Danny Amendola Signs

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Danny Amendola Signs

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Bro, I don't think you realize what he's trying to say.  He's basically emphasizing how much Brady did for Wes's career, and banking on similar results with Danny considering they had similar careers prior to coming to NE.  Do you really think Danny is only going to put up the numbers he did with STL, now with Brady throwing him the ball?  Did you think Wes was going to put up the numbers he did prior to coming to NE?  Look at it in a different context than just comparing past seasons of Danny and Wes.

I know, TFB is great, huge fan here as you all know.  But to give all the credit to Welkers success to TFB is pretty ignorant.  While Welker didn't make TFB you gotta admit Welker helped a lot.  Welker wasn't a system player here, he helped creat the system here with TFB. 

I'm not taking credit away from Wes.  I think he's a hard-working, tough-nosed SOB with some of the quickest feet in the NFL.  However, I'm trying to be realistic in evaluating both players and their future potential and I think the only appropriate way to do that would be to take into consideration what team Danny played for and who was throwing him the ball, prior to coming to NE.  I think Brady will put him on the map and make him a formidable  receiver*not just slot), which you best believe the media will continue to reiterate how he is a "Welker-clone".  

TFB, my bet is that you will be making photoshops of Danny after the first game, emphasizing how damn good he is.  I'm telling you, the kid is a stud.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

In response to UD6's comment:

Lloyd was so good he's essentially earned a ticket out of town.  

The question isn't whether Welker will be better elsewhere, but whether he will be good enough?  I'd imagine he'll be quite an upgrade over Brandon Stokely, who at 36, and after essentially a year off managed 45 catches.  

The other question is will the pats be better off without him?  

Also, how do you square that the pats paid Amendola more than Welker got?  It's been common knowledge on this board that Amendola isn't as good as Welker and is injury prone.  Why would the pats pay more if Amendola wasn't better?  

Really?  You have connections with Bill?  Enlighten us.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/report-patriots-got-tired-of-brandon-lloyds-behavior/

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Thanks, dude.  I get it.  But look what Welker did with Matt Cassel as QB. 

I wouldn't discount the number of years in the same offensive system or the system itself, Moss had a pretty good year with Cassel as well.  Had Cassel stayed in NE and Brady's career ended with a freak accident, Matt probably have been wildly successful instead of having his career go down the tubes.  I've said the same thing in the past about Tommy getting drafted by the Bengals instead of NE, he wouldn't be the same Tom Brady we know and love.  The QB fanatics here will disagree but that's the way it would have gone down, football is above all else a team sport.

All told a slot receiver with incredible lateral quickness can make a career pretty easy under the right circumstances, I think if you took Devon Bess or any number of young slot guys and brought them to NE right now they would be looking at catching 70-90 balls.  Welker's not going to fall off significantly because he gets to play with Peyton Manning but the Pat's offense will still be the best in the NFL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Moss was there.  Hitting a WR out of his break 5 yards away is not that hard. It really isn't. NE lost many close games in 2008 and 2009 with Cassel or Brady because they never really cared to use a run game, which means they lost a ton of close games with Brady or Cassel at QB.

You seem to enjoy losing games we should be winning.  When your offense sucks so bad in the postseason because it's so one dimensional, it's time to change it a bit.

That....is the crux of the matter....the fact the Welker had 120 catches might actually be a bad thing.

Good teams (read playoffs) with good defenses can stop a limited passing weapons (too bad Gronk was out again).

We need to get back to the '04 style teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The question isn't whether Welker will be better elsewhere, but whether he will be good enough?  I'd imagine he'll be quite an upgrade over Brandon Stokely, who at 36, and after essentially a year off managed 45 catches.  

Also, how do you square that the pats paid Amendola more than Welker got?  It's been common knowledge on this board that Amendola isn't as good as Welker and is injury prone.  Why would the pats pay more if Amendola wasn't better?  

He makes under 4 mil in 2013 with his stats likely to go up in 2013 barring him not being here with an upgrade.

How are those numbers with Gronk, Ballard, Hernandez and now Amendola supposed to be worse?

He's a bargain. I don't buy this release Lloyd talk. Yes, he was good, and he can be better.

Amendola is YOUNGER and got less guaranteed, moron. That means NE has more money to place elsewhere to help, you know, the TEAM.

Christ, I am thrilled this offense is now back to how it used to be where Brady didn't have a favorite or favorites and have still a load of cap space to boot.

How's he make under 4 million with a 10 million signing bonus?  Riddle me that.

I don't know what Amendola's 1st yr salary is but assuming its about 4 million, if he doesn't work out and the pats cut him after a year, then his hit is 14 million. 

I am not saying Amendola is a bad pick, but his learning curve is going to be substantial whereas Welker was a sure thing. 

Further, I don't really understand this angst about his and Brady's comfort with each other.  As you noted Lloyd (a first year player on the team) had 75 catches.  Then there's Gronkowski and Hernandez and Branch.  What Welker did was extraordinary for this team.  Not saying Amendola won't be the same, but not next year.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

He makes under 4 mil in 2013 with his stats likely to go up in 2013 barring him not being here with an upgrade.

How are those numbers with Gronk, Ballard, Hernandez and now Amendola supposed to be worse?

He's a bargain. I don't buy this release Lloyd talk. Yes, he was good, and he can be better.

Amendola is YOUNGER and got less guaranteed, moron. That means NE has more money to place elsewhere to help, you know, the TEAM.

Christ, I am thrilled this offense is now back to how it used to be where Brady didn't have a favorite or favorites and have still a load of cap space to boot.

