DaQuan Bowers update!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

DaQuan Bowers update!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/678750-2011-nfl-mock-draft-mocking-the-complete-first-round-with-teams-needs-40#/articles/678750-2011-nfl-mock-draft-mocking-the-complete-first-round-with-teams-needs-40/page/18

Bowers is a freakin' steal if he's healthy!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

Re: DaQuan Bowers update!!

In Response to Re: DaQuan Bowers update!!:
    [QUOTE]Awfully small. I'd rather have the high IQ Cameron Jordan than Bowers.  JJ Watt and then Jordan are my top two DE (3-4) choices in the 10-17 range. I'd look at Heyward at #28 if he was there. Wilkerson at #33 if he's there.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I like Wilkerson too, he looks like the real deal--Great energy for a big guy, he's very hard to block.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If it was just a red flag or two I might take him but there are a lot of things that just don't add up for him to be a Patriot.

#1 - The biggest is his knee. Many are saying that it's going to affect his longevity in the league. It also showed short term it's going to greatly affect him. He was very winded at his pro-day workout and many noted how it looked like his knee was affecting his performance. I wouldn't take a player that high who might only last in the league 3-4 years and the 1st year might be redshirted

#2 - He only had 1 year of production. His last year was a huge year for him but if you look at his previous 2 he basically came out of no where. If he had an upward trend in his college career I wouldn't question a monster year but when a player makes that big of a leap you have to take a second look and wonder what suddenly clicked and if he could keep it up

#3 - His size. He's to big and slow to be an elephant but way to small to be a 34 DE. It was pointed out that the Pats were in a sub package 57% of the time but failed to mention the injuries to the line forced them to play sub more then in previous years and that sub doesn't mean 43 it means something other then the base 34 so it could still be variation of the 3 front (such as dime which we were in a lot last season)

#4 - Other options. If this was a weaker DL class that would be one thing but there are so many 5 tech guys that are closer to ideal size without major injury concerns that why take a risk on a player with a single year of production, a major knee injury that hasn't fully healed yet, and isn't the ideal size. As pointed out you have players like Watt, Jordan, Heyward, Wilkerson all who fit what the Pats typically look for.

#5 - Not sure how much of the reports are true but he isn't known as a high motor guy. He's inconsistent on the field at times looking like super mario and others looking like well Brace. He's also been known to give up on plays when it moves away from him. Again these are just reports I heard but coming from multiple sources that does become a factor to me. Maybe why his first couple years he was average at best then suddenly turned it on when he was getting ready to enter the draft?

When you start to add them all up it doesn't make sense to grab him at #17. If he somehow slipped to the 2nd I would take the risk then but not at #17

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Bowers or Quinn, I rate these as the top choices in the draft for us that potentialy could make it out of top10 and land in effective trade up position.

I would also love to draft Chris Carter from Fresno late 2nd.

The diff in strength between Bowers and Wikerson is just amazing. He would send Wilk running for his mother. Being big and athletic means nothing at the NFL level if you don't also have the mental part. You need the passion and drive to be just mean out there and hurt people. Wilk doesn't have it. Watch some more tape please. Wilk is the one guy that just makes me mad to hear as a 1st round prospect. I think he is the big draft surprise drop, team GM's are too smart ( i hope ) to fall into the hype built upon projected upside.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

If it was just a red flag or two I might take him but there are a lot of things that just don't add up for him to be a Patriot. #1 - The biggest is his knee. Many are saying that it's going to affect his longevity in the league. It also showed short term it's going to greatly affect him. He was very winded at his pro-day workout and many noted how it looked like his knee was affecting his performance. I wouldn't take a player that high who might only last in the league 3-4 years and the 1st year might be redshirted #2 - He only had 1 year of production. His last year was a huge year for him but if you look at his previous 2 he basically came out of no where. If he had an upward trend in his college career I wouldn't question a monster year but when a player makes that big of a leap you have to take a second look and wonder what suddenly clicked and if he could keep it up #3 - His size. He's to big and slow to be an elephant but way to small to be a 34 DE. It was pointed out that the Pats were in a sub package 57% of the time but failed to mention the injuries to the line forced them to play sub more then in previous years and that sub doesn't mean 43 it means something other then the base 34 so it could still be variation of the 3 front (such as dime which we were in a lot last season) #4 - Other options. If this was a weaker DL class that would be one thing but there are so many 5 tech guys that are closer to ideal size without major injury concerns that why take a risk on a player with a single year of production, a major knee injury that hasn't fully healed yet, and isn't the ideal size. As pointed out you have players like Watt, Jordan, Heyward, Wilkerson all who fit what the Pats typically look for. #5 - Not sure how much of the reports are true but he isn't known as a high motor guy. He's inconsistent on the field at times looking like super mario and others looking like well Brace. He's also been known to give up on plays when it moves away from him. Again these are just reports I heard but coming from multiple sources that does become a factor to me. Maybe why his first couple years he was average at best then suddenly turned it on when he was getting ready to enter the draft? When you start to add them all up it doesn't make sense to grab him at #17. If he somehow slipped to the 2nd I would take the risk then but not at #17
    Posted by PatsEng

