Danny Woodhead is a tiny beast

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

Danny Woodhead is a tiny beast

Wes Welker is a shifty beast
    Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is a reliable beast

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Danny Woodhead is a tiny beast

If we keep over utilizing him he's going to be a short career beast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

In Response to Re: Danny Woodhead is a tiny beast:
    [QUOTE]If we keep over utilizing him he going to be a short career beast.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

No Sh1t, a body that small can only take so much of a pounding.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Just now realizing this? We found that out last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginiaPats. Show VirginiaPats's posts

Don't know about him not being able to take a pounding, he is actually bigger than MiniMac from back in the day, and Mini played during the days of pound the ball , pound the ball , and then pound the ball again. Sometimes you just gotta trust those little guys lightning speed will keep them safe from harm, have you ever noticed how low he can get when someone is about to Whack him. (though i will point out that MiniMac was pretty doped up on cocaine so he may not have felt those hits much).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

[QUOTE]Don't know about him not being able to take a pounding, he is actually bigger than MiniMac from back in the day, and Mini played during the days of pound the ball , pound the ball , and then pound the ball again. Sometimes you just gotta trust those little guys lightning speed will keep them safe from harm, have you ever noticed how low he can get when someone is about to Whack him. (though i will point out that MiniMac was pretty doped up on cocaine so he may not have felt those hits much).
    Posted by VirginiaPats[/QUOTE]

Sorry who's min mac?  Cocaine you talking about dave megget?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

[QUOTE]If we keep over utilizing him he going to be a short career beast.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Agreed but we did draft 2 RBs so hopefully he is more a 3rd down change of pace back, 
    TCal thank you btw for pulling up my old Sanders post, did you have to go back and search for it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny Woodhead is a tiny beast : Agreed but we did draft 2 RBs so hopefully he is more a 3rd down change of pace back,  TCal thank you btw for pulling up my old Sanders post, did you have to go back and search for it?
    Posted by Michael02127[/QUOTE]

You called it Michael and deserved credit for it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

the intent of this was just to call everybody a beast of some variety

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginiaPats. Show VirginiaPats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny Woodhead is a tiny beast : Sorry who's min mac?  Cocaine you talking about dave megget?
    Posted by Michael02127[/QUOTE]

I keep forgetting how young and new to New England Fandom alot of you are :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Herron

Standing 5 feet, 5½ inches and weighing in at a slim 170 lbs, Herron was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the sixth round of the 1970 NFL Draft, but joined the Canadian Football League out of college.In 1972, while playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, he won the Eddie James Memorial Trophy for being the leading rusher in the CFL's West Division.

He stepped into the NFL spotlight in 1973, after a short but memorable career in the CFL, when he joined the Patriots. In three seasons, (3 with New England and 1 with the Atlanta Falcons) he gained 1,298 rushing yards and 9 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 61 passes in his career for 789 yards and 6 touchdowns.

After leading the NFL in kickoff returns and kickoff return yardage in 1973, Herron's best season was 1974 with the Patriots, when he set the then-NFL record for all-purpose yards with 2,444. He remains 16th all time in career punt return average and 86th in kickoff return average.

Herron, now 62, is a devout Muslim who does not drink or smoke, but has been arrested some 20 times and served jail time, mainly on drug convictions

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]If we keep over utilizing him he's going to be a short career beast.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Does this guy take the worst hits you've ever seen or what? Look at the guys that played a long time; Curtis Martin, Emmitt, Tomlinson, on and on...you almost never see them taking some of the hits this guy takes. Can't see him lasting more than a couple years more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]Don't know about him not being able to take a pounding, he is actually bigger than MiniMac from back in the day, and Mini played during the days of pound the ball , pound the ball , and then pound the ball again. Sometimes you just gotta trust those little guys lightning speed will keep them safe from harm, have you ever noticed how low he can get when someone is about to Whack him. (though i will point out that MiniMac was pretty doped up on cocaine so he may not have felt those hits much).
    Posted by VirginiaPats[/QUOTE]

MiniMac played back in the early 70's.  Players are a lot bigger, faster and stronger today.  Based on the physics that means they hit a lot harder also.

The ave size of NFL Players.

Weight

1973       DE         253 
    2006                   263

1973        DT        275
    2006                   306   

1973       NT         249
    2006                    301

1973       LB          226
    2006                    237

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

Haynesworth is a "Dollar Menu" Beast!! And I knew Woodhead was a Beast when I saw him on hardknocks...Then saw it in person when he played his first game with the Pats against Buffalo......Hope he stays healthy!! Is it almost Week one yet?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginiaPats. Show VirginiaPats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Danny Woodhead is a tiny beast : MiniMac played back in the early 70's.  Players are a lot bigger, faster and stronger today.  Based on the physics that means they hit a lot harder also. The ave size of NFL Players.                           Weight 1973       DE         253  2006                   263 1973        DT        275 2006                   306    1973       NT         249 2006                    301 1973       LB          226 2006                    237
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Okay, so for comparisons sake
    Danny Woodhead - 5'8" 195
    Mack Heron     - 5'5.5" 170

this fall in line with your assesment that they are bigger, which means even the smaller backs are bigger hence they should be able to handle the Hits over time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

I hate when people assume smaller players cannot hold up to a pounding. I am about 5'7 180, and I absolutely truck people when running the ball. It's more about how you use your body than anything else. Also, while playing defense, I've flattened 260 pounders with ease--in fact, in one game I played, the players started going down rather than getting tackled by me. I destroy people. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I don't understand what being short has to do with taking a pounding in the NFL.  Yes, Woodhead is short, but in terms of build and bulk, he's up there with anyone.  The guy's legs are tree trunks, and he's got a thick upper body as well.  Height has nothing to do with durability.  If anything, the fact that he is so short and runs so low limits the big hits that he takes.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Welker has an entire philosophy of how to avoid hits.  If he has the first down, or if the first down is miles away, he goes down early rather than absorb a hit.  When it's a critical play, as in him tackling someone after an interception, Welker sacrifices his body.  BB lets Welker selectively go down, because Wes Welker has so much use to the team when he stays healthy.

Woodhead is learning from this guru, and that's a good sign for Woodhead's longevity.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ahh "beast", the most over-utilized adjective on BDC.

Oh how I long for the day that this word is permanently stripped from the American sporting lexicon, unfortunately I doubt it ever will be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

The worst thing is when a reporter asks a player if they are a quiet leader or vocal leader- how tired is that f.rickin question

[QUOTE]Ahh "beast", the most over-utilized adjective on BDC. Oh how I long for the day that this word is permanently stripped from the American sporting lexicon, unfortunately I doubt it ever will be.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

There is a reason why Boxing and Wrestling have weight classes.  Size does matter.

Wes Welker is one tough sob.  Unfortunately he's is also probably well on the way to being a complete vegetable in 20 years.  The dude has taken an extraordinary amount of head shots just in the time I've been watching him (since 2007).  I actually cringe every time he gets hit and hope he gets up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't think it's all that big a deal.  Woodhead had 97 carries last year, about 7 per game.  Compare that to Chris Johnson who had 316 (20 per game) and actually weighs ten pounds less.  I agree with whoever said it's about their build, if he was skinny it would take a bigger toll.  He is the same weight as Kevin Faulk who is still playing at 35. 

Ty Warren was 6'5 and weighed 300lbs and couldn't stay healthy. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think anyone with a "regular guy" build who can step on an NFL field and be tackled by some pretty big and fast NFL defenders and live to make another play is a beast.  How many of us would go on IR after the first series....

Yeah, I'll go with Woodhead is a beast.

Sections
Shortcuts