then he got hurt.  Out for the season.  Then last year he got hurt.  Out for several games.  Then he came back and got hurt again.  Man, you really think this guy will hold up?  Brady likes to thread the needle, you really think Amendola can take the beating Welker has?  What I have witnessed these past two year I don't think he stands a chance.  I hope he does, It's not that I dislike the guy or dislike his play, I think if healthy he can do very well and could be the key here.  But it always goes back to his health... I just think he is made of glass.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Dude, I about died when I read this!!  That comment is crazy coming from here. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Amendola is a welker clone without the durability. Not being durable when your and undersized slot guy is not a good thing. Id rather have spent that money on jennings. Hopefully he can stay healthy. I wouldnt bet on it tho.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

More sure-handed
    Over the last three seasons, Welker’s reputation for being super-surehanded took a bit of a hit.

Lining up in the Slot Last Season (2012 including playoffs)  WelkerAmendola Rec per game 5.5 4.6 Yds per game 67.9 45.2 Drops 13 1

In that same stretch, Amendola has been what Welker used to be in terms of surehandedness.

Since 2010, Welker has caught passes at a rate of 12.5 receptions for every drop (326 catches, 26 drops).

Amendola’s success rate is considerably higher at 21.9 receptions per drop.

Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowest in the NFL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

if he stays healthy, the pats have just improved their chances of winning the super bowl with letting wes walk and signing amendola.

Explain, please.

I don't like the signing right now. Why not just give Welker the 6 mil if they're sticking with a slot guy? They're the same type of receiver only Welker is proven and Amendola is a health concern... Hope he proves me wrong but I honestly don't get it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

We gained a couple inches in height over WW. But we still need a 6'5 WR

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Army2LT's comment:

Other than being fragile, what do we know about Amendola?

Ive watched him play against the Niners. Hes pesky, qucik, is a high energy guy, has good hands, and will run through a brick wall. The down side is, hes more likely to get hurt by the falling bricks than Welker was. Thats the only concern I have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

1.  You have to admire the discipline of the Pats organization - because they just stuck to their guns and let a fan favorite walk.

2.  When people say Amendola is fragile - I know one thing - they've never seen him play.  The guy is a tough SOB and he will thrive in New England.  A broken collar bone and a broken elbow.  NOT fragile.  People who say he is fragile are dummies.

3.  The pats aren't done dealing - I think they add more offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

When Wes Welker came to New England he was nothing. I think we can do what we did to Welker to Amendola. Make him an Elite receiver.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

Well Denver just signed DRC so their corners are Champ Bailey and DRC. Thats a pretty good group 

25. This post has been removed.