I don't know what Amendola's 1st yr salary is but assuming its about 4 million, if he doesn't work out and the pats cut him after a year, then his hit is 14 million. 

I am not saying Amendola is a bad pick, but his learning curve is going to be substantial whereas Welker was a sure thing. 

Further, I don't really understand this angst about his and Brady's comfort with each other.  As you noted Lloyd (a first year player on the team) had 75 catches.  Then there's Gronkowski and Hernandez and Branch.  What Welker did was extraordinary for this team.  Not saying Amendola won't be the same, but not next year.

you're right that we probobaly wont see the numbers from amendola right away that we say from welker....but thats the thing, i dont think we need to. you use a balanced attack, play-action, get the running backs involved in screens out of the backfield, and keep throwing the ball to gronk, hern, ballard, lloyd, etc...amendola could have a great year here with 70-80 catches.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

UD6, I don't think you're comprehending how salaries and guaranteed money works.

This is how I see Amendola's contract:

$10 million guranteed over 5 years means that only $2 million counts against the cap each year.

What teams usually do (we'll get the details at some point), is they back load the remaining $$ of the contract to make the cap hit very team friendly in the first few years.

That's why Flacco signed a $120 million contract, but the cap hit in the first year is only $6.7 million. The 4th year of Flacco's contract has a cap hit of $29 million, something the Ravens will never pay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Danny Amendola "The Catch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D93ln0Dp9M

BUT THE QB DIDN'T THROW THE BALL IN HIS CHEST AND IN STRIDE!!! NFL PLAYERS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO CATCH NON-PERFECT THROWS!!!

OMG!! Really, is that the best you can do?  Seriously, there are many more amazing Welker catches then that.  There are so many more amazing Welker catches then you can dig up of amazing Amendola catches.  Stop trying to justify this move.  Let's see what Amendola does this season before you even start trying to compare Amendola to Welker.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Think back to this time last year.The Pats were going after Amendola really hard before franchising Welker.So why this is a big surprise to so many flies in the face of what transpired last year.Facts are that he's four years younger,a bit bigger,faster and he does have incredible hands.Will he stay healthy?who knows but we do know that N.E. has been interested for at least a full year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to kebbe's comment:

Think back to this time last year.The Pats were going after Amendola really hard before franchising Welker.So why this is a big surprise to so many flies in the face of what transpired last year.Facts are that he's four years younger,a bit bigger,faster and he does have incredible hands.Will he stay healthy?who knows but we do know that N.E. has been interested for at least a full year.

I think all Pats fans, me included, knew there was a day that Amendola would be here. I mean he has been on the radar of all us Pats fans for a while.  But the problem is we thought it would come when Welker declined.  Instead it comes at a time Welker had another amazing season and after two years of Amendola not being able to stay on the field.  One of which he missed the entire season with the exception of one game.  It's a win now situation with TFB, this is a big risk, IMO.  I know I'm not the only one who does not like this move at this time.  So many more holes to fix instead of one they just made changes to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

The way i look at this is this: When we got Welker he was NOTHING. Danny Amendola has already proved that he is a GOOD receiver if we can progress Danny like we did Wes this could be a great move. Im a HUGE Welker fan and I think this is a good move for the Patriots. Amendola is hjust like a young Welker but taller and faster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

In response to kebbe's comment:

I think all Pats fans, me included, knew there was a day that Amendola would be here. I mean he has been on the radar of all us Pats fans for a while.  But the problem is we thought it would come when Welker declined.  Instead it comes at a time Welker had another amazing season and after two years of Amendola not being able to stay on the field.  One of which he missed the entire season with the exception of one game.  It's a win now situation with TFB, this is a big risk, IMO.  I know I'm not the only one who does not like this move at this time.  So many more holes to fix instead of one they just made changes to.

But when welker was on the decline in two to three years Amendola would have three to two years left as an Eagle or Ram. The Pats had to make this move NOW

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Danny Amendola "The Catch"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D93ln0Dp9M

BUT THE QB DIDN'T THROW THE BALL IN HIS CHEST AND IN STRIDE!!! NFL PLAYERS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO CATCH NON-PERFECT THROWS!!!

Let me preface this by saying I have no issue with the swap at WR.

However you are being disingenuous doing your typical paint half a picture thing. 

How many times do you think Amendola makes that catch out of 10? One? Two maybe?

Was that catch in a superbowl with the game on the line?

Oh wait Amendola did not even handle doing the following basic fundamentals in a regular season game...

1) Have the field awareness to get himself beyond the 1st down marker after breaking off his route.

2) Have the situational football sense to know he had not been touched to immediately get up and lunge forward for the 1st down after making the catch. Probably too stunned he made the catch.

...and not like Welker has not made some of his own fantastic catches here in NE. Like this one in the divisional round.

..at least that's the full truth and not talking some BS just because he's no longer a Patriot and I'm rooting for Amendola.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Out of curiosity, why Amendola over Edelman? I see two indentical players when I watch them play.

Thoughts on this?

They may still resign Edelman.

Amendola has been a WR all through college and a good one with very good hands.

Edelman is a superior athlete to Amendola or Welker. He's faster, quicker, better COD, Jumps higher, is stronger, etc.

You don't just learn the craft and gyle of being a very good and consistent WR in just a couple years however. That's what slows Edelman from truely excelling.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Pray to god he can stay healthy...we already have Gronk and Hern having trouble staying healthy.

Well obviously Welker did not want our contract so we are going forward with Arman DOLA hope it works-if it does BB is a genius!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Welker's gone, Amendola's signed.  Time to move on.  All in all, I like the signing.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.