Danny Woodhead our Sproles?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from riogrande100. Show riogrande100's posts

Danny Woodhead our Sproles?

I was looking at danny Woodhead pro day stats and with his 40 timed around 4.3 to 4.38 was wondering if he could more be our sproles then Faulk replacement. I believe that because of his speed, size and cutting ability we could use him for some screen plays. Throw in our tight ends into the mix can create some interesting plays

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Re: Danny Woodhead our Sproles?

In Response to Danny Woodhead our Sproles?:
    [QUOTE]I was looking at danny Woodhead pro day stats and with his 40 timed around 4.3 to 4.38 was wondering if he could more be our sproles then Faulk replacement. I believe that because of his speed, size and cutting ability we could use him for some screen plays. Throw in our tight ends into the mix can create some interesting plays
    Posted by riogrande100[/QUOTE]

Sproles, Megget, Faulk, Woodhead all 3rd down backs - moot point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Danny Woodhead our Sproles?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Danny Woodhead our Sproles? : Sproles, Megget, Faulk, Woodhead all 3rd down backs - moot point.
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE]

It's not a moot point, it is a solid point

No way was Faulk running a 4.4 40 the last few years

Faulk was more a smart reliable, pass-catching 3rd down back who took teams by surprise as a runner.

Woodhead is more like Sproles than Faulk and can hopefully be a similar dangerous little rusher who jukes and jives and frustrates much bigger players.

We have yet to see if Woodhead is like Faulk when it comes to catching passes, but THAT is the moot point, b/c hopefully Hernandez takes that role. Our two rookie TE's are way too talented to split time, and I think Tate is way too talented to be benched for tons of 2 TE's sets.

So...

Hernandez gets the H-brack role, can catch for possession against DB's (like faulk) or make you miss and squirt for the extra 2-3 (and the 1st down) when you try to use linebackers to cover him.

The combo of Woodhead/Hernandez hopefully more than makes up for no Faulk. 

Tate, Welker (b/c of knee improving), Edelman, Woodhead, BJGE, Gronk and Hernandez should only get BETTER as the season goes on...

So if vets like Brady, Crumpler, Taylor, Moss, Morris and the entire 0-line can stay healthy throughout, this could be one of the best offenses of all time.

I'd love to see them try to move Morris and a pick for a better everydown RB tho, esp if Taylor is going to limp on that toe for many weeks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think he is referring to the 'home run' ability that Woodhead has. That is more akin to Megget or Sproles than Faulk.

Whether DW can ever be the kind of blocker or pass catcher that Kevin was, that is another argument altogether. But based purely on what I have seen from him thus far, he is a much more deadly open field threat that Kevin ever was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I think he is referring to the 'home run' ability that Woodhead has. That is more akin to Megget or Sproles than Faulk. Whether DW can ever be the kind of blocker or pass catcher that Kevin was, that is another argument altogether. But based purely on what I have seen from him thus far, he is a much more deadly open field threat that Kevin ever was.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Too man diff skills to lump all those guys as just '3rd down backs'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Faulk's strength was that he could do it all, and he was a threat to run or catch the ball on 3rd down while also being adept at blitz pickup.  I do agree though  that Woodhead looks to be more of a home run threat a la Sproles.  It will be interesting to see what types of situations they put him in to maximize the number of times he has the ball in his hands so we can see what we really have here.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Faulk's strength was that he could do it all, and he was a threat to run or catch the ball on 3rd down while also being adept at blitz pickup.  I do agree though  that Woodhead looks to be more of a home run threat a la Sproles.  It will be interesting to see what types of situations they put him in to maximize the number of times he has the ball in his hands so we can see what we really have here.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE] Here's what Faulk brought to this team: Leadership,consistancy, reliability,and a willingness to block the blitzing player that needed to be blocked,he also ran screens and circle routes to perfection and usually got the necessary yardage and more on most occasions. I think Woodhead has a huge chip on his shoulder and that he will be pure dynomite in this offense,I know he can catch the ball out of the backfield because I watched his youtube when he came out of Chadron State,the question will be can he block the bigger guys coming in after Tom? Time will tell but for now he is one option to replace Kevin Faulk and Hernandez and Edelman are the others.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Woodhead caught a ton of passes coming out of the backfield in college. I don't think that will be a problem. The biggest difference will be blitz pick up. He's much more dangerous than Faulk in the open field. Let's face it Faulk will be 35yrs old next year, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]Woodhead caught a ton of passes coming out of the backfield in college. I don't think that will be a problem. The biggest difference will be blitz pick up. He's much more dangerous than Faulk in the open field. Let's face it Faulk will be 35yrs old next year, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.
    Posted by dfitzp[/QUOTE]
    Faulk was one of the hardest working players on this team. He trimmed down during the offseason to increase his speed and it was noticeable by some sportswriters. Even so, he did not posess game breaking speed, however, he was still the most clutch 3rd down back in the NFL. He will be missed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

maybe this is too much to ask and with all due respect to our beloved kevin, i'd rather see woodhead mature into a marshall faulk

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reegz04. Show reegz04's posts

The Kid holds basically all rushing records for DII schools in the country ( Yeah Div 2 but still ) the kid can obviously run, I am excited about it, hope the Pats use him more and bring out his talents.. It may also be a good thing that I havent yet thrown out my Maroney Jersey...Might get  " Woodhead" sewn on the back....cheap fix..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from riogrande100. Show riogrande100's posts

[QUOTE]I think he is referring to the 'home run' ability that Woodhead has. That is more akin to Megget or Sproles than Faulk. Whether DW can ever be the kind of blocker or pass catcher that Kevin was, that is another argument altogether. But based purely on what I have seen from him thus far, he is a much more deadly open field threat that Kevin ever was.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly my point his home run ability is something we have missed in the backfied. his open field threat combined with welker, hernandez means teams can no longer have their safeties focusing on Moss, and maybe forced to come closer to the line to prevent space for these players. That leaves Moss for some choice one on one coverage.

As for Law Firm i reallt like him i remember back in 08 watching him against the Colts and he was fighting for yards, he seems to run with a chip on his shoulder a la marion barber. So i am optimistic about our offense.

Our defense is poor this year, but our offense if healthy is scary for opposing teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rick8795. Show Rick8795's posts

With this Woodhead, and Edelman, Welker the Pats are starting to look more like the smurfs.

He's got darty speed give him a halfway decent lane and he's going to make something out of it. Fun guy to watch....Rex Ryan you will regret this one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

yes Rick, but Hernandez, Gronk and Moss are the counter balance

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What has this guy got . . .  three carries?

Four?

Guys sit around here bashing Green New Jersey for a lack of depth at running back for months on end, now this guy -- who couldn't crack THAT team -- dons the Flying Elvis and suddenly he is the second coming of Dave Megget?

Oy!

Sections
Shortcuts