Danny Amendola?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Danny Amendola?

Check out this article from Mike Reiss on the Patriots's free-agency situation. 

Something jumped out at me: 

"3. Radio host Scott Zolak of 98.5 The Sports Hub tweeted this morning that restricted free-agent receiver Danny Amendola was spotted at Patriot Place last night. ESPNBoston is working to confirm Amendola's presence in town. Could the Patriots be preparing an offer sheet for Amendola, who is a Wes Welker-type player? This is a story we will be following up on today, as it could have a major ripple effect on Welker and the franchise tag. Amendola was tendered at the second-round level, and the Patriots have two second-round picks. If they were to sign him to an offer sheet, and the Rams didn't match, it would cost a second-round pick (similar to Welker in 2007)."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we do indeed acquire Amendola, I could see it potentially spelling the end of Wes's career in a New England Patriots uniform. Fact of the matter is, Wes is eating up a lot of cap room this season with his franchise tag, and given how the market for WRs has skyrocketted, I think he'll be tough to keep around at this point. Amendola clearly has the physical skills -- he appears to have more straight line speed than Welker, but more quickness in small areas than Edelman. I think you're getting a Welker-Edelman hybrid with this guy, and he has great hands to top it all off. 

The question with incoming receivers is about their ability to learn our offense. It seems to be a struggle for a lot of new guys. Given that Amendola has played in a McDaniels scheme before, I think it would be of little concern to Belichick.

Discuss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Danny Amendola?

Wes is gone after this year imo.  With scrubs (compared to Wes) like Garcon and Morgan getting 6-8 million per year this offseason the market is totally whack.  I guess it's possible that next offseason the market won't be as hot because teams won't have as much cap space to burn in which case the Pats would have more leverage, but if he wants to get paid he can still probably get it elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

They could then trade Welker, that is, if Welker signs the tag.  If they do sign Amendola, with possibly Anthony GOnzalez coming in to force Amendola's hand, then Welker has lost his leverage. At worst, if Welker plays out his tagged deal, Amendola is the replacement as noted above.

The thing is, Welker would command a 1st rd pick.  Tempting.  I know many don't want to even consider this option, but this where BB's genius comes into play. Preying on other teams' desperation and lack of understanding market value.

But, you'd only deal him to an NFC team. Gee, TB has plenty of room, maybe Wes would like to play in Tampa Bay with his new coach Greg Schiano?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Follow up question: Would you rather have Lloyd/Amendola with Edelman as a reserve slot WR or Wes Welker?

I choose option A.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

If we get Amendola, Wes is gone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Pick up Amendola, Edelman isn't going to cut it as a backup to Wes.  I could see them picking up Amendola and get him ready to possibly replace Welker in the future. I don't see Welker going anywhere this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

How do we know it wasnt Wes at Patriots Place. Everyone sais Amendola is a Welker clone right??

Not even close.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Here's the thing -- I love Wes to death. From his tounge-in-cheek comments about Rex Ryan, to his hard-work, to his toughness and grit, and his general demeanor. 

But if the rumors about him turning down a pretty nice contract during the season are true, topped off with the apparent tendency to drop passes from time to time, especially in important situations, has begun to turn me off to him. I think the coaching staff feels the same way, as evidenced by their actions.

It used to be, "I couldn't see this team without Wes."

Now it's, "I'd still like to have Wes, but if we want to bring in more youthful players and unload Wes and his price-tag, I won't complain."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

How about this ( and I know its beating a dead horse, but) sign Amendola, then trade welker for picks. This could allow NE to possibly sign Wallace to offer sheet. NE gets a good slot, a legit deep threat and picks to boot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In Response to Re: Danny Amendola?:
    [QUOTE]How do we know it wasnt Wes at Patriots Place. Everyone sais Amendola is a Welker clone right?? Not even close.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

There's a pretty clear difference between the two. 

VS.

Plus, Amendola has a solid 2 inches on Wes. I doubt they'd mix the two up. If you were being sarcastic, then I apologize.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Im with you Vertigo. If we pay Wes # 1 money, we cant bring in a true # 1 and by all accounts, Wes is not the dominant guy you can go to in the clutch for that much needed 1st down.

If he is doubled, he is done. He cant outjump anyone and if he was taller, he easily makes that catch in the SB. I like him but if we pay him # 1 money we are doing an injustice to our team and not giving ourselves a chance to evolve, IMO

Only guy I would pay # 1 to now is Wallace and I still wouldnt want him getting over 20 mill/garuanteed which is most likely what he will get

and yes, I was being sarcastic, but when you post the pics, they do have that stubble going, but Wes has the Bug Eyes and Danny looks like he smoked a joint...lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]Im with you Vertigo. If we pay Wes # 1 money, we cant bring in a true # 1 and be all accounts, Wes is not the dominant guy you can goto in the clutch for that much needed 1st down. If he is doubled, he is done. HE cant outjump anyone and if he was taller, he easily makes that catch in the SB. I like him but if we pay him # 1 money we are doing an injustice to our team and not giving ourselves a chance to evolve, IMO Only guy I would pay # 1 to now is Wallace and I still wouldnt want him getting over 20 mill/garuanteed which is most likely what he will get

Amen.