I wish they would move up and take Quinn or Watt, those are my two locks but if they stay put I'd take Wilkerson if he's there. I really like Ryan Kerrigan, we haven't had a fast edge pass rusher like him in a while. It would be nice to start putting pressure on some opposing QB's for once. I would love to see him next to Mayo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

If it was just a red flag or two I might take him but there are a lot of things that just don't add up for him to be a Patriot. #1 - The biggest is his knee. Many are saying that it's going to affect his longevity in the league. It also showed short term it's going to greatly affect him. He was very winded at his pro-day workout and many noted how it looked like his knee was affecting his performance. I wouldn't take a player that high who might only last in the league 3-4 years and the 1st year might be redshirted #2 - He only had 1 year of production. His last year was a huge year for him but if you look at his previous 2 he basically came out of no where. If he had an upward trend in his college career I wouldn't question a monster year but when a player makes that big of a leap you have to take a second look and wonder what suddenly clicked and if he could keep it up #3 - His size. He's to big and slow to be an elephant but way to small to be a 34 DE. It was pointed out that the Pats were in a sub package 57% of the time but failed to mention the injuries to the line forced them to play sub more then in previous years and that sub doesn't mean 43 it means something other then the base 34 so it could still be variation of the 3 front (such as dime which we were in a lot last season) #4 - Other options. If this was a weaker DL class that would be one thing but there are so many 5 tech guys that are closer to ideal size without major injury concerns that why take a risk on a player with a single year of production, a major knee injury that hasn't fully healed yet, and isn't the ideal size. As pointed out you have players like Watt, Jordan, Heyward, Wilkerson all who fit what the Pats typically look for. #5 - Not sure how much of the reports are true but he isn't known as a high motor guy. He's inconsistent on the field at times looking like super mario and others looking like well Brace. He's also been known to give up on plays when it moves away from him. Again these are just reports I heard but coming from multiple sources that does become a factor to me. Maybe why his first couple years he was average at best then suddenly turned it on when he was getting ready to enter the draft? When you start to add them all up it doesn't make sense to grab him at #17. If he somehow slipped to the 2nd I would take the risk then but not at #17
    Posted by PatsEng

Bowers dad died last August, this is a tramatic event in the life of a kid any age. A guess is that to have your dad die so young and to have never had him see you live up to your potential as a man ( on or off the footbal field ) would really light a fire under you to go and take it out on the team lining up opposite.

I think this type of ( awakening ) to what you are capable of out there is something that is sustainable throught his career.

I think if he steped up just because of draft stock and $ he could not have been half as productive out there as he was. It was just to much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DaQuan Bowers update!! : Bowers dad died last August, this is a tramatic event in the life of a kid any age. A guess is that to have your dad die so young and to have never had him see you live up to your potential as a man ( on or off the footbal field ) would really light a fire under you to go and take it out on the team lining up opposite. I think this type of ( awakening ) to what you are capable of out there is something that is sustainable throught his career. I think if he steped up just because of draft stock and $ he could not have been half as productive out there as he was. It was just to much.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

This is a very good point Asher, he played inspired ball after his Dad died. There's a good chance thet motivation will drive him threw is NFL career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Bowers also was a highschool RB KR like alot of these defensive guys were but it does show his athletic ability.

Not saying he could play in coverage on a regular basis but i did see him do it on tape, I also think he has the technique and raw power to take on OL bigger than himself and could play on the line for a few downs.

This in my mind makes him a perfect fit for us in the age of these quick personel changes. Other teams could not guess how he will be used each play.

I have watched more tape on this guy than any other ( tons available ) and I did not see any plays taken off, far the opposite, this guys motor never ever stops.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DaQuan Bowers update!! : This is a very good point Asher, he played inspired ball after his Dad died. There's a good chance thet motivation will drive him threw is NFL career.
    Posted by TeddyBruski54[/QUOTE]

He also joined his father's gospel band ( shows in my mind he is embracing the event and tring to grow from it ).

This in stark contrast to what made Hernandez drop so far in last years draft. It wasn't the pot, it was the fact his father died and Hernandez mentaly ran from it. Pot was a side effect but the overall depression from the event debilitated him and scared teams away.

I watched many of Bowers interviews and you can see the huge diff from the punk kid who signed on at Clemson and the guy who left there last fall. It is night and day. He seems very humble and sure of himself now, sounds like a real team player and coachable.

Watt gave me a huge red flag during one of his interviews. He said that his job as a defensive player was to rush the quarteback and create pressure in the pocket. He said defense should be fun. ( wish i had a link handy or exact words ) He said he would not want to play in a 3-4 scheme like NE and control a gap. He is about stats and haveing a chance to go get his own.

I will find the link if you don't beleive it.

This scares me because i think he would not be really happy in NE and that would hurt his production out there. We don't need a player wishing for something he wasn't going to ever get here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

In Response to Re: DaQuan Bowers update!! : He also joined his father's gospel band ( shows in my mind he is embracing the event and tring to grow from it ). This in stark contrast to what made Hernandez drop so far in last years draft. It wasn't the pot, it was the fact his father died and Hernandez mentaly ran from it. Pot was a side effect but the overall depression from the event debilitated him and scared teams away. I watched many of Bowers interviews and you can see the huge diff from the punk kid who signed on at Clemson and the guy who left there last fall. It is night and day. He seems very humble and sure of himself now, sounds like a real team player and coachable. Watt gave me a huge red flag during one of his interviews. He said that his job as a defensive player was to rush the quarteback and create pressure in the pocket. He said defense should be fun. ( wish i had a link handy or exact words ) He said he would not want to play in a 3-4 scheme like NE and control a gap. He is about stats and haveing a chance to go get his own. I will find the link if you don't beleive it. This scares me because i think he would not be really happy in NE and that would hurt his production out there. We don't need a player wishing for something he wasn't going to ever get here.
    Posted by Asher77

I believe you becuase he's not the only pass-rusher that doesn't want to play here for that same reason. A great DL could still get 8-10 sacks in our system, we're going to be playing with the lead in most games. But these kids equate sacks with getting more money in their next contract.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeddyBruski54. Show TeddyBruski54's posts

I just watched his game against Florida St. --  He can do it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTEzVBDrrw&feature=related

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: DaQuan Bowers update!! : Bowers dad died last August, this is a tramatic event in the life of a kid any age. A guess is that to have your dad die so young and to have never had him see you live up to your potential as a man ( on or off the footbal field ) would really light a fire under you to go and take it out on the team lining up opposite. I think this type of ( awakening ) to what you are capable of out there is something that is sustainable throught his career. I think if he steped up just because of draft stock and $ he could not have been half as productive out there as he was. It was just to much.
    Posted by Asher77

That motivation is dangerous sometimes. Sometimes it does exactly what you say and is a driving factor throughout his life sometimes is temporary where once his goal is met (ie nfl) there can be a drop off or if he doesn't find immediate success there can be a large drop off. It can go either way but given his history of giving up on plays and inconsistencies in his play it might be more of the latter then the former unfortunately. But then again he could come out and become a beast. The only thing I could say is that with the #17 pick you have to be sure about a guys motivation and I can't say I'm sure about his ability to play without that huge emotional burst he got after his father died or if he'd even fit our system given his size, speed, and knee. One thing to think about (and I hope this isn't him) but after his father died he took over the role of bread winner for the family. What happens once he gets paid and there no longer is motivation for him to succeed further to feed his family. What happens if his promise to his father was to make the NFL and the emotional wave he rode to succeed in that goal disappears after he is drafted? Just to much of a chance to take on a team that should contend for the SB every year.

However if what you say is correct about Watt then I wouldn't want him. But I'd still rather have Heyward, Wilkerson, Jordan, Quinn, or Kerrigan before Bowers just because I feel that even though Bowers has more upside there are to many question marks surrounding Bowers to justify selecting him over the others.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I agree with you there are risks with Bowers but the argument to that is that there are risks with almost all players when you look. Watt was a guy thought to have none but I saw one in his interviews, maybe it isn't an issue with Watt and that he just needs some coaching up with BB to buy into what were selling.

My point is I think we over analyze alot ( and it is fun to do in some cases ) when we don't have a solid ground to stand on. In the end we like to use our gut instinct and I think unfortuanatly media can drive those instincts even when we try not to let them.

Bowers knee is a big issue but if he checks out there I think the biggest factor has to be what we see on the field and the fact it was just one year is a negative but the absolute dominance he displayed was amazing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jontarbox. Show jontarbox's posts

My wish list
    Pats use 17 and 60 to trade up for Quinn.....take Bowers at 28(I don't think he will fall that far)and use 33 on the best available RB..Ingram/Leshoure/Williams,BB has a knack for finding good O-line in later rounds use the 3rd rounders on the o-line

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to DaQuan Bowers update!!:
    [QUOTE]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/678750-2011-nfl-mock-draft-mocking-the-complete-first-round-with-teams-needs-40#/articles/678750-2011-nfl-mock-draft-mocking-the-complete-first-round-with-teams-needs-40/page/18  Bowers is a freakin' steal if he's healthy!
    Posted by TeddyBruski54[/QUOTE]

Bowers to the Patriots = Smokescreen City.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

If the Patriots stay at 17 and he falls they will take him..knee not an issue unless he can't play..Belichick only keeps most players for 5 years most anyways 60maxpowero.com

Sections
Shortcuts