The only 'if' about Amendola is whether he'd have the remarkable chemistry with Brady that Wes has. As far as measureables (quickness, size, speed) he's everything that Welker is, and more. He's a slot-type receiver through and through. Understanding of the offense wouldn't be a problem given that he played under McDaniels.

The only question mark would be his ability to get synched-up with Brady. That is something you'll never be able to know until you sign him. I think it's worth the risk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Not so fast, my friends...

MikeReiss Mike Reiss
    Danny Amendola sighting in Boston by @scottzolak creates little stir among reporters. Amendola might have been in town due 2 death in family

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

But still, the fact that he was at Patriot Place shouldn't be disregarded. 

Just gotta wait and see what happens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]How do we know it wasnt Wes at Patriots Place. Everyone sais Amendola is a Welker clone right?? Not even close.

Not a clone, but pretty similar. Same basic size, played same position at the same college. Both UDFAs.

The rest? 

Welker: 8 seasons, 650 rec, 7,200 yards and 32 TDs in 124 games.

Amendola: 3 seasons, 133/1,060/4/31

But in Welker's first three years with Miami he had 96/1,121/1/46. So pretty similar.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ceege. Show Ceege's posts

Is it possible that this is an insurance policy in case Welker holds out?

I believe that both Amendola and Gonzalez are a security blanket.  Its not a coincidence that they are coming here a day after all the big WR deals.  Welker is going to want $10+ million a year.  Not going to happen.  So a hold out is possible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I like Vert's comparison. He is a hybrid of Welker and Edelman. Not as good as Welker but better then Edelman.

The only way I like this move would be if:

A) We trade Welker for a top 20 pick this year to offset the lose in production and the 2nd round pick for Amendola

B) If the cap space saved on Amendola compared to Welker is actually used on some top end FA's to fix some major holes on the D AND Amendola can give you 80% of Welkers production

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

wes still looks like spiderman

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Is it possible that this is an insurance policy in case Welker holds out? I believe that both Amendola and Gonzalez are a security blanket.  Its not a coincidence that they are coming here a day after all the big WR deals.  Welker is going to want $10+ million a year.  Not going to happen.  So a hold out is possible.
    Posted by Ceege[/QUOTE]

Welker won't holdout!  Guaranteed!! He will play with the tag, gotta drag that dude off the field kicking and screaming for him not to play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ceege. Show Ceege's posts

Why wouldn't he hold out? 

He will be 31 this year.  If he signs the tag , the Pats could tag him again next year.  He will be 33 going into free agency.  I think he wants a bigger deal, and he deserves it.  The money being thrown at WRs now is crazy but if anyone deserves it he does.

His stats were comparable to:

Calvin Johnson 96/1681yds/16TDs
    Jackson 60/1106yds/9TDs
    Welker 122/1569yds/9TDs 

He is inline for a big deal now.

Then there is the injury concern.  This guy gets lit up all the time......

I hope he signs but I don't think it is far from a done deal IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Why wouldn't he hold out?  He will be 31 this year.  If he signs the tag , the Pats could tag him again next year.  He will be 33 going into free agency....

Posted by Ceege[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why he won't get anything close to those other guys. Too old and too much mileage. I could see three years at maybe $25 mil, with a bunch up front, or maybe with a fourth year at $15 mil that he'll never see. Then he (and his agent) can say they got a $40 mil deal like Garcon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Don't we have enough slow, short white guys at WR??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

In response to "Re: Danny Amendola?": [QUOTE]Why wouldn't he hold out?  He will be 31 this year.  If he signs the tag , the Pats could tag him again next year.  He will be 33 going into free agency.  I think he wants a bigger deal, and he deserves it.  The money being thrown at WRs now is crazy but if anyone deserves it he does. His stats were comparable to:   Calvin Johnson 96/1681yds/16TDs Jackson 60/1106yds/9TDs Welker 122/1569yds/9TDs  He is inline for a big deal now. Then there is the injury concern.  This guy gets lit up all the time......  I hope he signs but I don't think it is far from a done deal IMO. Posted by Ceege[/QUOTE] I love wes, but he's older than both of those guys, and a not really a deep threat like those guys are. That's why he's not getting similar money/years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

All white people look alike.  And I should know.  I'm white.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]Don't we have enough slow, short white guys at WR??
    Posted by theshinez[/QUOTE]

It's really not worth responding to this post, but I will.

You're a moron. Please leave.